Masters Running

Saturday 6 December Runs, etc. (Read 464 times)

7.73 in 1:05:14. 139/157, 8:26 m/m. It was chilly (22*F) but very still out this morning, and quiet: perfect once I got warmed up. After two treadmill workouts this week it was nice to run outside again....there was a light layer of frost on the leaves and grass. Running is the best sport. Discuss. Walt

Hill Runner

Good morning Walt, I ran last night so I"ll post my run this morning. 10.2 miles @ 9:04 pace ( in the dark ). I used a headlamp for the first time and love it. I have no hesitation now at starting out early in the morning because it's too dark to see Smile...I crossed over the line & I'm now a full fledged running geek Smile Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning everyone. This is turning out to be the winter from hell here. It's snowing, the wind is "brisk" and it's icier than he-- out. I decided the dreadmill wasn't such a bad choice today! 7 miles at a 9:41 pace, then 5 minutes of Mary's famous lunges at a 15% incline and a 20 minute cool-down on the bike. My legs feel like rubber! The great thing about Saturdays is being able to take my time at the gym - I was there for over 2 hours. My DH is trying to run again! He did a mile on the track a couple of times this week. When we first started dating, we used to run together all the time so I'm hoping he'll get back into it. Off to look for the perfect Christmas tree. Have a great day, everyone.
        anachrotech

Morning Walt , Peter, and Jlynne - Only 2 this morning again. I still needed one small walk break, but I can tell it's getting better. Today is the first time in a while that I felt good after a run. Smile I think I'll try those lunges - is that done at 1 - 2 mph? Good runs all.
          DickyG

An Ohio State University academic adviser and a real estate agent held a $10-a-ticket raffle that offered an evening with a prostitute. Christopher Johnson, 33, an academic adviser at OSU's School of Nursing, organized the raffle through a craigslist.com chat board, police said. Real estate agent Rusty Blades, 42, held the invitation-only party at his house for the participants. The prostitute, Vanise Dunn, 31 was quoted as saying "I just thought this would be a great way for me to meet some caring, thoughtful, romantic gentlemen...you know...candy, flowers, the whole thing." TomS: 8 miles on the TM at 1.5%...and quite a bit faster than your normal pace...you, my friend, deserve a nap. Deb: ...and a huge run + workout for you too. You can nap with Tom...separate cots, of course. Meg: Your Saturday 11-miler at that pace and in those windy conditions was just fabulous...7:30's?...definately. Timbo: Zicam...it's over-the-counter...I would imagine it's available at any drugstore. Start taking them now...don't wait for high temps or severe stuffiness to develop...and keep taking them (at whatever dosage it says on the bottle)...that stuff works! Enke: Tough tempo run yesterday... Walt: That 8-miler on the TM...I'd be losing it after half that..I don't see how you guys do the TM thing..I've only tried it twice and both times I bagged it after a couple miles. Great run for you again this morning..but you certainly could have pushed it to 7.75... It was cold here this morning also..about 28-30, I think. Tried to do a 4-mile progression run at the h.s. track but, as usual, I botched the second mile... 9:05 9:08 8:48 8:23 Total 35:24 (8:51) Ave HR 145 Max 158 We took our camera to the black-tie party last night but left it in the car...no big deal..like I said yesterday, every guy there looked exactly alike. It was a great party, especially since the band let me sit in with them for a few numbers. We have another party tonight and again Sunday..I am just way too cool now... PartyAnimalG
              Another day in paradise with a breezy 17F. 5 miles 47:37 w/DW she's picking up the pace lately so my easy runs are getting faster Smile Walt To discuss the best sport would be interesting and lengthy so on the lighterside let me say "running is the true sport, everyone else just plays with their balls" Embarrassed Peter Congrats on your move to Geekville. No really the light is a smart move not a geeky one. Jynne Nice workout Smile Anachrotech EASY now lunges are tough stuff DickyG You sat with the band ??? You are way too cool

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Enkephalin – my TM will not go below 1.5% incline. Nice hilly tempo run yesterday, btw. Timbo – yes Zicam is available at most pharmacies, in the cold meds aisle, but you should start taking it right at the onset of your cold for best results. Erika – I don’t have a foam roller or “stick” either. Is it really a “must-have” item? Maybe I should look for them, too. Congrats to DS2 for making the basketball team. r2farm – did you really ride in rodeos? Tough stuff, that. 19 windy degrees when I started out today, doing a13-mile out-and-back that has a McDonalds at the half way point, since all my water fountains and port-o-potties have been shut down for the winter. The first leg wasn’t so bad, but coming back I was heading into flurries and driving wind, enough at some points that I had to just keep my head down to keep my face from being sand-blasted by the pelting snow. The temperature wasn’t a problem, but the wind was just annoying, so I wimped out and finished my last miles on the TM in the garage. 18 miles total – 12.7 outside (ave pace 10:14) and 5.3 on the TM at a 10:10 pace. I have to admit that my Saturday LR has a lot more energy when I don't do a killer interval workout on Thursday. Today’s run puts me at 2003.9 miles for the year so far. Cool We’re hosting a Mexican themed birthday dinner/party for DH and 4 other December birthdays among our friends. Lots of great Mexican food, followed by Mexican Train Dominoes and margaritas. Since I’m participating on this weight loss challenge, I was thinking that maybe I should just eat veggies at dinner and drink only wine. I’ve calculated one bottle at about 500 calories. I should stop there. Off to begin cleaning and prep. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice 18 miler Holly. You can enjoy those Cervezas and Tortillas now! 16.35 miles with the Running Clubbers. 2:28 total for about a 9 minute/mile pace. Ran the last 6 miles at what felt slow but was in fact near or at MP. Felt good, contemplated going for an impromtu 20 miler but thought better of it. I have no need for those right now. Put the Christmas decorations up after running. Haven't stopped and now feeling tuckered out. 1900 miles for the year on the dot after today's run. Go Gators! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone... I was hopeing I would feel better today, but I feel like someone beat the heck out of me with a baseball bat. In a few, I will head to Walgreens and pick up some Zicam...thanks for the suggestion. Speaking of foam rollers and such. I had the need for such items many years ago when I had a bout of ITBS myself. This might seem funny or strange, but I found two items that are readily available to everyone. One is simply a rolling pin that most have if you bake stuff, or just pick one up at Wally World....if Amy, somewhere else, lol This one worked the best for me, rolling out my IT Band... simply a basketball slightly deflated. While lying on the floor on the affected leg, with the outside of your leg on top of the ball. Just use the ball and the back and forth motion to roll out the IT Band, from the hip and all the way down to your ankle...this really does work. And most people have a basketball, volly or soccer ball around the house. And this works for many many parts of your legs and body...quads - hammies - calves - feet, and so on. Greats runs today...Holly 18 miles, wow. And greta job on 2000 miles! Bill, I knew you didn't have what it takes to be in the "non" running club....and glad. Nice long run Buddie. Have a great day everyone! I am going to be a slug, and hope to feel better soon, so I can get back to swimming and pool running. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Can you believe that I am actually too shivery to read the thread? That's my story and I'm sticking to it. It was cold out and I just finished 20 ounces of cold gatorade. Brrr. Progression targets 3@9:36, 4@9:12, 4@8:48, actual pace(HR) 9:19(136), 9:04(145), 8:28(151). Overall 11.2 miles, 1:40, 8:54/mi, AHR 145 Good runs, all

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I am working today and the weather is getting pretty nasty outside so I ran in the halls at work. I may be here until 9pm so it was better than not running at all. As a matter of fact with the 14 degrees and blowing snow on icy roads it was probably a good idea anyway. 3 miles about 28 minutes. Bad news from the dr. yesterday. My cholesterol is elevated again Angry I had a issue a couple years ago especially with trigycerides and I went on medications for that. I did not like the effects on my muscle fategue and got off the meds by losing some weight and going on a strict diet. It wouldn't be that bad but I still follow a pretty good diet. The diet he gave me is not as strict as how I normally eat anyway. I already get plenty of excecrise so I guess the only thing left for me to do is lose that extra 10 or 15 pounds that I don't seem to be able to lose. If that don't work I may have to go back on the meds. Undecided Ironically MSN had a good article about runners dying of heart problems. http://health.msn.com/fitness/running/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100227264>1=31036 Good runs everyone Stay warm Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

King of PhotoShop

Yes Larry, runners can and do die of heart problems, but I am going to annoy everyone by continuing to live. When I was in Chicago yesterday doing my seminar in a hotel, the room next door was occupied by Medtronic. I stopped in on my break to tell them I am a satisfied user of their product and showed them my owner's card for my Medtronic aortic valve. They were glad to hear from a satisfied customer. The previous day one of the seminar rooms had a group from Morton Salt. I had a ball with this one. I asked my participants to try to guess what Morton Salt could possibly be doing at a hotel meeting. "Okay, everybody form small groups and discuss our strategies against our competitors during the coming year. Next we'll show our new packaging designs, then talk about pricing in a recessionary market." It's SALT! We had many laughs over this. 6 miles slow on a gorgeous, sunny day in the big D, low 40's. This gave me my first 25 mile week. Spareribs
                          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--Corona Lights are only 109 calories each. That way you can have a couple of those and the random chip here and there.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Stumpy - good news! I just found a bottle of sugar-free margarita mix in the panty! Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Good Morning all. well, I guess only us laid back westies are still in the morning Roll eyes I doubt I'll run today. It was just too cold to get up early and my flannel sheets held me hostage. Plus, DS slept at a friends house last night, so I wanted to take advantage of the morning quietness! But tomorrow I will likely need a break from all the football loudness at our house, so will escape for a few hrs to get in a long run. Today is tree hunting/cutting day. we are headed out shortly, with DS, his friend and the dogs. I love my foam roller and even DH uses it to roll out his back - gets a good spinal adjustment by doing that. Have a good day everyone!

Tammy