Masters Running

Weight, let's make a healthy choice today (Read 465 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I went to lunch meeting yesterday and, try as I might to make healthy choices, I know I went way over my calorie and sodium allotment, so I decided to wait until tomorrow to weigh.  But I don’t think the scale has budged this week.

Since I don’t seem to be having a lot of success in actual loss of weight, I’ve decided to try to concentrate more on healthy eating. 

Goals for the week:

1.         Add more veggies to my diet, by cutting them up in advance and having them ready for my munchie attacks, like right when I get home from work. 

2.         Try at least one new healthy recipe.  This week I have two picked out:  Chickpea and Leek Soup and Kale with Bacon and Onions. Okay, bacon doesn’t sound that healthy, but it’s only 2 strips, and that’s to flavor 10 cups of kale.  I’ve never actually had kale, but it’s supposed to be super healthy.  And Cooking Light gave this recipe 5 stars.  I’ll let you know how it comes out. 

3.         Eat more lean protein.  I’ve read that this is very important for middle aged women, and I know I don’t eat enough.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

It sounds like you've got some good goals, Holly. How about sharing that recipe for the chickpea and leek soup?

Ugh.... A cutback week of running makes me really aware of how heavy I could be if I wasn't running 30-35 miles every week. Up 1/2 pound to 124.5. I haven't been this heavy since..... I can't even remember. And my clothes are showing it too. Really smart to pack on the pounds the week before a half marathon. I know I don't always make good choices, and I've found a woman who's willing to help me train for my fall marathon and give me some nutrition advice/goals as well. Now, I just have to figure out a way to pay for her. I'm too old for modeling, our counterfeiting machine is broken, and I don't know how to make moonshine. Think, think, think.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne -

Here's the recipe.  I haven't tried it yet, but I bought the ingredients last night.  Might be kind of bland, but I won't "spruce it up" until after I try it as written first.

Hearty Chickpea and Leek Soup Recipe

Ingredients:

1 can of chickpeas
        2 leeks (most grocery stores sell them in groups of 3)
        1-2 small potatos
        Vegetable or chicken broth
        Sea salt and pepper, to taste (optional)

Directions:

If you use a can of chickpeas, rinse them well and bring them to a boil for a minute to help get rid of any preservatives. If you use dry chickpeas, soak them in water overnight and cook them over medium heat for about an hour or until tender.

Cut leeks in half lengthwise and give them a good rinse in water to remove dirt. Chop leeks and potato into bite-size pieces, saute them with olive oil for about five minutes, then add enough boiling broth to cover them and allow them to cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until tender.

Add chickpeas and allow all ingredients to sit on low heat for a minute or two.

Blend ingredients in a food processor or blender. Return blended mixture to pot, and season with sea salt and pepper if desired.

Makes about four servings. Enjoy this hearty soup with avocado slices and a slice of toasted whole grain bread.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I think I eat very healthfully, I just eat too much. Portion control matters in all things. I've been really busy at home and at work and the stress levels are pretty high. With our crazy schedule lately, it's been very hard to plan meals, much less find time to pull them together. But school is ending this week, my oldest graduated last night, and hopefully things will start settling down... just in time for the soccer season to get up to full steam!

I did weigh in this morning and I'm up a couple pounds. No biggie, I think it's from the late night eating and snacking we were doing after commencement. Hope to get back on track today.

TammyinGP

I actually weighed today and I'm okay with what it said

Holly, I am not a very big meat eater and on the nights when we do have meat, I usually only eat a very small portion, so I've been a bit concerned about whether or not I'm getting enough protein, especially since I'm in my peak weeks of training right now and protein is so important. So, at the prompting of McSolar, I started logging in my foods into a fitday journal and have been surprised that I'm actually getting what is recommended. It's been real eye opening to see my carb/protein/fat ratio's and on the days when I can actually exercise some self-discipline and not eat sweets in the evening, my ratio's are right where they should be for peak training time. Yesterday I even got WAY more than I needed (about 125 grams of protein) and all I had for meat was a turkey sandwich for lunch with 3 thin slices of mesquite deli turkey, and about 4 oz of grilled chicken breast. But once I added in some cottage cheese, a yogurt and some milk and a few miscellaneous things here and there that had a small amount of protein, I really did get quite a bit.

Tammy

I weighed, I sighed . . . will keep trying.  My workouts begin to increase next week (I think), so I'm hoping that helps.  Staying out of the frigging candy bowl at my M-W job would help, too!

Holly - I'd like the kale recipe, too.  Kale is very, very good for you.  It's absolutely loaded with Vits A and C.  Here's a link re the nutritional values: Kale  I've made it with a pot of white beans, too.  The only thing I found with it is it it's a thick, sort of "tough" green.  I think a goodly amount of sauteing with onions and garlic before using it would really help.

Re chickpeas and leeks - I love both.  As a personal preference, I'd probably saute onions and garlic for that recipe, as well.

JLynne - You crack me up!  I would love to be able to afford some time with a nutritionist.  It just occurred to me a couple of days ago that I should've contacted a student studying nutrition at our local university.  I do know, however, that I eat too many carbs.  But I'm addicted to bagels and I refuse to give them up.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I like Kale ok, but nobody else in the family really does. DH will eat it but doesn't enjoy it. I've learned to disguise it. Chop it real small and it can substitute for spinach. I like to grow it because it's prolific and easy. I freeze batches of it to use all winter in spaghetti sauce, lasagna, and any sort of thing you'd add chopped spinach to (lots of pasta dishes). Add enough other stuff, it blends in pretty well. But DS1 is like a bloodhound and can sniff it--and pull it--out of anything.
                SteveP

I just have to figure out a way to pay for her.  Think, think, think.....

We're there for each other JLynne....

Feel free to give her a picutre of me

Sorry ladies.....I am taken

205 lbs

SteveP

evanflein

Oh Steve. That's just so wrong on so many levels.

Your DW is one lucky gal.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

STEVE!!!! I've got a great idea on how you can help me earn the money for my trainer! You can pose for a calendar for 2011! Between you and Tag, the Avenger Dog, I'm thinking big bucks here.  You guys model, I'll take the pictures. This could be the beginning of a very profitable friendship! 

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve.....

Oh $hit-Howdy, I’ve GAINED a pound this week.  Jeesh!  

Of course, that glass and a half of wine last night, coupled with the Sun Chips, probably weren’t a good idea the night before a weigh-in...

But you know what?  I really did enjoy them.....

Prince of Fatness

170 - down 1.

Not at it at all. 

. . . glass and a half of wine last night, coupled with the Sun Chips . . .  I really did enjoy them.....

Good!

JLynne - Good idea for a calendar!

My SIL and BIL are members of the Moose Lodge in St. Helens, OR.  A few years ago, the Lodge decided it want to produce a calendar to sell to raise money for some local kids' organization.  A number of the male Lodge members volunteered to dress up in drag.  They brought in a hairdresser, a makeup person, wigs, dresses, high heels, got the guys liquored up a bit - - the calendar was hilarious!  My BIL was Ms. April.  My goodness, but he makes a less-than-good-looking female.   They sold a ton of calendars.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey, I'd buy that calendar - sounds like a hoot!

Now let's see, can we get Steve to dress up in Batman drag?