Masters Running

Race Reports for the February 24&25 weekend (Read 29 times)

Mariposai

Happy Year Chinese New Year to all!!!. May the year of the Dog give us great race experiences and many miles.

Here is wishing our Intrepid Racers a fun race. WE ALL look forward to reading your racing adventures this weekend.

The One and Only one on the Intrepid Thread who is racing this weekend is....

02/25 tetsujin - Lunar New Year of the Dog 5K - Shoreline, WA

But we know that many others will be at the starting line as well so....

CHEERS to all!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

Today was the Winter Trail Frosty (WTF) 1/4 and Half Marathon at Eagle Creek park here in Indianapolis. I planned on running the half but 1) having run 7.5 with the runners club at 8am and a 10am start for the race made things interesting and 2) it was pouring rain and 40 degrees. So I opted for the shorter race. I run these trails almost every week so I had a suspicion of what was to come.

I changed shirts and jacket for the race from the morning run and just took off. It was nice to warm up a bit but you were soaked within 5 minutes of stepping out of the car. I knew it was going to be fun when we made the first turn into the trails and the puddles were already getting large. Suffice it to say there was water and mud everywhere. We even had a stream crossing (usually not one there) that had water over my knees.

The main goal was not to fall (success) and finish in under and hour (59:06) so it was a fun race. I don't think I can remember being that muddy and wet from a race. I had fun so overall a win for the team. Hopefully the race didn't do too much damage to the trails.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Good job, Norm!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Cool! (literally)

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #957

Brrr!  But great job, C-R!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Norm - Good running in those conditions.

SteveP

Cripes Norm, that sounds tough.

I had the opposite. DW, a cousin and I weer at the Gasparilla races in Tampa. There's a 15K and a 5K on Saturday. Sunday sports a half and a 10K. DW and I landed Friday night with a plan to hit the expo and hopefully get a chance to see  "Meb" Keflezighi. We reserved a car for 6:30. The Enterprise rental lot closed at 6:00 PM.By the time we got a car we just went to the hotel.

We did the Saturday events. With yours truly signed up for 15K. The last time I was in the event I finished just shy of two hours. The goal was to shave 10 min off. It was 24F the last time I ran outside. The starting temperature in Tampa was unseasonably high and it was humid. 450  warmer than what am used to. Just the way I like it. Additional aid stations were being added.

Prior to the start, the RD repeated warnings about staying hydrated. The event was capped at 7,500. The RD repeated, "Everybody but SteveP...Do not try and PR" "Out of everyone here only SteveP should try and PR". Out of everyone there, I was the only person exempt from the rules. How nice.

The first 1/3 of the event I was on track. I had not planned on hitting every aid station, however, that may have been the only smart thing I did. Lines started forming for the aid stations at mile 4. I'd drink two water or Gatorade and dump one water on my head. Every step was a delight and the volunteers were a delight. By mile 7 I was running out of steam. However, I got 'er done.

15K 1:57:58. I did PR by a minute.  I've had long runs in. I've done speed work. I had lost 15 lbs in the previous three weeks. Was that a bad plan prior to the event? My butt was kicked.

There were barrels of towels soaking in ice water at the finish line. Nothing has ever felt so good. I got a text from DW and my cousin. They weer stuck in traffic. I went back to the expo to pick up their bibs. I see a shortish skinny dude and I asked, "Are you Meb?". It was! He shook my hand and I told him I've been doing this $*!t for 40 years and I thanked him for the level of class he's brought to the sport.

I'm the one in the Batman shirt.

The 5K was capped at 14,000. The last census put the city north of us at a population of 14.624 people. DW took nearly walked her 5K. My cousin, Tracey, bailed after two miles. She's had part of a lung removed and I give her a lot of credit for getting out there. The next morning news paper showed the lady who won the 5K being carried off the course because she collapsed.

Tracey was sick until Thursday. I was cold for two or three days after. I hope to do it again.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm the one in the Batman shirt.

Glad you cleared that up, Steve   Very nice racing--I think I would have been nothing but a puddle.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

SteveP - Sweet!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."