Masters Running

Resurrection Run 5k - RR (Read 241 times)

Edit to add: If you wan't to bypass the boring part, start at second to last paragraph--where the fun stuff starts. Atlhough yesterday’s race was not on my schedule I started to give it serious thought when my legs were still feeling good Thursday-Friday despite a hard 12k last Sunday and a long track workout Wednesday. A couple recent races at other distances, including the 12k, suggested that I could run under 19 minutes for 5k, a time that I had not long ago thought to be out of reach. By Friday night I had made up my mind to race, but was still undecided as to where. There was a nice little 5k I’d run several years ago that was only a 15-minute drive, but the course was not certified. However, if I was willing to drive 2 hours to Sacramento I could run on a flat, fast, USATF certified course. At 5:30 a.m. I was on the road and on my way to Sacramento. If I was going to break 19 minutes I wanted to know that I really did it. Although I’ve always been pretty anal about course accuracy, it’s gotten even worse as I’ve gotten older. I won’t even count a race as a pr anymore unless it was run on a certified course. Is this guy nutty or what? At about 7:40 I arrived at the site of the Resurrection Run 5k, which drew only about 100 runners last year. However, it was to be run on the exact same course that the Susan B Anthony 5k, a top all women’s race, had been run on last August. Five hundred women had competed, with 27 of them running breaking 19 minutes and the winner turning in a sizzling 16:37. The volunteers had just started setting things up for the 9:00 start in a small park located in a nice little residential area. The start and finish lines were about 100-150 meters apart on an adjacent street. It was still a little chilly with not even a hint of a breeze and the sky was clear. You couldn’t ask for a more perfect morning. For the next 35 minutes I walk/jogged around the area, chatted with a few people, and went to the bathroom. After that I went back to my car, chugged down a half bottle of water and went to the starting line to begin a practice run of the entire course. After about 4 ½, minutes I noticed a “1/2 mile” chalked on the street…nice! I was hoping there would also be one at 1 ½ and 2 1/2. At just shy of 9 minutes I reached the 1 mile mark. It was chalked on the street and there was also an upright sign. The streets were in slight need of some maintenance but nothing close to serious. However, there was a definite cantor. I made a mental note to make sure that I ran as close to the center as possible since the route was closed to traffic. By the time I completed the course there was less than 15 minutes before the scheduled start…fast forward to start of race. Since there were only 100-120 runners lined up by my estimate I grabbed a spot at the front, and after a few announcements we were off. As usual a bunch of runners took off like they were shot out of a cannon. Within 100 meters or so about a third of the field was in front of me, but it didn’t take long for most of them to start coming back. By about 600 meters there were 5 guys way ahead, followed by a small group of 4 or 5 of us starting to pull away from the others. Running next to me was a tall, thin guy who looked over and said “nice shoes”. After I glanced down to see that he was wearing Asics LD Racer VII’s, the same model I had on, I replied, “yeah, they’ve been lucky for me” while trying unsuccessfully to hide the fact that I was already feeling the pace. As we passed the half-mile mark I looked at my watch while calmly reporting “3 minutes”, as though it was my normal pace and not sounding quite as winded as before. As we passed the first mile it was down to the 2 of us and with a gap to the runners still ahead. The split was 6:06, which was more in line with what I thought I might be able to hold if I had a really good day. Despite our slowing over the last half, my "partner" was already starting to do the “slingshot” where he would drop back a few strides and then catch back up. Within another 200 meters I started to pull away and began trying to cut into the lead of those ahead. Mile 2 passed in 12:14—exactly 19:00 pace. I was tired by this time, but still thought I might be able to run another mile a couple seconds faster than the last. It was a good sign that I passed the 4th and 5th place guys and could see that I was gaining on 3rd. He was not built like a runner and was being paced by his dog that he had on a leash! Is this legal? I don’t know which is worse, being beaten by someone pushing a baby stroller(which has happend before) or this guy. I decided that being beaten a stroller pusher is worse and pressed on--the dog was obviously in sub-19 shape. Now I was giving it my best shot. With the finish line still not in sight, I passed them, making sure I remained at least a leash length away. I was hoping that Fido would get mad at his owner for slowing him down rather than me for passing him, but I didn’t want to take any chances. Finally I could see the fnish line as I passed the 3-mile mark in 18:14. At this point I thought that my sub-19 was in the bag, but still tried to give it a good strong effort. Then, with about 50-60 meters to go, I could see that I might not make it. Oh no!! I reached down for something extra, but it was too late. I crossed the fnish line in 19:05, not even a PR. I had run 19:04 in September. My watch said “19:05.86” and the one posted later read 19:05.6. Evidently the 3-mile marker had been miplaced, even though the overall course was accurate. According to the marker I would have run the last mile in 6:00 and the last .107 in 51 seconds (7:57 pace), both highly unlikely. As disappointed as I was right after the finish, it didn’t take me long to get over it. The only reason I didn’t break 19 minutes is that I didn’t run fast enough. So what if the marker was a little off. There were many more positives on this beautiful morning and and I really enjoyed myself. To be announced as 3rd overall finisher in a race at age 62 was quite a thrill. Never mind that my time wouldn’t have placed in the top 25 of an all women’s race run on the same course a few months ago and I beat a man who was excercising his dog for 3rd. Smile
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      great race Jim! Nice 3rd OA.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      HermosaBoy

As disappointed as I was right after the finish, it didn’t take me long to get over it. There were many more positives on this beautiful morning and and I really enjoyed myself. To be announced as 3rd overall finisher in a race at age 62 was quite a thrill.
        Had to distill it to the most important parts -- GREAT race!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SteveP

Way to hammer it at the end!!!!! Well done on the OA placement!!!

SteveP

Great job, Jim. I was surprised to see another RR from you since it seems like yesterday when I read your 12K report. Chalk up another one for the old guys!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Congrats Jim. As I mentioned on the 50+ thread, even with the mismarked 3 mile point, this is a great effort. You're ready to nail the sub-19, just need the right day. Spareribs
              huskydon

Very nice job, way to push it at the end. Congrats on the 3rd place OA finish - wow! Don't you hate it when the mile markers are off? huskydon
                  Thank you all and just a note about that mile marker. I don't believe that it actually cost me the sub-19. The overall distance was accurate. It was just such a disappointment to think I had it only to find out seconds later that I didn't. But as I said, the disappointment was short lived. A really fun morning overall
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                    Jim, you are one fast runner for someone of any age, let alone near my age. Congrats on 3rd OA and a fantastic attitude. TomS
                    evanflein

I've never heard of a dog being in the front of the pack... lots of dogs in the back of some of these community 5k's but in the front? Wow, speedy pup. But you are amazing... 3rd OA is usually a spot held by the young guys! Good job, don't worry about the sub-19. I think you could do that just about anytime you really want to.
                        awesome race Jim!! sounds like a great morning - the dog would fighten me a little, i love dogs but running that fast (not that i ever could) with a dog right near me would give me the heebie jeebies - hey, maybe i would run even faster!! lol congrats on the 3rd place finish and for beating the dog!!

denise

Wow. Jim. You are SO close... But, again. Wow. I'd have another mile to go when you crossed the finish line. I love it!
                          LaVita
                          btb1490

Jim, you are a machine! 3rd OA is very impressive, as was your time. Keep up the awesome, inspirational work.

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm hoping in about 20 years I might be able to beat you in a 5K, but I'm having my doubts..... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

jules2

Niceone Jim, well done.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.