Masters Running

TGI Friday September 21 (Read 36 times)

Starting us off but no fun recap since I have to get my butt moving.    2.2 low HR miles which felt terrible- still 20 degrees above normal here.

Great reports yesterday- work successes and future race planning.    Have a greta Friday,y'all.   I'll check back later to hear all the good news of the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry about the heat, KSA.

There are many great people on this forum, but based on yesterday's posts alone, Holly and Mariposai are two people I'd want to have in my corner if I ever got into a jam.

Regarding my diagnosis yesterday (posterior tibialis tendon dysfunction), DW said didn't know anything about the first three words, but that she's known about the 'dysfunction' part of me for years. Gotta love that lady... 

I got a surprise at the annual meeting of the organization for which I'm retiring as RD for the fundraiser 5K after doing it for 20 years. They gave me/us a gift certificate for a hotel stay in NH's White Mountains, plus a generous amount of cash to spend when we take that trip. I am very grateful, but also feel that I am so undeserving.

4.8 EZ RW miles this morning in 57° before sunup. My ankle was OK, but it felt good to get it into a brace when I got dressed afterwards. I'm going in an hour or so to get fitted for orthotics, and will be interested to see how much of a difference they make.

Have a greta Friday and weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

''. I am very grateful, but also feel that I am so undeserving.,,,''

...........the Good Ones always do.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry about the heat, KSA.

There are many great people on this forum, but based on yesterday's posts alone, Holly and Mariposai are two people I'd want to have in my corner if I ever got into a jam.

Regarding my diagnosis yesterday (posterior tibialis tendon dysfunction), DW said didn't know anything about the first three words, but that she's known about the 'dysfunction' part of me for years. Gotta love that lady... 

I got a surprise at the annual meeting of the organization for which I'm retiring as RD for the fundraiser 5K after doing it for 20 years. They gave me/us a gift certificate for a hotel stay in NH's White Mountains, plus a generous amount of cash to spend when we take that trip. I am very grateful, but also feel that I am so undeserving.

4.8 EZ RW miles this morning in 57° before sunup. My ankle was OK, but it felt good to get it into a brace when I got dressed afterwards. I'm going in an hour or so to get fitted for orthotics, and will be interested to see how much of a difference they make.

Have a greta Friday and weekend!

Jay

somehow, I feel like my DW would get along famously with yours, Jay.  I also agree with your choices, but will also note that there seem to a wide variety of skill sets that would be useful to have on your side depending on the variety of jam.  And probably some that would have gotten you INTO that jam in the first place   No, I wasn't thinking about Steve at all.

3.1 lake loop miles this morning, same temps as Jay.  I've decided that the extra hour and a half that I generally sleep on the weekend is worth 30-45 sec/miles in improved pace over the early morning weekday times.  Effort feels pretty much the same.  Good thing most races aren't at 5:30am. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

+1

yoga this morning, followed by bagel walk.  went to piano yesterday on my bike but the rear tire was flat so went home & drove.  turned out both tires needed air - not flat, so 'scheduling' some biking in.

have a greta friday!

+1   They're the best!  And a well-deserved "award" for you Jay. No one does more for his community than you do.

Thanks for starting us out this morning KSA. Hope it cools down a little. How's your foot today?

Hi Tom!!

How about those Cleveland Browns?! You think they'd won the Super Bowl! And I'm wondering how the Jets are feeling, seeing as how they were the first team to lose to them in like 2 years.

We got more rain overnight. And a brand new crop of mosquitoes have hatched. So bad we've got too many in our house to count. We can't figure out how they're getting in though.  An hour on the elliptical this morning and 20 minutes of weights and stretching. DH and I are playing 18 holes of golf in a couple of hours. Off to spray myself with Off.

Have a great Friday!

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Nancy and Holly - getting it done!  Great work.

And Jay - very deserving.  If you break it down by the hours you worked as the RD versus this nice gesture - you are still volunteering.

Yesterday - 8 miles on the TM in the cardio cinema while watching Hot Shots.

"What do you do with an elephant with three balls?"

Today - spinnerooni at lunch, and maybe some fizzy lifting.  22 miler planned this weekend.  Oh boy, oh boy.

What a wonderful gift, Jay, and certainly well-deserved.  Enjoy it!

anneb

TGIF finally. For some reason, this week has seemed longer than most.

Very nice gift, Jay! I'm sure you are more than deserving. Nice work Holly and Mariposai!

We've only had 1 day this week of really hot weather (yesterday - 93 new record at ORD); at 6am today it was still 79 for my run. Tomorrow, I'm expecting the temps to be cooler by 20+ degrees. I guess it's fitting for the last morning of summer! 4.5 miles for me around the dark neighborhood this morning, at least it was windy.

Anne

Imposter syndrome. I had that in college track! Actually, in all of college; track, classes, social groups, etc...

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

And a well-deserved "award" for you Jay. No one does more for his community than you do.

No doubt!

Twocat - you have been cracking me up daily with your rehab recaps....

I just found out that one of my runner friends -used to be a neighbor as well - had her 10yo twin niece and nephew murdered by their father a couple weeks ago in a murder-suicide.  I cannot even imagine.

Today the high will be near 90 degrees, but the storms coming in this afternoon/evening are bringing a cold front, and the highs for the 10-day forecast are in the 60's and 70's, and we should have nights in the 40's next week. Goodbye summer....

Legs were tired this morning, and I am planning my LR for tomorrow, so only went 2 miles.  DH and I are doing a golf tournament with another couple that starts at 1:30, so heading out for lunch in a bit and then an afternoon in the lovely outdoors enjoying the last day of summer sun (and wind, apparently, but that's okay).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

That is horrible, Holly.  How devastating and senseless.    What a world this is!

evanflein

Geez, Holly, can't even imagine what sort of madness would drive someone to do that.

I agree there are rockstars everywhere in this forum!

I know I owe you guys a race report. I've got all DH's photos downloaded, just need to sort through them. I've been a little busy. BUT, here's a great article about the Equinox written by a woman from Palmer. She sums up pretty well why I love this race.

Rain, rain, rain, rain here all day, and probably all weekend. I was going to run this afternoon but don't know if I will. Since I'm supposed to be in "recovery mode" (right?), it doesn't really matter, I guess.

...40-min ARC.......

which is ironic

given the amount of Rain we're expecting

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - congratulations.

You guys are in my corner more than you know.

Somehow, when other runners accuse me of probably

having very insensitive feet, it always seems like I've heard

it before, . . . but not necessarily about my feet. .

here's a great article about the Equinox written by a woman from Palmer. She sums up pretty well why I love this race.

Me too.
                                It took nine miles before I believed the toughness part though

It's still the most beautiful run of all 220 in the last 42 years.

Just looking at the newly-fallen birch leaves on the rich soil

brings back the special fragrance of fall up there too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)