Masters Running

Saturday 13 Dec taper tales and runs (Read 431 times)

Thought I'd give all the non-runners their due today. I'm digging out after an ice storm and 36-hour blackout; not fun. Last night I had some similarly stranded friends over for dinner (read: three single moms): I have a woodstove and made a wonderful blackout feast, if I do say so myself. I've had the girls since Thursday.....they've been AWESOME, playing board games and helping me, not really missing their favorite distraction (TV) I lost several trees in the storm: most notably, a pretty large Lindenwood that toppled across my driveway. I've got some pretty serious chainsaw time ahead of me today......but I'd like to get a run in. Good luck, runners and racers. Walt MTA: TRAMPS: come on up! Now! I need a hand making firewood!
      Met some of the Brooks-Hanson team last night,My race is at 11:30...they will be running at 1:30...the speed is dripping off the walls here in Spokane
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Renee the dog

Back from 5 mi with Renee in the glorious combination of full sun, consistent winds and cold weather. It was 30 F with a wind chill estimate of 16 F. My kind of day. If it isn't going to be 80 F with 85 % humidity, which I love, then give me this weather! It's WONDERFUL! Easy to dress for, and therefore makes for a comfortable run. For the record Wink, had a wool ski headband, Old Navy fleece pullover with a long sleeve tech underneath, NB winter running pants and heavy gloves from Wally world. Not too hot, not too cold. Everything breathes, so it was nice to get cooled off when the wind kicked up extra. Renee still ran naked. I guess that makes me a wuss then. Undecided Good luck to weekend racers and good runs/rests to all!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

A rare predawn run for me this morning. 3 miles before a busy work day and then another Christmas party tonight.I had a company party last night .This time of year is very counter productive to my diet. Roll eyes Good luck Racers and fun runs for everyone else Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Walt – sounds like fun, but after our September blackout – I still wouldn’t want to trade you. Gordon – good luck! NoNo - still a bit colder than I would like, but certainly better than below 20. I’m with you, Larry, today I'm making some of my traditional English Toffee today – just what I need to challenge my dieting willpower. Roll eyes 7.35 unexpectedly pleasant miles for me today in 14 (feels like 3) degrees (ave pace 9:54). Here are a couple pictures of the new puppy (Daisy). She’s Dexter’s little sister, and looks very much like he did when we got him. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

hopeful, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's tire/being stranded problem. I'm glad all turned out well but understand the parental concerns. dg, sorry to hear you got your husband's "bug". I hope it doesn't last long. DickyG, sorry to hear you are under the weather. I hope you recover quickly. It was neat hearing about, and seeing pictures of, the gathering at Franc's with the fantastic sounding lasagna. bike, you've sure had your share, and more, of bad news with your foot/ankle. You've every right to be frustrated but seem to be handling it better than most of us could. Healing vibes and patience going your way. Keep us up to date. Walt, that ice storm and power outage sounds bad. Many years ago, I went through one of those and don't envy you. You're lucky to have a woodstove. We also have one which we almost never use but think it's good insurance in case we have another ice storm. Holly, neat pictures of Daisy and Dexter. Nice long runs for enke and peter. Good job on the speedwork for ribs and The Saint and evan. This morning, I should have gone out since the temp was up to the high teens, not too much wind, and my Yaks seemed to do the job on the icy roads for yesterday's walk. Alas, I wimped and did another 8 miles on the TM at 1% and 6.2 mph (9:40/mi). This afternoon, I'm going to Lansing to see a Michigan State basketball game with the kids. It should be fun. A great day and good runs for all. TomS
                Good Morning Everyone, 15F w/sun & light breeze here, now bad at all Smile 1 inch of very powdery snow that wasn't slippery but very scenic. I always let DW set the pace on our Saturday runs 5.5 miles at better than 9:30 per mile, she is getting faster. Walt that was one bad ice storm you had up there. I would like to help chop some wood it's great exercise. Lyndenrunner I know I heard Spokane mentioned on the weather channel this morning & I'm sure it wasn't good. Nice runs Nono & Renee Holly are you training your dogs to run like Renee? Haller diet in December? forgetaboutit Eat a big salad for lunch. Good luck

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Morning, folks - Trying to get up the gumption to go to Arcata and put in a 7-mile trail run. It's been hailing here in Eureka, so who knows what it'll be like there, but I keep telling myself, "I'm not a wuss!" Good luck to all the racers! And those of you with extreme weather - I don't envy you. Stay safe. Holly - Great pics!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good morning everyone. 6 miles this morning, 9:31 pace. I only need 49 more miles to put me at 1500 for the year. Can I do it in two weeks?? Walt - vicious ice storm. They're predicting sleet, freezing rain and high winds for northeast Wisconsin starting tonight, followed by another streak of cold weather. I've lived in Wisconsin all my life, but it seems like the winter is off to a horrible start, even by Wisconsin standards. Holly - Daisy is adorable! It looks like Daisy and Dexter are getting along well. Good luck with the toffee project today. Don't post any pictures of it - I'm having a hard enough time as it is! If Oprah can't keep weight off with a personal chef and trainer, I don't think there's much hope for us common folk. Nice run in the snow this morning, Sarge. I went to order some things from the Christmas Story website - their shipping costs are out of control! I guess I'll have to put the leg lamp on my wish list for next year. Big grin Good luck to all the racers this weekend.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! Careful up there in all that ice and snow and frigid temps! Brrrrrrr Good luck racers!! We'll be following the action! 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 37:54 (9:28 pace, AHR 145). The Garmin HRM was reading high like it normally does before sweat builds up. To prove that it is due to static, I rubbed my gloved hand up and down on the outside of my synthetic tech tee where the HRM is and the HR increased from 150's all the way to 180 just with rubbing to generate static electricity! Next thing I'll try is static dissipation film to cover the top of the HRM strap. Garmin reccomends wearing cotton shirt to avoid this issue! Talk about dogs... we are fostering a blonde sheperd/husky mix (3 yo .. Sadie) and a yellow lab mix (1 yo.. TJ). They have now acclimated to our house so they get along great and play.. but shouldn't. TJ was nuetered on Tuesday and Sadie is on heartworm treatment so both should be quiet. Try to tell them that. TJ jumps all over Tory to play and Tory loves it. He'll be sad when these guys get adopted...(if). Oh.. and both TJ and Saie have pee accidents in the house. I need to steam clean all the carpets today!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

another non-running post. I wimped out on Friday with 34F, torrential downpour, and nicely gusting wind. today I'm resting up for my Jingle Bell run tomorrow. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I got caught by the NE ice storm, too, but just because I work in NH, but fortunately don't live there. No problems driving, but I noticed a very distinct line where the trees started looking very shiny. And falling over. If I'd looked at the news before I left, I might not have Smile No power when I arrived, so hung around until one of the owners arrived and told the few that made it in to go home. Now I hear that there may not be power in a lot of places until Monday Shocked Holly--very cute puppy!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

So how do I dress for a -3C race with 16mph winds and a feel like temperature of -8C? Out of habit, I always think in Celcius when the temps drop to zero, you know when water freezes, kind of makes it easy to know when it will snow instead of rain. I don't want to freeze, but I don't want a bunch of stuff tied around my waist either. I tend to overheat easily so I am thinking short-sleeve shirt, thick longsleeve, thin long-sleeve (will that be enough? or should I add my thin wind/rain jacket?) And what about my ankles? Will they get cold if not covered? I had my coat on in that picture at Franc's because I was trying to slip out before someone suggested a photo. I am sure it was Tetsujin. I have a pasta maker too. I think we should have a pasta making party pre-Seattle RnR! Another rest day...however I might tackle DS's room...which could be exhausting. Lynden! Good Luck running against the BIG DOGS!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

munchkn883

Won't be walking today....keeping GD this afternoon. Perchcreek -- let me know if you want someone to help you walk the dogs.
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Enke--it sounds like plenty to me without the wind shirt. for that temp (17-18F--I had to translate back ) I would use heavywieght tights with a thin longsleeve and then heavy longsleeve. and then either a hat or balaclava, glove liners, and maybe fleece socks. this has worked for me for up to 7 miles and 13f actual temp. Also always lotion up my face when it's below freezing. Of course as my beard freezes in place, it blocks the wind on my chin, so you may need some extra insulation there Wink Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Renee still ran naked.
                                Wrong! She always wears her fur coat. Smile Holly - FANTASTIC pics. Puppy Daisy and big bro Dexter look like so much fun! Have come to the conclusion that I just have to schedule at least three rest weeks into my year - the first week of school and the weeks of my winter and spring school concerts. I am utterly wiped out. Feeling stiff and sore from NOT running, but even as I sit here dressed to run, my eyes are drooping and I'm thinking that a nap might be a better option. Sending good vibes to those affected by the ice storm. Hope they can feel my vibes, since power outages are still likely keeping them offline. {{{Tim}}} Things just keep sounding worse, but the "it's OK to keep pool running" should give you at least a little hope. Heading up to the boardwalk, but it remains to be seen whether I'll run, walk, or just amble while I check to make sure the ocean's still working. Wink Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com