Masters Running

RA Masters welcome RW runners!!! (Read 769 times)

Hi everyone!Been a lurker for over a year now it seems.Goal for the new year is to be a little more active here,it's a great group.I ran CC and track in H.S. then took 32 years off to do a whole lot of stupid stuff!Started back running a few months before my 50th and now starting my 5th year of running and looking forward to moving up a AG next month.I've had a few nagging injuries this year from over training,my way of coping with the wife's cancer and treatments,hopefully I learned my lesson for this next go around. Longest race was the 5/3 Riverbank run(25k).Lots of 5ks and a few 10ks,hope to do some 1/2 s this next year!Once again this is a great group,I just hope I can keep up with everyone! Clark

delicate flower

We'll have to meet up for a photo op, at least!

Definitely!

I am also running the Colchester HM in February.  I have not run that before.  I hear it can be pretty brutal between the hilly course and potentially bad February weather.  It should be interesting.  No PR aspirations for that one...I'll be doing that one for "fun."   

<3

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Baboon I'll be at Colchester too - very tough course, but the post-race buffet is great! And the race director is a bit of a hyper-energetic nut.  You'll see him at several points on the course, cheering people on through an old-style megaphone.

My goal next year is to run MCM (if I'm lucky enough to get registered). 

kimbalion, I'm hoping to do this one as well - my neighbor cajoled me into helping her train for it, and running it with her.  We'll have to remind each other when registreation opens - IIRC, it filled really fast last year!

mgerwn - MCM registration is March 27... I've got it on my calendar Smile. I believe it was 2.5 hours last year.  I figure they will have to go to some sort of lottery system soon, and may even start next year...hopefully not. So if I want to do it, I'd like to try before it becomes a lottery. I have heard though that it isn't too hard to do a legal bib transfer.

HermosaBoy

Hi, I'm Rob.  I like movies about gladiators and my favorite color is magenta.

Oops - wrong thread!

Haven't been posting as much out here due to life getting in the way, but for the newbies, you have found a GREATA group.  

I've been running just under 10 years and am a total addict (got rid of all my other vices).  Favorite weather to run in would be 35 - 45 degrees and no wind...  

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #957

...I ran til I got The Hiccups once....

Way to leave it all out on the course!....(high five)

Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

I am mostly pretty slow (okay,mostly REALLY slow), not what you would call a "natural runner"

Holly - I should be so lucky to be YOUR slow!

Welcome everyone - I'm another intermittent poster, however, my better half is a frequent poster when he's not on the DL (henrun).  We like to bring the age up of the group - probably the oldest - both with "kids" who could belong to RA Masters, and 6 grandkids between us - way behind mikee.

favorite runs are spring and fall temps, and besides SLO, I'm one of the bike commuters.

marj

I've been posting here at RA since the migration from CR.  I posted there for several years.  I'm one of the oldest posting in the master's thread.  At a few weeks shy of 69 years old, the only one I'm sure is older is henrun.  There are a couple others who are close to my age.  I started running in my mid 50s and ran my first race in 2000 at age 56.  I've done one marathon in 2006, four halfs, some 20Ks, 10 milers, 8 milers, 10Ks, 8Ks, and 5Ks.   I've never been fast and have slowed down a lot in the last few years. 

There are a lot of races in my area (thumb area of MI) and I get to see a lot of the same people over and over.  Since I can't run fast and don't want to try to run long, I have picked a goal that just takes getting out there.  I plan on running at least one race in each calendar month.  When I do the scheduled 5K next weekend, my streak will be at 9 years.

I have 2 grown kids, a son and a daughter.  My daughter has done 3 marathons and works for the Crim Foundation in Flint.  My son runs some and has done a marathon.  His wife also runs some and has done a marathon.   My wife and I are retired teachers  (I taught high school math and physics and quite a few math classes at a local community college).

I've met a number of the RA gang in person and they are as fantastic as they appear to be on line.  Welcome to the new people.  I look forward to getting to know your all.

TomS

Henrun

Welcome all.

Since I've been mentioned a few times I might as well say a few things about myself. I've been running almost 40 years and have run 40 marathons (my last 3 years ago- Boston-at the age of 75), most likely my last. I love half marathons now but several injuries thwarted my recent plans- right now I'm struggling with a nasty ITB. I also love to cycle- Marj and I met on a bicycle tour in Michigan. When we met I still had some speed running but,now, she leaves me in the dust.

I'm retired from the medical profession and we live in the Boston area-the land of many runners.

Well, as long as the other RA folks who are 60 or older are posting, I guess it's okay for me too. I'm Jeanne (Jlynne for RA purposes). I've been running for over 30 years. One marathon under my belt, more half marathons than I can remember, a Ragnar Relay (from Miami to Key West - absolutely the best time I've ever had) and a bunch of 5 and 10K's. A couple of years ago I had back surgery for a herniated disc and it took some of the wind out of my sails, but not my spirit! After my first husband traded me in for a younger model, I found a wonderful guy and we've been married for 16 years. I have two sons, he has two daughters - perfect. You will be very happy here. There are honest, compassionate and caring people here - and most have a wicked sense of humor!

Welcome aboard people - we're glad you're here!

Coastal

I may as well say Hi.  I'm a master runner.  52.  I've been running a few years.  Back in school I was an anti-runner, that is I threw shot - disc - hammer, and never ran farther than the coach could see.  This whole running thing still amazes me some days.  i didn't post back on the RW master forum much because a master runner is supposed to have a clue.  i just have running shoes. Smile

I've run a few half's and a few 10k's.  Hope to run a full this spring if I can stay uninjured that long.

I live on the northern Oregon coast.  There is a comment somewhere here about someone loving to run in the rain.  I either run in the rain or don't run at all.   We get over 120 inches a year.  My favorite weather is cool and dry.

evanflein

Welcome all the RWOL runners! So sorry to hear of the demise of your old online home, but you are so welcome to join us here! Many of us are also former inhabitants of another forum and found a welcoming home here when that one went south in a handbasket. I really hope you stick around, post your runs, days and thoughts (and whatever) in the daily.

Please be sure to check out Fatozzig's weekly cross training thread or Holly's 40/40 thread; both help you keep track of your overall runs and fitness activities. We post whether we run or not, and folks lurk, post or take a break depending on their life's circumstances. And sooner or later, you'll wonder what all the goofy lingo means. Ask MikeE... he had a crash course in all that!

Me? I'm the resident Alaskan, usually bringing down the average temperature ratings for the group. But lately I've been heading to the treadmill because we've been in a -10 to -30 range "snap" with air quality warnings lately. (I might venture out this weekend when it might warm up to zero or so....)  I'm a marathon maniac (#685) thanks to Tetsujin, but that's a whole story in itself.

I like to post pictures that make everyone else cold just looking at them! 

Hello to all newcomers!  Glad you found us over here at RA.

I'm not as active here as I used to be but still around. 

Started running 22-23 years ago in Spring & Fall  as I was too busy in Summer and well Winter was cold(brrrr) 

Shoulder injury in 1991 forced to stop other activities so I started running more and more and more....

Now I've done 24 Halfs , 4 fulls (fools) and now I love running in the Winter!Smile

I've constantly battled PF through the years and discovered some hip arthritis in 2007

So in 2009 I started running only 3 days per week and have felt much better. 2 days on the elliptical.  

Much slower than I used to be but still love it

All my old run partners have given up because they could not or would not deal with age slowing them down.

Retired Police Officer as of July 2011

Started riding my bike at that time and have taken several nice adventures.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

A Man On The Run!

I may as well say Hi.  I'm a master runner.  52.  I've been running a few years.  Back in school I was an anti-runner, that is I threw shot - disc - hammer, and never ran farther than the coach could see.  This whole running thing still amazes me some days.  i didn't post back on the RW master forum much because a master runner is supposed to have a clue.  i just have running shoes. Smile

I've run a few half's and a few 10k's.  Hope to run a full this spring if I can stay uninjured that long.

I live on the northern Oregon coast.  There is a comment somewhere here about someone loving to run in the rain.  I either run in the rain or don't run at all.   We get over 120 inches a year.  My favorite weather is cool and dry.

Hi coastal...my brother and his wife run a Bed & Breakfast on the Oregon Coast in Lincoln Beach, I Love it up there.  Probably the only place my wife would think about moving to if we left Arizona.  I can't wait to log a few miles up there this summer!

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.- Albert Einstein

And I grew up in Seaside, Coastal, so remember all that rain.  

It's been great reading about everyone, thanks again for the warm welcome!