Masters Running

Tuesday, January 12 Daily Runs and Such (Read 498 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I finally got a really good nights sleep, so getting up to run was not such a daunting task today.    I heard the weather lady say that it was 17° with single digit windchills, but didn't wait to see which single digit it was.    Didn't want her number to change my mind.   Brinkley wasn't going to let me ditch the run anyway - he was all geeked up as soon as I turned my Garmin on.

4 miles - 10:05 / 10:04 / 9:59 / 10:09 which I was pretty happy with.  

Our tone zone instructor is on vacation until Thursday, so last night I put in the Wii Fit and found out it has been 301 days since I last used it and that I have gained 8.3 pounds too!   

I'm sorry to read that Sue and JLynne had such terrible weather for the Disney races.   Not to mention the terrible staging and preperation.   Those races were on my to-do list until reading all the posts yesterday.

Happy Tuesday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Mary, 

Woke to another 1 inch snow overnight

We had 15 straight days of snow then none (0, zip,nada) on Sunday, yeah!

Mostly just 1 or 2 inch snows, biggest was 3 in the evening then 2 more overnite for 5 in 12 hours

DD made it home from Texas trip last night, Cleveland airport had power outage Sunday & had to shutdown so they were backed up yesterday.

No run for me today, shopping for new family room furniture tonight w/DW

We are going to give DS the old stuff when he's ready to make the move

Disney runners did an awesome job, I guess Sue completed the goofy, fantastic!

I like to avoid those point to point races that bus you to the start

Mount Desert Island they return you on buses & there's a open school for after the run.

Niagara Falls bused to the Art Museum in Buffalo for shelter which was very nice

Enjoy!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Oops two daily threads!

I put my DS's bedroom set on Craigslist and got 5 email replies within 2 hours.  Sold it the same night.  Wow!

I had a nice run this morning. Not quite as cold and not quite as windy. I think this deep freeze down here may be easing. 7 miles total. 4 miles easy to warm up, 2 miles at HM pace (7:54, 7:51 a bit quick), then 1 mile to cool down.

Have a great day everyone.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Hello Gang

Hallar, Erika, Divechief and anyone else battling injuries, niggles and twinges.....My sympathies. I'm so happy to be back on the road to recovery and wish you all the same !

5.35 miles today. 15 min warm up, 15 mins @ HM pace, 15 mins cool down. I used a treadmill because our roads are not conducive to tempo work right now.  We have that gray crystalized snow and sand mix that doesn't melt or pack......just kinda squishes out from underneath your feet. Tough to get traction. Gives you a good workout though.

Nice run Bill !

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Eliz – good luck with your grad class.

Woods Lady – congratulations on your PR!

Perch – ouch!  On both counts (the fall and the arthroscopy).  What is the recovery time for Thursday’s procedure?

Leslie – I bet your cats help with your décor, though.  My cat, Max, likes to lounge on shelves or the desk and casually shove items off the edge.  That’s how Daisy (the dog) gets half her new chew toys.

{{{Wildchild’s shin}}}  {{{Halllar’s foot}}}

4 recovery-paced miles outside in 21° (ave 10:48), followed by this on the TM:

(2 min. @ 8:20/1 min. @ 10:00/1 min. @ 7:19/1 min. @ 10:00)  x 4

.75 mile CD

7.25 miles total

My legs felt inexplicably dead today, no energy to speak of in spite of yesterday’s pseudo rest day.  Ah well, some days are like that.

I have the night off tonight from the tax job.  Whew! 

Grocery shopping instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Enjoy your night off tonight Holly. Please take half an hour to pamper yourself.

Perch, good luck on that procedure! 

Sue, jlynne, sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Disney marathon. I guess I am not going to be doing that one in the near future.

slo, it is sure good to see you back to running.

Francesca's Rr is an inspiration. A must read. She is one tough runner.

4 miles this morning on tired legs. The ex. session I did last night at the Winter Wellness program really bit up my legs. So, easy and super slow miles were necessary for me today.

Hallar, I think I will be ordering "Born to run", you sold me to it.

Erika, with all the Xtraining you are doing I think you will be in pretty good shape for Boston. I wish I could be there to walk/run it with you.

Butterfly hugs to all those who wish to run, but can't.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Leslie--impressive quake; glad all is okay.

Perch--ouch.  Hope all goes well and you get some relief.

A poor tempo Tuesday for me.  Legs just felt like lead from the start.  I suspect I'm still feeling the efffects of Sunday's hills.  It was also warmer than I realized (about 28F) and I was overdressed and overheated.  I had 5 tempo miles on the schedule but stopped halfway on a hill for a breather, so it was really 2 x 2.5 @ 7:15; 9 miles total. Meh.  I think I'll try a slower pace next week.

Be safe. Be kind.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone,

Happy Birthday Eliz have fun seeing Wicked today.

6 miles for me today: 3 mi wu in 29:14 and then 6x400m intervals w/400m recoveries. Goal pace was 1:46-1:52 w/2-3 min recovery:

1. 1:48 (2:39 recovery)

2. 1:50 (2:46 recovery)

3. 1:49 (2:43 recovery)

4. 1:48 (2:43 recovery)

5. 1:51 (2:42 recovery)

6. 1:51 (3:00 recovery)

Felt very strong after each one. May have to cut down the recovery closer to 2:00).

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

dg.

I am so behind!!     Didn't even know Perch fell. .    No time to catch up now, just wanted to say hi & do a short report.

yesterday. rest.   40 min. core stuff, light shoveling & a Sadie walk.

today.. 7 miles at the gym, (see Holly & Mary, I am the champion wuss) about a 10 minute pace.  4 striders at the end but I might have pushed them too hard, according to my hamstrings.   Oh... they found my foot pod at the gym!  I wasn't even going to replace it, just too expensive.  I'm so relieved.

hugs to all.

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh... they found my foot pod at the gym!  I wasn't even going to replace it, just too expensive.  I'm so relieved.

Yay!!

Nice intervals, Bruce!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

No harm done from yesterday's fall. 4 miles at 9:33 pace today, kind of sproinky.

I asked 2 different Dr's how long the recovery would be and got 3 and 4 weeks.  The question is, how long does it take three pencil size holes through the skin and subcutanueos layer to heal up? I ssume they avoid hitting any muscles.  Bruce Willis would be ready the same day Smile  (Joan Benoit Samuelson won a marathon 17 days after arthroscopy and that was in the 80's.)  The recovery realistically will take however long it takes to run pain free.

In 2004 I had Laproscopic Hernia Surgery and was running 7 days later and had 30 MPW the 3rd week.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

In 2004 I had Laproscopic Hernia Surgery and was running 7 days later and had 30 MPW the 3rd week.

You are a stud!  Well I was going to run 3 in a few minutes, but just going food shopping made my ankle ache.  So I'm going to wait until tonight and walk on the TM and maybe run a little to assess how badly it feels.  I'll also tape it up real good.

Tape, the second sacrament.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Man seems like the place is deserted!  Hey I got big news!  [editor: You can run?  Twocat:  kiss off!]  My DW signed up for the More Half Marathon!  I figure that vastly improves the odds she runs one!  I did not even tell her to sign up.  She came to me, told me she wanted to register and would I help her.  Naturally I said no.  Ok, I am not that dumb.  I helped her find the web page and sign up.

perchcreek here is to a speedy recover.

fatozzig looks like the place was ransacked and robbed!  Wow!  Clean up looks like a bear.  I hope it is not as bad as the pictures look like it is.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tomorrow's plan calls for "5 miles very slow".  We'll see how slow I can make myself go ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

fattozzig - makes my place look like a disaster!  The big one we had here in 2000, I left everything as is so when DH came home he could see all the stuff fallen over in the cupboards etc.

I just reserved Born to Run from the library.

I have a personal copy of Bowerman and the men of Oregon if anyone wants it, just email me at karenleighcraig at gmail dot com.  It is thick and juicy.  First person to ask.

Perch....be careful, my friend had that surgery about two months ago and is still in pain.  They may go in there again.  Meniscus right?  Or do you have something else?

52F (perfect), break in the rain, went out for an easy 3 miles.  It gets a little easier each day.  I saw a walker up ahead and kept thinking I would catch up to the dude before the intersection, then I started praying I'd catch up (why does it take forever??), then I noticed dude was smoking, surely I can catch up to this lung-compromised guy.....whew just made it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."