Masters Running

Wednesday, May 14th Daily Running Thread (Read 554 times)

Good morning to all! Another day and another fender bender for Brittney Spears.....her second in the last month or so. Well, we have managed already to get to the noted "hump" day of the week......Wednesday. Some weeks go fast.........other weeks seemingly go on forever. For me this is a "fast" week. A couple of weeks ago I talked about re-evaluation of goals. In yesterday's post I mentioned that I am changing my mileage goal for the year from 1,000 miles to 2,000 KM. I am positioned now almost exactly half way between the two levels. My thinking is that since I enjoy running more in the heat of the summer, I should be coming up on some good running days. The amount that I am behind the 2,000 KM pace is only about 46 miles so that is not a lot to make up over 7 1/2 months. I already made the 1,000 mile level last year, so it is a good base to work from. That being said.......maybe you want to adjust your goals. Wildchild mentioned that she might make the same goal jump and I see that she is now entered in the 2,000 KM pace bunny group. Good for you. I looked up people in the 1,000 mile pace bunny group who post on this daily. Several of you are ALREADY running enough miles to be in the 2,000 KM group even though you are registered in the 1,000 mile group. Teresadfp is one and she is already on the 2,000 KM list. Aamos also is on both pace group lists Others who are candidates would be Hopeful4ever, BCMorant, Haillar, and Jlynne. All of you have enough to add this next level. Just a suggestion. Also, for some who may have set a goal that time, injuries, and life itself is preventing you from reaching the goal you had at the start of the year, don't be afraid to DOWNSCALE your goal so that you have an acheivable goal. Since we can be in more than one pace group on this website, it is easy to make the change or addition. SO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU TO STAY MOTIVATED! These are IRC days for temperatures locally. We are not seeing a build up of humidity. Enjoy! Have a good day!
    Vista

Marathon Maniac #3309

I was going to start out, but I waited... your start ups are waaay better than mine Smile Look forward to what you add. Have a great hump day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning! Vista - this is one of those long weeks for me. I'd much rather be home with all my new babies. I have been considering bumping up to the 2,000km group and your post has encouraged me to do so. I'll make a point of it today - thank you! Unscheduled rest day for me. I found yesterday afternoon that my quads were sore after yesterday's 4 mile run. So, is more recovery time necessary after a 25K? I had taken two days off completely. The thunder in the early morning hours and light rain at 5 a.m. along with a spooky wind helped me decide to just take it easy today. Happy Hump Day!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Viata ... great encouragement. Why are runs so wonderful when you are stuck working 14hr days? They really are! Another Wild Wonderful West Virginia run today. With that hill I got almost to heaven Smile 10 miles in 1:26:33 (8:39 pace, AHR 156, Max 171) Once over the first hill there was nice rolling along creeks in woods. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Me

Good morning, 4 miles for me this morning. Mike
              Good morning Boomers. Cross training day today - 5 miles on the eliptical trainer in 35 minutes followed by ab and leg work. Now I begin the taper for the half marathon on Sunday. Weather forecast looks promising as the rain and storms predicted for Friday and Saturday should move out in time for the race. I'm always doubtful about the training I've put in - was it enough, could I have done things differently? But, it is what it is and I'm just going to run for the enjoyment of it. Vista - thought about notching up to the 2,000 mile club, but I'm not a good summer runner. I hate heat and humidity, so my miles usually go down during July and August. Thanks for mentioning it, though - I'll think about it. Perch - looking at your graph almost put me in cardiac arrest! What a run you had this morning - keep up the good work. Mary, I think you're entitled to a couple of rest days after a 25K. How are the puppies doing? I looked at your website yesterday - they sure are adorable. Nice run by Mr. White this morning. Two more weeks of school, and the kids have been full of p--- and vinegar lately! The seniors have an "I'm graduating and I don't give a damn" attitude these last couple of weeks. Hope we can all hang on until the end. Good runs, everyone. Jeanne

The Jogger

Morning Gang Jeanne, good luck with your half on Sunday, Vista, I hadn't set a goal as such but hopefully I should make the 2,000K MARY, I didn't know you raced will check out you report, looked at the log 10:02 great pace...Steve how did you get that graph on there, looks like a great run.... I did a 8 m hilly trail today, the good news is the hip seems to be getting better, the bad news is, no Edinburgh mara Black eye I made the decision, I want to be fully trained and fully fit for my first marathon, the next time I mention anything about me doing a marathon on here it will be in a race report, when, don't know but this year. Anyway 8m 01:31:11 @ 11:24 AHR 149 70% BP 120/71 RHR 46 Good Runs All Roy
                  Good morning, all! Vista - I slept in and missed the latest Brittney Spears antics. With any luck the hoopla will die down before the next newscast. Thanks for the kickoff! Mary - loved the puppy pics - Hannah is wonderful! Teresa - congrats on the new milestone - the aerial picture is terrific! Tim - don't be shy - start us off when you have the opportunity ;-). Perch - if your graph was an inkblot, my word association would be "vampire". Must be one awesome hill. Jeanne - good luck with your half marathon - hope the weather is good. Don't second guess your training - you'll do fine. Roy - don't knock yourself for having the common sense to cancel the marathon. I'm glad to hear that your hip is doing better, and I think you are smart to wait until you are 100% before tackling the big race. Your training is coming along well, and you will have a much better time in the long run. Rest day for me today (yes, btb, I'm slacking). Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

King of PhotoShop

Was going to get in a 3-miler before I fly out today but we are getting lightning. I don't like to run in lightning, so I will take today off, then run early in the morning tomorrow in NJ. Mary, here is a suggestion for next time you run a long race or have a hard workout. Don't take the next day off. Instead, make yourself go out there for 30 minutes of very slow jogging, and intersperse it with walk breaks if you must. That is your recovery run. You will heal faster that way. Take the day after your recovery day off. The idea is that you get your sore muscles working right away, and the increased HR helps blood flow and recovery. By taking two days off after your 25K you probably slowed your recovery, and that is why your quads feel sore. They should be okay tomorrow. Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks Ribs! I'll remember that next time . . . .

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

dg.

morning everybody, Roy, I was just going to ask about you... perch your graph makes me want to say wheeeeee safe travels, Ribs. not the best day again, but still happy to be there running. 4.49 miles total, 3.39 running. 11:01 average pace, 9:31 max. 169 ahr, 185 max. still have a sore throat, and really tired. couldn't finish all my x-training yesterday, a bit shakey. so I keep telling myself that when that goes away all will be well.Smile. right leg seems a bit off-- like someone should take it & pull it & twist it around. hip flexors would rather not flex... so my stride feels off. does that sound familiar to anybody, or is it too vague? not sure what it is or what to do. still wonder about the track direction, but other people have confirmed what your doc said, Sue. I would much prefer not to break something right now. hurried this morning, will catch up later. have a great day.
                          No run yet today but did my 4 at MP last night and scheduled for 5 later today. I was just thinking about you Roy! I am glad you made the hard decision but I was worried that your training was interupted at just the wrong time. I have been following your training as we both are doing our first and have been on the same basic schedule. Even without missing any major days of running I know this will be very challaging for me and knew that you would have had a hard time out there. So way to "man up" and do the right thing.I know how hard of a decision that must have been.I am looking forward to hearing about your first and I am sure it will come soon enough. Best of luck to you. Vista, I was just looking at the bunny races last night and seen that wildchild has also made the jump. Now that Hopefull is going to the 1500 mile club I guess thats where I'll go also. I was thinking the 2000 k but what the heck being behind the bunny is the motivation anyway. Good luck Jeanne Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

No running today but was out late last night so I get to post yesterday's intervals Very very difficult day. 3K warm up 1200 at sub 10K pace, then 2 minutes rest then 800 faster, then 45 seconds rest, then 400 then 45 seconds rest and then reverse laddered X 3 3K cooldown My legs were like bricks, my heart like a sputtering freight engine and I hit the wall after two circuits. It was hell. and my coach has now grouped me with the two fastest runners due to my sub 36K 10K... Awfully hard. My body was telling me it was very tired yesterday, which I can expect and is a good sign Take care guys Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Mariposai

Great advice there SpareRibs about the recovery run. I must remember that next time I race or do my LR. I guess I did a 4 miles easy a-la Spareribs recovery run this morning. The legs felt amazingly well after my 9 in 90 minutes run yesterday afternoon, which by the way contained two hills in miles 3 and 8 thus presenting the big challenge to speed up a bit in the flatter miles to finish the run in 90 minutes. How is heaving feeling like Perch? When you come back to earth you are going to be one strong runner since you are doing so many hills in 14 days. Cool. BTW, how do you post the graphics?? Off to get the passport renewed for my son #2. We have only just a little over 3 weeks before he goes off to Japan. Much to do to get ready. Wildchild, he got his scholarship from Youth for Understanding (YFU). Great organization to work with.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

....vista, you're up early this morning//..........raining like crazy today, probably NOT gonna be a hiking event....... =========== x-bike......30min.......20-steps Up/20-steps down........knee twingy, but improved...... good running to the rest of ya......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....