Masters Running

Cold Thursday January 3rd (Read 354 times)

Belated Happy New Year, everyone!

Am really going to try to keep up with all you folks here and post a bit more often.

Stumpy.... I was wondering what it took to delight a tree?

JLynne.... have you considered trying screw shoes? See Rhoon phast's post yesterday.  I used them in my trail shoes for the last couple of seasons, and could run down some of the worst icy slopes confidently and without landing on my tush once.

That said..... I'm not actually running these days..... been battling PF now for over a month, and just made a return appointment with my PT to likely initiate shockwave therapy.   That's what worked the last time I had this, only difference being I suffered it out for almost 4 months before I finally tried it.

Am not sure why this hit me, as I was in serious wind-down mode after the last races of the season, and it had been almost 2 months since the 50K slog-fest.  I've been cross training like crazy, mostly on the spin bike at home, cross-country skiing (and yes, Berthaslayer, also struggling to stay upright Wink), and some pool running.  Swam 1000m this morning.....first real swim workout in almost 2 years.  Something has GOT to start making a dent in the 10 lbs I gained since Sep.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

You either become a good runner or you die.  People I now on the plan are perpetually running on tired legs.  (If I am right, the Hanson brothers are from Michigan.)  They have a lot of success with the elite class of runners with high placings at the big marathons.

Oh I'm totally enamored with the program! I'm not following it because I would most definitely die, but I still think the concepts behind it are fascinating.

4 F here this morning. Glad it was a non running day but I could have easily made the more miles than degrees club.

50 minutes elliptical and 107  push ups in 15 minutes 5 sets  25, 25, 24, 17, 16.

Speaking of the Hanson's the Elites get to travel in this

Have a Great Day!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy.... I was wondering what it took to delight a tree?

Tickle its trunk?Joking

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I ran last night in the freezing cold (it must have been 40 degrees!!) and tonight I will wear more layers.  Big grin

very Sensible Ilene////

{{{heme}}}

=========

30min bike ride..........20's but it was  a DRY 20's............

apparently

nobody but me rides bikes in this weather, didn't see a soul out today

28min PoolRun to Celebrate

................good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Nice 10 mile progressive run at the gym, plus planks - 1:18:45 - 7:53 AVG

8:59 - 8:53 - 8:38 - 8:19 - 7:59 - 7:39 - 7:08 - 6:59 - 6:31 - 7:40

Feeling a little better, hopefully I am on the down side of this cold.

Feeling a little better, hopefully I am on the down side of this cold.

..be sure

and soak your toothbrush

overnight in Listerene

so you don't keep brushing this back into your mouth.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

. . . my eyeballs hurt from the cold!  Odd that there were no other runners/walkers out this morning...

Painful eyeball weather will keep 'em in every time.

TW - Big grin re the Listerine.

I was never able to get myself in an upright position after I fell while on skis.  Very embarrassing, indeed, especially at 18 years old and the cute ski patrol guy comes by, asks if I needed help, and my brother says, "No.  She just can't get up."  Evil

So - - Went to the ortho today.  Doc: “I saw you on the schedule and thought, ‘What’s she doing back here?’” Me: “No offense, but I never wanted to see you again, either.”

Anyway - He thinks the problem might be circulatory.  I’m having nerve issues in the foot, it’s colder than the other foot, and the color doesn’t bounce back as fast when you put pressure on the skin.  There’s a main artery that runs along the top of the foot and takes a dive deep into the foot as heads between the big toe and the next toe.  He thinks that might be part of the problem - maybe it’s getting pinched.

I’m being scheduled for an MRI to rule out the possibility of the beginnings of a stress fracture or bony protrusion pinching the nerves or that main artery.  If nothing shows up on the MRI, he is thinking of referring me to a vascular surgeon.  Also, he has a doctor friend in Mammoth who not only deals with ultrarunners and their foot issues, but is an ultrarunner himself.  Depending on the results of the MRI, he may call and consult with him.  Mammoth’s a 6-hour drive from here, but if Dr. Walter thinks I would benefit from seeing his friend, I will be there lickety split.

As for what I’m allowed to do - basically anything that doesn’t hurt.  If I want to try running, try.  If it hurts, don’t do it.  I asked about still running WS 3-day training camp and Mt. Hood, and he said he doesn’t see either of those being an issue (although he did  hesitate for a micro second re WS).

So I will forego my race plans in Feb/Mar/April (for now), concentrate on finding out exactly what’s going on with my foot, and make WS , Mt. Hood, and (hopefully) Headlands 50 my main goals.  I plan to do some power walking tomorrow to see how things feel before I contemplate running again.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm glad you are getting a handle on your foot problem, Leslie.  Let us know how the MRI turns out.

I whimped out and ran 6 miles on the treadmill.  45:54.  Oh--and I did my plank.

I can't believe this cold, or flu, or whetever it is that is going around.  It's all over the place!  I have had it since Sunday, and I'm really getting tired of it.

Okay--that's it.  I'm off to bed.  See ya!

pfriese

Perfect weather for a run after work, so I extended my planned 5 mile run to 7.4 miles.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

I agree with both of you re the buying of shoes and total miles.  Since moving to a mid-foot strike my shoes last forever.  Unfortunately, the readers are not all in this group so I like to caution people with a heel strike and only a couple of pairs of shoes to consider not wearing the old ones forever. 

I am a mid-striker now as well, but unfortunately seem to be a serious supinator - I wear down the outside of the shoes at the balls of my feet.  While this doesn't seem to hurt my running, it wear my shoes in a way that I think affects my stride at a certain point in the wear, 600 miles or so.

First day back to school for my kids after the break, and I got caught up this morning with getting them up, fed, and back to the routine, so I ended up with only 2 miles on the TM and my lower body weights workout (trying to do these on Thursday so my LR is not affected).  Plus my planks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I can only wear my shoes 300-350 miles max. I think it has a lot to do with the extra weight...But I do not rotate my shoes either...

3.5 easy miles...28 degrees...and got to watch a meteor shower while running this morning...

(((Leslie)))

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

I have two pairs of trail and two pairs of road shoes that I rotate (all Inov8).  I have found I can get more mileage out of the Inov8 than I was ever able to get out of my Mizunos.  Plus, with the wide toe box of the Inov8, I rarely get blisters now.  Yea!!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

though I was supposed to be busy doing other things, I got to watch most of the intercollegiate Hakone ekiken on Jan2 from downtown tokyo to Lake Ashinoko on the other side of Hakone Pass and the other way back down on January 3.  All but 20-30 of the runners had 5KPR:s less than 14:40 and more than half were under 30:00 in the 10K. It took five runners six hours to run up and less to run back down. I watched in awe as they ascended the 12 mile climb up to Hakone Pass that gave me at that time in the summer of 2009 a then PR of 8hr/45min when I signed up for a marathon on the last 26.2 miles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

Swam a mile...felt like a drowning rat only part of the time...