Masters Running

St. Patricks 8K - Bay City, MI (Read 174 times)

Summary: 43:46 9:49 pace 7/14 in AG (60-64) 257/384 I have done this race every year since 2002. It's bigger than a lot of races I do, but still not too big. There were 384 in the 8K, 1236 in the 5K run, and 593 in the 5K walk. One of my racing friends, Ann, was the new race director and had advertised more than in the past which probably was the reason for the race being a little bigger than in the past. She also changed the race from a point to point race to an out and back over what was basically the last half of the old course. I liked not having to deal with shuttle buses. On the way back from our trip to Omaha, daughter Sandy and I stopped at the small expo they had on Saturday (a first for this race) to pick up our race packets. We got to visit with Ann and a few of my other racing friends. Sunday, we arrived extra early as I was concerned about parking and the closure of streets for the big St. Patricks parade that takes place after the race. It turns out we didn't have any problems and visited with some more friends before the race. Due to the week of visiting and traveling before the race, including the 13 mile run we had with Dave on thursday, I didn't feel real energetic and didn't have high expectations for a fast race, but the normal expectations of a good time with Sandy and my racing friends in the race environment. I just planned on a moderate effort and the desire to finish at under a 9 minute pace. It was in the low 30s with a little wind and an occasional flake or two of snow. Even though they posted signs at the start for estimated paces, a lot of walkers were right at the front walking side by side. I didn't rush to cross the start line and didn't have too much problem weaving around the walkers and slower runners as the street was 5 lanes wide at that point. During the first mile, I was over a nine minute pace for awhile but sneaked it under by time I hit the first mile marker. At about a mile and a half, the 5K runners and walkers turned back to finish their races and us 8K people were by ourselves. I got my pace to under 9 minutes for the rest of the race and greeted a few more friends as the race progressed. At about 3 miles, after the turn around, I met Sandy coming towards me and we "high fived" it as we passed. About three and a half miles, we merged back with the 5K course and lots of walkers. There was more weaving and passing but it wasn't too bad since about mile 4 we turned back onto the 5 lane street and there was a fair amount of room. After the race, we visited with some more friends and saw part of the awards which were handed out in the local movie theater. According to my GPS, the pace splits for the approximate miles were 8:59, 8:29, 8:41, 8:45, and 8:31. My GPS had me running 5.020 miles (dodging those walkers and not cutting corners) and a pace of 8:41. Sandy finished in 50:44 for a pace of 10:13 which was ok with her even though it was not exceptional for her. One bright spot for both of us was slightly negative splits as indicated by the timing mat at the turn around. A nice lunch before heading home ended another fun time. TomS
    SteveP

Tom, Your RR are always a joy to read. Runners like yourself are what I like best about racing.

SteveP

Hey, you kind of sneaked this one in on us, didn't you? Glad to see that you were able to make it to your traditional race again this year, and that you had your usual good time. My running goal this year has now shifted to just being able to get in shape in time for the Crim, where perhaps we'll meet again. From the daily thread, sorry to hear about your MIL, but like my own mother it sounds like it was her time and there was no cause for regrets.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Nice race Tom, I remember Bay City, a tough old town that used to have great football teams when I when I was going to high school in Flint. Btw, you cheated yourself with that "9:49" pace in the summary. Knowing that you always run much faster I wondered what had happened. Further inspection revealed the error and I realized you meant to type "8:49". Well done (the race--not the typing Smile)
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            Tom, nice race and special that your daughter could join you. Sounds like you had to dodge a lot of people but you did pretty well with those negative splits.
            selb3

Way to go Tom and Sandy! Cool I had checked your times on the race website. You failied to mention that you finished 7th in your age group and Sandy finished 18th. Just think, if you had kept to your schedule and not run the 13 miler on Thursday .... Congratulations! Dave
                Glad someone corrected that pace error! I was thinking it didn't seem right. I am envious that you get to run with family members. I am going to start working on my kids to enter "dashes". So far they refuse. Good job!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

I also knew you were faster. After all, you always report on this race and it always reminds me of the work I used to do up there for First of America Bank. Remember them? Great you got to run with Sandy. Great report. Spareribs
                    Nice report tselbs Bay City is one of the races I haven't run but will one of these days. I think it being Sunday is always the problem for me. It being back to work day, church and all. Hope to meet you at one of the local races soon Flushing 1/2? Marathon D
                      another fun and friendly race report, Nice job

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

I, too, was baffled by the pace vs. time question, but I see it's just a typo. Nice racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

btb1490

Tom, a great day spent with friends, and some fine racing too. Well done. Thanks for the report!