Masters Running

Monday Fun on 10/1 (Read 38 times)

SteveP

Dave59, take it easy on the knee.

Spacityrunner is going to the dogs after a high 5.

Bioguy gets three then hunkers down for the kiddos. Thanks for teaching.

KSArunner getting hot a sweaty for three.

Coastwalker being an outstanding host before a pleasing 10K.

Henrun enjoys the changing of the seasons while knocking out 4.

Falconfixer turns up the heat for 8.5 then crosses a fit for an additional 16+.

Tetsujin209 frolics on the beach after going all cycle on us. Don't ever leave us unsupervised again.

Tramps stomping a cool 40 miles.

Quickadder + DD = 9.3 in my version of IRC.

Buehrle - again, I respectfully disagree. If were to have a productive society, we should make accommodations for each ability or disability encouraging people to reach for their fullest potential. Tip toeing because we're concerned of how a guy or gal might respond isn't OK. Any variation of "You're out of line" is something we all need to hear once in a while. Fear that a person will grab a fire arm and go postal also needs to be addressed.

HollyS strolling along for 5.1. The school's response is similar to, "Well, you probably should not have worn a skirt that short". Whatever happened to the stand up to bullies campaign just a year or two ago?

MikeE tucking 8 away and wondering "What's Next?".

TammyinGP escalates into a sweet 15 miler in picture perfect conditions.

Joe618 with a pleasant 5 before becoming an arm chair ump and coach with the beloved Cubbies.

TwoCat celebrating a very memorial day with our beloved butterfly lady.

Surly Bill getting his partner in crime of the dreadmill. Very kewl.

Rest-day. DW and I spent the day getting or equipment rotated and ready for the transitions on the seasons. Un-bury the snow thrower, store the kayaks. Gear the mowers and tillers for one last trip of the year.

SteveP

Mariposai

Good morning dear friends and happy first day of October.  After a fun week with the Twocats I am boarding the plane right now to go back home.  My time with them gave me a much needed get away time and provided my DH and I with the opportunity to nurture the twocats for a little bit.

On the running front,  I was able to hit my first 40 miler in months. This is marathon week for me, so taper time, here I come.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Mike--I did Lower Potomac a couple of times.  It's a small (but well-organized) race so maybe they don't get rolling on website, etc. until later.  I assume you checked out the club site.  Also, I don't know if he's still active here but AmoresPerros lives nearby and I think was active in the club, too. You might try sending him a message.

I'm looking forward to October weather. Sunny today but mild and very humid this morning; doesn't feel like Fall yet.

5 miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Rest day today, so I forsook the beautiful fall weather for indoor cycling and weights. Shortly we’re off to our 65+ runners club annual luncheon. The speaker will be Amby Burfoot, the 1968 Boston Marathon winner and journalist. Looking forward to his talk and seeing a lot of the members from all over New England.

Good morning good people. Thanks for starting us off Steve, and thanks for the recap. A lot of thoughtful insight on bullying/mental health problems with school age kids. I worked at one of our local high schools for 8 years doing attendance. I've seen the best - and the worst - of kids interacting with one another. Some of the "popular" kids (especially girls) could be downright cruel to others that didn't go to the parties, weren't on any of the athletic teams or went to the dances or other school-sponsored activities. It broke my heart to see some of those students just fade into the woodwork, afraid to speak out for themselves or get involved for fear of being harassed or made fun of. High school is a tough time for a lot of kids, especially the ones who "don't fit in". I hope that Holly can just keep the lines of communication open with her DD. That's half the battle I think. Your children need to know they can come to you (or other adults they trust) when they have problems.

It sounds like Mariposai had a great visit with Twocat and his DW. Safe travels home!

How cool to listen to Amby Burfoot Henry. Hope your back is doing ok.

It's definitely fall here Tramps. We went to the Packer game yesterday. The temperature was 48°  The game announcer said that this was the second coldest game in September in Packer history. We had some very inebriated Buffalo fans sitting behind us. The guy left before the first quarter was over and never came back. His girlfriend lasted until halftime, though she "fell asleep" a few times before she left. I hope their hotel was close by

5.62 miles in damp 48° with gray skies and not much wind. It's supposed to rain later. And probably every day this week. Yuck.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Re: that Sandhills Marathon - I looked at the pictures and thought, wow, there's no cover at all....what if I need to make an emergency pit-stop?  No bushes, or patches of trees.  Those kind of races scare me a little....

No run for me until Wednesday, so I went to the grocery before work instead, since the lettuce for my planned lunch salad was rotten.  I will hopefully do some weights or take a walk after work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Well- it's good I was proactive and went for the MRI (I was really questioning myself on whether it was necessary). I have a stress reaction and bone bruise, but I caught it before it fractured. At least 2 more weeks in the boot and only elliptical and whatever else I can figure out that doesn't stress it more, which is almost nothing. I'm a combination of pissed and relieved (it would have been a lot longer if it had fractured). Probably takes me out of the Monkey, but we'll see. The doctor (he's actually a PA and he's 12) said he knows this won't work for me, but they advise waiting 2 weeks after you are pain free and out of the boot to actually run. He didn't tell me I can't. I'll be careful.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Cripes, I'm gone for 10+ days and all kinds of things seem to have happened in here! I'm back from vacay and sort of ready to settle down and get to it.  We got home Saturday, and yesterday morning discovered a leak in the pipes under the sink/in the wall, so we have no water until a plumber can come, hopefully today, and assess the situation.  They're going to have to tear out the wall under the sink, but I hope not on the outside of the house, as well.  And I hope if nothing else they can at least cap off the leaking pipe until it can be fixed so we can turn the water back on.  We have a shower at work so I showered here this morning, but No Water = No Toilet Facilities = Not Fun.

I need to skim back through and see what I missed.  Something about bullying, which I had my fair share of in Jr. High and then some in college.  It sucked.

We got in a few walks on our trip, but vacations with The Hub means a LOT of driving.  . . . yay . . . so not really any workouts of any substance.  Today is a new day, though, and a new month, and I managed about 30 min of core/ST this morning.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Morning friends!!

Worked 12 hours Friday/16 hours Saturday and bartered for a late start Sunday which was perfect and made for a fast 8 hour shift!!

Going in for 11am Sunday was great because it gave me time to sleep in a little, get to 7:30 mass and come home to have breakfast with my MIL before heading to work!!

Today - 45 min spin class, 3.6 mile run/walk with a 5:1 ratio, strength and core work followed!!

So awesome for the Posai's and Twocat's to have that time together!!

Need to read back and catch up on the weekend happenings, but need to shower and take MIL out for errands - she likes to get out of the house frequently so we've all been taking turns -- she even went fishing with one of my sons Friday and caught a fish!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

5/2/5 - I don't know what's got into me but, except for the time I went running for seven days in a row while living in Tokyo in the eighties just to be able to say I ran every day of the week, did second straight day of lakeside bike/run/bike duathlon. Maybe i'm training for the Seattle Marathon or something.

Just when I was getting over having to read about lobsters, claims, etc., Posie makes 2K a chocolate-raspberry just as I'm getting to really like the GM Diet's fruit bowls of blueberries, blackberries, cut-up strawberries and kiwis, apples, etc.  At least they didn't post any pictures. Thank you.

Henry - about 12 years ago our running barefoot group has some correspondence with Burfoot as he was about to break Barefoot Charlie Robbins' some 50 years of Manchester Road Races.  Google him and "Manchester Road Race" for some interesting articles on age-adjusted times over the decades.

Good luck KSA.  Any worse and you'll warrant a Posie visit too.

Lots of good thoughts to Holly's DD.  Good luck.

Although I taught the kids to stand up to bullies,

it sure doesn't include road-ragers, mentals, etc.,

especially when there's no one around to help and witness.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

. . . Posie makes 2K a chocolate-raspberry . . . At least they didn't post any pictures. Thank you.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

...mornin'........

mid 80s

60-min HH at soccerfields

1-3s

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

IT'S RAINING!!!

goldbergs GIF by Nick At Nite

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Be careful what you all ask for. I believe that there are pictures somewhere!

My workout today was a PT session. For this week the "advance" was that my leg was passively bent 50°. That is 10 additional degrees from last week. At this rate I will be to sit in only say another month or so!  Better than not having a hamstring and hip attached to each other.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

Henry - about 12 years ago our running barefoot group has some correspondence with Burfoot as he was about to break Barefoot Charlie Robbins' some 50 years of Manchester Road Races.  Google him and "Manchester Road Race" for some interesting articles on age-adjusted times over the decades.

Tet- we just got back from our luncheon and Amby was a very entertaining speaker. Included in his talk was the Charlie Robbins reference you mentioned.Small world!