Masters Running

Tue April Fools (Read 662 times)

Three mile recovery run for me to start my running week -- no foolin', about 9 min/mile, 135 AHR. Have a great day today.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning! Thanks for starting us WRFB. It appears the house deal fell through. We offered to put in a high-efficiency furnace and fix the radon problem, but their list of wants beyond that (including $2,200 for roofing material) was more than we are willing to give, especially considering we set our bottom-dollar price with them before we knew they expected us to put another $7,000 into the house. (Ha! As if we even had that kind of money.) And the roof still has 2-3 years left in it, so I don’t know why we need to fix it right now anyway – there are no leaks. It’s just as well, though. Now maybe we can make the repairs one at a time, and then put the house back on the market for a higher price, and at least recoup some of our loss. I suppose this means we lose the house we’re buying as well, but another one will come along. It’s early in the season. SteveP – excellent news! Spareribs – hope you’re out of the doghouse… 6.15 slow and gentle heart-cleansing-kind-of miles today in a wet and windy and exhilarating 54 degrees. The legs are still a bit tired from Sunday’s run, but happily nothing hurts, and only one purple toenail. Life is good. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

26 mi at MP this morning...

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

... oh.. April Fools Big grin (ok, it's early..) 8.2 mi in 1:08:16 (8:20, AHR 157) skipped strides, lead legs. First 2.2 mi with Tory. Mu glasses kept fogging up as I passed through cooler and then warm muggy air. This is a dead leg day. Two days after a hard workout my legs often feel like lead (right, Holly?).. This may be a form of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) without the soreness.. just lack of power. That is why it is better (for me) to do speed work on Wednesday following a Sunday hard long run and then another hard effort on Thursday. You can sneak in 2 hard efforts before DOMS sets in. In fact the second hard efort usually feels great becasue the blood volume is high from the day before workout. Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good attitude about the house deal, Holly. Everything will work out for the best. You're right, Perch. Unfortunately, my planned 6 mile GA run got derailed by an early morning call from Work. So no run for me this morning. (No Really! No April Fool's joke there. I wish ...) I may try to squeeze the run in after work ... Don't forget that the March Monthly Miles thread is out there for anyone who may have missed it. Did y'all notice the Boston picture Divechief posted in there? Uncanny! Almost the exact same picture I posted at the top. Unreal. What a strange coincidence. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning all! Perch, you had me there for a second! We did tell the kiddo he had a snow day this morning and he paused for a nanosecond and then got the joke. It's actually already 54F here (rainy) and on the way to 70F today. Holly, you have the right attitude about the house and the running. Lead with your heart and the pace and the right house will be yours. I am sorry you had to go through the hoops of all those inspections though. I am convinced that a better deal on both ends will come your way. Hang in there. Hugs to you. I was worried about DOMS today, but have to fly out tomorrow at zero dark thirty, so TTR day is today (tempo torture run----Hi breger!) 12.4 miles with 2x 25 mins. and 5 minutes rest. The speed sections are decreasing in quantity, but not intensity. In fact Coach said try to maintain the wu and rest and cd at close to general run pace. Whew. I went out at 5:15 AM, just overcast and 50F.....shorts and short sleeves! Yee haw! The whole deal came in at 1:41:35 (8:12 pace) with the speedy parts at 7:43 and 7:40. No beagles or numbers painted on the road. Lots of birds twittering and various creatures roaming about. I wasn't really that sore---tired to be sure---but pretty recovered, so that's cool. Good days to all.. CNYrunner
                CNY, Inquiring minds want to know. I'd really like to understand the paces you're running those TTR's at. You say you ran the fast parts today at 7:43 and 7:40 pace. That is just a few seconds faster than the fast end of my tempo pace range (7:44 to 8:04). Clearly, you are much faster than me. I assume this the "slow" end of your tempo pace range? Or do you run these at just a bit slower than your tempo range? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Perch - you had me there!! Shocked Holly - it sounds like you have the right attitude with the house deal. Sorry it all fell through - but it probably wasn't meant to be. Unscheduled rest day for me. I laid out my stuff last night, went to bed, and then they started flashing news about a high wind warning starting at 2 a.m. until 5 p.m. today. SO, I rolled over, turned off the alarm and went to sleep. I really need to do a cut-back week, so I think this will be it. I've been putting in some pretty good mileage for me, and I think the body might like a little break - as I do NOT want to get injured. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Great question Bill, Right now "tempo" for me is 7:40-7:45 range and when I do these repeat tempo workouts, the goal is to try and maintain that pace and with control. I am known to set down paces that are all over the map and when I got back in touch with my college coach, she said she would help as long as I focused on even pacing and staying in the range. Today's workout made me happy because I stayed in range and didn't go way faster or much slower. Tempo is described in various ways by all the experts, but for me, tempo is faster than marathon pace and slower than half-marathon pace. In the earlier part of the training cycle I tried one of these workouts and my paces were all over the map. The phone rang soon after I posted in the log my coach reviews and she pulled me back before I tried this again. This is a stamina workout (I think Spareribs said that as well) and allows me to feel pace. I am a gadget head in my work life and a luddite in my running life---so feeling the pace is essential for me. Depending on what happens at Boston and what my schedule can bear, coach and I will work at driving down tempo pace to 7:35-7:40 as I focus on half-marathons this summer and fall. Hope that helps. Your workouts are looking good by the way and those times are coming down. Good stuff. Karin
                      Good morning, all! Holly - sorry about the house, but I'll bet things will work out better for you in the long run. Other than the wind and rain, it's a great morning here with temps in the 50's. The peepers were out in full force this morning. 6 miles on the treadmill this AM. My legs were dead yesterday after a full weekend. Jesse and I walked for 2 hours on the trail on Saturday. I did 15 miles at MP on the track on Sunday followed by another hour and a half walk with Jesse. We were both pooped Sunday evening. My group at work yesterday had a "tailgate" party in the afternoon which included a chili cookoff. My chili took the best overall award which netted me a gift certificate to Dick's Sporting Goods. As the winners were being announced, a sound like a gunshot occurred below our floor - I felt the vibration in my feet. We had to evacuate to the first floor - there was some concern about whether or not the floor in the second floor atrium could handle over 200 people at once. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Breeger.. I think the descrepancy in tempo pace is Pfitzinger's fault Big grin His plans clearly state LT (tempo) runs are 15K to 1/2 marathon pace. CNY is right on about using a pace that allows control and consistency. For 4-5 miles surely you can control a 1/2M pace. This is all splitting hairs and either pace range is effective.. just look how well CNYrunner runs! ... but... if they really are lactate threshold runs you want your HR to be near the lactate threshold. Assuming your MP is just below LT then any pace faster should be in/above the LT. You want some lactate accumulation so your body repsonds but not so much it delays recovery. So I guess you have to experiment. my 2 cents

btb1490

Morning, fools! Er... I mean masters! I'm hoping Mr. Ribs checks in and gives us a history behind April Fool's Day. from yesterday... eliz- good thing you missed the rain yesterday. We wouldn't want you melting on us. Thanks for the healing vibes, and if you do get to read the posts today, happy fools' day to you! biketm- thanks for checking in, and I'm glad you are back on track with your running! JJJ- rest day? What are you tired from? Wink from today... WRFB- time to start resting that body for the task at hand in 3 weeks! Holly- rats! I'm sorry for the crap you are dealing with. I was thinking of you over the weekend, watching "House Hunters" and some other show about making your house more marketable on HGTV. It may be worth your while to get someone who can come to you house and tell you where to put your money to get the most bang for your buck. Continued well wishes to you. It'll be great when all this is behind you. Take it easy this week PLEASE! Your run over the weekend, plus stress, equals a weakend immune system. perch- if you can do 26 miles at MP in training, doing 26.2 at that pace in a race should be doable for sure. breger- it's only fair that work should let you sneak your run in today since they deprived you of it this AM. I'll bet you were hoping that the call was an April Fools' joke. CNY- you did THAT workout right after a race??? I bow to thee! I'll bet the shorts and short sleeves felt wonderful! Awesome run, as always! Well done! hopeful4ever- your morning sounded great! It's nice to be able to do that once in a while. Good call. SueT- Nice running, and hiking, this weekend. Congrats on your chili victory! I think we'll need a recipe posted, or is it a secret? Funny that the award was a gift certificate to Dick's, so you can go get some stuff to work off the chili I suppose. That's wild about the 2nd floor not being able to handle all those people, especially people with their bellies full of chili! After my needle appointment yesterday, I hit the gym to try the elliptical out to see if it would be ok on my ankle tendon, and it was doable, so I put in a half hour on that, followed by some stretching. My ankle looks like a giant marshmallow, all puffy. When I look at it, I can't help but to think of S'mores. Yumm! On the way out of the gym, someone commented that I had awesome legs. Unfortunately the comment came from a 70+ year old man. Sigh. I'll take it though, compliments are few and far between these days! Nice guy, I stopped and chatted with him for a bit, it's great to see people still active at that age. This morning I hit the gym again for another 1.5 hours on the elliptical. Man was it hot in there. By the end of the workout, the foot pods that you rest your feet in were filled with sweat and sloshing around. Capped it off with some more stretching. No compliments today. Last time I had this injury, I was put in an air cast. I think it's time to break it out again. Podiatry appointment later today to get my shiny new orthotics. Yay! Life's little pleasures. I'll leave you today with what is probably one of my favorite Pooh quotes. “It gets you nowhere if the other person's tail is only just in sight for the second half of the conversation.” Have a great day, master friends! Smile
                          Tramps

Good morning. Thanks for all the greetings yesterday. Smile Too much going no to comment on all of it but I do skim through the daily. I do have to give a "hang in there" nod to Bob; sorry about the injury. Oh, also, JJJ, I wondered if you were doing the race this year. Good for you! Drenching rain this morning so I opted for a good long stretching session with some core work. I thought Google had a very funny April Fool's joke today. It shows up as a "new feature" in Gmail. I think this link will work: http://mail.google.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

In the race reports there is a must read of frowzy's ING Georgia Marathon, missing BQ by 1 sec. But his improvement and analyses are valuable reading for all of us. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/bdd97f3c72e142bcb2ad50698e7c42be

up early, 1/2 hour stretching followed by core workout 5 mile shakeout run then 12 miles with 12x800M hard intervals, 12x200M fast/alt with 12x200jog followed by long cooldown 5 mile shakeout run after the workout more later.... ha Happy April Fools Day! (No running for me-again) Hope the wounded are healing well...