Masters Running

Thursday, 2.23.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s eggsellent workouts:
    Dave (3 known, Garmin-free, train-watching miles in the rain)
    Jlynne (5+ miles in capris in 48F temps at 5AM with 5 deer)
    Catwhoorg (4.5 leg-shaking, feeling-better miles)
    Marj (biking after inside stuff and putting air in tires)
    Holly (3.1 TM miles)
    Tramps (7 overdressed then shirtless miles)
    Rochrunner (short afternoon chilly bike ride - 1st in shorts in Feb)
    Enke (3 mile walk/jog with DS, then 2 mile grocery hike with DD, and with hail)
    Mike (post-work, 10 mile too-hard tempo workout)
    BerthaSlayer (10 hard TM miles)
    Mariposai (9 miles in 40F sunshine, including 6 at tempo pace, which felt too hard)
    Evanflein (.5 mile struggle run, 2.44 miles on the elliptical, then .5 mile walk - more foot pain - crap)

Very interesting to read everyone’s perspectives on retirement. Let us know how it works out when those of you still working make the transition.

Evanflein, often the transition to ‘management’ is not all it is cracked up to be. I have a BIL who also would love to go back to his ‘worker bee’ job, even if it meant less pay.

Steve, I’m so sorry that your Dad is back in the hospital. I hope they can figure out what is going on.

I took off a tiny slice of the top of my right ring finger while prepping dinner last night. Not a big deal, but it was a little gusher, and we had a devil of a time getting the bleeding to slow down enough so a bandage would stay reasonably dry. But we finally managed that, and I didn't bleed all over the bed overnight. I also stayed in this morning, not wanting to overexcite the digit with a workout. And I'm finding it is challenging to do things while minimizing using that finger as much as possible. Another one of life's little (and I mean little) adventures...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay......

heading out later,

but I was wondering how Ribbs is doing, does anyone know??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I'll second that. Morning guys. An hour on the elliptical and 20 minutes of weights and core today.

Enjoy your birthday month Holly.

Erika - I'm so sorry about your foot.

And I hope you get better news when you check in on your father today Steve.

No time today - off to serve "brunch for lunch"

Tramps

Stumpy--I think the last time I was at Sebago Lake, I was about 10 years old!

Marj--very tricky of you! Thanks; I learned something.

Mari--nice run. Tremendous! It'll come back in no time.

Erika--what a bummer. That's so disappointing but not much you can no now except roll with it.  We'll be rooting for you.

Steve--I like that guy's attitude!  I hope your Dad's doing better; scary.

Jay--ouch! I'm a bleeder too.  Even minor cuts can seem like gushers.

The other piece about jobs/retirement is that a lot of people are in a place where they have to stay...usually because of mortgage and kids. We decided very early on not to have kids, which had the unintended benefit of giving us enormous financial freedom to take lower-paying jobs that we like. We also intentionally bought much less house than we could afford so as not to have a big mortgage. It's not for everyone--there's no global travel in our budget and our small place is pretty basic--but we're happy where we are, feel very fortunate, and never for a second regretted our decisions.  Sometimes less is more.

8.7 miles for me today in the new normal: 60F. Downhills were what hurt most with my knee, so I've stayed away as much as possible from hills for months now.  Today was the time to try out a hilly route to see how it might go.  Things I learned: 1) Wow, I'm out of shape.  This challenging but routine route seemed really, really hard today; my legs were a little wobbly on the climbs.  2) I run downhill like a Weeble now.  The knee's tender and I don't dare put full force on it, so I sort of wobble left/right as I'm going downhill.  Sigh.  Still, it's progress.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Good Morning All,

3.3 on the track last night and then another .5 with the dogs - just went down the driveway and back. It was enough to satisfy them a little. very little. 

I am sure I still have a long way off til retirement (age 50 now) and I'm in no hurry anyways. I like my job. Have been doing this for 16 yrs and will be satisfied doing it until I retire if they keep me around that long.    DH is now pulling SS, so we have a bit more income (plus the added bonus each month of pulling extra for david since he's under 18), but for years we adjusted our living to get by on my income only, so we live very modestly and in a small home with not a lot of expenses.  

no run for me today. Have a meeting after work and it'll be dark by the time I get home. only a little over 2 wks til DST! yay!

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

...mornin' jay......

heading out later,

FB had a note from him saying that he was in an experimental phase with his statins to try and minimze their effect on his running.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Another beautiful early spring day and I ran another slow 2.5 miles along the Charles

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Mike - you are wrong - you DO have every right to complain.  As a matter of fact, find me that fish and I will personally slap your boss with it.

Jay - ouch!

Erika - bummer about your foot, but we are still going to have a great time this weekend.  That marathon thing is just an excuse to get together.  

No run for me today, just 36 times across the pool (900 yards).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Mike -find me that fish and I will personally slap your boss with it.

(This place has been violent lately. Just sayin'.)

Be safe. Be kind.

Sounds like good progress for you, Tramps, but take it easy on the knee!

Bummer about AZ, Erika, but you should enjoy just being there in the warmth. And your working story made me glad that I avoided the management track over the years, although I suspect that you're much better at it than I would ever have been.

Holly, why all the indoors workouts when we're having this great weather?

A repeat of my Thursday group run except that it gets better every week. Once again we started off into a chilly headwind, but this time we were all wearing shorts and light running shirts -- even short sleeves. And again, once around the first big bend the wind was no longer a factor, and once again I was really hot by the time we got back around the 6-mile loop. But starting tonight the bottom falls out and we're going back to normal after this string of record-setters.

Have a good day, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 for me.

70 degrees and sunny. This is not February weather...

First run with my new Polar M400 watch. (Got it for my 15th work anniversary).

Much faster GPS sync than my Garmin 305. Screen was easy to navigate and the distance came about pretty consistent with previous GPS runs of mine.

I am  not going to be using as it is intended (As an activity tracker/smart watch), as I don't think it is quite "lab proof. I'll keep my fitbit for that.

Basically I will be using it just for GPS on runs and rides.

As for management. I did my time as a lab manager. I am much happier to be in my current much more hands on role.

As for retirement, at 48 I have a while to go. Not too far though, should be in that position by 60.

Before the baby boy came along I may have said 55.

We have put a lot away already and we focus hard at putting as much away as we can.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

We have put a lot away already and we focus hard at putting as much away as we can.

Your kids are still young, and relatively inexpensive.  I remember those days, when we could take care of the entire family and extended family's Christmas with less than what one X-Box One cost....before we were paying for smart phones and data for 5 people....before sports equipment got so expensive and the kids' feet got too big for the kid's department....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, why all the indoors workouts when we're having this great weather?

Roch - during the weekdays I have been staying on the TM because:

1.  My run is interrupted by the need to drive DD to school at 6:45am.  If I run outside, it is a bit hard to time this right.

2.  While we have had some very nice days, at 6am when I head out it has mostly been 30-ish, which for me means more layers than I have time for and still get in a decent run in that limited time before work.

3.  Today, when it was warm enough to run outside in shorts and t-shirt at 6am, I didn't run because technically I am tapering for a marathon on Saturday.  

catwhoorg

Labrat

Holly, exactly.

Get it squirreled away now, and then as the expenses up later, we can cut back if need be.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

...thanks stumpy.........

==========

.........ever have an entire DAY planned out and then manage to SIT on your glasses??????

yep,

then sat in my Eye Doc's for a bit

........but it's 70s here

so

managed to get 30-min on the GreenWay AnyWay

and

hit a few balls, wrists aren't hurting (much) so I'll call a couple of buddies next week

...........good running guys..............Watch Where You Sit......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....