Masters Running

Thursday, 1/17 (Read 39 times)

Joe618

Hi folks, I'll get this started.   Hope Steve and Jay are OK!

7.2 miles total for me this morning, with the Hanson's Thursday Tempo Run of 5 miles in the meat of that running sandwich.    Beat my target pace by 1 second per mile, so I guess that is OK.   It was work, though, and I sure felt the 400m intervals from Tuesday.

It snowed all during my run, which made for some slick footing, perhaps that was the reason it felt hard.   Some very gnarly weather coming our way over the next seven days.

Have a greta Thursday, all!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Tramps

Thanks, Joe.

Jlynne--only you know the details of your situation and how best to respond but as a near-last resort, you could always share an article like this or even like this with them. (Lots of stuff online, if you look.)

I noticed John Bogle died, the creator of index funds for individual investors. Interesting guy. You need to be cautious, of course, but there's lots of very good financial information/advice on the forum named after him and his approach.

Dark and ominous cloud cover this morning. We're due for some ice this afternoon from that storm. 10K attempt at a brisk-walk with hiking boots on today. Slick in places though. I followed my own footsteps from two days ago through the woods. Surprisingly, no one else has been out.

Good luck to those of you in the bullseye of this latest storm.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Joe - thanks for the start.  We are also scheduled for some gnarly weather after you are done with it - supposedly 5-10" of snow Saturday and Saturday night, but it might end up being ice if the temperature goes up a few degrees.  Today we are having snow-to-freezing rain, which should make the commute home interesting.

We still have snow on the ground but the roads are mostly dry, so I did my early morning run outside and enjoyed the relatively balmy 32 degrees.  The white snow made it seem not very dark, so I never needed the small flashlight I carry for these predawn runs.

6 miles total, with some walking but mostly running.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Joe. I can't speak for Steve, but I'm fine. I had to focus on finishing a document I had to get on its way this morning, and just (finally) got it done.

Good work on sticking to the Hanson plan, especially with the slick stuff.

Nice run, Holly (you snuck in while I was writing). Yep - the upside of snow is the way it can help light the way when there is no other light.

I also don't talk politics at work but, as Stumpy said yesterday, our neighborhood dinners are altogether different. We have a lot of fun talking about politics, even though (or perhaps, especially because) we have differing viewpoints. We stay civil, we respectfully disagree, we laugh a lot, and we end the evenings still being friends. We have another neighborhood dinner coming up in mid-Feb, and I wonder if that'll be the kick-off for this season's political discussions? If so, I hope they are as entertaining as the ones that let up to the last election!

I went 5.7 RW miles at J o'clock this morning on dry roads, in 14° with more wind that I expected/wanted, and under clear, starred, moon-free skies. My hands stayed on the right side of numb, but my core never really got warmed up enough to be comfortable. I suppose I was underdressed for the wind. So it goes.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning folks. Thanks for the start Joe. Good, tough workout this morning. ^5 for sticking it out in bad conditions.

Thanks Tramps. I went to a different Y branch with DH this morning. It was very peaceful!

Kudos to Holly and Jay for also getting out there this morning.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning, stopping to cough and get a drink a few times, then 20 minutes on the bike and 10 minutes of stretching.

We don't have much snow here right now, and from a runner's perspective (if you can call what I do these days qualifies me as a runner), I'm fine with that. A lot of places in this area that rely on snow for their business this time of the year are hurting though. Conditions are bad for skiing, snow shoeing and especially snowmobiling.

On the good side, I saw on the news we've gained 25 minutes of daylight since the winter solstice

DH and I are going to see "On the Basis of Sex" today. I'm reading RBG's new biography right now. Good stuff.

Have a great Thursday everyone.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning masters.

hope yesterday's four pages didn't overwhelm even super-steve.

coastwalker - what the range for your j-o'clock runs?

what's the earliest you have ever started?

latest?

do you ever go back to bed afterwards?

4 miles - based on yesterday’s reconnointering all the interconnecting Hillside Park trails with Parks’n’Rec map, I checked out a four mile loop with 600 stairs up-and-down the hillside this morning after a midnight mizzle had warmed temps up to the mid-forties instead of mid-thirties of the last couple of days.   Unfortunately, without any sunshine for any more spring-like afternoons, the temps are going to stay down in the forties as normallly expected for January around here in the PNW.  Sufficiently j-o'clock run I went back to sleep for two more hours afterwards.

ETA jeanne - hope there'll be enough snow for the Birkie

If I had a bucket list, that'd've been on it for at least the last 40 years.

Is it around where you are?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

I noticed John Bogle died, the creator of index funds for individual investors. Interesting guy. You need to be cautious, of course, but there's lots of very good financial information/advice on the forum named after him and his approach.

I had not seen that Bogle died.   He had a full and influential life.   I first read his stuff many years ago and it substantially influenced my approach to personal finance and, I can tell you, his influence was decidedly beneficial.    Clear-headed and practical.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Singer who runs a smidge

RunnerKSA, I saw your post yesterday about Yelm, Washington.  An old family friend, Cotton Magness, once told me that the best beef jerky in the world could be found at Stuart's Meat Market in Yelm.  I have no idea whether this is the case, but if you get bored with Taco Bell, maybe it's worth checking out?  Cotton will be smiling down on you from heaven.

And yeah, I'm aware that this post is kind of de-lurky and strange ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Thanks, Joe.  Glad you stayed on your feet in the snow!

I got out this morning and drove to the path here in Lacey, WA as soon as I thought the rain stopped.  It was still a little dark, but I could see. 5.1 miles on the beautiful path through trees.  Not many people out.  I don’t have much to do today because we are abandoning the set of interviews that we were going to do today on our case because there was some contamination.  I’ll wind my way back up to Seattle and prepare for a very early flight out in the morning.

Jack Bogle was an alum of my son’s prep boarding school and did so much for the school and was around a lot.  My son really admired him.  He was a great man.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

Good day all!

Nice run, Joe. Good job getting the tempo done even in the snow.

I should have taken advantage of near 30-degree temps, but decided to run on the treadmill instead. We are supposed to get some new snow too starting tomorrow night - right now they are still saying 6-8" total. And then it's going to get cold. I think I have many treadmill runs in my near future

If I'm smart, I'll get my longer (7-8 miles) run in tomorrow morning, when the roads will still be dry. Now to see if I actually do it...

Anne

Marathon Maniac #957

If I'm smart, I'll get my longer (7-8 miles) run in tomorrow morning, when the roads will still be dry. Now to see if I actually do it...

That's my plan.  Since I work from home on Fridays, I plan to get up at 5:30 with DH, work for 3 hours on the computer, then head out for my LR.  The only difficulty is that the bike path where I usually run is a snowy, icy mess, so I will have to run on semi-busy roads....unless I just want to do loops around the local residential streets.....

HopesMom - you can pop in any time, nice to see you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And yeah, I'm aware that this post is kind of de-lurky and strange ...

Never a bad time to drop in.

A mile or so with the hound last night.  she was still recovering from the excitement of all day playing at daycare.  just suggested to DW that Monday might not be a bad day to do it again, after the coming snowpocolypse and the fact that the low into Monday is supposed to be 5°.  (Erika--I know we're just wimps down here)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hi friends - I was up dark and early like planned and made it to the computraining studio for the 5:30 am session.

Hard ride today with 4 10 minute segments at threshhold -- this program was 20 minutes longer than the typical 1 hour session and I liked the difficulty of it overall. The only bad part for me is they are testing a new computer ride where you are watching 2 bikers on the road onscreen -- it set of my motion sickness a little. Next time I will try riding in the back row of trainers and see if it's better than being up close.

Drove home and ran 1.5 miles for my Winter Warrior Challenge. Then mass and prayer group. Heading out soon to pick up the 5yr old granddaughter and taking both girls to visit my Mom and niece.

If I could, I'd like to ask for prayers and good thoughts for a very special little 5yr old of a friend. Genny is a twin and was born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome - not good. Today she is having a cardiac cath procedure for the 14th time!! She is a strong little girl and her family is lovely. Her mom was a nurse with me until she was pregnant with the twins and had complications. She is also an amazing runner and with another friend started a Heart Warrior Foundation for children with cardiac defects. So tough!!

denise

evanflein

A mile or so with the hound last night.  she was still recovering from the excitement of all day playing at daycare.  just suggested to DW that Monday might not be a bad day to do it again, after the coming snowpocolypse and the fact that the low into Monday is supposed to be 5°.  (Erika--I know we're just wimps down here)

Ha! It is funny, it's all a matter of perspective and what your options are. I was all excited last week when our highs were forecast to get into the +5 to +10° range, but those hopes were dashed with our inaccurate forecasts and it's been in the low minus-single digits to minus-teens all week. I'd love to run in 5 above again, especially with no breeze. *sigh* Maybe next week.

Hi HopesMom! Always good to see you pop in.

Joe, I don't know how you do that in new snow. Not for me, thanks. I can trudge along in it but no speedwork. Our snow is like cornstarch though, dry, squeaky and breaks away just when you need it to hold firm.

Another run on the treadmill tonight. I was thinking I'd try outside since it's so clear and sunny, but that does mean cold and the high today is supposed to be -8° which in and of itself isn't bad, but we also have air quality warnings so don't need additional reasons to cough.

MarathoninginMT

Did 6 miles on my brand-new-Christmas-present treadmill that was delivered yesterday by some very sketchy guys - but it appears they set the thing up correctly and the best part is, they didn't get stuck in my driveway.  I thought they were going to have to stay for dinner but they finally got the thing out - but not before taking a few of the lower branches off the trees around my driveway.  Oh well.  The treadmill is a thing of beauty!

It is snowing here - light and fluffy, big snowflakes.  It really is beautiful.  I'm sure some freezing rain will come through and turn it to concrete soon.