Masters Running

Tuesday ~ End of April (Read 50 times)

Dave59

30 days has September.  April, June and November.  I had to double check that this was the last day of April.

April has been somewhat of a slow turn-around, start of a comeback month for me.  Seems like it has been a good month for a lot of people here.

Great racing over the weekend.

Wild - Congratulations on the AG win in the 50k.  Those pictures of you out on the trails are great.  (Nice correction yesterday too.  Switching the 30 minutes of TV to 30 minutes of reading.)

Stumpy - I had flashbacks to my first marathon when you described your foot pain.  I took a few weeks off and still went ahead and "ran" the marathon.  I didn't have much advice on what to do back then so I hope you heal up quicker with all the forum help.

5.01 for me this morning.  60° and some sun before clouds starting moving in.  It is the kind of morning I've been dreaming about for the past 3 months.

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave, and everyone coming along a little later.

Glad you had a good run on a 'dreamy' morning, Dave. Yep, this is April's swan song.

Seems that you had a productive day in the yard, Jlynne. Following it up with a barbecue with the kids sounds like fun. Glad that Ben kept everyone entertained. I'm sorry that your hamstring is still giving you grief. Mine has been very tight, and using a foam roller has helped a lot.

Good advice about the weather, TomW. But you are so right - common sense sometimes can't be found when it comes to deciding to workout or not.

Kevin, good luck with the sore foot. I hope the soaking and ice cream helps!

Nice sproink yesterday, Bill!

That's a heck of a race week diet, Slo. Very creative...

I'm sorry that you are still having internet troubles, Tselbes. I hope that is resolved soon.

Wildchild - I love that photo of you, and the medal too! You never know who is going to show up for any race, and you can only compete against whoever is there. Never apologize for medaling! I like small races too, more for the friendly feel of them than anything else.

OM, I think your 5K was a "PR, once removed." Congrats on a great race and a useful mug. My comments to Wildchild about racing and winning apply to you too. Don't stress about Colorado - you'll do great!

I also can't wait to see photos from Marj & Henry's trip - they sure do know how to enjoy life!

Twocat, I'm glad you are pain-free in Ireland. Keep up the good work. Great job by everyone on the BM 'finisher's medal' ceremony.

Nice job at fencing, Paavo! Is there a way you can combine that with running? It could certainly clear a path ahead of you...

3.3 easy recovery miles at 4:10 this morning. It was 43F with not much of a breeze under a gauzy moon. I was still achy from Sunday's half, and so just took it easy and tried to loosen up the body parts. I was fairly fluid by the time I finished, but 'fast' wouldn't be a fitting description of my walk this morning. Now I have to gear up again for Saturday's 5K.

Have a great Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Dave and all to follow. I hope your training for the Cellcom is going okay. I was sorry to hear about your DD moving back home (job or boyfriend problems, or both?)  I sold my bib # so I won't be hosting a "pasta falooza" party this year but will be volunteering both Friday and Saturday and will hopefully get to see you.

"Gauzy moon" What a wonderful description Jay. Get rid of those achy body parts!

Great story Twocat. That was so nice of you to loan her your Boston medal. Your medal was spectacular too, Carolyn. Great job! Still waiting for race reports from everyone so let's get on it while your memories are fresh Big grin

Epson salt for hamstrings Ribs? Will that really help? At this point I'll try anything. And I hope it works for you Kevin.

Attempt #2 at spin class this morning, and I felt like I did a better job keeping up with the young folks. The instructor is 24 years old and she told me I was the oldest person in the class (thanks a lot)  Then, in an ongoing attempt to get my body fat % down, 30 minutes of weights and core and an extra 10 minutes on the ARC trainer. Time to go back to bed...

,,,,,,mornin' guys//////

........32min PoolRun,,,,,,,,,,dragging my FloatationBelt behind me......

=======

let's get it over with>>>>>>this always

reminds me

of one of my Favorite Quotes

from a Famous Runner

W.C. Fields:

''......and .there we were,

trapped on the River Platte,

drawing my knife,

I hacked my way thru a Wall of Human Flesh

,,,,,,,dragging my Canoe Behind me''

this

is the Sketch

where he talks about meeting a LeftHanded Lady RattleSnake Milker with a Wooden Leg named Polly

but

he never found out what her other leg's name was.

=======

ok, I feel better now

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good Running Guys,,,,,,,,

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Good morning gang. What a great thread we had yesterday!

Stumpy, do what Spareribs said. Take care of that foot! It is better to be off your foot for a few days than to be on the sideline for a while. Marathon is just around the corner.

OrangeMat, congrats on your AG winning.

Wildchild, you take the best race pictures! Great racing for you as well!

Opie, great job on the pacing!

Twocat, what a sweet story about your finish line and medaling party!

No running for me yet. I have a long day ahead and I decided that sleeping an extra hour is what I needed more today. I will run this afternoon in between meetings. I did visit the gym last night, boy how fast one looses the muscles we work so hard to build.

Have a terrific Tuesday!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

No running for me yesterday or today, and I'm still comfortably ahead of the Swamp pace bunny!  Last night I mowed the back yard for a change because DS was in calculus class.  Today I get a deep tissue massage!  Fell asleep during the Thunder game last night and thought we would hold the lead but losing Westbrook to injury has apparently made a difference.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

New skirt in town

5.3 miles this morning, with 5x800m repeats.  It suuuuuucked!  My first speed work since Boston, and it wasn't pretty.  I still need a lot of recovery, in a lot of ways!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

mrrun

should have realized that a country with lots of windmills has lots of WIND!  Biked thru tulips today and the countryside to our hotel on the beach.  party celebrating the new king and queens abdication with lots of beer and other things legal here

wildchild

Carolyn

I want to thank everyone for your nice comments about my race on Saturday!  I agree with Jay - it's all about who shows up on race day.  Since I was 1st of 3 in the 50-99 AG, I was kind of thinking I just beat two old ladies, but I looked up their ages and they're only 50 and 51. Heh.   Wink

OM - nice race for you last weekend, and 1st AG award!  I hope we can find the time to get together this weekend when you're in CO for the marathon,  but I know you've got a busy social schedule!  Smile

Tammy's got a marathon coming up this weekend, too!  Avenue of the Giants is one I'd like to do sometime.

I ran 5.8 miles at lunch, to end the month on a prime number (197 miles).  That way I get one of my own awards....  Joking   I saw three white-tail deer, a snake, a robin, a red-winged blackbird, some ducks, two swans, and lots of prairie dogs.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

OM, nice 5K with 1st in AG and 2nd best 5K.

Nice long runs for Twocat and paavo.  Good job on the speedwork for DrRobin.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there a little wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:07 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

aka FlyingFinn

Biking through tulips sounds as lovely as a gauzy moon.

Way to show those whipper snappers, wild. Wink

Jay, the only way I know to combine the sports is in the modern pentathlon.

I ran from the grocery store to the library and back, 45 minutes; no wildlife sightings until I got home and saw a hugh turkey in the woods.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I have been busy ever since I got home from Kentucky!  Last night was spent moving Eric out of his apartment...up and down stairs...yeah, the quads got no rest.  I went for 2.8, today...and that's all I could do.

Okay--I gotta go.  I'll try to get a report done sometime this week.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!  Still in Atlanta at a conference.  It went to 6pm and then I went for a walk along the lake.  Now time for dinner and relaxing.

No run for me this morning, just 25 minutes or so of light weights and elliptical...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ran 13.5 miles on Sunday...yapped off about it on Facebook...now I'm running the Vancouver Half next Sunday...Oy Vey...

3 recovery miles Monday

5 miles this morning...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              SteveP

You was robbed Jay

Holy 50K Wildchild!!!

That was a pretty darn quick 5K OM. Good for you

TwoCat, I'm sorry, your Monday post made sense to me. You should get checked.

Because it's your foot, this is easy.  if it's your hamstring you have to take a bath.  Put one cup of the salt into a bucket and fill it with hot water and swirl it around, water hot enough for you to stand it.  Put in foot.  Watch Batman cartoons all day.   Rinse foot. Dry.  Use ice on foot inside towel or something.  Do again next two nights. Get off RA and get busy.  Spareribs

FTFY!

Fixed That FTFY For Ya!

JLynne, I'd smack the instructor.

WC FIelds!! What a talent.

DW and I would love to bike through the tulips. In my cycling to commute nights, I'd detour through lower areas in June in order to enjoy the fireflies.

Happy Vancouver Gordon

Tag and I ran 4.8 miles before I went into work today. I'm very happy that I did not wind up paying too steep a penalty for it. DD#2 had a birthday party at 6:00 pm tonight and it's just too nice not to run.

SteveP