Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.28.17 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    Tramps (5 morning miles)
    Dave59 (4 EZ morning TM miles at the gym)
    RunnerKSA (3.6 morning miles in 20° with windage + 2.4 afternoon TM miles)
    Mike (11 miles at 6:55 avg pace in -13° temps)
    Deeze (1.2 EZ mile on a gym TM + 20 min on stair mill)
    Jlynne (6 morning TM miles + 20 min of weights & core)
    Tomwhite (60 min X-bike with pants on)
    Henrun (stretches & weights + elliptical and yoga at the Y)
    C-R (40 min spin cross-training)
    Bioguy (6 miles with cold remnants)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Holly (7 morning TM miles watching Doctor Who)

Falconfixer (6 miles, half with a running partner)

Tet (early morning snow-rolling)

Evanflein (4.1 EZ, pre-dinner TM miles)

Tomwhite, I had a similar issue with my father not being able to hear me on the phone. I got tired of yelling and accomplishing nothing, so I took to writing him letters every couple of weeks (we lived 1500 miles apart). He never wrote back, so I just hope he got something from my letters.

We have an Alexa that someone gave us for Christmas, 2016. We still haven’t figured out it’s value, so it sits on a table, unplugged. Perhaps we need the Echo Silver…

Deeze, I wear my Yak Traks when the roads are completely snow-covered, and I can get some decent traction with them. They are useless on ice, and if the roads are only partially snow-covered, I just wear my shoes, and slow down for the slick patches. Less than ideal, but better than nothing. Never tried Nordic Grips. Most of our roads are in decent shape after Monday's snow. I hope you had a good visit with Justin.

C-R, bummer about your DD’s boyfriend. Glad you are there for support. And nice to know you have ‘family discounts’ available if needed.

Congrats to Bioguy and your DW on your 25th anniversary!

I'm sorry that your knee has you sidelined, Mariposai. I hope the rest, ice and Ibu do their jobs.

5.2 RW miles at J o'clock in refreshing 1° with -11 WC at a 10:58 avg pace. A guy I know was out in his truck, and he stopped to offer me a ride home. Nice of him to offer, but I declined. Today's workout got me over 1700 miles for the year - first time I've gone over 1300! Maybe I'll coast for the rest of the year.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

(((Mariposai))) hope you see some improvement soon.

Wimping out today.  About 10F out there this morning; a little chilly for bike riding so I'll settle for some exercises.

Here you go...warm up.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

8° this morning. I went to the gym for 3.3 miles on the treadmill.  The gym was very empty this morning. 

3 miles left to 100 for the month.  I probably won't make that a regular monthly goal because I prefer switching between running and other stuff like the ARC trainer and weights. I don't seem to have what it takes to do everything all the time.

So many people off work makes things nice and calm. You'd think that would help productivity but I find myself having to fight to keep interested in work. But I am winning the fight most the time and getting some stuff done.

Mariposa- I'm sorry you have to go through the knee swelling and pain.  I hope it improves quickly!

I couldn't face the 16 degrees with some wind.  Just couldn't.  Went downstairs for 4.5 miles on the treadmill.  If I can get in a little bit more later in the day, I can hit the 2000 tomorrow.   We are going to see Robert Earl Keen at the Ryman tonight, so it will be a later night than we usually have.  And tomorrow I have to drive my husband 2 1/2 hours up into Kentucky to pick up his new Chevy Bolt electric car.  They are very scarce and that's where he has to go to get one.  Tax incentives if he gets it this year.   I'm not a fan of this whole plan..... He swears the extended life battery will get him home.  We'll see.

1.3 more miles, so I should be able to hit the 2000 mark tomorrow.    5.8 for the day today.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning, Masters!  Yesterday's thread was long and interesting, but I guess I never got around to posting, so I didn't make Jay's recap this morning.    I ran 5 miles around our snow-packed dirt roads wearing screw shoes, and saw another beautiful sunset behind the divide.  30°F and windy.

Sorry to hear about all the below zero temps in the midwest!  Hope it warms up a bit!

Happy anniversary to Bioguy.

Posie, take care of that knee - rest up and you'll be back better than ever.

We had DD and DSIL and my sister here for Christmas.  The day my sister left, my DD went to the airport to pick up a visiting friend of hers from college, and the friend stayed here at our house for a night.  My DD and DSIL's place is too small to really have guests, and I'm  happy that she feels comfortable inviting friends to stay here!   Now they've all gone and it's really quiet, but kind of nice to have the place to ourselves again.

Twocat, I don't remember any of my running friends bailing because of weather, but then again they're all bad ass ultra runners...  (like Tammy!)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

spacityrunner

2.25 miles around the neighborhood.  1st run in over a month.  26f.  13 m/m.  December will be few running miles but got more hiking miles.  

Need to find some relief for my butt...rest didn't do it.  I think it is sciatica irritating the piriformis (says dr google) Sigh....

Trails Rock!

evanflein nothing like getting called back to a university between sessions due to paperwork problems. I hope you can clear it up fast and leave.

tetsujin209 some reliable solution to posting pictures on RA has to be found. I used Facebook but I do not always want the pictures to show up in my feed there. I have had to give up on Google photos because they do not always show up here. This is becoming a problem.

Falconfixer life in the armed forces seems really different. Most people go somewhere and stay for a long time. You all are transferred around all the time. My DW's niece's DH (in the air force) was just transferred to Virginia but apparently this may be a relatively short deployment. Then it is off to somewhere else again.

Surly Bill the trick is to send the DW off to thrift stores without you. My DW decided a long time ago she was better off if I just stayed home. I think we are both happier this way.

Mariposai continue healing up! We all want to see you healthy again. That food thing though will be tough.

Holly S. amen on the "I hate winter" sentiment.

coastwalker you went out in 1°!  That is way crazier tougher than I could manage.

Tramps around here we will need a bigger fire.

Dave59 and RunnerKSA three cheers for the TM when the temperatures drop down into the teens!

RunnerKSA I sure hope you DH is also aware that when the temperatures drop battery life drops with it. What is the expected distance on that car in current temperatures? After a very quick look on the web it looks like you lose about 30% of the car's possible range.

wildchild nice hotel you are running there!

spacityrunner sigh, no word as to when my neighborhood will see temperatures over 25° again.

With temperatures this morning in the single digits, my training partner bagged our run together. I cannot say that I am all that sorry. The thought of going out in today's cold was not making me happy. With my "group" (as in group of 2) run cancelled I went down to the TM for 7 miles. To help the time pass I dropped the pace to something like I wish I could run a marathon at for every other mile. It did work. The time went by quite a bit faster.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...good thing

there is no such thing as ''Climate Change'' or we'd be in a World of Hurt.......

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/12/17/571050071/how-to-survive-climate-change-clues-are-buried-in-the-arctic

==========

........11-degrees this morning ( I think ''Normal''  is 40s)

50-min HH on hills

.................good work-outs to ya..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

metalmancpa

6.3 miles in balmy Falmouth MA (14 degrees) and cool breezes (below zero wind chill). It's all in how you dress, and by the 4th mile I had to unzip the outer shell as I was nice and toasty warm. The illuminite running mittens kept my Raynauds in check, and the balaclava kept the asthma in check, and my layers (4) kept we warm.

C-R

Hey Everyone.

Better day for DD today. Several of her HS friends home on break rallied to her side. You're quite correct Tet that it's good to learn this stuff early about people and get them out of your life. She's a very gentle soul and thinks the best of people. We've tried to raise them all to be positive about themselves and others but that also means sometimes people will take advantage of that niceness. Sigh. More hugs and coffee chats.

Mariposai - sorry about the knee. I hope they can help before that expensive MRI. Make sure you shop around if you have to get one. There are many price options as I've found here in the Midwest.

Metal - we fought with my mom's dementia for years. Some days were good and others not. He may not remember but my gut tells me he knows he's loved and cared for by family and that makes all the difference.

Karen - as twocat mentioned - batteries degrade performance with lower temps. Don't let your husband pull a Kramer on E. Epically funny Seinfeld episode.

Falconfixer - sounds like you manage a flightline ops. Mx office? McDill is a good location for a Wing Commander IMO. Enjoy those returning from deployment. Always good for a home coming for the holidays.

Throw another log on that fire Tramps.

My training partner and I waited until 1 to run. We're both on vacation. It got all the way to 16 and the winds were about 7mph (which is light around here). Made for a nice 8 mile tempo run. Ice on the jacket and face mask were a bonus..

Carolyn is correct - trail runners are hardcore.

Off to some chores.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hi-Dee Ho - I'm back in the Land of Living.  It was too chaotic at my niece's house to do more than peruse FB once in awhile, so I have no idea what's going on in here.  Her kids - eye, yi, yi!  Not only was I exhausted mentally when I left there, but I ended up catching whatever her 4-yr old had come down with last Wednesday and had the rest of the time I was there.  Barely made it home Tuesday before I had to hit the couch with chills and slight fever.  Thank God for TheraFlu! It only last about 24 hrs, but is advancing into a cold.  Kids - little petri dishes of germs. 

Had a good time, though.  Except for when my nephew and his girlfriend came to visit during Memorial Day, I hadn't seen any of my family since last Christmas.  Time flies too darn fast.

Still on crutches.  Can't get into my ortho until Jan 8.  I figure by that time, I should be walking on two feet again.   I called my podiatrist and asked to be put on their cancellation list.  There's a nerve and circulation issue going on, as well, so I'm wondering if they'd be the best option anyway.  In the meantime, I'm staying off it, doing my contrast baths, and massaging my toes to help with circulation.

It looks like everyone else survived Christmas and is keeping the Running Spirit alive and well.  Sorry for all the incredible cold temps people are experiencing.  That's why I live on the West Coast. 

Liz - Do you have anyone in your area that practices Muscle Activation Technique (MAT) Therapy?  It's the only way I have ever been able to find relief for my sciatic issues.  OR, you  might contact a sports chiro and talk to him/her about cupping (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dzV55EuBu8).  It worked miracles on my butt issue.  I'm a true believer!

Okay - For some reason the work didn't quit piling up while I was gone.  Wha's up with dat???

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...judging by your avatar fatozzig, I think you need a nap.....

and

a LOT less caffeine

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Ridiculous cold!  I gave in to the "no one in the house is getting up early" and slept in to 6:15am, which means that I did not have enough time to run, but did manage a 30 minute weights and core workout.

I took off work at 2pm so I could drive DH to his follow-up appointment (he's not supposed to drive for a couple of days).  All is well and I made the December deadlines that were going to happen.  I will work remotely tomorrow and then am taking Tuesday off.  Looking forward to a relaxing weekend after the holiday frenzy.

With biter temps in the forecast for the next 8-10 days, I am trying to figure my LR.  Likely I will do it Saturday morning, when the temps will be warmer but with several inches of new snow.  We shall see. I need to get a face mask.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Wow, Jay--that's a big jump in miles--did you do that intentionally?

Oh, Tramps--why did you do that?  Watching that fire reminds me of sitting at your place, watching TV, with your wood stove burning...the most relaxing couple of days I've had in a very long time...can I come back...tomorrow...and stay...forever?

Posting pictures--I can only copy pictures from Facebook.  If I don't want a picture posted on Facebook then I tag it for me only.  It works for me.

We got an inch of snow, over night, and I didn't feel like slipping around in it, so I did 6 miles on the treadmill.  It was an easy run, so I didn't mind as much.  I used my Apple Watch and it said I ran 6.3 miles...I think the treadmill is more accurate.  I'm not sure I like this thing.  I really need to spend some time figuring it out.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tramps - that’s the kind of fireplace the local FOX channel had going non-stop until noon on Christmas morning.  Even took a photo in front of it to pretend that we had one.
                                yay,  jay’s added workouts to the daily review!, . . .
                                and still doesn’t discount real walkers.
                                SIX MILES - however, went for a six miler anyway to morning acupuncturist appointment.  What a deal - spend two-or-three minutes sticking 25-30 needles into someone and then come back an hour later to take them all out, . . . at least, all of them most of the time except this morning with a substitute (while the regular sticker is on vacation) leaving one of the skinnies still stuck in my stomach on the way out.  Nice souvenir. Somehow, very relaxing though.  
                                KSA CHEVY ELECTRIC - is it a Bolt now?  
                                Our charcoal grey 2013 Chevy Volt purchased second hand a year-and-a-half ago is the first car I’ve had since high school days that I really, really, really like, . . yep, I love it almost as much as twocat likes to cook, . . . enough to be happy to wash, . . .  even more than once-a-week sometimes.  Though the new ones like yours charge for up to 200 and more miles, our 38-45 miler in the summer drops to 35-or-so miles for most of the mild winter here in the PNW but is only getting 25-26 miles now that temps are dipping down to freezing at night.  Doesn’t matter though as there’s nowhere we go that’s more than 10-12 miles away but definitely not so great for someone with longer distance daily commutes and vacation plans. Maybe we top off the fuel tank once every two-or-three months whenever the gas gauge gets down to three-quarters or so. Love it, love it, love it.
                                ps - except for “charge times will vary with outside temperature” and to keep the battery warm when it’s below freezing outside, the 300+ page Owner manual is silent on miles-per-charge, etc.  Maybe they don't want us to know the batteries gradually die down over the years. Not sure if it does any good but we keep a warm quilt in the front seat to avoid having to waste electricity on heating, etc. Besides, the seats have the electric warming DW likes. Not me.  Of course, she likes the hot water washings and hot seats of Japanese commodes too.     

FROSTIES - slight drizzle and temps to 47-48 quickly melting away the two frosties made on Christmas Day so much that I’ve had to combine the remnants to make one solo guy sitting on a very green, out-of-place,grass lawn.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)