Masters Running

Friday, June 6th Daily (Read 428 times)

Good morning and welcome to the end of the week. Thanks to each one for your wonderful comments in the forum yesterday that showed the care and concern you have for Any and her husband. There is a great spirit in this group that very much became evident upon learning about this critical event that these fine people were facing yesterday. It was great to get Amy 's "all is well" report last night. We need to continue to remember them in prayer and in our thoughts. A big "Thanks" goes out to Dtoce for the thread he posted from our request, outlining some considerations in this area of being on top of medical issues faced by runners at this age, especially for those with risk factors. As expected, he has done an excellent job of giving us some things to consider, along with links that will help us in our consideration. Thanks as well for Twocat's perspective into this. He certainly gave some good thoughts that are important to consider. The emphasis there showed us that medical testing without due cause may carry more risk than what any benefits may bring. He was not talking about responsible screening and testing when risk factors happen....just about being careful to not go overboard and get tested simply for the sake of testing. For lack of a better illustration, I probably don't need a pap smear test done since I am male. Good stuff and thank you for that. I think the key here is BE INFORMED........get the facts.......know your options...... BE AWARE......know what risk factors YOU have that make your situation important to you BE PROACTIVE........do what is right and don't put off doing it. There always will be surprises. There will always be situations where victims are sadly not able to prepare for a sudden medical crisis. However, when we all are smart, and do the best we can at doing the right things, these situations will be less likely to happen. Procrastination and an attitude of foolhearted carelessness are the two main concerns. That being said, I still know that God is in control. However, included in that control is His allowance of man to make their own decisions in such matters that does carry with it results......both good and bad. OK.......enough on that subject. Just evaluate and DO what you need to do. If you need help or have questions on anything related to this subject, this is a great place to get it. Ask away. I trust each one of you has a great day and weekend and that your runs will be enjoyable even in the heat that many of us will be facing. Be safe. Have a great day. Joey
    Vista

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You are so wonderful Vista! I don't think anyone wants to post anymore until you start us out with your thoughtful posts. Rest day for me!! Yea - after 6 days in a row of running. I was "weather running" this week as they kept predicting storms. We got them but never in the pre-dawn hours, so I would run. Rest day is a term I use loosely these days as I was still up at 5 a.m. to care for puppies, etc. It is an enjoyable sleep deprevation though. TGIF!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Vista.. good synopsis. This is a great group. I'm not complaining about the heat.. A lovely 71F, 92% dripidity. A lovely 6.6 miles of hills (3x2.2 mile loop). First one with Tory who kept the pace to 9:15. Next two at 8 min pace huff'n and puff'n. 6.6 mi in 55:21 (8:23 pace) ETA: Was it a dream or did I really sign up for the Grandfather Mountain Marathon (July 12) last night? I love heat and hills...

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for your insightful and considerate words Joey Smile Glad to here Amy and her DH are doing ok....still an incredible story on how lucky he was being at the right place, at the right time when this possible tragedy occurred. Great job Mary on 6 days in a row...that is a accomplishment....have a nice, well deserved rest day Smile Steve, I actually like the heat too, but I usually need an adjustment period then I am fine. Steve..I think your dream will come true, and a Mountain Marathon sounds painful to me Shocked Boy, the burners are on for sure. It was 89 degrees with high humidity when I began my late run last night, with a little breeze. I felt good till about mile 6, then began to feel the affects of the heat and slowed down to just make it home...I know this is just an adjustment period acclimating to the heat. 8.5 miles in 1:15 @8:48 ave pace....still a good run, just slower than normal for the distance. Have a great TGIF everyone Smile Suppose to be in the 90's all weekend and next week...seems like we went from cold to hot overnight. Be careful out the and be sure and hydrate well and slow down if necessary. Amy....you and your Hubby are still in my thoughts and prayers...I thought of you two a lot on my run last night Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Acclimation runs for me lately. Today was a scorcher. I "ran" (the work used very loosely) 9.25 miles in 1:30. The HR was way up there and this was a tough one. Comparing this run with my fast 8 miler 3 days ago really shows the difference between h&h and H&H. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

It's getting hotter around here -- the next four days after today will be in the mid 90's. Yuck. Maybe I'll try to get out early this weekend. Today was a 3 mile recovery run, 9:16/mi, AHR 137 Have a great weekend!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Frid. to everyone. Yep, summer's here and the livin' is easy! No runs for me for a while. I'll be taking a short hiatus and enjoying different stuff. I was gonna say run cool, but think I'll change that to " run ahead."
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Some good running out there this morning. I managed to put in 6 mi in under an hour...within the first 1/2 mi this morning I got the "knife in the knee" feeling that signals ITB issues. I haven't had that feeling in probably a year. CARP I thought! Stopped and did a good ITB stretch and continued on with careful form. I thought about how I ran 5 last night rather late and how maybe I should do fewer miles, so I made a couple of back up plans for my route. I just listened to my bod. In the end, all was well, and I got them all in. With all this talk of humidity, I just looked ours up. 82%. Living at the coast, it's always humid, so I don't even think about it. Must be nice to live in a place where sometimes there isn't humidity. Smile Though, I guess when the humidity comes, it is much harder to adjust. Have a great weekend!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I'm with Bill on the acclimation run today. A rare weekday run with DW at 5:30 this morning. Even then humidity was high and temps were already in the 70's. 5 miles on foot, then changed, hopped on the bike and rode 10 miles into work. I sure like nice weather. Curious sight on our run this morning. A woman riding her bike on the canal path, wearing sandals, not wearing a helmet, holding a leash, attached to a dog. I'm surprised she wasn't trying to send a text as well.
                    Tramps

Another acclimation run. I didn't even bother with the Garmin and just ran my bread-and-butter 5.2 mile route nice and easy. Good news is that power came back on last night so the AC is on as we brace for some early summer weather that's supposed to creep into the upper 90s here. Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Well, I told Amy yesterday that I would be with her all day, and in fact I couldn't get it out of my mind. I am glad she posted yesterday and let us know what happened. Even the Red Sox pulled through for her, sweeping the Rays. That woman has power! I've had a poor two days. Yesterday my intended 4-mile run turned out to be a plodding, slow and difficult 3-miler and now back home this morning I went out to run and found myself sweating like crazy and breathing very heavily and made it to one mile and packed it in. I think this plan of mine, which I have stuck to very well, has caught up with me once again and I need a bit of recovery. I'll see how tomorrow feels. Spareribs
                          I really really appreciate the time and care that Dale put into his posting. I'm gonna read it carefully this weekend, and copy it onto a permanent place on my PC for future reference. So glad that things went OK yesterday for Aamos and DH. Whew. I decided to run very slowly today and probably Sunday too. Will pick up the pace again only when I really feel up to it. It made for a low pressure and more enjoyable 8 miles this morning.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

vista thanks for the summary you put what I wanted to say better than I did. hopeful strap a Gamin on. You may find puppy sitting involves more running than you might think! It could still be WINTER guys! Would you rather be running in snow, wind and sub-freezing temperatures? Do not answer that evanflein! Big grin Good runs posted this morning by perchcreek, biketm, berger1, WRFB, nonoruns, Craneium, Tramps, and pdr. Spareribs you are probably just having "one of those days" which is, alas, lasting two days. Hopefully the weekend will help you recover and get out again. Aamos so glad to hear your husband is doing well. I will keep my fingers crossed that all continues to go smoothly. Wow, btb actually came back and posted again! Good to see. Maybe it will happen again? My TP and I had planned on an 11 mile run. After about 2 miles an unexpected (at least given the weather forecast) storm blew through. We got soaked. Then lightening started to arrive. We planned to pack it in but on the way back to my house the lightening stopped, we were already drenched and so figured why not finish? At some point it stopped raining so at least some of the run was in dry weather. In the end we did 11.86 miles. Good runs all. Enjoy the day - hot or otherwise!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Rainy run for me and one of the Js. We started off at 7:30 in a gentle rain (54F) and then it poured and poured. We didn't get any thunder and lightning, just heavy rain where your clothes stick and your shoes squish and you have to laugh. We picked up the pace a bit too and averaged 8:20 pace for 13.8 miles. It was fun to race the raindrops with a friend. Perchcreek, after seeing the size of those mountains in Boone and Blowing Rock, NC yesterday I am more than impressed that you'll be doing Grandfather Mountain. There was a billboard along Route 321 about the marathon (I was wending my way back to the Charlotte airport). I am sure you'll be ready! Not only did Amy work her magic for the Sox---the Celtics won last night. Go Amy and D! Craneium--I loved your post about the jokes for the principal. What was the reaction? Good runs out there even in the humidity. Get some rest Ribs and you'll come back with fresh legs and a spring in your step for sure. Rare work day for me tomorrow---board meeting in NH. I was hoping to goof off this afternoon...oh well. Time to greet my desk. Happy Friday friends, Karin/CNYrunner
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hooray for Amy's DH!! I'm so glad. Every time I thought about you, Amy, tears came to my eyes when I thought about what you went through and what a miracle it was that your DH made it. I would appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers, on a much smaller scale! My ankle started bothering me earlier in the week, but nothing more than other twinges I've had. Yesterday on my 5.3-mile run, though, it got worse, and by last night I was limping around. This is the first time I've had pain like this from running, and I'm kind of freaking out. I'm thinking achilles problem. I did call my doctor this morning and they're going to see me at 11:45, at a facility with testing equipment. On a funny note, I can't tell you how weird I felt saying, "It's important because I'm training for a half marathon!" I felt like an imposter or something - how are those words coming out of my mouth?!? OK, I'm going to do some deep breathing now. Thanks for listening! Teresa