Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond on the Run - w/e 09/12/09 (Read 450 times)

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." (Anais Nin)

Today was suppose to be a rest day . . . ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!  Oh, that's rich!  Spent 3+ hours doing yard work, and my back is now toast - burnt toast at that.  I need a nap.

Hope the week goes well for all of you!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Guys-

Thanks Leslie and like that quote.Good stuff. Watch that x-training designed as yardwork, it can be treacherous.

Nice pics Jim from last thread.Good going on the 12er  too.Snow in August, that's cool. That's incredible with your friend and the Leadville Race. Hard to imagine that one.

Good seeing you Kelly and Good Luck with your 100 mile race!!! Did I mention unimaginable!?!

Hope things went well for Arla this weekend. Looking forward to some pics from the costumed race.

Hi to Carol and Cindy and Jewels and Ev and Stumpy and to anyone else I missed.

Very rainy summer quite fittingly ended like a droopy noodle this weekend..Sunny and 85* on Sat for a nice bike ride and ocean swim. Sunday and today it was 68* , windy, and cloudy. Instant autumn. Summer always goes too fast here but this year was ridiculous!

Anyway, a Buddy run each day with some solo slipped in. Tried some burpees too and oh yea, they're loads of fun. Maybe they should be called pukees instead! 

Tried some burpees too and oh yea, they're loads of fun. Maybe they should be called pukees instead! 

I think I can do 1 . . . and a half.  Okay, maybe 2.  They suck.  I need to do more.

Watched an infomercial for a workout program called Insanity (it incorporates burpees). What I like about it, from what I've seen, is there is no special equipment involved.  Just your own body.  What I would be worried about are all the exercises that involve, like, push ups.  I end up having issues (sort of along the lines of carpal tunnel) whenever I try to do push ups, and it's not a fun feeling.

BUT - I've watched this video on YouTube over and over and it really looks like something I'd like to try and incorporate into my regular workout routine.  I could play it on my laptop out in my workout room, and the only thing I can think of that I would need to purchase is some sort of thin mat for the floor that won't move around.  Right now, it's just indoor/outdoor carpeting over a slab of cement.  I'm betting that's not the best surface to workout on.  I'm gonna have to talk to Coach about this.

I guess my big thing is - here I am, I think working out hard, but I'm not seeing much as far as an outer physical change, and I want that.  When I look in the mirror, what I want reflected back at me is the body of an athlete and I just don't have that.  I see someone who, yeah, she probably takes care of herself because she's not overweight.  But I want that strong, athletic body.  And I know I can do it, if I can just find the right combination that works with running.

I know, I know.  Another stream of consciousness from Leslie.  But sometimes I just can't help myself.  I'm just glad you guys are (usually) willing to bear with me.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Some Leadville pics of our friend Alan if anyone is interested. Some of Cgerber that posts on here also in the mix.

http://alan-smith.biz/gallery/v/2009/leadville_race/

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Kewl pics Jim! We lost some of our TRR runners to the Leadville race this year because they overlapped. In fact we were putting up/taking down trail markers at Twin Lakes 24 hrs apart! I took a bunch of pics but, not as much/as good (I think) as the media ppl there, hence the TRR links..crossed my mind to crew both until I saw the overlap this year.

Leslie: ref your workout "mat" - we found interlocking foam floor tiles at Sam's Club/Walmart. The kind you might find in a daycare? Can't remember the $$ but it wasn't much. These came in primary colors or black, about an inch thick. Work great in the workout room (basement).

Ps: I get what you mean abt the hard work & disappointment about the speed/quality of remodeling...all this running & I'm still not so thin..but I'm also not so young anymore - it takes time, & I need to put the fork down, & mostly, I need to acknowlege & be proud of the progress I've made already!! I'm sooo much stronger than I was a year ago, never mind 3! I'm blessed to have this sport & these ppl (you! dummy!) In my life, & my life is far richer for it..& I think I'll go have another beer now *sniff* (kidding)

3 easy miles w/DH & Mairead @ O'dark:30 before heading out o a loooong road trip into NE again. Catch ya on the flip side! C

mta: copy editing - blueberry doesn't do paragraph breaks & such the way I ask!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hi guys -- gotta get to work, so just a quick hello.  I see a Kelly sighting (hey Kelly), and some gorgeous pics from Jim among the happenings here.  Oh, and Buddy runs are good!  Where is Arla's race report?

I'm back at a slow/easy recovery week after the crud.  Rode 13 miles yesterday and had a nice Katy walk/run this morning.  Just planning to swim/bike/or walk/run very easy most days and listen to my body this week.  Next week I'll see if I can pick up on week 7 of my tri training plan.  The tri is on 10/25, and I'm also signed up for the JDRF walk run on 9/26, and the Komen 5K is somewhere in there.

It's still pretty hot here, so if everyone who lives northwest of here could please push a cold front this way I'd really appreciate it!

Oh, and what Cindy said, there at the end.  Couldn't agree more.  Just wish I could meet some of you kids.

Progress Trumps Pefection
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all,  I just spent 3 days with most of the family in Maine and mostly off the net.  I did have an air card with me, but between DD needing to check Facebook, etc and me getting involved in this wild thing called "relaxing", I didn't miss it (much) and now a huge amount to go through.  I'm sure many details will also be missed.  Sorry.

Did get one run in that felt pretty good.  I have a route that is about 5 miles that I normally do when we're up here, but a knee started to bark a little before 1/2 way mark.  so I figured I'd cut it a little short.  When I got back towards the end, it was feeling better, so blasted down the hill that ends the run.  I got really excited to see very low 7's (and a 7:28 for the whole last mile) until I realized that I need to do that for an entire 5K to meet what I think I can do (if I actually trained hard enough  ) 

Gorgeous weather weekend--mid 70's and sunny during the day and a real touch of fall at night with mid 40's.  Always a little sad as we closed the island cabin for the season (dock pulling/lifting x-training included), but because DD will be off at UCLA this fall, DW and I will not have football games and dance to hold us at home and we'll get to go up and enjoy the best season for the first time.  Still need to close the shore camp, but any delay is a good one.

Now I've managed to spend enough time that it's time to go back to work.  More to come later.  After I get home and see what kind of mess DS left us to clean up

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

jfa

I'm blessed to have this sport & these ppl (you dummy!) In my life, & my life is far richer for it..

Right back atcha Cindy, and what Carol said too. It all fits in rather nicely with Leslie's quote.

Take it easy coming back Carol, you have time to get there.

Really rough stuff Jim with that LV race.Holy Smokes!

Hiya Stumpy- I envy you spending your time up there in Maine during autumn. Sure is beautiful up there!

Afternoon, Peeps -

Stumpy - Yeah, that "relax" thing.  Now how is that done??  Happy to have you back.

Cindy - Oh, you! *sniff*

Carol - Glad you're feeling better.  The tri is a little over a month away?  Nice!

Joe - What, no 3,000 mile mark this week?

5 miles this a.m. with 10 30-sec hill sprints from Mile 3.13 to Mile 4.  Had to cut a couple short for the purposes of self-preservation (i.e. not getting run over).  I hate those things, but I can definitely see improvement in that I'm getting further up the hill with each session, and the climb back up the other hill afterward isn't as daunting as it was a couple of weeks ago.

And Cindy - thanks for the heads up about the foam floor tiles.  I'll have to look into those.  Whether I get the workout program or not, I need something softer than the cement for my other activities.

I've decided to try a new eating routine beginning today.  It's nothing earth shattering, just going to try harder to follow the ole "6 small meals a day" thing.  I guess one of my questions would be, do you go ahead and have the mid morning or mid afternoon snack/small meal even if you're not hungry?  I would guess so as I'm sure part of this whole thing is to keep your blood sugar levels steady so you don't bonk during the day.

Well, lunch is almost over.  Gotta go.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Joe - What, no 3,000 mile mark this week?

Simmer down now you youngin. Don't rush me. I just calculated that I would only need 4 months (including Sept) at 235per month to get to 3k for the year. Certainly doable. As long as those barfees don't kill me first!

Ultrachick

Better get movin'  Joe!  Not sure if I'll make 3000 so one of us better do it!

Hey Everyone! 

Leslie,  Good for you getting excited over push ups!   Try doing them holding onto 8 or 10lb dumbbells.  Having your hand wrapped around the dumbbell straightens out your wrist instead of having your hand flat on the floor which leads to carpel tunnel like issues.  Any smaller dumbbell and your fingers will get squished on the floor.  When you get really strong-do a push up and then do a single arm row with each arm after-yes, you have to balance on two feet and one hand for a moment.....you can do it!!  Push yourself!!!

Hi to everyone else-I'd hang around longer but I'm trying to go to bed earlier.....

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Leslie,  Good for you getting excited over push ups!   Try doing them holding onto 8 or 10lb dumbbells.  Having your hand wrapped around the dumbbell straightens out your wrist instead of having your hand flat on the floor which leads to carpel tunnel like issues.  Any smaller dumbbell and your fingers will get squished on the floor.  When you get really strong-do a push up and then do a single arm row with each arm after-yes, you have to balance on two feet and one hand for a moment.....you can do it!!  Push yourself!!!

A single arm row whilst holding oneself in a push-up position???  Yep your a true Torturer Coach.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

10 mile progression run last night and another case of you can never tell how a run will end by judging the beginning. Felt real sluggish but loosened up more and more after every mile.

Leslie- have you seen these? They're only about $25 at the local Sprawlmart by me. I have heard good things about them but I'm a cheapee and do them the regular way. Also, that mountain trail run last week for you would probably kill me! 

Kelly- I think I'll get there this year. I just had an 80+ mile week and been over a rolling 300 mile month.Just have to keep it going but I will have a Oct and Nov marathon taper to go through.

Hi All -

Joe - I've seen a version of those before.  I've thought about them, but will see how my hands react to using my 8 or 10 lb. hand held weights.  Sort of carpal tunnel issues have plagued me for many years.  The byproduct of typing for a living.  Nice progression run.  I hear on the "feeling sluggish for the few miles thing."  Almost all my runs start that way.  It sucks for a 5- or 6-mile run.

I had my coach look at the YouTube videos, and he told me that he would OK it for me . . . if I didn't want to do any ultras for awhile.  It's too aggressive, for lack of a better word, to incorporate then go out and try and run 20+ miles on the weekends.  . . . oh, alright.  I'm my own worst enemy and critic, and he always knows how to talk me down.

But before I got his reply, last night I found some YouTube footage of a guy doing the different sessions.  This morning, after my 30 min stationary bike ride, I did the 10 min warm up . . .   I then did my own cardio pumping exercises (which included not so prettily executed burpees/pukees), and I tell ya, my legs are toast.  By the end of all that, I was a dripping, sweaty mess.  Tomorrow's run should be interesting.

Anyhoo - Today, 30 min stationary cycling to the end of "The Gladiator," plus 10 min of Insanity (appropriate name), about 10 min of my own wacko workout, then 30 min of upper body and core.

I've also started keeping a food diary, which will hopefully make me more accountable for what I shove down my piehole.

Later!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi all! Ah, the usual craziness around here...barfees (heh), Insanity workouts, gardening, 100 milers, 3000 mi years....ok, I'm tired now.  

Liked the Leadville pics. That look people get in their eyes - satisfied, happy, weary - I can't imagine what that must feel like. 

Carol - seems like the crud hung in there too long. Hope you're feeling just about recovered. 

Leslie - I'm with Cindy. I was just reading a paper about how people in their 70s who exercise are physiologically similar in many ways to people in their 40s (!!) who are sedentary. So, that means all of us here are, like, teenagers. Well maybe mentally on some days. 

I'll try to post a pic - I'm sort of retarded about this, so here's a link if all else fails.

and maybe a pic

We were the Mad Hatter, Red Queen, Alice, and the White Rabbit (me), although you can see from the pic that we mostly don't much like Disney staff (well, except maybe Alice). But I gotta say that it was a TOTAL HOOT to run in costume, because people were literally screaming for us the whole way. The high school bands and cheer squads along the way went completely nuts! I was a little disappointed when it was over. I'm not sure I'd do it again but I wouldn't talk anyone else out of doing it, especially if you want to feel like you're winning the race!

Arla

mta - sure 'nough, the pic pasting thing didn't work...but the link does...

Ex runner