Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 4.29.14 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' friends.

I'm thinking of Ribs today, and hoping he has a successful, problem-free surgery, and a quick recovery.

I also like Ribs' newspaper article. I learned yesterday that the founder/CEO of Foresquare was one of the people who created a fake Boston bib for his wife. He apparently did it at Kinkos after he picked up his own bib on Friday before the race, and was showing off the fake bib to friends. Shameful.

I imagine that Aamos practicing her slow pace would still leave me way, way back in her dust...  Never heard of cold cereal as a "guilty pleasure" before.

Nice windy wun, Tselbes.

Congrats and best wishes on your retirement, Byllie! I hope it is a most cheerful time for you. I'm sorry that registering for Chicago led to a hammy problem, and I hope it doesn't become a big deal and heals quickly .

I'm sorry your winter weather is sticking around so long, WC. I can't imagine a pessimist running an ultra - they'd quit before they started because of what they'd see as the daunting effort ahead of them...

Henrun, you certainly do personify optimism, regardless of the length of your races.

Lunchtime 10Ks are impressive, C-R!

Jlynne, the difference between getting up for work or for a workout at J o'clock is all mental. You've got to get excited about the day ahead of you! But let's have no more excitement like you had yesterday, OK?

Tet, you are such a bully! (Makes me laugh to even think that thought...)

Funny guy, Steve!

When are you moving to Austin, Twocat??

Deeze, it would have so made my day to have seen you in N. Andover! My loss - but I'm sure our paths will cross again. (Maybe at the Big Lake Half in Alton Bay, NH on the 10th?)

Mike, some people work very hard to not let me pass them, but I can usually out-last them. Do I feel sorry for them? Um, no. Excellent wind-play last night!

Nice wind & terrain management for you too, Evanflein. Looks like you'll be so ready for your 5K on Saturday, except for the training part...

I had intentions of a good workout this morning, and set my sites on a 5-mi. route. But once I got out there, I found Iwas still a smidge achy from Sunday's race, and my right foot was giving me a lot of grief for being out there. So I pulled a paper bag low over my head and gently walked back home for a total of just under 3 miles. So it goes.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay///......Weird Visual with the Bag over Your Head........

.GoodWishes to ribbs.........

========

...32mprnb

deo

.................good running guys.................even Cyber-Tet......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all!

Here's to Bill, who has decided to do some contract consulting after all. I am very happy about this.  Keeps you sharp.  Congrats.

Well, I'm off to the OR and as prepped as I can be.  Magnesium citrate was not a lot of fun, but that's in the past now. At least a day in the hospital will protect me from Tet's cyber bullying.

Going to have some fun with the surgeon about the Foley catheter and bag, with the claim that I've made my own and don't have to pay for the one the hospital wants to give me.  Check out this one:

Spareribs

Mariposai

Don't you just love Spareribs' sense of humor? I started my day sending my prayer to the heaven for a successful surgery and recovery.

We love you Spareribs.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

I'm thinking of Ribs today, and hoping he has a successful, problem-free surgery, and a quick recovery.

Agreed.

Nice pic ribs.

Cyber-tet. Sounds like one of those futuristic movies like Blade Runner or Star Trek. Hmmm.

Got a nice 7 1/4+ tempo run at lunch. Very windy and warm but I will take that over the frigid snow covered tundra from this winter.

DS 1 has a track meet tonight. 2400 and looking to break 8:35. Should be fun.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

no particular reason ribs but could you get a couple of those

for wildchild, holly and mikeE, especially ziggie too..

Maybe one for me too if you can arrange it before the Pigtails 100 over Memorial Day.

Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Hope all goes good for you Ribs.  I'm glad you're prepared.  I am going to pass on your idea to some of the staff at my place.  Part of our mission statement is to "lower healthcare costs for our clients."

Boy, too bad the Pigtails 100 is over Memorial Day weekend.  I am going to have to work.  Which reminds me, I need to have Ilene take me off the Buffalo half marathon.  Right now, I don't want to train for or run a half anyway.  I am going to keep to the Maffetone low heart rate stuff until the end of June.  I've been making steady improvements in my running and continue to lose weight.  Only down side is not meeting Mike.

The local news did everything but tell people to build an ark for all the rain, but it stopped mid-morning and got sunny, so I made it out for a dry 5.22 miles.

Back when my heart went crazy in March I had been up (and highly stressed) for over 30 hours when I saw the doctor.  I don't remember what I said (it must have been interesting), but she said I ought to go see a counselor/therapist for my anxiety.   I thought I was a pretty laid-back person, but I figured, what the heck, it can't hurt, and I called one of the names on their recommended list.  It's been interesting and helpful.  The guy had me read a book called "Feeling Good" which talks about a lot of stuff, but near the end was a chapter called, "Dare to be Average" which talked about perfectionism and gave 15 ways to work on that.

The one item out of those 15 that really helped was the idea of having "process" goals rather than "outcome" goals.  So instead of working in stress all day long to finish a certain task, I have a goal to spend a certain number of hours on the task.  Meeting the time goal is an easier target and I have a successful day even if the task isn't completed.  I get just as much done (if not more), I am more relaxed, and more "successful".  When I start a complicated program I don't know what I may run into that I didn't expect or plan for, and so how long it takes isn't always known up front.  If the goal is to finish it within a certain amount of time, I can "fail" at my goals quite a lot.

I was telling Cindy about process goals and she said she uses that concept with her weight loss.  She has been using MyFitnessPal for months and has lost something like 40 pounds.  Now that the rate of loss has really slowed down for her, she said it is important to have goals of what to do and not on how much she loses.  Otherwise she said it gets depressing.

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - but do your shoes match?    Sending well-wishes and hugs your way.

Dave - points to ponder.  Maybe I will get that book.

7 easy-paced miles for me this morning in a misty 62 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm thinking that with Ribs' sense of humor, we need to pray for the medical staff.

I need to go back and look - Is Tet running Pigtails??  I looked at that as a first 100, but I think the loops would derail me, so I've set my sights on Mt. Lakes 100.

Dave - I'm glad the therapist and the recommended book are working for you.  Sometimes it takes more than just ourselves to figure out life.  I've seen a therapist a couple of times for an extended period.  She was my life raft in some very stormy seas.

Cold cereal is a guilty pleasure for me now, too, Aamos.  I haven't had any in two months.

Jay - Channeling your inner Unknown Comic?

Did somebody say "pessimist" and "ultra runner" in the same sentence?  Is it even possible to be both??

I took yesterday off from work as a mental health day.  I rarely ever get sick, so it's something I do a couple of times a year.  I was tired from the previous 3 days' running (47 miles for the week/36 on the weekend) and the non-stop six weeks of transcription, and just needed some "Me" time.  Shorty was working all day, so I spent the day doing some much needed house and yard cleaning and laundry. It actually ended up being very relaxing, and I rather enjoyed myself.  Plus, Carolyn won't be shocked and horrified (hopefully) when she walks into my house on Saturday!

Today was 7 predawn miles with 3x1 mile tempo runs.  I was VERY pleasantly surprised to see that I pulled out 8:46 / 8:50 / 8:37.  I don't think I could sustain any of those for an extended period of time, but I felt more in control of the second one than the other two.  The marathon this upcoming weekend is my excuse for another cutback week.  Yee haw!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Boy, too bad the Pigtails 100 is over Memorial Day weekend.  I am going to have to work.

Right now, I don't want to train for or run a half anyway. 

. . .

"Uhmm, who said anything about training?

ps leslie - I already told ilene so I hope it works out.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Dave--I was wondering if your were going to have drop out of the Buffalo Half.  You've had a tough stretch, but it sounds like you're getting back on track...that's the important thing.  But, dang--I was looking forward to meeting you.

Oh--guess what it's doing here?  Yep...snowing.  It's not accumulating, or anything...and it's mostly rain...but snow is falling.

No run for me tonight.  I lifted a little bit but not real hard.  I think I'll take it easy...and watch the snow fall...and listen to my sump pump kick on every 2 minutes.

Okay--I'll leave you guys alone.  See ya!

I'm sorry, maybe I am a masochist, but when Mike E said it was snowing, I started to LOL!!!

I wanted to run tonight after work, but with it being over 70F, I decided to set my alarm for tomorrow.  When it should be more like 50F, with no blinding, roasting sun.

YES, very looking forward to Ave. of the Giants!!!  Trained or not!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hi everyone,

Ribbs, Hope all goes well!!!!......great vibes to you...

Good to see everyone doing well and congrats to the Boston Marathoners on their fantastic accomplishments. Maybe one day in the future again for me.

Two great runs in a row for me! It's been a long time since I have felt this good. Over 5 years ago.!!! so maybe a race soon...Tons of rust and the big guy is scared, after all the injuries and all this rust. LOL

Take it easy every one and I will try to drop in more often

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

I hope for a quick recovery for you Ribs. I know that MrStarr was laid low for a while when he had his surgery two years ago, but you are in such great shape.

Jay, great job on your race, you truly amaze me with your racewalking. Dave, your training is smart and the results are definitely worth it for you. Thanks for sharing that book and the goals idea. I will put that book on my wish list. Congrats to Cindy on the weight loss, and you too.

Well, Mike, it is still raining here with 80% chance of rain tomorrow and maybe snow too. Sorry about the rain dance, but there was now snow involved, promise. It has been a melancholy day for me since it has been one year since mom passed away. When I got home from the Y there was a message on the machine from my best girlfriend in Colorado. I have known her for 54 years and we have been there for each other through thick and thin. Gotta get in a comfy chair and call her back.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm sorry, maybe I am a masochist, but when Mike E said it was snowing, I started to LOL!!!

Nice, enke...real nice...

Hi Tall...are you sure you want to come back here and hang out with a bunch of masochists and pessimists?