Masters Running

Walking 101 (Read 47 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - you are a very good coach getting involved with suggestions on equipment too as I have glued non-slip strips oif hard rubber to the bottoms of each geta and stayed put for all 26.2 miles, . . I mean 42. 195km.  they help a lot.

and, yep, the 42.195 is the km marathon distance.

Nobody over here has any idea of the significance of 26.2.

/

ps - I was thinking it would take a little over an hour for each of the early loops of the 5K perimeter of the Imperial Palace Marathons and longer as it got hotter and more and more humid.  I had to start at 3am and it took 9:35 for a new KPW PR but they don`t get much more memorable plus it gave needed confidence for another assault in them on Mt. Fuji.  It looks like it will be working out for a friday try too.

thanks again..  .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Hi Divechief,

Jay:  are racewalking shoes different then running shoes?

Well, the short answer is no and yes. No, they aren't different from SOME running shoes because most racewalkers wear running shoes. Hersey makes custom racewalking shoes, but they are very expensive. New Balance used to make racewalking shoes, but they stopped about 5-6 year or so ago.

YES, they are different from the running shoes that most runners wear. The key components of a good racewallking shoe are a low heel (because we are heel strikers), and a very flexible shoe (because we want to be able to roll the length of the shoe with each stride and have a bit of a toe-off at the end). Having a low heel also means that the difference between heel and toe height will be minimal, which is also a good thing. Keep in mind that racewalkers land with far less impact than runners, so we don't need near as much protective cushioning in our shoes. Many racewalkers wear racing flats because they meet all the criteria. The introduction and expansion of minimalist shoes has expanded the options open to racewalkers. I wear Mizuno Musha, which have been described as a "middle-distance racing flat." That means they have a scooch more cushioning than traditional flats, but still meet all the other criteria. They are 7oz, with a heel height of 22mm (about as high as I'd want to go), and toe height of 13mm. Even when new, I can roll them up so the toe almost goes to the back of the shoe. I've raced half marathons in them, and they've been great. I have a pair of lighter, totally uncushioned flats that I use for 5Ks.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.