Masters Running

Thursday, 7.14.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm very glad to read that RCG, Holly and Aamos are all working their way toward resolving different physical issues/injuries. I wish you all (and everyone else on the DL, such as Deeze and Mike) thorough and quick recoveries. Holly, what you said about hips is true enough: They do a lot more, and carry a lot more than we give them credit for.

Leslie, you're doing a great job of managing up (laterally?) at your office. Continuing to pay attention to you will be good for their business, and sooner or later they are going to know that.

Enke, get the offer(s), and then decide if you want the job, and for how long. Keep up the good work!

Good runs yesterday for Tet, Mariposai, TwoCat, Tom, Tammy, WC, Haller.

Where are Robin, Starr, Jlynne, and Ribs?

I'm finding that a new pair of walking shoes are slow: I last wore them on Tuesday, when I worked hard but couldn't manage a quick pace no matter what I did. Yesterday I wore different shoes, had a similar perceived level of effort, and was about 15-20 sec/mile faster. The new shoes are not heavy, they are just slow and I can't figure out why. Has anyone had a similar experience with a pair of shoes?

I got in 4.4 RW miles yesterday with a late start and a day of meetings ahead of me. My first meeting was at 8:30, and the last finished up at about 2:00. So it was mid-afternoon by the time I finally got to the office, and when I left, I got to mow the lawn in close to 90F temps, followed by a great shower, followed by making my daily salad to start our dinner.

I got out almost on time this morning and went 7.8 RW miles in 70F, muggy weather that was saved somewhat by a bit of a breeze. It was a slog, but I did OK.

I'm looking forward to a couple of friends coming to Sunday's racewalking clinic.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

'mornin' y'all!

Jay, I have had that experience with shoes.  Henrun and TC like Adidas Boost and I got a Stability pair right after I blew out my ankle in Philly.  They felt stiff, which translated into slow, for a long time, but eventually started to feel better.  And of course, they are shoes with more support.  I recently got an "update" of a favorite model and they too felt stiff, and this was not the Stability version, just the next year's update.  After wearing them for a few longer runs here on hot days (meaning, the shoes got pretty wet and so had the opportunity to mold to my feet!), I find I like them.

"Not your sister's baby," love it and will pass it along, Barb.  Do you have to fast before your surgery or is it so laser-ish that you can just go by your normal routine?

Sounds like some angst-making decisions, enke.  Maybe a third option is out there??   On another topic, does MBE read or would he recommend a cycling magazine?

Six and a half for me this am, still all good.  Figure I'll try a 5K this weekend.

Gotta rest up tonight b/c Sox in NY Friday.

grins,

A

P.S.: Good lyrics in the song ("Love Make The World Go Round") Lin-Manuel Miranda and JLo made to benefit Orlando:

[L-MM:]

What we got is love even when the sinners hate us
      We cannot let them diminish or intimidate us
      We sing out, we got the rhythm and the true on our side
      We cut through the divide and we do it with pride
      (Wake up! Wake up!)
      A generation of innovators enabled to patiently
      Wait for change 'cause change is what they've been afraid of
      The malevolence can wait, raise a level of debate, celebrate, elevate

[J. Lo:]
      Love make the world go round
      We're not staying inside today
      They're not taking our pride away
      Le-lo-la-la-lo-le
      Love make the world go round

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - I never thought of blaming slow.running

on my running shoes.  Oh, I don't have any.  
        Five sunny cyclemutes in anticipation of first conscious attempt
        for a running streak in my life starting tomorrow with Rosie’s operation.
        Let’s keep it short, okay?
        ps rosie/holly - why stationary bike instead of outside.
        My IM mentor does it inside as much safer.  .
        Yesterday’s run/non-run results.
        1.   10 runners running an impressive mid-week 43.8 miles
        2.   Four runners not running for various excuses
        3.   Three runners not running due to injuries

4.   Missing - too many 

A.  Running runners - 42.8 miles
        . . . 1.  posie - 5 miles w/dog and friend
        . . . 2.  twocat - unanticipated 8 miles
        . . . 3.  tselbs - 5 miles (kids having adjuster fun)
        . . . 4.  aamos - 10K (after week of walking)
        . . . 5.  tammy - track workout
        . . . 6.  wildchild - “easy” 5.6 mile-high trail miles
        . . . 7.  enkephalin - 2 miles pending new job
        . . . . . . <<<(if take the big one, can ex watch the kids?)>>>
        . . . 8.  hallar - 5 miles (90-degrees missing Olympic cutoff)
        . . . 9.  evanflein - 2 mile walk in the sun (80-degrees)
        . . . 10.fatozzig - 4 miles / 30 min stationary bike / bossing the boss around
        . . . . . . <<<(maybe tell him you’ll do it for $400; you probably already do)>>>
        B. Non-running runners - 0 miles
        . . . 1. tet - 0 (tapering)
        . . . 2. stumps - 0 (unknown excuse)
        . . . 3. deezie - 0 (albeit injured/recovering)
        . . . 4. batman - 0 (chasing spiders)
        C. Injured runners - 22.67 stationary bike miles
        . . . 1. holly (hip) - 5 bike trainer miles
        . . . 2. buehrle (hip) - 17.67 bike trainer miles @ 90 rpm’s !!!!
        . . . 3. mikeE (hamstring) - 0 but, somehow, continues to stay busy
        D.  Missing - starr, robin, jlynne, dg, ribs, CNY, et al.
        ps holly - thanks for the little ditty
        for my GS next time. He’ll love it.
        ps amy - and the one for me.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

I opted to skip the track workout (sorry to mess up your thorough recap Tet) because it was 90 degrees and I wanted to run this little stretch that is partially shaded and plentiful with blackberries. So 3.7 hot hot miles for me yesterday.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Does low motivation count?

Did better this morning in terms of getting up, at least.  3.1 drippy shorts miles this moring.  I liked Tuesday's temp of 58° and low humidity much better than the 75° and 87% humidity.  My admiration for those that have to run in this stuff all the time (Amy, Hallar, etc) and confusion for those that prefer it (TC).

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Nice recap, Tet!

I haven't got to boss anybody around today . . . . yet. 

4 feel good miles in conditions that felt like the beginning fall.

Oh - and I looked up the temps for at Hagg Lake in OR for my 24 hr run next weekend - high 70's.  Praying it stays that way and doesn't get any hotter!  (cooler would be nice)  I can deal with high 70's since a lot of the trail is shaded.  I was a-sceered it'd be in the high 90's.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Add Henrun to the injured - knee replacement scheduled for November....

I'm hurting some, so biking & walking more then running.

For those in the NH/MA/ME area, the PEM has a Childe Hassam exhibit for incredible paintings of Isle of Shoals

Shoes - haven't had the same issues, only some that wear out very fast or when i've gone too long a time the initial times of wearing.

have fun with whatever activities you're doing

marj

Happy Birthday to the bday twins!

stumpy77 I feel your drippy pain from your run the other day.

tselbs tough having to deal with all that damage. I hope the insurance company does not give your family too much trouble.

buehrle keep your fingers crossed, fixing the labrum will be the one and only fix that is needed.

wildchild "easy" with you? Not credible without an elevation chart. 

enkephalin I hope you get lots of job offers and you can just pick a job you like and want to stay with.

halllar too late to qualify for the Olympics! Nooooo!!!! 

evanflein heal up fast!

deez4boyz I feel your pain. Last fall I had to back out of all racing after the relay. Maybe you will find that you get better fast once you throw in the towel.

SteveP problem is I never know for sure if a "you got to be kidding" query is actually the question to the answer, "well yes." Did a spider really wig out that guy?

Great day in CT today if you are moss. Not so great if you are running. I "ran" 13 miles. More like slogged. Ended up walking parts and had an overall 10 minute plus pace. This is a screenshot from my phone when I got back in.

Notice the dew point. For running somewhere in the 40's is ideal. In the 50's, not bad. In the low 60's okay but not great. In the high 60's it is like running through a steam room. In the 70's? Heck, I cannot recall seeing 73 as a dew point! Sort of like running underwater in a swamp. Still better than winter! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Twocat, you need gills with a dew point like that.

Stumpy, drippy shorts from humidity is preferred to...   just kidding!

As for Southeast Virginia... my car said 98F.  The radio said "Feels like 104F"  Which leads me to my explanation as to why I ride the bike to nowhere...

1. Temperature and humidity are consistently satisfactory at the rec center.

2. I don't want to risk a fall from my bike due to my impending surgery.

3. I do not have permission to ride a road bike. Something about hills aggravates the injury.

4. I am concerned about sunburn. Mom just had MOHS on Monday. She had basal cell on her scalp and squamous cell on her back. The MOHS was just for the scalp. The back was "scraped".

5. I like listening to music and exercising with the rec center patrons.

Today I rode the bike to nowhere. Once again I listened to the REO Speedwagon station. (You can tuna piano but you can't tuna fish)

Today's stats:
                    17.90 miles in 60 minutes. Again, just focused on the RPM. 87-99.

However, I had a nice distraction while I was riding, my friend, John was running on the treadmill in front of me. When he finished, we chatted while I continued to ride. It was nice to be able to bike and chat.  Please read about my friend, he is an excellent runner.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Sayhey! MM#130

Love Childe Hassam!  There's one of the Boston Gardens at twilight I adore.

Good day in CT if you're moss--great line, TC.  Maybe you'll be able to grow gourmet mushrooms in the bathroom!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Marj,  are you and Henry going to "pre-hab" lectures for his total knee?  My friend just had her right knee replaced with a bionic one and she and her husband went to a "pre-hab" class and she did a lot of pre-hab exercises. It helped when she was going through rehab. after the surgery.  She is walking a mile at a time now!

Good luck to dear Henry!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

evanflein

Yes, good luck to Henry. I know he was hoping to avoid that for awhile longer, but apparently that time ran out. I will say I bet he'll be pretty happy with the new knee. Most people who have that done wish they'd done it sooner.

Barb, very good write up of your friend John Piggott. Wow, very impressive. MikeE might get ideas reading that.... No mention of the Maniacs, but he certainly qualifies!

After three days of no running, I had to go out today. My foot felt pretty good when I got up so took that as a good sign. Conditions were hot for us, but there's something about not wanting to miss the hot days of summer here... So, at 83° (and 43% humidity, dewpoint of 63° ) I went out on the trails for 5.5 miles that felt harder than they should have. I guess that's the effect of the heat? Oy, not used to that! Foot felt pretty good the first mile or so, then got kind of sore even up in the metatarsal area. Phooey. Oh well. It's better afterward than after past runs so I'm still calling it a gradual improvement. And I kept on trails to minimize impact. It did feel good to be out there again though. It's really hard to not run when it's so nice out!

Henrun

Marj,  are you and Henry going to "pre-hab" lectures for his total knee?  My friend just had her right knee replaced with a bionic one and she and her husband went to a "pre-hab" class and she did a lot of pre-hab exercises. It helped when she was going through rehab. after the surgery.  She is walking a mile at a time now!

Good luck to dear Henry!

I've been doing a lot of exercises that I started in PT and Iwill continue to do so. The problem is the wait for surgery-knee replacement seems to be more popular than Pokemon-Go.

Marathon Maniac #957

ps rosie/holly - why stationary bike instead of outside.

Tet - I live on a big hill, the kind of stand-in-your-seat-and-zigzag-back-and-forth-to-get-up-it hill, and the doc said absolutely not, just low resistance cycling.  Excellent streaking, btw.

Okay, DH suddenly needs me so I am off again.

60 minutes on the bike trainer plus PT today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

I've been doing a lot of exercises that I started in PT and Iwill continue to do so. The problem is the wait for surgery-knee replacement seems to be more popular than Pokemon-Go.

Praying for you for patience as you wait and a very successful surgery.

Tetsujin, you are starting to worry me with your training activities. What are you doing to the taper boy I know and love so much?

Enkie, hang in there sistah.

Aamos, your posts always crack me up.

Well, I took the day off to be "self-centered" and to do whatever I pleased for my birthday. After a lovely and elegant French breakfast cooked by my son Daniel, I took off for the woods for some trail running (I wish my birthday sistahh, Wildchild was here, we would have enjoyed running together on our birthday). 14 miles total. It was a gorgeous day in the woods.

Happy Mariposai

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard