Masters Running

Thirsty Thursday 2/18 Runs and Workouts (Read 449 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Cranium - I could not see the pictures you posted yesterday - just little "x" in a box.   Can you try again?

I think we are going to have to start fining TammyP for posting such warm temps in February!

DH and I went to Applebee's for dinner last night and I tried one of their under 550 calorie meals and it was really good!   I even ate all my vegetables ..... which is really saying something because I am the pickiest eater ever, but I am making myself change my ways one step at a time.

Up and out for 3 miles this morning.   I just was NOT into it at all - but it was a beautiful morning with a clear sky and balmy 31°.   Took many walk breaks just trying to keep the HR down and overall had a 10:45 pace.

Happy Thursday!   

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good morning Mary.

Good for you to change your eating habits.  I'm not very good at that.  I remain an easy mark for caramels and any candy discounted after a holiday.  I get excited when CVS goes from 50% off to 75% off to 90% off!  Of course, by the time it's 90% off, the remaining items are usually pretty bottom of the barrel.

Anyways, 12 miles on the treadmill this morning, whilst watching Wolverine.  Off to the UK on Saturday.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Morning Mary and PBJ and the rest of the gang!

PBJ - nice mileage on the treadmill - have a safe trip!

Mary - which one of the meals did you get?  I used a coupon ($5.50 for the meal), and tried the shrimp skewers  which were excellent.  DH tried the chicken dijon and was a little disappointed with the portion size - he kept ogling my plate which was deceptively filled with rice.  I think the regular price is a little steep (may just be New England prices which tend to be a bit inflated) for the amount of food provided.

dg - foot is improving though not to the point where I think I should run yet.   Thanks for asking!

Another 72 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  I almost got the heart rate up in the 160's but average was 142.   I'm going to have to start doing some long walks on the treadmill to get used to being on my feet for a long time since I suspect my next marathon is going to be a walk/run effort (if I can run at all). 

DH and I are thoroughly enjoying the Olympics, but we are a day behind as we can't stay awake to see most of the real-time coverage.  We watch as much of the recorded previous day events as we can before the nightly coverage starts at 8:00.  We catch bits of the early morning (4:30 AM) coverage and were thrilled to see Lindsey, Shani and Shawn had taken gold medals in their events. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sue - I got the Chicken Dijon and it was plenty for me.   I almost didn't finish it all and gave DH a bite too.   I don't know that it would have been enough to fill him up either - but he thought it looked really good.

Nice workout on the elliptical this morning.

Where is JLynne?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mary, that Chicken Dijon sounded delicious. That's what I need to do...go out and eat portion control. Cause the only portion control in my kitchen is easy on the third helping! 

PBJ - 12 miles on the TM!!!!  Makes me tired just imagining it.

Sue, glad your foot is improving, albeit slowly.  I am LOVING the Olympics, but like you, I can't stay awake. And I have no tivo, but it's all good anyway.  That downhill skiing is my favorite.

Did a nice 5.1 this morning at 5 am in 25 crisp clear degrees.  I was motivated to get out

of bed because:  a.  we had a nice 4 day weekend thanks to snow (nothing like snow days!!)

b.  after running the 4th race in the Tennessee running tour last weekend, (it was a

grueling, hilly, half marathon) I have now moved up to 6th place in my age group

overall.  There are about 30 of us lady senior citizens competing for Senior Grand

Master's champion. 

c.   One more race to go that ends the series above.  It is a hilly, hilly, 15K at another

state park on March 6th.  The director of the series told me that if I can beat the

lady who's currently in 5th I will get a really nice prize at the awards banquet.

So, must get out of bed in the freezing dark more often !!!

Happy Thursday all!

Helen

Stop the food talk.  You're all making me hungry.  (Let's see.  Do I want the yogurt or the granola bar?  Okay, both.)

I've been debating with myself about run/walking a Full marathon next weekend.  That, combined with Boston and Bayshore, would get me Maniac status.  But I think I've talked myself out of it.  I think I'll run the Gasparilla HM next weekend instead and see if I can get myself a nice shiny PR.

4 slow, easy recovery miles this morning at 10:02 pace.  Avg HR 119.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Food again, eh?  Fortunately, I’m enjoying a steaming bowl of steel cut oats as I read this.  Yum. 

Some nice runs today already.

Tammy—you’re risking life and limb by posting here about weather like that.  Around here there’s been remarkably little melting since temps barely creep into the 30s during the day and then drop back down below freezing at night.  We should finally see some 40s in the next few days, though.

Holly—nice to hear your DH may be getting more active.

Speaking of partners, let me brag about mine for a moment.  My DW is doing her first sprint tri next month!  She started running a few years ago, working her way up to half marathons.  She’s not fast but she’s consistent.  Then she started having all sorts of foot problems which sidelined her (long story).  She didn’t quit, though, and did (and is still doing) tons of rehab work and started swimming again (she used to do swim team in high school, was a lifeguard, etc, so it’s really her best sport) with a group.  We’ll, you can see where this is headed…running + swimming with folks who were triathletes.  Yep, last month she announced she was getting a bike.  After research and advice from a local coach she found one (ka-ching!) and now has all the related gear, including the goofy helmet (ka-ching!).  A couple days after she got the bike the snows arrived and it hasn’t seen a road yet!  She does have a trainer for it, though, so it’s now parked in our living room (we have a small house). It's not cheap to get into this (and makes me again appreciate the simplicity of running) but I think it's money well-spent if she sticks with it.  I’m thoroughly impressed with her perseverance through injuries and her fearlessness in jumping in and trying new things.  It’ll be a blast to cheer her on at her first sprint tri next month! 

12-mile MP-ish run for me today @ 7:31.  Surprisingly sproinky for some unknown reason, despite still-messy roads.  ETA: Perch's post reminds me to add: mostly flat course with an untimed break to walk up an icy hill that was too slick to navigate safely.

Be safe. Be kind.

Way to go Mrs. Tramps! You'll have fun cheering and when is your first sprint Tri, Sir?!

10 mellow no watch miles for me at 7:00 am. I could feel yesterday's workout in my legs, but felt better and better as the run went forward. Off to the kiddo's hockey tournament tomorrow where most of his games are at 9:30 or 10:30 PM. I'll be the one snoozing in the stands in my fleece layers.

I stay up way too late watching the Olympics, but it's worth it----what a great medal haul for the U.S.

I knew I liked you PBJ----caramels! I'll even vault over chocolate for those.

Hopeful news about your DH Holly!

Mariposai

Another hurry-up post. Sorry folks. I wish I have more time to comment on the great posts, but this week is pretty tight for me, but the weekend will come....hurray!!!

dg, I will tell you about my ski learning adventures another day, but today I want to give you an assignment for this week: LEARN to safely stop!. It is a must, even if you spend your whole day on the slops doing that!!!

Yesterday at 4:30 am...12 miles with 6x4 blocks at 7:45. Ran the first one at a fast, but controlled speed and I tried to match the rest of them to that speed. I was amazed to be able to finish all six of them at the same speed.

Today: 3 miles at 6:30 am, the sun was up and I could actually see the mountains. It was a glorious morning to be out.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps.. 12 miles at 7:31?  What are you eating these days? Smile

12 for PBJ too.. on a TM.. booooring

BQByll.. AHR 119? What's your resting HR.. 0??

You guys amaze me!

4 miles at 9:49 pace  (AHR 151) the last mile felt almost sproinky so tomorrow should be good. First 2 with Tory and Sadie.

40+9 pushups and 20 min spinning at 110 rpm before the run

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

Because I have no money for fines and am too young to die and need my arms for typing and legs for running, there will be no mention of our temps or lack of cloudcover today.

Congrats to your wife Tramps! Sounds like she is a well-rounded athlete. I'm so envious of those of you who are married to spouses who either are also runners or have their own athletic adventures they enjoy.

After a rest day yesterday, I will get in a run at lunch time today. Probably 4.5 miles or so. Let's see . . .what did I bring in my duffle bag to wear?  . . . my shorts, a short sleeve shirt, shoes. . . yep, that's it .

Tammy

BQByll.. AHR 119? What's your resting HR.. 0??

About 50 or so Steve.  It used to be a lot lower several decades ago.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Holy crap, Byll. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Careful Tammy... that's what I pack in my bag for summertime runs! That's really unfair. Although we're having a very mild week so far and I should've brought my outdoor stuff (would've included tights, LS tech shirt x 2, headband and gloves) but didn't think of it till I was walking into the building from the car and noticed how warm it is out there! I think it's +25° now and I bet we see low 30's today.

Hey Steve, long runs on the treadmill aren't always so bad. I ran 9.1 with half mile repeats last night (details at the end of last night's thread) with no TV, but the end of Solarmix 9 and all of Solarmix 8 to keep me company.

Mariposai... hats off to you for keeping up with your running schedule with the new job. There's no way I'd be up at 4:30 to run 12 miles in the dark. I'm impressed. What are your goals for Wenatchee?

Sue, impressive ellipticalling these days. Anything over an hour is just torture, IMO.

Anyone find that just about anything you eat out at a restaurant is too high in sodium? It doesn't seem to matter what I order or how little of it I eat (I'm a good one for dividing it up for leftovers before I start), I'm always up a couple of pounds with tight rings and fat feet the next day. Maybe it's a circulation problem...

Looking at 4 easy miles today at lunchtime. And because I forgot my outdoor stuff, it'll be on the gym treadmill at lunch. I'd run after work, but gotta go shopping. The kids have cleaned out the fridge. Again.

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, 12 miles at that pace is just outstanding.  Congrats on the progress you have made, and good news about your wife, the bike and her growth too.

Regarding HR, mine is mid-50's resting.  And like Bill's it used to be considerably lower at one time, before uh...  Spareribs

Excellent run, Tramps!  And good luck to your DH.  I'm like Tammy - envious of those who have spouses who participate in some sort of physical activity.  Even if it's just walking.

Byll - The last time I checked my resting HR (which has been awhile), it was around 42.  The Hub asked me if I was dead.

I slept in 'til 7:30 this a.m.  Aaaaaaahhhhh!   Well, sort of slept in.  I didn't crawl out of bed 'til 7:30.

Got all packed last night, double-checked everything, weather is suppose to be fantastic at Hagg Lake, ready to get outta dodge in the a.m.  Woo hoo!

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance