Masters Running

40s+/50s+ On the Run (w/e 06/13/09) (Read 525 times)

"The greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do."  (Walter Bagehot)

9.25 trail miles this a.m.  Was pretty tired after the 18.20 yesterday, but it had to be done.  Karen had a function she had to attend, so I stopped by and picked up Charlie Dog.  He loves going on these runs.  The time he has ever had difficulty keeping up was when she did a 24-miler one day and 10 the next.  He pooped out halfway through the 10.  The vet told her how to safely give him more nutrition during the really long runs, and now he does great.  Ears and tongue flopping all over the place, big grin on his face.  He LOVES running trails! does great.  Ears and tongue flopping all over the place, big grin on his face.  He LOVES running trails!

After the run, my dad came up and we went clothes shopping for him for my niece's wedding next weekend.  Came away with 6 pairs of pants, one shirt, a belt, and Justin Roper boots.  He's going to wear a brand new pair of black Wranglers, his boots, a beautiful red shirt, and his black cowboy hat. He put on a pair of Wrangles and they were so baggy in the legs it was ridiculous.  Luckily, the young lady working there came over with a pair slim fit and ta da!  That was the ticket.  Looking good!  Know any wimmin in their 60s or so who need a companion?? I'm always looking for him.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Nice quote Leslie and thanks for getting us going......

27 + mile weekend for you! Not too shabby! 

That's great that Charlie can go so far! Buddy has been consistent, but I have to swim him regularly if the temps are over 70 or so. He lets me know when he's hot.  Nothing like the smile on a dog's face when they're runnin' in the woods! How old is he ? Is he a lab? Good job fixin' up your Pop with new Duds. I'm sure he looks good and appreciates your help.

Set out for an 18miler today. Totally blew off my lawn mowing duties yesterday but still bonked out at 15m.  A humid 81* day was to blame this time.Being the genius that I am, I chose the middle and hottest part of the day to run. I had forgotten how much that H+H saps the energy out of me, whew. Oh well, looks like summer's here and time for me to drag my a$$ up outta bed early again for my Sunday long runs! 

That's great that Charlie can go so far! Buddy has been consistent, but I have to swim him regularly if the temps are over 70 or so. He lets me know when he's hot.  Nothing like the smile on a dog's face when they're runnin' in the woods! How old is he ? Is he a lab?

Yes, Charlie's a black lab.  I think about 2 yo now.  He doesn't eat before we run.  Something about them having intestinal difficulties if they run on a full stomach.   About halfway through a long run when we go back to the car to get more fluids/food, she gives him a certain amount of a liquid called "Go Dog" - it's a powder that's mixed with water - and a handful of easily digestable doggie treats.  And then he gets his breakfast when we're done.  If need be, she can give him half his regular food at least 2 hours before running.  Other than that, we're blessed with having lots of little water run-off areas where he can get water and cool his tootsies.  We also don't get anywhere near the H&H you guys do, although yesterday and today felt humid for this area.

Running in humidity.  Yuck!  I'm wincing just thinking about the heat I'll have to run in next weekend when we go east for my niece's wedding.  20 miles in unknown territory.  Told my dad I want him to go with me to find the trail head on Friday so he'll know where to come look for me on Saturday if I don't return to the hotel before the wedding!  Thankfully, it's at 5:00, so I should be able to get a good nap in after the run.  Need to make sure I'm well rested since I'm singing in it.  "At Last," which is nice and short.  Nothing worse than having to sit - or for that matter, the bride and groom having to stand - through 5 or more minutes of someone warbling away at a song that never sounds as good as it does on the CD!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Drizzly 10 today in unseasonably cool temps for June. Nice for running and wheat not so nice for corn but its turn will come later in July's heat. Run went pretty well 8 miles to town then some loops around in town, even made a lap on the HS soft track.  Came home and took a hot shower to warm up then took dad out to eat.

On the mowing front Lynda spent 5 hours yesterday catching us up as I finished the first corn spraying. I have 20 loads of corn going out this month so far and a short haul so won't take too long. Neighbor will run most of them. I will start hauling fertilizer tommorow to the corn pivots to inject in the irrigation water. Still have to get my broken planter out of the field. Signed papers on a new grain bin purchase so have site prep work for that, don't know when they will start on it.

Wow big mileage weekend Leslie. Cool you got your dad all fixed up. Wranglers and ropers thats my style too!

Joe if you would have had our weather you woulda gone 20 instead of the planned 18  Ooh a humid 81 is tuff run weather!!

Cindy have a fun trip. I think those V2 storm chasers should get outa here, we went out to supper with one of my farmer friends and wife and kept watching the radar as storms hit the northern part of the county where he has some fields and listening to a scanner of those firemen on storm watch.

Ev hope you had some more of those good kind of runs like the one last week.

unfortunately my sprayer is red, wish it was green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfmU3-CKrXU

Arla any pics of your gardens etc? Hope your mom is doing well.

Hi to Carol, Jewels.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Jim - How fast'r you going in that thing?  Looks like it's hauling butt.  Next time you have the camera handy, turn it around and give us a big grin!!

(Okay - I have to stay off this site and get my transcription done!)

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good Monday morning to everyone!

Wow, Leslie, you definitly got some miles in this weekend!  Good for you for taking the pup.  Big dogs can get in trouble with their stomach/intestines twisting up after a large meal...betting that's what your friend is guarding against.  Now we're going to need to see some pics from the wedding of you and your dad all gussied up.

Joe, I hear you on the H&H.  Definitely time to shift to earlier in the day.  Still you got in 15 and avoided the yard work, so all was not lost Smile

Jim, what IS the speed limit in those fields?  Does look like you might have a lead foot on that thing.  And I  thought I was doing so well to get out on Sat morning with my little spray bottle of Roundup to kill the weeds in the flower beds, LOL!

Nice run with my friend on Friday.  She was on the verge of being late for the dedication of a new police/fireman's memorial in Ft. Worth, so it turned into a progression run.  4 miles 'till I cried uncle and sent her on her way home while I walked a mile cooldown.  Shorter run this morning so I could get back home in time to fix breakfast for the hubby.  Seems I have somehow played a role in inspiring a few other people to run -- two gals at church, a neighbor, etc.  I think they look at me and say...hey, if she can do it, so can I, which is cool and humbling at the same time.  And the new gizmo is really revealing some things about my blood sugar control...especially overnight.  Finding out dinner is not hitting my system 'till several hours later.  So I go to bed looking OK, but wake up high (blood sugar, not drugs...oh...you know what I mean Wink.  Eating an earlier dinner that is lower in fat helps, as does cutting out nightime snacking.  Those things are a no brainer as far as beeing better choices, but now it's hard to ignore with the data smacking me in the face! 

Howdy to Cindy, Jewels, Arla, and whoever else might be around.

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Jim - How fast'r you going in that thing?  Looks like it's hauling butt.  Next time you have the camera handy, turn it around and give us a big grin!!

(Okay - I have to stay off this site and get my transcription done!)

That was in april and I was running fertilizer on small wheat with the auto-steer in wide open fields so I was haulin' pretty good about 14.5-15 mph. My auto-steer isn't quite good enough to run between the corn rows and I have to drive it so then I am down around 10 mph. The gps device also turns the 5 sections of the 90 foot boom on and off automatically mimimizing skips and overlap. The green ones will auto-steer down the rows.

Really had the restless legs after my long run yesterday but feel ok today. Will try to get in a  2 miler recovery late in the day.

MTA

Carol we must have been posting at the same time. Congrats on inspiring others to run. Looks like you are getting some good usefull data from that device that allows you to figure some things out.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Eating an earlier dinner that is lower in fat helps, as does cutting out nightime snacking.  Those things are a no brainer as far as beeing better choices, but now it's hard to ignore with the data smacking me in the face! 

Doggone those little gizmos!  Glad it's working out for you, Carol, but hope the slap in the face didn't leave any distinguishable marks.

Jim - Hope the restless legs settled down.  Is that kind of creepy feeling where it feels like you can keep them still and you have to stretch and move around a lot?  I hate that.

Rest day for me.  It was nice to sleep in until almost 7:00 - almost.  The cats . . .  

Have a great week, folks ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey 40s and 50s  30s!  Nice running going on. 

Leslie gettin' in a big weekend, Joe, your 15 in H&H will help prepare you for this summer weather. 

R2 getting in a nice 10 miler in drizzly conditions.

Carol, you're inspiring.   It's hard to be inspired by the elites...."I could never do that."  But people are inspired by there peers who set good examples.  

My motivation for getting the house painted and the yard in shape has crowded out my motivation to run.  It seems every  year at this time I take a break from running. (take a look at my yearly log)  I vow to bring my running intentions back to the surface this week.  The 10K this weekend may be just the ticket.

Onward!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Ev - Wanna motivate yourself to come paint my house?  I  keep bugging The Hub, and I keep hearing "next year."  If we don't do something soon, we're gonna be "those people." Ya know what I mean?  Good luck with your 10k this weekend!

5.15 miles w/10 steep hill repeats in 54:32.  I've decided that in order to up my game, so to speak, with regard to my trail running, I need to suck it up and begin tackling The Hill by my house for hill repeats, especially since I only get to hit the trails 2x a week.  I did better this a.m. that I thought I would, so that's a plus.  I kept reminding myself that just three short years ago I couldn't even walk the dang thing without feeling like I was gonna die.  For the 10th repeat, I climbed a different hill in order to get out of the hole I was in so I could finish my mileage.  It was fairly long, and once I got to the top, my HR was at 180! . . .  maybe I should've taken it a little easier. 

ETA: Any of you having trouble downloading from your Garmin to the training log here?  It says it's downloading, but when it's all over, it says, there's no new data.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

I got my 2.3 mile recovery last nite. I am a really slow starter esp on recovery days but by the end I usally have migrated to a little faster (not fast) pace. Went to bed and awoke with some of nastiest lower gi cramping and burn I've had in a while. Slowly gotten better today. Igot very little sleep last nite and woulda called in sick if I could and am crawling along half speed today. Hope its just stress.

Ev our house needs it really bad also, threatened to side it but then there are those dang hail storms that really whack vinyl siding. Have fun on the 10 k, its a nice distance.

Leslie 10 hill  repeats wow, good going on that, ya a 180 hr is about pukeville for me

I have my tempo tommorow, it would be a disaster if I had to go now. Hope I can shape up.

Carol, Roundup is pretty good stuff, we use alot of it, safe, no residual.

jfa

No need to do my house Ev, it's got vinyl siding.One of the smartest purchases I ever made! Now if I could just vinyl side my lawn?

Hope you're feeling better Jim. I agree with Leslie,looks like you're flying in that tractor.Must be cause the reference point is the ground.

Happy your device is making things easier for you Carol.Good job motivating the new runners!

No prob with the Garmin upload Leslie. Sometimes I do have to do it more than once,but it goes ok. My turn for hills tonight.I think that 180 is as high as my HR has gotten so far.It's really amazing the difference in HR with temp and humidity.Last night was a foggy 63* and AHR was about 121 @ 9:27 miles. Contrast that with Sunday's H+H run at 10:00mm but AHR around 160 !

9 miles for me in H&H. 

Fatozzig very nice hill work.  I got in a couple miles of good hills today as well.  But not hill repeats like your's.  Let me tell you how my wife gets it done, Leslie.  She goes to the paint store, buys paint, brushes, rollers tape, caulking, paint doomaflawchies that hold the paint.....the works.  Then she starts spreading evrything out, pours the paint and starts in painting.  I can't just sit around and let her do it.  So I go out and start helping her and pretty soon I'm all by myself painting away.  Anyway she doesn't know what she's doing......or does she?

R2, good luck on the tempo. 

Joe, looking good!  About the lawn, I really have given some thought to some native type grasses that stay low and don't need mowing.  A friend suggested Buffalo grass (at least for OK).  Ripping up the bermuda would be a major paradigm shift, but maybe someday.

Good running/walking and stuff to all!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Smart woman you have there Ev. She knows how to get the job done! Speaking of lawns, did you say 5 hours on the mower for Lynda, Jim?

8.3m on my hilly route tonight. Nice 68* and cloudy. I have been a minimalist when it comes to running,but lately I have been carrying the "fluff". GPS,iPod, Radio,blah blah, blah. Tonight ,no radio reception,battery's dead on the GPS , and instead of getting aggravated, just stashed the whole lot by a tree,had a great run, and listened to the woods.

Yea, that's why I do this........

Ev - I think I need to talk to your wife.  She sounds like she knows exactly  what she's doing.

Joe - The only time I use my iPOD is when I'm road running in the a.m., and lately I rarely do that.  I never use it when I'm on the trails because I know I won't be using one during an event.  And yes, it's very nice to be out there with nothing else crowding your brain except "just being."

Well, it's late, I worked for a couple of hours after I got home, and I need to get some sleep.

Nite all -

Something interesting I just found in the Garmin Training Center.  On Sunday, I had 7133 feet of ascent and 7067 of descent in the 9.75 miles.  I've never seen that before!  Can't figure out how to copy the info or the graphs over to here.

Okay - I'm going to bed!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance