Masters Running

Boston Marathon planned gatherings - the sequel (Read 1122 times)

btb1490

I thought it would be good to summarize the Boston gathering plans here in a new post. On Saturday evening, WRFB has a gathering planned:
    We are also planning something for Boston. This seems like an appropriate thread to advertise it. We'll be having an open house Saturday evening (I guess that's April 19) at dawndaughter1's place in Somerville. Yes, there will be a keg. Maybe Irish Red, maybe the English Pale Ale I'm making as I type this, not sure yet. Send me an email if you think you'd be coming and I'll send the details before the event. vvvsuper secret codevvv lking at pobox dot com ^^^super secret code^^^
    On Sunday morning, there are a couple of gatherings planned to watch the trials. Here is one being planned over at the kickrunner's forum: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18792 I am also planning on having an informal gathering before/after the trials at the place I'm staying at right near the trials course.
    The invite to come before/after the trials to where I'm staying is of course opened to anyone. If it is decided that meeting at the other location is preferred, then let's do that. The point is to get everyone together, regardless of the meeting location. If we do end up at my place, I need to make some disclaimers though, just so everyone has the right impression. The place I'm staying at is small, probably not much bigger than Henry and Marj's living room, so it'll be cozy! It's in an apartment building in a residential area, so the gathering has to be kept low key. As much as I'd love to throw an awesome spread out for everyone like Henry and Marj have so graciously done in the past, it just isn't possible where I am. I will gladly provide bagels and coffee and juice for everyone, and a place to gather for everyone to meet and chat, but can't go much beyond that. Anyone is welcome to bring whatever they want, just keep in mind that space will be limited. If it gets too crowded or if people would rather go somewhere for a bite to eat or whatever afterwards, we could discuss it at the gathering. It would be an honor and a pleasure to host this for everyone, if that's what is decided. If yes, BYOC (Bring Your Own Chair!) Smile
    Following WRFB's lead, if you are interested, email me at btb1490 at yahoo dot com and I will provide you with the location. If anyone else has other gathering ideas, here may be a good place to put those as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
      Thanks BTB! You are so good to combine the information and make sure that as many can connect as possible regardless of their home running site and cyber thread. Since I am not staying in Boston, the Sunday gathering will work best. I'll e-mail you separately once I know what my expo volunteer assignment entails. I am hoping to catch the Trials and then get my number and volunteer some. Anyway, thanks again for staying on this. I am sorry that I'll miss WRFB and PDR's gathering. I am sure it will be wonderful! CNYrunner
        Are we going to try and meet at the trials?
        Henrun

Meeting place: I'll start with a suggestion and let others chime in - how about around Commonwealth and Dartmouth around 7:45
          HermosaBoy

I will be somewhere around Marlbourgh (or however you spell it) and Mass Avenue. Good spot to see them run by around 8 times. Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

#artbydmcbride

I am going especially to watch hermosaboy watch the Trials! Embarrassed Blush

Runners run

btb1490

My apologies, I didn't make it clear in my original post about actually watching the trials together. My intention was to have anyone interested meet at my place before the trials for coffee and bagels, then we head out onto the course to watch the race as a group. I was going to suggest watching the trials in the same spot that CNY suggested in one of her posts, and that was at the base of the Mass Avenue bridge. So, if you can't or aren't interested in meeting at my place before the trials and walking over together, then we can pick a spot out on the course to meet up there during the race. So how does this sound? If you want to meet at my place before the trials, email me and I will give you the info as to where that is. We will leave there around 7:45 to head over to the bridge. If you want to simply meet out on the course, how about at Mass and Marlborough where Hermosaboy will be? That looks like a great spot and is very close to the location that CNY suggested being at. If you'd rather just meet up after the trials, email me for the location. If anyone has any other suggestions, please post them here. I think it would be great fun if we could all share in this awesome event together as a group.
                  Mass Ave. and Marlborough as a meeting place sounds great to me and may make the most sense. I'll e-mail you separately as well about the other----can't make a total plan yet until I get my BAA volunteer assignment and that won't be until early April. You are super to even offer though! CNY
                    any happenings later in the day?

denise

I have sent an email to everyone who has told me they are interested in the Saturday night gathering. If you are interested and did not receive this email, please drop me a line. lking at pobox dot com

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

btb1490

This thread needed to be bumped, plus there are discussions floating around regarding a gathering Sunday afternoon or evening, so I thought it would be best if that was consolidated and discussed here as well. Deez4boyz and I have been discussing doing "something" on Sunday afternoon/evening, but that something hasn't been decided yet. A walk along the Charles, a visit to the fine bakery in the North End, some kind of dinner somewhere.... Let's see if we can put something together. Maggiano's was suggested as a dining option on Sunday. What I've done in the past is get take out from Maggiano's and eat it at the hotel room. Not the best ambiance, but certainly no crowds to deal with, great food, and less expensive than dining in house there. I'm staying in a small studio apartment, if we want to do the take out option, we could all go back there and eat. Just throwing that out as an option. Another option that's worked well for me on the Sunday before the marathon is to eat at a pub type place that is not far from Maggiano's. You won't get the pasta selection that you will at an italian restaurant, but it does have some, the food was great and reasonable, and there were no crowds to deal with. Yet another option would be for me to throw a bunch of pasta in a pot and cook it up for everyone with some italian bread, and whoever wanted to come could bring their own side dishes and fixings and drinks. There is a Trader Joes nearby where all that stuff could be gotten. This would by far be the least expensive option. Finally, if anyone has restaurant suggestions away from the downtown area, those would probably be a good choice for being both less crowded and less expensive than the downtown restaurants. Ok, speak up gang. It would be fun to get together to talk shop the night before, and it may have a somewhat calming effect on the nerves. Smile
                        Henrun

Marj has suggested Bertucci's (Bertucci.com), a local moderately priced Italian chain that is accessible by T and away from the 'madding' crowds. Either the one in Brookline Village (probably less crowded than the next suggestion) and accessible by the D line, or the one in Kenmore Square that can be reached by B, C, or D lines. They can seat large groups.
                          evanflein

Hmmm, I get a different kind of site when I enter Bertucci.com.... sure that's right? I'm interested in something not too far away, not too expensive, and ideally where they serve a good risotto! That's my favorite pre-marathon meal... I'd love to get together with this group, but maybe just the Saturday evening with WRFB/PRD will have to do... DH wants to try to see the Fairbanks group (amazingly enuf for a small town, we hardly ever see these guys except at local races, and it's been a long winter!), and the maniacs are doing something also. My problem is if there are too many choices/options, I freeze up and do nothing so want to try to get something planned first. BTB, I'd love to see you guys at the trials, but it would be near the end. If it starts early in the morning, we may have to beg off because we'll be recovering from a 4-hour time change jet lag issue...
                            Henrun

I spelled that wrong-try Bertuccis.com
                                i e-mailed the tour place to see if they still have openings for dinner only at Maggiano's but haven't heard back - my brother is also good friends with someone there and could probably check on making a private reservation.........but, it will be crowded and not on the inexpensive side pub near there - do you know the name? we could check the menu and see if it has pre-marathon food to satisfy everyone bertucci's - always good food and not expensive dinner in the North End - probably crowded and could be pricey..........Mike's Pastry is a MUST - i NEED a cannolli!! Wink family style pot luck dinner - if the apt your staying at Bob is easy for people to get to that's a nice casual option as well i'm in for anything - just hope this pain in my butt is gone by then!! sorry - see at least i have a little sense of humor despite the pain right now!! lol

denise