Masters Running

Training week ending November 23-24, 2019 (Read 20 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 0
      Tue 0
      Wed 14.8mi (2:07) central park, two loops plus epsilon
      Thu 10mi (1:39) central park, one loop plus epsilon
      Fri 0
      Sat 10.3mi (2:08) some trails
      Sun 22mi (3:37) treadmill, cold rain outside

Total: 57.1 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Alexander - given my shoulder injury, my training has been slight and I feel very out-of-shape.  Right now I am just doing 3-4 miles/day as I try to regain some of my fitness.  I will have surgery on the shoulder on 12/13, which likely means no running for 6 weeks (since the surgeon already told me the arm will be in a sling for that long), so my current goals are to run while I can, do core and strength work as I am able, and once the surgery happens, do stationary bike and incline walking on the TM until I can run again.  I do have an 8-hour endurance run on 4/8 to work toward, once I can run again.

I am happy to keep posting the 40/40 if you like until I am back to that fitness, though.  Let me know.

Also, would love to have you drop in on the daily thread, even occasionally.  Lots of good people there, many of whom I have met in real life over the years at various marathons across the country.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SubDood

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for posting this. I'll try to chime in soon with my past week's runs. Not quite 40, but getting back almost to that level.

Hi Holly,

Thanks for hosting this thread for as long as I can remember! Good luck with the upcoming surgery. I hope it goes well and you are back to running soon!

Lastly, this is one of the most impressive things I've seen in a while:

Sun 22mi (3:37) treadmill, cold rain outside

Wow.

BTY

Thanks Alexander, and Holly!

It's really hard swimming 40 miles a week while holding down a job, but this lools like something I can do:

Mon   3000 yards in the pool, alternating 150 yds backstroke/150 yds crawl, 59:27.
            Tue    1500 yards in the pool, alternating 150 (then 50) yds backstroke/ crawl, 28:14
            Wed   2250 yards in the pool, alternating 450 yds crawl/450 yds backstroke, 43:07
            Thu    2800 yards in the pool, pyramids 100-200 ...500, back/crawl/back, 48:53
            Fri      1400 yards in the pool, 75 yards at a time, 1:45 intervals included breaks, all crawl, 31:34
            Sat     0
            Sun    3,750 yards in the pool. 75 yards at time, 1:45 intervals including breaks, all crawl, 1:27:30

Total:   14,700 yards (8.35 miles, 4 hours, 58 minutes, 45 seconds. OA Pace 36:00/mile)

MTA:  I'm very happy to have found an app on the interwebs that uses a regression curve based on performances at distances to determine training paces for various distances.  How accurate of a guide it will be, I don't yet know, but it's got to be better than what I've been doing on my own.  I have to enter time trial results over 50, 100, 200, 400 and 800 yards, tested over three days (rest day between test 1 and test 2) and the app will calculate my regression rate and suggest whether I am a sprinter or an endurance swimmer...or maybe just suggest that I am not fit - that is a good possibility that isn't mentioned.   Anyway, my current goal for this week is to do test 1 Wednesday morning and test 2 on Friday.   If Thanksgiving Dinner and desserts skew the results on Friday, I'll do the tests again next week some time.   This gets my competitive juices flowing!

BTY

SubDood

For the week ending November 24th, I ran 32.7 miles.

On Friday (Nov 22), I tried my first attempt at a "Hadd 2400m Test" performed on a treadmill at work. This is something that I learned about after lurking on the "Low HR" forum. Anyhow, I modified some of the parameters, but I basically set the TM at 1.5% incline, then aimed for certain HRs at roughly 10 bpm increments, increasing the effort after 1.5 miles at each level, and recording the avg HR after the initial 0.5 miles at that level. The results are interesting, to me at least. I plan to repeat this test roughly every 6 weeks. The goal is to see my speed/pace improve at each given HR level.

Incline Goal HR Avg HR       Speed
              1.5%   125 bpm 128 bpm    6.3 mph
              1.5%   135 bpm 136 bpm    6.8 mph
              1.5%   145 bpm 145.5 bpm 7.4 mph
              1.5%   155 bpm 155.5 bpm 8.2 mph
              1.5%   165 bpm 164 bpm*   9.0 mph* (* I only went about 0.6 mi total at this speed today ... )

To follow the Low HR training methodology, I need to keep my HR below ~130 bpm for the vast majority of my runs. This is slower/easier than I am used to running, but I see some merit in this type of training.

We're supposed to get 8-10 inches of snow tonight, so I may get to spend a lot more time on the treadmill in the coming weeks and months.

Happy running and swimming!

Alexander R

Hi Holly,  yes, we can sure go back to 40/40 it was a great tradition.

I think I was posting there since 2009 or so? Maybe it had a different name back then.

I'll post one more time for this week and we'll maybe go to 40/40 after that?