Masters Running

2's Day 3/10 Stormy Weather Runs and Suchh (Read 541 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone....you all Rock ya know Smile. Suppose to be real stormy today with bad thunder storms, high winds and possible large hail and Tornados...yuck, then cold again after the front moves through Sad At work early again as there have been sooo many accidents, I am having a hard time keeping up...anyone want a job helping me out right now? Last night is what I will call my "redemption run" I bonked really bad Sat on my 10 mile run, and knew I could do better. I have this professional Triathlete Bud I train with sometimes and his name is Zach Ruble. He always told me that when ever he bonks or has a sucky workout, he doesn't wait very long to do the same workout again....and nails it the next go around. I have bonked bad a few times over the years, and always heeded Zach's advice and go out and do the same workout a few days later. I wasn't planning on last night to be "that night", but after my warm up I knew I "had it"...at least for where I am now in my training coming back from my injuries, and not being in the greatest shape yet with almost 3 months off training. Soooo, last night... 10 easy miles - 1:23:37 - 8:22 ave pace - miles 7 8 9 @ MP ( 7:56 - 7:58 - 7:54) I hesitate to call this run easy, but there was nothing hard or laboring about it what so ever...even my MP miles. SO, take that you nasty Sat run that had me running phone pole to phone pole to just barely make it home Evil grin This was my best feeling run since last fall, and a real confidence booster for things to come. What I have done is - I have decided to run most of my runs at an easy 9:00 ish pace, with one day a week to do some speed work...to fulfill my need for speed sometimes...hey, we all have that! I love night time running, and run sooo much better then! If all goes well, like it has been, I will be back in Holly's 40/40 this week Cool Hope everyone has good runs, and a great day Smile Going to have a busy, but Greta day - TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Nice run, Tim. I think your running plan is a good one. My legs, still tired from skiing and the long run on Sunday, convinced me to skip the intervals this morning. Still I was able to hold MP for my GA run. 8.0 miles, 1:04:40, 8:02/mi, AHR 162

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I'm still a mess from a week of skiing too. I bailed at 13.6 miles on Sunday (I'd planned for 20). Yesterday, I took a rest day, and today I ran 8 miles in 1:22:47. Still kinda slow and stiff. I'm not a very good skier, so I actually cover a lot more of the mountain with a great deal more effort than should be necessary. Hopefully, things will improve later in the week, as I'm going to try the 20 miles again this Sunday.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Unlike WRFB and PDR, the skiing last week hasn't affected my running at all - in fact it may have helped it - perhaps in a cross-training sorta way. I had a good 20 miler on Sunday and another good Intervals session today. I wasn't sure whether I was going to attempt the intervals actually. My throat is scratchy in that early-cold way we all recognize. And DW stayed home from work yesterday with a full-on head cold. So I took my resting HR when I woke up and it was 48. Perfect. So out I went. 8.35 miles altogether at 8:21 pace, with 3 x 1 mile with 90 seconds RI between each. I targetted 7:11 per 1 mile segment and ended up with 7:17, 7:00, and 7:06. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning, all! Nice kickoff, Tim! Bill - hope you escape the evil cold - hugs to your wife - hope she feels better soon. Work piling up here, so this will be a quick one. 7 miles on the treadmill this morning. Pushed the pace and got the heart rate up to a 159 average. Felt good, but this time change is taking it's toll - I really hate losing that hour of sleep!! Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg.

Nice run, Tim. It's nice to have 2 beers in the morning. I hope you both recover quickly. Seems like you'll be stronger for all that skiing. Zippy, byll. Hope you don't get sick. good morning Sue. Smile A quick post for me too. Another morning at the gym, after a night almost like Enke's, except it was a snoring DH & a snoring DDog. 35 min. pool running, a 10 min. swim. 2.42 miles, av. pace 9:34, max 8:19, ahr 164, max 178. Not fast I know, but faster than I've been so I was glad. 16 min. on the elliptial, & 1 set on the lower body weight machines, & that is all the time I had. It seems to work out well pool running first, as far as a warm up, but it takes too much time to change. Still, if it's healing, it's worth it. Have a great day.
              Tramps

fatozzig—thanks for the info; I passed it on to DW. I don’t know about you, but those returning skiers are getting’ no sympathy from me. Boo hoo, it’s so tough flying around the country for vacation and skiing all week Puh-lease! Roll eyes Tongue 8.2 MP miles (7:52) for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Tim.....I like your attitude......No excuses and don't stand in my way. If it doesn't work this time it dosen't mean I won't get it.done. Nice run. For me......a nice easy 5 mile recovery run. 8:34 pace. A little on the cool side. After dinner I took my oldest DD out for a manual transmission lesson in the pick up. We practiced starting from a dead stop on hill. Big grin Tim, do you guys do clutch work Roll eyes WRFB, PreDawn and Bill.......Nice runs all of you. Even if you didn't get your 20 PD, 13 is still an accomplishment. Some days it just aint there......skiing or not. Still waiting for some decent weather..........over 4 inches of rain since Sat am.......more coming. Good Running to All !

King of PhotoShop

Go check out Nono's daughter's pic on last night's daily if you missed it. A classic keeper! SLO, good lesson for your daughter. Yesterday, circumstances caused me to teach my wife how to jump start her car with cables. There's another skill everyone should know. Cardiologist follow-up appt. today which messes up my morning run so I will go out later. They are continuing to monitor my LDL which is a good thing. Tim, your recovery looks promising. Spareribs
                      busiman from what I can tell the 405 is not as good for actual running and racing as the 305. It has a smaller screen. Also, reports seem to indicate it is harder to operate while on the run. Everyone I know who has looked into this in any detail has ended up buying the 305.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Nono – your DD is adorable! Timbo - excellent! SueT – that is an interesting but alarming thought: that long running might be aging me prematurely. Like I don’t already have enough wrinkles. Roll eyes Any way you might be able to give the link for that article? Eliz – if you do take gels or shot blocks, remember not to drink Gatorade when you take them, only water. Energy drinks will interfere with the absorption of the gels, possibly causing tummy troubles, which no one needs in a race. Perhaps in your upcoming race, if you want to carry a Gatorade mix in your bottle, take your gel with straight water from an aide station, then wait 10-12 minutes to drink from your bottle. Breger – you made a very good point yesterday about hydration during and after long runs. I noticed last weekend that I was more wiped out than usual all day after my LR, and when I look back I realize that, despite the warm temps, I didn’t drink enough during my run and didn’t really hydrate after my run much. With warmer temps on the way, we all need to remember to redouble our hydration efforts. Incoming storms put me on the TM today: 2 mile WU (5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 8.0 mph) x 4 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.2 mph [9:40]) x 5 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.2 mph [9:40]) x 5 1 mile @ 8:41 plus CD makes 8.6 miles total. For some reason this workout was a lot of fun today....3 hours later, and I still feel energized by it.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

"older but not dead yet"

"Tired Tuesday" What a perfect way to describe my morning! Did 6 miles in the woods, only jogged the first mile, walked the rest. But it was a nice solitary walk. Solitude is nice at times. Very refreshing and mentally necessary. Just trying to do the "via negativa" thing. It's not easy to immerse oneself into nothing-ness. Nature has its way of getting your attention. It speaks in that quiet, small voice. The one that seeks reconciliation with our souls. The "peace that passeth understanding". The rising sun, and clear, cold, fresh air was the necessary recharging of my batteries - the cardiac one, the cerebral one, the preternatural one. Life is a runner too. It passed by me this morning. I called out to him as he passed, "Nice to see you - hope you're not playing with me?" He responded, "Don't worry, my son. I'll see you on the other side. Just wait, you'll see." Yes, life and I, saw ourselves eye to eye. He went his way, I went mine. Alex
                          Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.

Marathon Maniac #957

It's nice to have 2 beers in the morning.
                            Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PJH

Some really nice daily runs lately ... at good paces too! Tim - thanks for the update the other day. Didn't have a chance to post yesterday's run with my mentee. 4.0 mi ... 36:44 ... 9:11 pace. We were going to do 3 mi in 30 mins, but my mentee said he wanted to run faster this week. So I compromised by saying we'd do a w/u mile then pick up the pace from there. The splits were 9:49, 8:45, 8:45, 9:22. He didn't realize we covered 4 miles. He was pretty tired, but quite pleased. I'm interested to see how he progresses. I run with him once a week; he has a group run once a week; and I'm encouraging him to get one more run in as well (at least right now). We're shooting for 40 mins next week. A couple of interesting little tidbits in the April issue of Runner's World. One was an online poll that said "if my running life was a movie, it would be titled: The Agony and the Ecstasy ......41% March of the Peguins .................18% Into the Wild .................................14% The Asphalt Jungle ....................12% There Will Be Blood ................... 9% The Fast and the Furious ..........6% I have to admit I chuckled at "March of the Peguins". I think the title of my movie right now would be something like "Keep Running, Forrest, Keep Running". The other tidbit was the mention of a new mattress that is coming out. Made by the Spring Air Company and is the 'official Ironman mattress'. The "nano-technology fibers help oxygenate the body at a higher level". Not sure exactly what this means. Maybe we get fitter, without having to put in as many miles? Smile Planning on 60 mins later today. PJ

#artbydmcbride

Last night I ran after work. And I left behind the reflective vest, the headlamp, the red blinky light for my behind, and I just ran. Smile Ah daylight, how I've missed you! 5 miles up and up Signal Hill. Being able to see the ground and the cars coming could see me is a wonderful thing.

Runners run