Masters Running

Saturday, 11/26/16 - have you ever given up on getting something back and got it back? (Read 32 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

<<<(Posie and Papa Pilo and speedy, safe flight in time)>>>
    Have you ever given up on getting something back and got it back?
    It was too far to drive back to retrieve later in the week and i was too tired after finishing the In-Unity-We-Run NYC Remembrance Marathon on 11/5/2016 to walk across the parking lot in the pouring down rain over to retrieve my little Defiant 150 lumen dual-level/strobe flashlight from the rocky bulkhead where I’d stashed it after the first out-and-back in the darkness of the early start.

However, by some coincidence, the out-and-back of yesterday’s Grandpa’s Wishbone 27-miler

was the reverse of the same out-and-back and it was still there at the turn-around,

wet and dirty, but still working. Yippee.
    More exercise for the money.
    At the $20 donation fee, one of my fellow walkathon slowbies

in yesterday's Grandpa’s Wishbone 27-miler estimated it only cost

a dollar for every 22.8 minutes of exercise  . . . . vs. three minutes

per dollar at the $120 Portland Marathon but that's okay, . .

MikeE only got 1min/45sec worth down there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, tet!  Good morning to all who follow!

Thanks for passing on the news about Posie's papa...she and her whole family are in my prayers.

I don't have a whole lot of time in here--Debbie has a full day of chores planned for me, including putting up two trees, so I'll just say hi and get to work.

Hi!

Okay--gotta get to work!

coastwalker

Mornin' Tet and everyone to follow.

<<<(Posie and Papa Pilo and speedy, safe flight in time)>>>    1+

I've lost plenty of stuff, but almost never found it again later or otherwise got it back.

Thanks for the scary story about running in Alaska, Marj. I'm glad that Evanflein hasn't had such encounters, and hope she doesn't.

Good easy chilly 7, Runrnut.

Good neighborhood workout, TW. And thanks for the brief history of the OC. No,, I haven't acquired that taste yet either...

Grocery shopping is permitted on Black Friday, Evanflein. Have fun creating your late leftovers! Did you get in a run yesterday?

That's a heck of a workout, Leslie, and should have resolved any lingering food coma issues. I hope the knitting afterward didn't wear you out.

That's a mighty tasty-looking table, TwoCat!

That's a great Black Friday tradition, Holly, and it is great that you shared it with your dad and your brother's family. Too bad the tree farm is closing - you'll have to find another one. Great job in the pool!

Starr, the sweet potato cheesecake actually turned out to be pretty tasty - I'd make it again. Seems that you had quite a tasty Thanksgiving, and I hope you are enjoying your time with all those grandkids.

That was one heck of a near bear encounter, Tet. Yikes.

5.8 easy walking miles this AM in 37F temps and some moderately-dense fog. It was nice to be out and about, even in less than (but not so horrible) ideal conditions. Then we and our guests went to our favorite dive for breakfast, and are already planning on a 'stir-fried turkey and brusssels sprouts' dish to use some leftovers for dinner tonight. Between now and then, we'll take a walk and do some photo journaling, and will spend hours in front of the fire talking about this and that and the other thing..

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

tetsujin209 amazing bear story!

Mike E chores are one way to burn up the Thanksgiving calories.

coastwalker we still have so much food at home that it is going to have to start going bad before we can justify going out.

StarrRuns my collard greens? You should try them first. Recipe is from a phenomenal restaurant down in Charleston called Magnolia's.

Mariposai is on a plane to South America as I type this. Actually, she may have landed about now but must wait around for her next flight to finally get within driving distance of her dad. Other than that, I do not have any new news.

Spent time on the elliptical. One reason I am taking off from running is to let some tendonitis in my left big toe heal up. Well, I found out that has been a good idea. That 5 mile turkey trot I did aggravated it again. I iced it today, hoping to get it back to pre-race condition ASAP.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good thoughts to Posie and family.

3.5 miles yesterday and 5 this morning, both in a drizzle to start, but not to finish.  First mile of both was the same each day--today I came back up the same way and figured out why it felt so easy.  Turns out it was not only downhill, but had the wind at my back.

I went and bought a replacement window shade on Black Friday.  Of course, I also ended up breaking down and buying a hand cart for my FIL's Christmas present.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

New skirt in town

Sending good thoughts to Posie and her family...

10.2 miles this morning.  When I entered it into my running log, I realized that I was just 0.28 miles short of 1900 miles for the year.  I couldn't make myself go run any more, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to mark that milestone.

Given up on something and then gotten it back? Yes.  We lost the remote control for our Bose clock radio once.  No big whoop, but it meant one actually had to get out of bed to go turn off the radio in the mornings.  After a year of this, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new remote.  And, no joke, not 1/2 hour later, I spotted my 3 yo son toddling by with the remote in his hand! I never did figure out where he found it or if he had it stashed somewhere...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - I love a good flashlight!

Robin - too funny!

I am feeling intensely lacking in energy today, but did run out to do some errands  Now I will log into work and get a bit more done on my November deadline cases, and plan on watching a movie with DH later.  We watched Jason Bourne last night, and The Legend of Tarzan the night before.  Neither was terrible, but not particularly good either.   I think we are watching Nerve tonight.  DH is still loving the Firestick I gave him for Valentine's Day....

6.7 miles for me today in 38 degrees, followed by 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

StarrRuns my collard greens? You should try them first. Recipe is from a phenomenal restaurant down in Charleston called Magnolia's.

Just made a reservation for Magnolia's for mid-December

((Posai and family))

no runs, just lots of walking today

My wife lost a gold earring once that we couldn't find even after a long search. She was bummed since it had been a gift from me on a special occasion. Then, almost two years later, she took an overcoat out of the closet and as she was putting it on we heard something hit the floor. It was the earring!

I did something unusual for me this morning: started on a run even though it was already raining! But it actually ended before the first mile was up and I went on to a decent 7-mile run on the ol' rail-trail. I missed the 8AM group by not getting there until about 8:30, but I saw most of them as they were on their return legs and even finished with a small group that I used to run with a few years back.

Making progress at working off the turkey dinner...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Nice to see Roch coming back to post. Good for you on starting out in the rain. There are some of us here (ahem) who wouldn't do that.

Hoping Mariposai has no delays getting home. That's a long trip to try to do in a hurry.

I've got a few earrings that I've lost and I'd love to have them fall out of a jacket or sweater or something. No such luck. I've started a collection of singles, not sure why. Maybe I'm hoping against hope that I'll find the missing earring for at least some or one of them. Robin, you do know that the reason you "found" (or Will found) the missing remote is because you bought another, right? That's usually the way it works.

Finally made it outside today, and while it was chilly it wasn't bad if you dress for it, which I did. I think it was just barely above zero, like 3 to 5° with no wind. It was actually quite nice out, quiet and peaceful with the sun setting (too early!) by the time I was done at 3 pm. When I run local, that means hills. Same run as a week ago and it actually felt better so I guess that's progress. 7.1 hilly miles.

Now I've got a pot of chicken stock about to simmer on the stove, using the carcass from a couple weeks ago. I have the best outdoor freezer at these temps! Just cover the carcass with foil and stick it back under the covered gas grill, ready for when I have time to do something with it! I think it's been since last winter that I made stock. I love being able to cool and store it outside!

{{{Posie and Family}}}

I love collard greens, depending on how they're cooked.

We're getting dumped on right now.  I'm having a hard time holding my resolve to go to church . . . but I'm still going.

I put off 'til tomorrow running my 13 trail miles 'cause no matter where I go, it's gonna be muddy, muddy, muddy, but hopefully not as wet as today.

Starr - I'm knitting my first hat!  So far so good . . . .

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

One of the reasons I was so happy to retrieve the little strobie flashlight that'd been stashed in the rock bulkhead for the last two weeks was that we'd bought two on Black Friday 2013 and the other one had been missing for a long time, .  . . until I took advantage of the day between this week's two marathons to rummage around in the Christmas box, . . . and promptly found the other one again too.

ps roch - wish you were here to run the first mile of tomorrow's

typically predicted rainy Seattle Marathon.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)