Masters Running

Afton Trail 25k -- RR (Read 195 times)

HermosaBoy

OK, I tried to post this a while back and my computer crashed in the middle. So, now that I have a moment, I thought I would catch up. This was a great experience for the HermosaClan. KeeMan and I would be doing the run and CamScam would serve as team photographer. Plan going in was for KeeMan and I to do this more as a workout since had never run that far before -- right! He kicked my butt!!! First few miles we were cruising along. Then, a 16 year old girl passes us -- uh oh, it's on now. KeeMan starts picking it up a bit. Nothing insane, but he started moving. The young lady wasn't seen again until the finish, but she did win the female division -- a very fine runner! Back to the HermosaClan -- KeeMan is running very well. He has me by around 100 yards until we reach the last aid station. He is running well and looks great! Trying to get some water, I am forced to stop because two of the 50k runners were blocking the table. Not going to complain because I respect their ability to run that far. So, I figured this was a good time to get a solid drink of water. As I finish the cup, I see Keeman make the turn to the single track (highly technical) portion of the course. And that was the last time I saw him until the finish -- he was moving!!! So, I do my best to keep it going through there, thinking that I would see KeeMan -- nope. Another runner tries to pass me right before tthe 15 mile mark. He puts maybe 20 yards on me, but I catch him going up the last hill -- sorry guy, you are going to finish behind me (21 seconds). I ended up finishing in 2:00:02 -- 14th OA and 2nd in my AG (40 to 49 finished 13, 14 & 15). As for young KeeMan -- YIKES!!! Shocked He ran to a 1:56:15 to finish 9th OA. Unfortunately, his AG was 39 and under -- so he was 9th. This means that he put 3.5 minutes on me during the single track. I think he likes trail running... For me, I hit two of my 3 goals -- I ran every step of the way (no walking up hills) and I PRd. Came short of my sub 2 hours goal, but I know that will come next year. If you are curious about the course, check this out: http://aftontrailrun.com/PDF_Files/course_map/Afton25k50k_elevation_chart150.pdf Fun, fun, fun! PS --JohnMass owes us his RR from the 50k...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SteveP

Three RRs in a weekend!! It would be sweet to see the Hermosa Clan in action!!! Sweet PR

SteveP

Getting beat by a girl isnt always so bad! Big grin Seriously good running for you and for Keeman. He is setting up his cross-country season so well. The link to the course is great. You reached some goals, watched your kid race with pride and generously shared it all with us. Awesome! Karin
          Always a pleasure, one of your reports, BUT....did Keeman go talk with the young lady racer in question? And, where are the CamScan photos? grins, A
          Masters 2000 miles
          evanflein

Yeah, what was CamScam's role? Where's the pictures of the Hermosaboy clan? Seriously, that profile looks almost like some of my races...! Nicely done, that's some steep climbing in parts... Congratulations to KeeMan on his impressive run, good to get beat by a girl now and then...! Big grin
              WTG, HermosaClan. It looks like fun. I think I've gone up those hills before, but it was on a chairlift.
                Congrats to you and KeeMan. Photos???

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good running for the hermosas. Keeman was really going and is to be commended for his 9th OA. You did well too, with a PR and 2nd in AG. Congratulations to both of you. TomS
                  HermosaBoy

You want photos??? KeeMan Mid Race (not by CamScam): Old Guy Mid Race (not by CamScam): KeeMan Bringing it Home: Old Guy Brining it Home: And the INFAMOUS JohnMass (photo by hermosaboy):

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

HermosaClan... Great race and report. Those hills (cliffs) were daunting! That's alot of 300 footers for a 25K race! What a workout! Congratulations!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Wow that's really bringing it home through the field! Old guy looking pretty good there... thanks for sharing, looks like a hot day!