Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 12/1 (Read 352 times)

jfa

All who wander are not lost. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Leslie- enjoyed that game did you?

Arla- you are tough to keep up with.

8+ 3 yesterday,  then 16 on the mill today. 39 miles in the last 3 days so I'm back on track.

To answer about the damage around here. Many shore towns, such as ours, had a lot of flooding damage to houses within 3 blocks of the beach. Water up to the top of the first floors required these home owners to strip the house to the studs, then rebuild. Those were the lucky ones. The unlucky ones no longer have a house to rebuild and some don't even have their yards left because they were washed away.

The damage to boardwalks was also capricious. Some are ok, some completely gone. You have probably seen the picture of the roller coaster in the ocean. That's Seaside Park ,which is 20 miles south of here. All the shore towns, because their economies depend on them, will try to rebuild their boardwalks and shore businesses. Some will be better equipped than others to do this. But the boardwalk that I run, between Spring Lake and Asbury Park, won't be back until next spring, at the earliest. The supports are still there, but every stick of lumber is gone.

flatland mountaineer

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I had some decent runs early in the week, just a little shorter due to getting over that bug, We got up early to travel to Lynda's sis on the CO front range for some smoked turkey and all the trimmings. I did fairly well controlling my intake but did have to have a sliver of Lynda's BIL's pecan pie, he is an excellant cook. Then after desert headed on up in the hills for a Black Friday hike with my bud Igloo Ed his ski partener Frank and Frank's 2 preteen boys. The boys were such a hoot and future mountaineers. Just enough snow to make footing a little treacherous and the youngest took a nasty face plant, cheek to granite rock early on but what a trooper as he completed the hike. We climbed a glacial knob with about 400 foot vertical from the steep side, it was melted off so we didn't use the technical gear we had for the 5.3 kinda exposed crux move but still had the adrnaline pumping pretty good. Then we scouted ski routes for winter on the mellower side along with some additional rock hopping ridge climbing to get back to the lot. I felt good the whole trip and relatively strong for my fitness level except my knees were pretty angry by the time we made the parking lot. Took Sat off as the knees esp under the patella were still kinda grouchy then got in a rather spoinky 7 yesterday.

Leslie funny story about getting your days mixed up on the long weekend. It is kinda the norm here on our big spring and fall runs as all the days run together. Looks like your Irish are in!

Arla and Joe good luck on mile 2Kfor 12! Arla sounds like you are on schedule, hope you survived the weekend double, Joe you have shown your treadmill prowess before so we know you can do it. Sounds like a huge job to rebuild the Sandy damage, and guessing the new normal is going to be reconstruction for some time. Hope it progresses rapidly.

Stumpy nice 5 k and close to home also. The turkey trot crowd near here isn't really a racy crowd. We did a 4 miler on the front range a few years back and I lined up about 1/3 of the way back and didn't really get to run the first half mile, walkers, dog walkers (not the Dessa Lou speed racer type dogs either), stollers etc....Congrats on beating 2011 mileage.

Cindy sounds like a housefull for TG, hope you and 'raid got out for a breather.

Belated happy TG to evryone else.

We went up this side, (climbers left) of this knob (August 2009 photo).

The view from the top of the 10,200 foot knob looking at Hallet Peak about 12,200 feet. Very little snow for this time of year. Still mild and dry here. Great for running, Ag not so much.

Photo: Hallet looking boney on black fri

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that? quote from Back to the Fut III

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Thanks for getting us started, Joe.  And thanks for the update of your area.  My heart goes out to everyone.

Beautiful pics, Jim.  For the kid who face-planted - war wounds to brag about in school. Smile

And the Irish are undefeated!  Woo hoo!!

4 miles w/5 strides at the end in the quiet predawn hours, followed by about 45 min of lower body and core work.  My goal is to get in core/ST 3-4 times a week, alternating the days I do lower and upper body and changing up the core so I'm doing some type of core work every time.  My lower back's been barking at me, which means I've been negligent in that area.

Cripes, I'm trying to get my 2013 schedule in place, and one of the race companies is taking forever to get its calendar posted.  I know they're dong their best and still trying to get some permits in place, but I sure am itching to know what they have planned for March and April and if they're still going to do Headlands 50 in September.  I emailed them on that one, but haven't heard back yet.  I need to make some decisions by early December for March and April.  My goals this next year are lofty:

March - a 50k

April - a 50k

May - Western States 3-Day Training Camp (70 Miles) over Memorial Day Weekend (registration opens Dec. 8)

July 13 - Mt. Hood 50 (registration opens Dec. 1)

Sept - Headlands 50

If I could throw in another ultra in Feb, I'd get ultra maniac status (Feb, Mar, Apr), but I don't think my coach will go for it.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

“All that is gold does not glitter,
          Not all those who wander are lost;
          The old that is strong does not wither,
          Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
          A light from the shadows shall spring;
          Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
          The crownless again shall be king.” 
          ― J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring

New Hobbit movie out soon!  Went to see "Skyfall" for the $5 movies yesterday...I thought it rather good, although, I've always mourned the destruction of a perfectly good classic car! The minute they opened the garage door on the silver Aston Martin DB5 from Goldfinger,  I told DH, "oooh, they're going to blow it up!!!" ...and they did! 

Oh Goody, a race to 2K!!  if I bet on Arla, would Joe run faster or further? Evil

Kewl pics, Jim!  Snow's a bit thin yet...hope it settles into a better season than last! I actually didn't end up with a houseful for TG. Lots of little tweaks brought us down to a smaller group. 

Running's been a little thin, but still getting some in...'Raid's having a little hip pain again so we've backed off a bit & I've been doing a little more core/ST stuff to kinda shake things up & get moving towards a more intensive program! woo-hoo?  

Have a great week!! 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Yes, definitely "Woo Hoo," Cindy.  Smile  {{{Healing Hugs}}} for 'Raid.

4 miles this a.m. with a little bit of hill work included, followed by an hour of upper body and core.  I did some core workouts I found at RunLikeAGirl.  Holy cow!  I can already feel that I'm gonna be sore.  If you go to the web site, click "Workouts" (not either of the pop up options) and check out the video at the bottom right.  It's a little over 8 min in length.  The moves are great, but the dog was cracking me up!

Shorty had gotten only a couple of blocks from the house this morning when a kid ran out in front of him.  He had to hit the brakes to keep from hitting the kid.  Our power washer, which was in the back of the truck, dumped over and broke the wand.  He came back to the house to call around to try and find a replacement.  I am very proud of him for not completely blowing up over the whole incident, which is what the old Shorty would have done.  . . . I definitely like the new Shorty. Smile

Okay - Gotta hit the keyboard work-wise.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

8 rainy, windy miles this a.m. for me, with 8x100m strides thrown in at the end.  By the time I got home, I was soaked, cold, and pooped, but felt good.

We’re suppose to be getting a butt load of rain for the next few days with the heaviest rains and possibly flooding coming Saturday.  Should make for a muddy trail run, wherever I end up going.  Fun stuff!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Fun muddy stuff Leslie!

Cindy- looking forward to The Hobbit movie. Read all four books way back when in HS and thought the movies represented the stories very well.

Nice pics Jim! Tough stuff indeed the kid with the face mash.

Finally got outside today after 3 days and 37 miles on the mill. 9.5 in 37* and breezy.

For Joe:

Today was an hour of core/strength training, and I'm definitely glad it wasn't a run day.  The wind last night and until about 6:00 a.m. was vicious, and now we're having heavy rain.  Flood watches are in effect through the weekend, and the City is supplying sand and sandbags free of charge to anybody in need.  We have a sump pump ready and waiting since in this kind of weather we always end up with standing water under our house due to the slight slope from the alley behind us all the way to the front of our property.  Any trail running Saturday will be dependent up on the winds as I don't need any branches landing on my head!

I'm behind on the bookkeeping here at work since I was gone last week, so today and tomorrow are designated bookkeeping days. . . . . somebody just shoot me, please. Dead

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

I would love to keep up with you guys but I'm too busy running!  

Joe - oh, man, that's a devastating picture you paint of the storm aftermath. 

Jim - your climb sounds awfully scary to me, I thought you didn't like exposure...? Nice pics! Hope the knees feel better, the sproinky followup run bodes well.

Leslie - Girrrrlll! That looks like a really ambitious schedule! I didn't even know there was such a thing as an ultra maniac, that's....well...maniacal. 

Cindy - really, truly, they blew up an Aston Martin? Boo hiss. 

The 70 mile week thing...seems like the pattern is med long + long over the weekend, then the first part of the week I feel tired and wonder if I can keep it up, then the last part of the week I recover and all is well, and then it's back to the tough weekend. Time will tell...

Ex runner

jfa

Thanks Leslie! Need the TV though. No TV, no treadmill.

Good going Arla. Peeked at your log.

I'm up to 76m for 7 days. My all time high is within sight at 84.

Need to front load. Company staying over during Christmas so I have to get some banked!

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - 84 miles....wooooo...impressive...I really can't imagine getting above the low to mid-70s. At my pace, 70 miles is right around 12 hours of running. Kinda puts a dent on other activities other than work/eat/sleep. 

Ex runner

I can't freaking imagine getting up into the 70s and 80s a week period!  You guys are awesome!!

4.35 EZ miles this a.m., and I did manage to keep them easy for once.  It was a bit windy, but nothing earth shattering.  It was actually a very beautiful morning with the bright moon showing through the cloud cover.  Thankfully, the rain stayed away, but it has since come in a couple of torrential downpours this morning.  We're still suppose to get a ton of rain, but right now I see blue skies outside the wind.  *fingers crossed*

Registration for Mt. Hood 50 opens tomorrow.  I intend to be up bright and early so I ensure my registration.  Then I'll worry out the logistics of camping out at the start line if Kate doesn't run it next year.

Re Ultra Maniac - It's just the regular ole Maniac status, but it was obtained running ultras.  I emailed Coach Gary the following.  We'll see what he says.

Feb 9 - American Canyon 50k
                          Mar 16 - Rodeo Valley 50k
                          Apr 21 - Sunsweet 50k

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yes...you guys ARE awesome!

Jim, nice pics of the mountains.  I still dream of doing Longs Peak and snowshoeing to the igloos! 

anothr 1.75 for me this morning. 

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

ev!!!!! Nice to hear from you! 

Leslie - OK, I get it...that would be impressive! Is it hard to get into Mt. Hood these days. 

Been dodging major downpours so far, but it looks like tomorrow my luck might run out, they're predicting a whopper rainstorm. 

Ex runner

Hi, Ev!!!!  You've been miseed ~

We've been getting lots of rain here, too. Yesterday it was 13 soaking wet miles with my running buddy, Karen, in the Arcata Community Forest.  First time we've had a chance to run together in quite awhile.  Lots of climbing and descending.

ALSO - am SO glad I made myself a note to register first thing yesterday morning for the Mt. Hood 50 'cause it filled in 5:46!  Going back in the hopes of improving on my time this past July of 12:13:41.  We'll see . . .

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance