Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 2.7.18 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    Dave59 (4 park miles with some walking)
    Tramps (5 miles with murmuration/susurration)
    RunnerKSA (3.5 morning Strava-free miles + 2 post-work TM miles)
    Henrun (4 chilly morning miles)
    C-R (2 ick miles)
    Spacityrunner (2.5 cold/windy neighborhood miles)
    Tomwhite (48 min Poolrun, NB, CF, RIS, PAW)
    Tammy (5 lunchtime miles in sunny mid-40s temps)
    Tet (5 rain-free, quarter-moon-lit miles)
    Bioguy (butt-kicking 8.5 miles with 12X1/4 mile intervals + ¼ mi. recoveries)
    Holly (5 morning TM miles)
    Evanflein (32 min of pool running)

Falconfixer (2 quick, EZ pre-work miles + 7.76 miles of lunchtime 4X1200 intervals = teaching spin post-work)

Deeze (6.7 vacation miles)

Twocat (8 early miles)

Surly Bill (12.2 IRC miles)

SteveP (2 pre-work miles + 3 after)

I suspect that I have sleep apnea, but can’t stand the concept of sleeping with stuff on my face, so I won’t get tested. Stupid, I know...

Sorry I missed your Monday miles, Deeze. I'm sure they were legit!

I'm pretty happy with my 3 year-old Garmin 220.

SteveP, does A Doggie know about the ice cream ban? Or doesn't it apply to him?

I was in 2 meetings from 9 till 12 yesterday. Both were great, with lots of good info/ideas. The only problem is that now I have even more work to do. I’m supposed to be semi-retired, and I can barely keep up any more with all my volunteer stuff. Maybe I can get Milktruck to help out…

I woke up a little early this morning (lots of flotsam and jetsam floating around my brain), so I got in an extra mile or two because with snow and freezing rain on the way for later today and tonight, I have a feeling I won't be able to workout tomorrow morning. I also have an 8AM meeting tomorrow and it may be a challenge to get our driveway/walks cleared in time to get to the meeting on time. So 8.3 RW miles this morning. Even though I got an early start, I still wound up behind schedule, and so had to pass on my 2nd cuppa coffee before heading out to the office. So look out everybody!

have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Thanks for the great start Jay.

It's 33° with a steady rain. It doesn't take a forum rule to know not to run outside in that. I went to the gym and did an easy 3 on the treadmill.

I'm off a half day tomorrow to take Cindy to her eye surgery but if work goes ok today I will extend that to a full day.  I'll have my new Garmin later today and I think I'll be wanting to take it for a test run when it is light.

...mornin' guys......

=================

''tomwhite, what do you mean by "push against the water"? '''

.....erika//.........when I hit the shallows I turn my palms ''face out'' and literally push the wrong-way as I run to the end......

but remember

I'm trying to make this work-out as Difficult as I can since I'm not supposed to be Running anymore

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Managed to repel the bed magnet this morning and made it out for my 3.1 mile lake loop.  21° but no breeze was a nice brisk run.  Stole DW's Subaru so i can make it home through the coming snowpocolypse tonight.  Might make tomorrow morning a little interesting.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Morning all,

no run for me today. Will leave work early - head up to hospital and visit my brother, then DH and I have a project of putting together our new platform bed frame tonight. 

so my brother - - I get a text from his girlfriend yesterday that he went to ER with severe abdominal area pain and they admitted him for emergency surgery.  Apparently, he had been having pain, tolerable but still pain, for about the last 10 days. He went to a walk-in clinic at a community health center here and the PA said he had gastritis. sent him home. By yesterday morning, the pain was unbearable so he drove himself to the ER. They said his appendix had to come out. They did a CT scan and this was going to be anything but routine. Based on scan it appeared that the appendix was lodged up behind his colon and there was a chance he'd have to have part of lg intestine and/or colon removed but they wouldn't know til they got in. So obviously this was not going to be a laparoscopic procedure. He didn't actually go in for surgery until almost 8 last night. She texted me at 10 that he was out, appendix out but everything else still intact. But appendix was partially dead and leaking poison out. basically going septic I guess. He'll be in hospital for 3-5 days. he'll be hating this for sure.  So I guess I'll bring my cheery self over to see him. 

Tammy

Tammy- that sounds terrible!  I hope he recovers well.  I’m glad they got to it in time.

I rarely get sick, but today I am.  I suspect I caught this cold on the church retreat- just too many women all inside and sharing too many things. So- working from home and trying not to spread my germs.  Will need to drag myself down to the treadmill later to at least get a mile or two for my streak.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Cripes, Tammy!  So happy it wasn't anything worse.  Recovering from laparoscopic surgery is bad enough, let alone when they have to go in and start moving things around, etc.  I held a pillow to my stomach whenever I had to move around and it helped a lot.  Hope he recovers quickly.

Tom - I did that "EZ" single leg squat this morning - that ain't so easy!  The two pieces of my step stool are too short to be effective on their own.  Together, they're about 18" tall.  I couldn't squat all the down 'til my foot touched the floor, but I'm determined to get there.

For those of you freezing your butts off, I'll try to send a little warmth your way.  We're supposed to get to 68-69 today with clear blue skies.  It's nice, but it would also be really nice to get more rain.  We need it!

1 hr of core/ST with some hip and hammy stretching at the end.  I'm hoping that keeping my hips more flexible will help keep ye ole pelvis in position, thereby eliminating any hammy issues.  I'm working hard on strengthening my left leg.  Boy oh boy did it get weak fast.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...fatozzig//........Go Easy,

we used a shallower step to start (or go down less)

and

you work UP to the 20-reps

I tried it last night and topped out at 16 (since I'm doing different cardio now)

...fatozzig//........Go Easy,

we used a shallower step to start (or go down less)

and

you work UP to the 20-reps

I tried it last night and topped out at 16 (since I'm doing different cardio now)

I topped out at two sets of 10 on my left and 12 on my right with the pole, no weights.  After that, my form started to deteriorate.  I've been doing a lot of other hip strengthening exercises, which is probably the only reason I was able to do as many as I did.

I'm also doing more foot strengthening exercises and found that the leg swing shown about halfway through this video is surprisingly challenging, especially on my weaker left side. I keep wanting to curl my toes for stability.  For the life me, I can't figure how to do the "short foot" exercise without curling my toes.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

...I remember that one......try putting the foot flat and bring the ball and heel ''in''

....just said

I Remember It,

NOT that I can do it

===========

60-min x-bike

..soccer fields are totally Flooded today

2.5 slow treadmill miles so the streak lives on.  Daytime TV is simply mind-boggling.  Do people watch this stuff?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

SteveP you are going to have a tough road ahead with all sweets banned. Good luck!

TammyinGP that is one awful story. But, at least the misdiagnosis was caught in time. My poor dad was not so lucky with his cancer of kidney lining.

coastwalker you getting up earlier than the early you already get up.  Is that even possible and do something other stay awake for 24 hours?

Dave59 good call. Always follow rule #1.

I had no questions about what to do this morning since it was an elliptical day. An hour on the machine and then off to the office. Early on today an icy rain started to come down and it looks like it will not let up until late tonight. I have scheduled a 16 mile run for tomorrow morning, I hope I can do it outside. Class this morning was a bit of an adventure for me. Yesterday at about 5pm I realized that I had miscounted lectures and needed to fill one in today.  I put some material together over a few hours to get me through part of the class. After that I figured I would need to wing it. Overall I think it turned out fine. Whew! I really do not want to have that happen again!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Recovering from laparoscopic surgery is bad enough, . . .

Tammy - very scary.  I still have my appendix but often wondered if it shouldn’t be preemptively removed in my younger days adventures sailing out into the Bering Sea for three months at a time and up in the Alaska wilderness for the same.

However, until four months ago when I went into the same hospital where I was born in 1943 for a abdominal laparoscopic rearranging of some loose innards, I wouldn’t even’ve known what "laparoscopic" meant. It was the first time in a hospital since 1943 too so, when they told me it was an “outpatient procedure,” I assumed no problem for an annual favorite 10K on Sunday, to be followed by an even more favorite 12-hour fun run on the following Saturday.

Nope, you don’t go poking even small holes in people without some major recovery time, . . . unless it’s just an old person thing.  Maybe your bro’s young enough that his real surgery won’t be so bad.  I hope so but doubt it.  Good luck. Is he in Oregon too?

Good job, twocat.

However, it's not called "winging it"

when you've got your kind of smarts.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Tet  - yes, my brother moved here from Mpls about 3 yrs ago. He lives in Grants Pass, so just about 10 miles from me. We haven't lived in the same town since I was a senior in HS some 30 + yrs ago. Not long after I graduated college, I moved out to Seattle, so would maybe see him once every 3 -4 yrs. 
                              It was pretty scary and definitely a wake-up call to not ignoring ongoing pain. Like so many people these days, there was a lot of self-diagnosing going on via Dr. Google but also a dismissive nature from the clinic he first went to, so this could have been prevented had he been seen by a doctor or had he been more assertive in determining cause of pain. But I told him in the grand scheme of things, he got lucky because at least he's not dead, which could have happened had this gone on for even a day or two longer before he sought medical care. He response: yeah, I guess dead is bad.  

Tammy

...I remember that one......try putting the foot flat and bring the ball and heel ''in''

....just said

I Remember It,

NOT that I can do it

That's hard!  I keep wanting to either roll my ankle/foot inward or curl my toes.

Tet - Nope, it's not just an old person thing.  I was very surprised at how painful it was after my appendix (as teen) and my gall bladder (as an adult) were removed.  Some of the worst part was trying to rid my body of the air that's pumped into you so they can see what's going on. I would walk around as much as I could trying to move that gas out.

In 2014, I signed up to be a participant in a years' long survey about ultra runners.  The first survey was in April 2014, and I just completed the 2nd one.  It's extensive and took about an hour.  It asks about diet, activity, illnesses, injuries, etc., since the last survey, as well as approximately how many miles I've run since the initial survey.  It was interesting to review the last 4 year and realize just how much I actually accomplished, running-wise, and I was impressed by some of the weekly mileage, especially for a gal who detested running and most any other exercise until about 11 years ago. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Since April 2014 to the present, I've run approximately 4,000.  Considering I wasn't able to run at all from Feb 10, 2017, until about mid October, and that I screwed myself up from mid-December to about 4 weeks ago, it's about 1,200 miles years (+/-).  I'll take it. 

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance