Masters Running

The Eclipse Daily, 8.21.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.5 trail/dirt road miles in thin air)
    Tramps (51 bike miles with Tribee on Hillybalooza route)
    Henrun (3.1 miles with warmth and humidity)
    Holly (18.2 miles with increasing heat & sun)
    TeaOlive (3 morning miles without complaints)
    Stumpy (2.15 morning miles)
    Tammy (2.4 morning miles with the dogs)
    Tomwhite (45 min CR at the soccer field in high heat)

Mike (6.9 OK miles)

Spacityrunner (Arkansas hiking in H&H with bugs & webs)

Catwhoorg (18 miles)

I’m glad we’re not traveling anywhere for the eclipse - to many people and variables. I can always watch it on the news tonight. On the news this morning, they were admonishing people to not drive with their special eclipse glasses on - something about not being able to see anything.

Nice run, RunnerKSA, How’d DH do on the bike? You are one tough runner - going on with cracked ribs to earn a race shirt (and win your AG)!

How was the river ‘drafting’ (rafting?), Mariposai?

Another killer bike ride, Tramps.

Enjoy your travels and the eclipse, Pfriese.

Sounds like a good day, Henrun. Glad you’ve got your back problems under control.

True enough about 5K race prep, Holly, They are short, but hard. Nice long run.

Tough conversation to have with FIL, Stumpy - I don’t envy them that either. Anytime you want to invite us for dinner…

Good luck with the growing XC team, Tammy. Glad it is growing.

Good job with the poem for the retired pastor, Mike. Whew...

Not my kind of hiking weather either, Spacityrunner.

Sorry about DW's foot, Cat. I hope she heals well.

I' have mixed feelings about the fact that 'they' never needed the fake blood, Tet.

DW and I had a great/challenging time kayaking yesterday with winds & tides and more chop than we expected, but we loved it! A gorgeous day to be on the water. I completed my own special tri - race walking, kayaking, and weeding yet another bed.

Scheduled Rest Day today, so I got nothing as I get ready to not watch the eclipse.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Jay--Ha!  I heard the same thing on local news: don't drive with eclipse glasses on. SMH.

Humid 20 on the bike, as usual.

Have a good week!

Be safe. Be kind.

...mornin' jay//............we get 2 minutes 40 seconds of total eclipse here........

what's everyone else getting??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

We have a partial eclipse here - 90%.

After a rest day yesterday, I was out in the warm humid morning air for 3.74 miles today.  I ran a set of hills in the middle of the run.  3 times up and around the baseball fields at the park.  As long as I am plodding along like a 100 year old man, I may as well plod up hill and see if it helps me get stronger.

Super foggy at the park.

90s again today and tomorrow, but we are promised highs in the 70s the rest of the week.  I'm more excited than a kid at Christmas.

Jay - Nice, creative Tri but I could do without the weeding part.

Marathon Maniac #957

DW and I had a great/challenging time kayaking yesterday with winds & tides and more chop than we expected, but we loved it! A gorgeous day to be on the water. I completed my own special tri - race walking, kayaking, and weeding yet another bed.

Sweet!

I think we only get 75% here.

No run for me today, just about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

3.1 before heading out on the long travel day home.  I have to make a quick business stop at one of our stores that is on the way back to Denver.  Always a good thing to do.  The people out here in the middle of nowhere appreciate it.

Husband did fine on the bike ride.  It was about 1000 feet of climbing in about 5 1/2 miles and then downhill coming back.  Not too technical, but still challenging.  The advice around here is "Keep the rubber side down."  There were a couple of big mountain bike events here this weekend. Serious looking bikers everywhere.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...just watched the coverage in my hometown (23,000 people),

they expect

to make 30-MILLION DOLLARS over the weekend and eclipse///////

even though

that what Channel 2 reported,

it's hard to get my mind around

BUT

I better not hit a pothole next time I drive up there

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I think we only get 75% here.

Holly, we're getting 80% and are farther away than you are. You're probably at 85% or so. I sort of ignored it all, but now I wish I'd picked up some glasses. My favorite client on my Meals on Wheels route today (because she always makes a fuss over my car) was sitting out on her porch when I drove up at about 11:30. She told me she didn't want to miss the eclipse, so I tried to explain that it didn't start until after 1PM and wouldn't really get dark until about 2PM, but she still wanted to just wait for it :-).

On days with this H&H, I'm going to have to alter my morning routine so I'm not just starting out at 9AM. After all, I'm always up by 5:30, but then have to get my coffee, read the papers, run up to Panera to meet my pals and have more coffee, etc. Not like the old pre-work runs in the pre-dawn darkness! So I paid for it over 4 sluggish miles at an 11+ pace, with my socks squishing in my shoes by the end as if I'd been caught in the rain.

At least we're just about at the end for this type of weather: lows in the 50s by the weekend.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

I think we're only at about 35% here, but the sun is right behind a big dark cloud so even if we were at 100%, there's not much to see. We'll see "re-runs" of it on TV and online for awhile, I'm sure.

I can't believe I didn't post yesterday. Got my 20 mile run done, and very glad it wasn't raining. The sun came out at the end but it never got too hot (61 maybe at the end), so besides it being kind of breezy and chilly at the top, it was a great day. Lots of mud in places though, so this was a good test run of the shoes I want to wear, and to see how muddy it can be after a week of rain. If we get a dry week before the race, it should be fine. So, has anyone signed up for "Relive"? It links with your Garmin Connect or Strava account, to show a video of your run. Pretty cool. Check this out (note the elevation on the upper left corner). I've since changed it to Miles but this run is in Km, their default.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g13696257788

Today will be an easy run later, just to get the legs moving.

Yup, 4.4 recovery miles done.

...mornin' jay//............we get 2 minutes 40 seconds of total eclipse here........

what's everyone else getting??

Here in SW MN we are supposed to be 90% coverage at 1:01.  However, it is pitch black outside now due to a huge thunderstorm blanketing the area. The street lights even came on!  Good thing I didn't buy those fancy glasses, not that I really looked for them.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

GSome core/ST Saturday and Sunday, plus housecleaning and just enjoying the solitude with The Hub gone.  Other than that, nothing too exciting.

No eclipse action here.  It's completely overcast and lots of smoke from inland fires, so it looks like a regular dreary Humboldt County winter day, except it's not winter . . . yet.

Gotta go!  Will look back through the posts later ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

We got around 65% and it got a little darker - but I would have just thought it overcast if I didn't know about the eclipse.  Never got glasses, but did make a couple of viewing boxes.

No running today, because i ran for 2+ hours yesterday in the HHH and it felt awful.  No running tomorrow - except after GD1 &GS & DD around Boston

Enjoy the rest of the day and hope those in the totality got to see the corona (great FB pictures),

marj

TammyinGP

I wonder how much I can get for my gently used eclipse glasses?.

We got 94% here. With all the media hype about this "once in a lifetime event", David was wondering what all the fuss was about once it was over. he says "people actually drove for miles or flew in to see this?" granted we didn't get full eclipse here but even at 94% I don't think it had the wow factor he was expecting. Lighting got like it was dusk time. the only noticeably thing really is that there were no birds chirping. It was oddly silent. 

Went to optional XC pre-season practice - of which only 3 kids showed up. But with optional practices and having it early in the morning when some kids probably can't get rides to/from, we knew not many would come. Bella had fun though. She would really like to be a full-time pacer for the XC team. got in about 4 miles this morning. 

Tammy

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

No running today and the eclipse was somewhat of a disappointment.

I was expecting a deeper dark than dusk.  Still interesting tho.

steph  

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - cool app!

Re: eclipse - here the eclipse was from 1:10-3:51, with the maximum point being at 2:28pm.  We had our Monday Team Meeting from 1:30pm-3:30pm, and I could not believe that the boss did not say, "Hey, if anyone wants to go outside to look, go ahead."  I even said, "In 8 minutes we are at maximum eclipse," and he nodded and kept on talking.  I finally said, "I'd like to just go look." and left the meeting, but apparently no one else had the courage.  He literally kept the entire firm in that meeting for another hour after that.  Kind of heartless.

In Ohio, we will get one more good eclipse on 4/8/24.  This is again a Monday, with maximum coverage at 2:17pm, right smack in the middle of our team meeting.  I feel a sick day coming on....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."