Masters Running

40s On the Run - It's Summertime! (Wk of 06/22/08) (Read 475 times)

A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent Way to go, Kelly! She got in 72 miles for the week! (I'm exhausted for her . . .) It's a rest day for me, but once the sky clears, it'll be a lawn mowin', finish paintin' the shed day. Have a great Sunday!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

It's summer time alright, and we started it off by going to a Luau themed engagement party last night. Such fun. I've never seen a kareoke (sp?) setup like this one. It's amazing how a couple of drinks can loosen a person up enough to get up there and belt out a song. Our friend Dexter, rather shy dude, sang Copa Cabana and did an amazing job. Here's a couple of pics of Kenny and I.... Enjoy what's left of the weekend......Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Thanks for kicking us off Leslie. We are just hanging out today as we had the first of 2 area 5k's yesterday. Nebraskaland Days 5k, I haven't had this much fun since the hogs ate my little brother. Ok, I never had a little brother but we sure did have fun. Wink North Platte claims to be the birthplace of rodeo with Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. His home base Scout's Rest Ranch is not far from the modern arena. Nebraskaland Days is the evolution of the original wild west show with 10 days of celebration including ProRodeo, big name entertainment concerts, parades, art shows etc., and of course one of the bigger 5k and 10k races in the area. Its about 80 miles from our house and in a different time zone so we kinda had to organize as we had several irrigation wells going but we had it all set up by friday afternoon. We got up at 3:30 am to get ready and were out the door by 4. We can't do an online check on the one remaining diesel well running on wheat, so we did a drive by on the way to the race, Crapola Angry, it was off and we had Lyndie's little car. We drove back to the house and I got my pickup with all the tools in it and she took off for town in her car to drop the dog off at dad's. In a ten minute checkover at the diesel well I could not get the motor to stay restarted and I wasn't going to find it in the dark so headed to town Nine-0, hit a bump and dumped the contents of a large toolbox, then took a corner a little too fast and got a little loose but saved it and it gave me a little reality check that having a wreck would probably be a litttle worse day than being a little late for a little 5k race. We made the rest of the trip without further incident. We were ok on time but I would have preferred a little more time to get fully warmed up and soon we were lining up at the start. I was about 1/3 of the way back lined up behind a couple kids that are good high school x-country runners from the town of Imperial just south, Cara and Preston. Without any ado the gun starts us, suprising and startling most, but off we went. It was crowded the first 1/4 mile and I kind of settled in behind Cara as she picked her way thru traffic and soon the street opened up and her and Preston hit their stride and pulled away and I settled in to what felt a maintainable pace, Garmin said 8ish and I was laboring a sure symptom for me I wasn't fully warmed up. Mile 2 came and went and the garmin said I was running mid 7's and felt really good. Near mile three my 2 nemesis from BB showed up about the same time. The cramp/spasm in my lats was back, I tried to shake my shoulders out and let my arms hang for about 100 yards and that seemed to help. Now the stitch, I tried Lynda's trick to try and breath out when the left foot made contact with the ground but decided I wasn't coordinated enough to perfect this technique at race pace and just tried to breath very deeply with pursed breath, Jonathan had told me that last week and that seemed to help. Now just to survive the last half mile or so. They had rain showers there the night before and by now the sun was fully up and in our eyes and turning any water in the street to vapor. I closed on a tall late 20's guy thinking this pass will be short lived but as I went by I could tell he was really struggling, then I passed a lady (Deb and I know as a good runner) in my age group from Imperial thinking the same thing, her form was good from behind but her breathing in this heavy, humid air was labored also. OMG this is hard, just hang on, BB was so much more fun, this is pure suffering. With 200 yards to go Jonathan had made his way back on the course to cheer on his wife and others. He shouted " You're cruising", felt more like dying to me, Wink then he yelled "Quick turnover! Quick turnover!" and I managed a mild kick most of the way to the finish and went and crashed on the sidewalk in the shade until the breath came back. Time official 24:14, Garmin 24:11 @ 3.11 miles previous pr 25:24 at the Goodall Gallop. I went out to meet up with Lynda a few hundred yards out and cheered her on and ran with her long enough to get a pace read on the Garmin, she was running 10:30's near the finish, she was doing very good. She got a new pr by 3 minutes @ 33.53. Jonathan won our age group @ 18:30 and 5th overall, he had hoped to run mid 17's but he said the heavy air bothered him also. Preston was a little behind Jonathan 19 ish and Cara 20:something and Deb just behind me for a co-ed team first place. Everyone ahead of Jonathan was high school or college age, he was 3rd most of the race but started to struggle where I did also. Back to reality, we grabbed a bite of breakfast and boogied home, in about 20 minutes I got that pivot motor going, a bad ground on a safety kill. Lynda's whole family was in town (NP) and she kinda wanted to go back for the parade and family so we bounced right back to North Platte for the rest of the day. So all in all a good day from a shaky start yielding 2 very fun PR's. We have one more 5k in the old home town to go in just short of 2 weeks.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Fun report, Farmer Jim! Glad you slowed down in the vehicle and kicked it up when on foot. Wink And congats to you and Lynda on you PRs. Nice!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Way to go Jim and Lynda.....your gettin' mighty fast and your wife knocked off 3 minutes. Very nice! You have come along way and Lynda has done the same as well. I bet she feels great! Loved the report...... Jewels Kelly.....my daughter is getting her Mat 1 Pilates certification this summer. There are a couple of organizations that she was told to look into. AfAA and AFPA.....any suggestions on which ones are better then others. From what I've seen, you really have to be careful that they are nationally recognized certifications and not just some money making fly by night deal.
              Jewels - Nice pics of you and The Hub. What's that thar on yer left leg??

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Way to go Jim and Lynda! Awesome PR's. Isn't it fun when you see the minutes fall off? Feels like magic on race day, but we all know it's really a result of lots of hard work. Speaking of work, you're gonna have to stop letting it get in the way of you running. Great RR, thanks for sharing your day with us. Jewels, you and hubby are just too cute! You both look tan....must be that nice pool out back Smile. Hey, and you're in college, so gotta get ready for spring break at Daytona, right? My hubby keeps threatening to crash a rush party. 'Course they'd probably like him 'cause he could buy the beer! No runs since Friday, but had a nice one then, and another planned for in the morning. Lots of pet sits this weekend, so quite a few doggie walking miles. Thanks for starting us off Leslie!
                Progress Trumps Pefection
                  A couple of geckos!

Top 'O the World!

Way to go R2 & Lynda!!!! WOO-HOO!! & a well written, action-packed-adventure-RR!! Wink
                    A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent Way to go, Kelly! She got in 72 miles for the week! (I'm exhausted for her . . .) quote> hmmm, if the lawn mower was broken, my DH would spend as much of Sunday as possible fixing the derned thing so he/I could mow (which only takes about 30 mins anyway!) I would have to change the quote to "...& the lawn is already mowed!" Big grin .... & yesss, I'm tired for Kelly too!!!.... Shocked I hit 40 miles this week...aiming for a little less this next week - depending on how the Slacker HM goes.....if I keep my reins in (as I intend) I should be fine to run a "normal" week.... Was supposed to be a rest day for me (as much as any of us truly have a "rest day!") However! DH had a golf date (tee time) for 5:30am so the alarm was set for 4:30am & any attempts by me to get more sleep were strongly objected to by 3 wide-awake doggies! hhrrmmph! Gonna be a 92* day (perfect day off weather) Soooo, I thought I would take Mairead to a new doggie park - a much larger, open range type doggie park.... Roll eyes okay, so NONE of it is fenced in in any way! pretty nice area, coupla ponds, some paths, lots of trees - near Chatfield State Park..She's been doing so well in the fenced in ones that I thought she was ready....The first hour went really well. She was excited, having a good time, exploring lots, but staying w/in eyesight of me at all times...I was starting to feel really good about this......then she opened it up!! 1st time I've ever seen her run full out! (very nice stride!).... headed across the road to an industrial park type area & wouldn't come back for quite awhile! Angry She no longer cared whether or not she could see me, just kept moving, but did stay in the same general area...good thing I was well rested! I'm sure I did 3-4 pasture miles of jogging + some weed walking, just to stay in eyesight of her! Luckily she went South towards the reservoir & not North toward the freeway!! also, maybe a good thing it was warming up quite a bit....as I saw her slowing down & looking for shade (very little to be found) I sat down (yesss, in the stickers!) & was able to call her to me....by the time we got to the car, she seemed to be maybe getting a little heat distress .....had to get to the car for drinking water for both of us & even that didn't seem like enough! it's 20 mins to home....I made an "executive decision" & turned around & took her to an open area of the reservoir & drug her into the water (she's not diggin' this so much) for a swim & kept her in the water for a few mins followed by some sitting in the shade for 10-15 mins....needless to say, I was a bit frustrated & she was much subdued ....NEXT! Spent the rest of the afternoon working on the little landscaping project we've got going...purchased & moved another 40 or so pavers, spread sand on the finished product, helped plant 4 more fence posts (concrete & sand)... Off to make popcorn to go w/the movie.... Have a good evening all! C
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hey Gang ! Wow, busy Sunday ! Thanks Leslie for getting us going. Unfortunatley our mower was purring along today, with yours truly firmly and reluctantly attached. Great pics Jewels! You and Kenny are a good looking couple. With those flowers on em, I'd say those were 1960's Geckos! Jim and Lynda- Way to Go !! You guys are just about burning up that race circuit out west. Fantastic report and good going not crashing the truck Blush Excellent pace for you both. In high humidity too! Kelly- Been peeking at your log.. Shocked You're in a whole different league than us.Well me at least! Keep it up! Hey Carol- doggy walks are still putting the rubber to the ground. Hope it's cool enough for your runs . Cindy- that's Great you're able to trust Máiréad like that. Buddy is too much of a herder.Well, he's ok on the beach with other dogs around but one deer goes by ,all bets are off. Busy weekend as all of em are anymore. Ran errands and such yesterday. One thing on my list was to clear the bathroom sink drain.Well,one old peice of pipe didn't like the way I looked at it and promptly snapped in two.Two trips to the big orange store to get replacement parts and there went that day. Set out this morning at 6:20 on the trails. Planned for the Budmeister and I to go 17miles total, but it was not to be. Temps in the 80's with 80% humidity has us wilting, then around mile 12 I turned an ankle. Probably could have overcome it soon enough but walked the 3/4 m to the car and called it a run. No long term effects fortunately. Came home and mowed the lawn then headed out for a little sailing. About 4 miles down the river and here come the t-storms.Well, sailboats,water,and lightning don't mix very well so I had to beach it. Storm passed soon enough, but then no wind at all to get home. Sailing and running both require some patience,and the wind finally returned to carry me home. One ice cold Beck's should send me sleeping pretty good after all that ! Goodnight folks!

flatland mountaineer

Coming to life again tonite, we did the very minimum amount of work today, checked wells etc.. Lynda even mowed. No runs til Wednesday for me maybe Tuesday for Lynda. Got this email for the donut lovers of the bunch a little on the religious side but not preachy. Wait Upon the Lord After starting a new diet I altered my drive to work to avoid passing my favorite bakery. I accidentally drove by the bakery this morning, and as I approached, there in the window were a host of goodies. I felt this was no accident, so I prayed ... 'Lord, it's up to you. If you want me to have any of those delicious goodies, create a parking place for me directly in front of the bakery.' And sure enough,...... on the eighth time around the block, there it was!!! God is so Good!' Kelly 72 miles unreal, great job. Leslie is that your running pard's dog? Nice sunrise pics the other morn. Have you ever tried the sole insoles in your montrails? Jewels you guys look like you had a good nite. Quite the Geckos ya got there. Cool Carol I'd be logging them dog walk miles if I was you. Wink re doing the work (miles) to see the minutes fall off, nice thing about running is to get results from the work, as opposed to the rodeo thing where you practice hard, drive 200 miles, and let the butterflies get to you and 8-10 seconds later you are on your way home or to the next one with nothing to show for it. Glad you had a good day friday. Arla guy in front of me at BB had a crossfit t-shirt on. Seems like kind of the opposite of the LHR training but guess it could complement it as crosstraining. I don't think I am at the point where my bod would tolerate it very well but sounds interesting. I would have been all over a program like that when I was roping. Joe hope the ankle is ok, you did the wise thing by calling it.Glad u got a little r&r even with the home improvement and storm and then lack of wind. Cindy chuckling at your dog story even though I'm sure you were NOT too amused at the time. Kiesha our GS used to ride in the truck with me during harvest. Dad flushed a deer out the end with Kiesha and I watching. Soon the chase was on and 3 miles later Lynda got her to give it up trying to catch her with a tractor and grain cart, then spent the next half hour trying to get her cooled out. Another time she followed a Killdear doing the fake broken wing thing til I thought we were going to have to take her to the vet when we got her caught. Congrats on the 40 mile week, when is the Slacker Half? And a shout out to Ervryday, chuckling about your embarassing moment and better yet in how you handled it in the closed thread.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Jewels - Nice geckos. My SIL wants a gecko tattoo, but her husband is having a fit over it. I told her it was her body, she could do what she wants. What she wants is nothing tacky, just something on her ankle. He's also against her having a breast reduction, which, for back reasons, she needs. So, pretty much, I consider the source. I love Deano, except I think he's being a jacka$$ in these two matters. Cindy - I was grinning reading your report of Mairead, 'cause at the same time, we were watching a program on PBS where a lady was training a dog to herd sheep. He had a definite mind of his own! And when they're done each day, he goes and lays in a trough of water to cool off. Quick thinking on your part to get Mairead in water like that. You're such a good mom! Farmer Jim -I use Montrail insoles in my Vasquez trail running shoes. I am assuming, however, that the insoles breakdown just like the shoes do and you have to replace them. And since my road shoes had to be retired, I know my insoles have even more miles on them. Carol - You sound like you are one busy pet sitter! How're the horses and tarantula?? Today was a total bust for me. I never even got out of my PJs. Just took a shower a little while ago and got into clean ones. On one hand, days like this feel good. On the other hand, days like this make me feel like a total blob. Especially when I read how active you all were. Blush But I did get some good movie watching in! "The Other Bolyn Sister," "Becoming Jane," and "Feast of Love." I'd say the latter two are definitely chick flicks. "Feast of Love" - I really liked the movie, it stars Morgan Freeman and Greg Kinnear, but be prepared for nudity and sex.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

What a busy bunch we are! Jewels - cute pics, I like your dress - it looks so nice 'n' cool - and you guys look like you're having fun! Jim, why you're an athlete! Blowing by all those folks and getting a PR on a sticky day - WOW! That's a smokin' pace, too. Cindy - I also got a chuckle out of your story, sorry! It sounds like something right out of a comedy...the oblivious dog, the frustrated owner...on and on they go... Joe - man, you're logging some miles again, way to go...and I'm jealous that you got to go sailing... 13 slow miles in 100F this evening starting at 6:30...it was still 90F when I got home. Didn't feel all that bad, considering, I guess acclimation really does happen. I'm enjoying a beer now, "They" say it's a good way to re-hydrate....sure, OK, twist my arm! Arla

Ex runner

Welcome to Monday, everyone! 5 miles w/three 30 sec steep hill sprints. There was a lady running down the hill just as I started my sprint up. She says, "Boy, do I envy you." All I could get out was "Good morning" and a sort of a smile, but that made me feel good. Smile Farmer Jim - In answer to one of your questions, yes, that's my friend's dog, Charlie. He's a real goofball, but also has some "separation" issues that she's dealing with. I guess that comes from being in 3 different homes in his short 20 months of life. Arla - Running in 100 degree heat? I don't care if your acclimated or not, my hat's off to you, girlfriend. Holy cow. Well, one boss is gone 'til Wednesday (yea!), but the other is depressed Sad so gotta work on his morale. I'm in my 11th year in this office, and in that time, he and his wife have only gone on a true vacation one time, and that was for only about a week to the Santa Barbara area. If that isn't bad enough, his 80-something year old MIL is living with them and it's really hard on them. (((sigh))) They need to get outta Dodge for about 3 weeks. As we were walking into the office, he asked me what I would do if I could turn around right then and not come to work for a month. . . . . wouldn't that be nice . . . .

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

We have a client in the office right now who has fallen asleep sitting up. She's even snoring slightly! Head forward and resting on her chest, dropping the items in her hands. Big grin I'm trying really hard not to giggle! This is a first!! Poor thing - she must be tired! (ya think . . . Confused )

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance