Masters Running

RA Masters welcome RW runners!!! (Read 769 times)

Mike e, 8 kids ! thats like sub 3 marathon right ? Do you still keep in touch with their mothers ! Im half the man of you with 4.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Hi everyone,

i'm John, I too came over with the RWOL refugee bus. I just turned 50 last week, been running for year and a half after the doctor told me my blood pressure was 182/110 and at 240 lbs for a guy 5"7,  I'm not a weight lifter, so figured I'd start running, now I'm 204 lbs, and pressure is perfect. i did the C25k, ran 2 HM's last year, hope to run 4 in 2013, possibly 1 full.

One note though, I'm still only 5"7.

Looking forward to interacting with you folks, thanks for taking us in.

Stop over to the BF and Beyond and look around when ya get a chance, we're friendly people over there, just a tad chatty.

A Man On The Run!

Another RW Refugee! My name is Harry,  I am 46 years old living in Mesa, AZ.  I work in Retail Management and I am an Aspiring Amateur Home Chef.  I weigh too much (getting less by the day), work too much and I wasn’t getting any exercise!

I had to do something…and I chose to start running!

I started running on July 1 of this year and I ran my first 5k 2 weeks ago.

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.- Albert Einstein

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow, Great to see so many new faces.  Welcome to a very friendly place.  There's a wide variety of runners here--they keep me around to make the monthly average not look too spectacular. 

I've been running about 7 years (since I turned 50) and been around here almost as long (Yikes--time flies).  I'm not long or fast, but I guess I must at least be stubburn to keep at it for this long.  I've made it up to 4 halfs, and and thinking dreaming of a whole sometime this coming spring. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Pinktastic

What a lovely welcome from my soon-to-be-new-friends!!   Y'all sure are a friendly bunch!

I'm Sarah (just about to turn 46 in a few weeks so I'm going to start trying to get used to saying that now).  I started running in July 2012, I've completed 1 HM and I have another one coming up on 12/9.  

My favorite running weather so far (since I've only been running since July) is anytime it's clear and cool (< 50*).   I absolutely detest running when it's hot and / or humid.   Living in Texas means that I probably won't get very much of what I call "good" running weather.....

Have a Pinkerrific day!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Samurai in Training

Reporting.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Hi All

Like bhearn I've been in RA for a while, but have not posted in here much.  I was part of the previous migration (from Coolrunning). 

My inspiriation to revisit the Masters group (I've been an intermittent lurker for a couple of years) was seeing and meeting some of you regulars from here (Slo_Hand, Holly, Ilene) down at the Monkey in TN a couple weeks back.  So much fun to put the names (and usernames!) and faces together.

I (re)started running about 4 years ago, as a way to get in shape, and lose weight for my younger brother's wedding, and once I joined a local running club and met some great people there, it stuck. 

As far as favorite weather goes, I hate humidity, but I try to suffer through it as best as I can.  I'm not thrilled with those single digits days, but I'd still rather get out for a few miles on the roads than put in even half a mile on the treadmill.  Props to those who do it - I don't know how you do - because it just wears me out and bores me to tears.  But, hey, that's what makes life fun, right?  We're all different - if we were all the same, it'd be a pretty boring world. 

Welcome new RA peeps, and hope to meet you all at some races someday.  Speaking of, Baboon ! - what part of our great state are you in?

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, y'all!  I'm HopesMom, just turned 40 back in September.  I am pretty much the slowest, lousiest, most inconsistent runner I have ever seen post online.  I have endless debates on whether I even like running.  I got hit with a bad case of runner's knee during Peachtree Road Race -- the only time I've ever cried at the finish line, boy even starting that race was monumentally stupid.  I quit running, and finally went to the doctor around the end of October (I'm kinda stubborn that way) and now I've been icing, swimming, and taking prescription anti-inflammatories for a month.  I have two more pills to take, and I'm planning to start back at the bottom with C25k in December, hoping that continuing to ice my knee keeps the cussing at bay.

And the weird thing is, I'm currently the captain of a RWOL miles game team.  I'm a better poster than I am a runner ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

delicate flower

mgerwn, I am in Simsbury.  Born and raised in Southington.  I work in Springfield (wife works in Hamden).  I see you're in New Haven county.  Any chance you'll be doing the Savin Rock HM in March?  I ran it last year and will be doing it again in 2013.   

<3

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Tramps

Still trying to figure out who I am. 

Ideal racing weather is mid-to-upper 30s, calm and dry.

Despite all the Kumbaya, hand-holding, rah-rah BS on some of these threads, the Masters Forum is really ONLY for hardcore runners who are willing to live to run; to abandon family, career and all other distractions in the pointless pursuit of speed; to run till you puke because that’s the only way to run; to push it past the limit and blow up in a spectacular flaming burst of over-reaching, age-denying, self-delusion.

On the other hand, some of us just run for fun and beer. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Jeff F

Free Beer

Oh hell, I guess I need to admit I am actually a masters and join this group.  I have been an RA lurker for a couple of years.  Starting running back in 2006 when I had to stop rationalizing that pushing my lawn mower and walking when I played golf was exercise.  I have done 14 marathons and 4 ultras, along with several shorter races.  I have been lucky (or maybe not so lucky) to meet a couple of RA members; Trent, WG, A1, Buzzie and a couple of others.  WG was actually the one who talked me into running my only (and last 50 miler).

I will mostly lurk but will be training for a spring marathon, so I may try to participate.  Maybe I will even post an avatar one of these days.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

On the other hand, some of us just run for fun and beer. 

Is there any other reason?

Welcome to all the new folks! I used to teach yoga, which is why my shorthand name (OM) is kind of a joke. My running used to be kind of a joke too, but we won't talk about that.... I enjoy all sorts of weather, including the you-breathe-you-drown humidity of the NJ summers. Smile

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Reporting.

EDDIE!!!!!

How you doing? Nice view from behind! Big grin

Now go get Professor Bob over here!

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Hi All.

I'm also from RWOL, but was never on the Masters Forum.  Denial, I guess... this year I turned 45.

I started running four years ago, as part of a get healthy/lose weight plan.  Got healthy, lost the weight, and still run because it keeps me sane and allows me to drink wine and eat cake.

My running  pretty much peaked mileage wise last year, but after dealing with multiple injuries from mid last year to the spring of this year, I've gone back to just being happy to run 3-4 days a week, injury free.  I am signed up to run my first trail half in January.  Looking forward to it, I haven't run a race since August of 2011.

I'm in San Diego, so all year is great running weather!  I really love winter running around here though, the cooler temps are perfect.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks again Cindy, for leading us here.