Masters Running

Tall's gone to the Dark Side - Need advice from Ultra Runner's (Read 482 times)

Okay so next year I am going to run the Canadian Death Race Surprised http://www.canadiandeathrace.com/ Yes I have gone crazy but with the advent of turning 45 next February and a mind to run one killer of a race once in my life this is the race that has me interested. What events and what are the timing of the events that you would suggest ahead of this crazy 125K all terrain extreme adventure race course on very challenging terrain including three mountain summits and 17,000 feet of elevation change. Bring on the grizzlies and who's running with me! The race is next August and I cannot wait. Now what do I do? Crazy Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

The race is next August and I cannot wait. Now what do I do? Crazy Tall
      Pray?

Be safe. Be kind.

The race is next August and I cannot wait. Now what do I do? Crazy Tall
        I echo Tramps' comment. Big grin Have you ever done any trail running? What's the longest distance you've ever run? Go talk to the folks at Kickrunners Extreme. A very knowledgeable crowd who are more than willing to give advice and tell you if they think you might be in over your head. Big grin I just watched a whole slew of experience folks run the Headlands Hundred - - Good luck!!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I love challenges...sounds like not many people are giving me a chance. Just the way I like it... Tall Big grin

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

I love challenges...sounds like not many people are giving me a chance. Just the way I like it... Tall Big grin
            I'd never bet against you regarding anything you set your mind to do. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I understand the challenge , in fact I went and looked at the site.. that skull in the home page speaks loud and clear... If only I didn't have work ,kids and husband to hold my feet on the ground I would consider an adventure of the sort myself... good thing I have all of the above... Just one thought, super speedy one, forget about speed with that race, sounds like it will be all about survival! Good luck and keep us posted.. Francesca
                I think to celebrate my turning 45 next January I will eat a big piece of chocolate cake, drink lots of wine and buy some more running stuff that I probably don't need. I have full confidence that you can pull this off.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

I know quite a few people who have done the death race. From what I hear, it is as tough as it sounds, and the likelihood of encountering bear is quite high. Perhaps that's a plus or a minus Smile Good luck!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tall....Death Race, I just hope you make it out alive. I have been seeking something too that's extreme...I understand dude... I will turn 50 next March, and time is running out, lol. 45....your a young pup! Maybe a full IM Triathlon for me would suffice...2.4 mile swim, 112 cycling, then a 26.2 Marathon run...yeah, that will do the trick. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good Luck Tall... You've done great at every other distance,I can't imagine anything less than your best...
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      arf

MM #405

Congrats on signing up for this Tall! I know many ultra runners here in Alberta that have run all or parts of it and the stories that they have told me....well, let's just say I'm not ready for the challenge just yet, but I'm sure YOU are, because you are one crazy dude! Big grin Here's my advice on ways to prepare for this... - WEIGHTS...strengthen your quads and glutes, (hill-running muscles), as much as possible at the gym. - you HAVE to train on rocky, steep mountainous trails...do you have access to any? - You HAVE to walk, (climb) the very steep uphills so teach yourself to run with speed and confidence on the downhills to make up some time. - You must train your body to be able to take in and assimilate as much solid food as possible....many people have run into problems here with a lot of vomiting because they started eating too late in the race and couldn't keep anything down. - Run some "over-nighters"...begin a long training run in the evening, just as the sun is going down, run through the night and into the early morning hours until the sun comes up and see how this affects your energy and know that physically and mentally your body will want to sleep and you need to push through that desire and keep moving forward. Running loops near your house or your car is good so you can stop and eat and drink every few hours. - You need looooong hours on preferably mountainous trails, or hilly roads to get ready for this Tall. - Races - Let's see, it's almost November, you need to do a long training run every 2 or 3 weeks. I know it will be hard through the winter, but keep adding a half hour or an hour to these long runs until you are at about 35 miles or so...then you will be ready to race a few 50 milers. Do you have any in your area during the months of March, April, May or even June. And NO RACING in July! You can do it Tall, if anyone's got the mental strength to pull this off it's you. The only thing that you will have to be very careful about is not to let yourself go out too fast over the first half, force yourself to walk those steep hills and eat, eat, eat as much as you comfortably can, especially the first 50 - 70 KM, because it is so hard to eat and keep it down in the very late stages of these tough races. "Don't Accept Average Habits...Open Your Heart and PUSH The Limits"....Enigma Winkarf

Top 'O the World!

I'm looking fwd to following your training! Wink
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            PDR had been talking about doing an ultra, but has thankfully come to her senses. Best of luck in this -- I'm sure you'll do well, as you do do well in all you put your mind to.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Well, in the race description it says "You must truly have the curiosity of a cat, the constitution of an ox, and the spirit of adventure." This sure fits you, Tall! But after reading Arf's excellent description of the training involved (racing a "few 50 milers" as part of training! Shocked) I'm wondering if you might consider putting together a relay team instead. Each section of the race sounds tough and fun, but the whole thing together sounds tough and not fun.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Heh, I'm with Enke 100% on this one. I see Arf gave you some good advice so I think you've got the best info available. When I first saw the Dark Side comment, I thought you'd gotten yourself a treadmill! Glad to hear it's nothing nearly so drastic...