Masters Running

RA Masters welcome RW runners!!! (Read 769 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

mgerwn, I am in Simsbury.  Born and raised in Southington.  I work in Springfield (wife works in Hamden).  I see you're in New Haven county.  Any chance you'll be doing the Savin Rock HM in March?  I ran it last year and will be doing it again in 2013.   

I will definitely be there for that one - I'm in Milford (born & raised there too), and the rotary on that course near mile 10 is just two miles from my house, so I really have no excuse for missing it.  In fact it's the turnaround point for me every time I head out for 4 (which ain't been much lately).  It's also my 1/2 PR, so I have good memories there.  If I can kick myself into a consistent training mode, I'm hoping to repeat that feat.  We'll have to meet up for a photo op, at least!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I started running four years ago, as part of a get healthy/lose weight plan.  Got healthy, lost the weight, and still run because it keeps me sane and allows me to drink wine and eat cake.

Goes right along with fun and beer Big grin 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

pfriese

Welcome RW runners. I migrated here from the cool running forum during it's meltdown. I'm a semi-lurker, sporadic poster here. I started running 8 years ago (47 at the time). 23 marathons, multiple HMs, 25Ks, 15Ks, 10Ks, & 5Ks later, I'm still running.

Paul

TammyinGP

Welcome RW!

another CR refugee - started posting with this group shortly before turning 40 and just starting to run. Actually, I think I was just more interested in the hottub parties . .

I just turned 46 last Friday. I live out in Oregon so I guess my favorite running weather should be in the rain. But it's not, although rain won't "usually" deter me from running, but it has been known to on occassion.

Tammy

Samurai in Training

EDDIE!!!!!

How you doing? Nice view from behind! Big grin

Now go get Professor Bob over here!

Hey Baby!  We will see what I can do about my buddy Bob.

SheCan

Forum handle is SheCan, and I came from RWOL.  As I live in warm weather climate, winter is my favorite running season---- which is not really that cold around here.  I love when it's 40-60* for my running.  Though every once in a while, we will have a sneaky really cold day.  

I'm 46 years old and started running when I quit smoking at 42.  I may be old, but far from a master at much of anything, so I hope y'all just be gentle with me anyways.  Can't wait to get to know everyone!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome. I've come from RWOL too. (HopesMom is my team captain, Hi HM )

I started running Jan 2011 when I saw the Detroit Marathon was 1 week before my 50th birthday. It was always a bucket list item, so I signed up and started running. I started with 10 seconds running, 50 seconds walking for 10 minutes. I'm happy to say that I stuck with it, lost 50lbs, and finished the marathon. Since then I was focusing on the half and now I'm just taking a bit of down time (my last half was not very fun - although I did meet BerthaSlayer there, Hi Lori ). 

My goal next year is to run MCM (if I'm lucky enough to get registered). 

While moving my log over here from RW I had some trouble and had to manually enter some June/July runs. I was surprised to see that I ran a lot when it was high 90s... I guess I didn't really notice it was that hot, cause I hate running in the cold. I bundle up in all sorts of clothes in the winter. 

I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum. It gets a bit frustrating when you compare yourself to 20 and 30 year olds who can improve so much more quickly. (yes I know, I'm not supposed to compare). 

Welcome RWOL folks!

I grew up in Central NY (Syracuse) and my handle here is CNYrunner to honor my hometown and the place where I started running (Karin in the real world). I've been running and racing since I was 12 and ran in high school and college. I live in Western, MA (Northampton area) and we've been back here for 14 years (also went to college here and my father was 4th generation Springfield---so there is more 413 in my blood than CNY perhaps). Anyway, I just love to run/race and all distances, but mostly marathons in the past few years. I've run 49 of them so far and will easily hit the 50 before I am 50 goal. In fact I am planning a "50Ks for K's 50th" running birthday party in 2014 and you are all invited to run a mile or all 31 with me.

I have one kiddo---a junior in high school and he runs cross-country and outdoor track as a way to stay in shape for hockey--- a game he's played since he was four years-old. 

That's about it! No claim to fame really---my mother is Swiss and I was born in Zurich and we lived there until I was almost six years-old----Jungfrau marathon on my bucket list.

Wow - Learning stuff about the regular RA folks, as well as the RW refugees.  Fun!

CNY also forgot to mention that she has Super Granny on her side.  Ask her about Super Granny sometime.  This woman - at 102 - puts the rest of us to shame. Smile

I'm Fatozzig/Leslie.  Fatozzig is derivative of three of my cats: Fat - Fatso; Oz - Ozzy; Zig - Ziggy.  Ziggy is the only one left of the three, but we have four others.

I'm a refugee from the CoolRunning days, as are a few others here.  I'm 46 (okay, and a half) and started running six years ago when I got tired of doing The Firm in my living room.  The Hub was suppose to start exercising for health reasons, so we started walking in the predawn hours.  He quit after a couple of weeks, and after listening to my friend, Karen, talk about running, I decided to give it a try.  Let's just say I had a rude awakening in that first block of running, but I still remember when I successfully ran (and I use that term loosely) 3 miles without stopping. Safe to say I was Big grin.

I'm a trail runner, and I blame that particular illness on Karen, as well.  I run on the road during the week because I don't have a choice as I run in the predawn hours.  Weekends - it's trails.  And living in the heart of the redwoods in the far reaches of Northern CA gives me ample opportunity to run some of the most beautiful country.  This past July, I completed my 2nd 50-mile trail run at Mt. Hood with a 40 min PR.  I'm hoping my goals for 2013 (listed in my signature line) lead me to completing my first 100-mile trail run in 2014.  I'm slow, but persistent, and even though I get head demons, I don't let them stop me.

My favorite weather to run in?  Fall.  Around here still warm enough for shorts, but cool enough to not get overheated on those 5+ hour weekend trail runs.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Am I the only one that loves running in the rain?  54F, light drizzle, tops any other weather.  Good thing that describes 300/365 days of the year here in the PNW.  I can't tolerate the heat.

CNY, I'll be turning 50 in 2014 also!  Maybe I will run 5.0 miles to celebrate!

Blue Runner22, love your avatar!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Goes right along with fun and beer Big grin 

Yes it does!

I'm also a fan of running in the rain.  Though, I don't get a lot of opportunity here in SD.

My family is all up in Oregon, I grew up on the Oregon coast, so I still get a chance for rain running when I visit.

SheCan

Wow - Learning stuff about the regular RA folks, as well as the RW refugees.  Fun!

I know, it does seem that way.  I guess there's an upside to the storm.  *waves @ everyone*

enkephalin, I like running in a light rain when it's warm.  Last time I tried that, however, the bottom fell out of the sky miles from home, lightening was flashing, and I felt like a whiny, cold wet seal.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I don't get to run in the rain at my present location, because it doesn't rain here. Starting next year, however, I will run in the rain.

...Very nice to have you all over here, and Welcome to our site......

=========

meself,

I'm 63 next month

been posting with these guys several years and at CoolRunning before that

I was (past tense) a Runner for 42-years,,,,,10 of 'em Racing

developed

Arthritis in both hips, Morerate (left) and Severe (right)

(so am

actually

one of the few Cripples posting on a Running Forum)

have been PoolRunning for last 4-years,,,,,,,and added Biking last month.

other

than a Love of Running and Exercise

I'm just glad

they let me post here at all.

...........but, I occassionally funtion as The Voice of Reason if they're hurting themselves,,,,,,,,,,so I got THAT going for me.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

SheCan

...Very nice to have you all over here, and Welcome to our site......

=========

meself,

I'm 63 next month

been posting with these guys several years and at CoolRunning before that

I was (past tense) a Runner for 42-years,,,,,10 of 'em Racing

developed

Arthritis in both hips, Morerate (left) and Severe (right)

(so am

actually

one of the few Cripples posting on a Running Forum)

have been PoolRunning for last 4-years,,,,,,,and added Biking last month.

other

than a Love of Running and Exercise

I'm just glad

they let me post here at all.

...........but, I occassionally funtion as The Voice of Reason if they're hurting themselves,,,,,,,,,,so I got THAT going for me.

Thank you for the welcome!  I think it's wonderful that despite your health issues, you've found a way to remain active, and continue to contribute to the community.  

Cherie