Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 6/8/08 (Read 568 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here's what I have for last week's tally. Let me know if I missed you or got something wrong.
    WhoMilesCommentary
    Twocat70.13 HM with CNYrunner!
    Hermosaboy70 ish2 races this week – 5K and 20K.
    Ultrachick62.2 Nipmuck Trail Marathon this week.
    CNYrunner58 HM with Twocat! 1000 miles since February – wow! What about January?
    Jim24315572 races this week, a 10K and an 8K. Congrats on the 10K PR!
    Perch55.8 Those hills are going to make you super-strong.
    Slojim51.5 Nice cool LR along the coast.
    Holly49.65 Trying to add more speed and tempo
    BCMorant47.4 New weekly mileage PR!
    Biketm45151 miles cycling, 1500 yds swimming
    PeterNC43 Ramping up for a fall marathon.
    Tetsujin42.2 All in the same day!
    DfromBG40 Off to Tennessee – have fun!
    Slowgino35 MM #970! Gino – I don’t know what I’ll do with it, but I figured what the heck. Some of the nicest people I know are MMs, so it’s prolly a great club to join.
    Breger32.75 Got to meet Mcsolar!
    Pfriese30.373.4 miles cycling
    Evenflein20.6 X-training with lots of gardening (hey, that’s hard work!)
    Tallrunner Back later... Heading off to kick some butt at the shorter distances – I know you’ll do well, fast guy!
    Here's my plan for the week:
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday00 Weights and abs
    Tuesday8 10 miles #3, 4, and 5 starting at MP and accelerating to tempo (8:41, 8:24, 8:06)
    Wednesday6 5 Easy pace on the treadmill
    Thursday8 7.75 (3 x 1-mile at 5K effort) with a 2-minute walk in between – mile paces 7:33, 7:32, 7:38.
    Friday00 rest day
    Saturday7 7.2 recovery pace
    Sunday12-14 13.1 Miles 2, 4, 5 at MPish, the rest very easy pace
    Total38-42 43.05 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great thread! When did you think of doing this Holly? Ok, just trying to think of some other way to start my post. Smile Here is the plan for the upcoming week.
      DayPlanActualForecastReality
      Monday1010.876AM, 4PM6.64 AM, 4.24PM
      Tuesday1715.2317 w/ 14 @ MP Not recovered enough from Sunday’s race to do the 17. Swapping Tuesday’s and Thursday’s runs.
      Wednesday10 06 AM, 4PM Rain, rain go away. Planning to move the run to Saturday.
      Thursday1517.51 Happy I did not run yesterday. Made this workout quite a bit better. The 14.24m@7:31. Not bad.
      Friday11 11.86 Run with TP. Rain, then lightening, then just cloudy. We were soaked!
      Saturday010.07
      Sunday7.17.355K race AM, 4PM4.25PM miles.
      Total70.172.89

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Last week of reverse tapering. I've used up my quota of free passes, I think. I really hope to make 40+ this week.
        DayPlanActualComments
        MondayPlanned Rest Day0.0 milesDone!
        Tuesday6 miles recovery8.0 milesAt MP! 8:41 overall (flipped workouts with Wed.
        Wednesday8 miles GA6.0 milesEasy recovery pace 9:40 min/mile.
        ThursdayPlanned Rest Day0.0 milesDone!
        Friday9 miles with 8x100 striders9.25 milesSlow. H&H. High HR. Ugh.
        Saturday6 miles easy6.1 milesEasy pace on the TM
        Sunday12 miles easy12 miles9:33 pace with 4 hill repeats
        Totals:42ish41.35 milesMade it to 40 finally!
        Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Don't know why I keep posting here... 40 seems out of reach these days. Not sure what I'll actually get done later this week. We drive to Anchorage for the first soccer tournament of the season on Thursday, home Sunday. Hope to run on the Coastal Trail while there...
          Day Plan Actual Comments
          MondayXT day0 MilesFinish that Garden!!
          Tuesday4 miles6 miles8:31 avg pace, warmest run so far this year at 73F
          Wednesday6 miles10 Miles8:28 avg pace, foot feels pretty good!
          Thursday4 miles0 milesSwitched rest day; Travel day to Anchorage
          FridayRest Day10 milesRan along Coastal Trail; Soccer Tournament
          Saturday5-6 miles5.2 milesHilly run from FIL's house before games
          Sunday5-6 miles0 milesNo run...Driving home after tournament
          Totals:~24-26 Miles31.2 miles actual total

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thinking about a 50 ish miles week....but it's suppose to be real hot here all week, so we shall see....Man, training for a Marathon in the summer is going to be tough. Thanks Holly Smile Mon - 10 mile tempo run - Not as quick as normal, adapting to the heat - 8:00 pace Tues - 7 Easy miles Weds - 3 Mile recovery run...been tired Thurs - 8.5 easy miles.....hot hot hot out Friday - Rest Sat - No Run - Storms, severe flooding, State of emergency Angry Sun - 20.5 Miles - 22 miles total but bonked and had to walk the last 1.5 miles home in sweltering heat, so I am not counting the 1.5 walking. Total - 49 miles - tough week adjusting to the heat But I did reach 1000 miles for the year yesterday Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I Can Go The Distance

Holly, My plan is for another 47 mile week. BTW, I'm not complaining but I got left off last week's list. Cry Total was 47.4. Thanks for keeping this thread going. Big grin Monday Rest Day Tuesday 7 mi w/7x800m Wednesday 7 miles easy Thursday 7 miles w/3 mile tempo run (tempo mile times: 8:36, 8:28, 8:13) Friday 7 miles easy Saturday 12 mile LR Sunday 7 miles easy Total: 47 miles

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Back into the 40s and then some as I ramp it back up for fall marathon fun. Thanks Holly! 6/2---3.5 recovery miles----3.5 miles 6/3---9 miles with 8 as pace run----9.2 miles with 60 minutes at 7:55-8:00 pace 6/4---11-12 easy miles---off 6/5---off/travel to NC----10 hilly miles in Boone, NC at 8:47 pace 6/6---10 miles with 2 at 6:55 pace---changed plan to run with J---13.8 at 8:20 pace 6/7---8 easy miles----8 miles at 8:12 pace 6/8---16-18 miles with some at mp----18 miles at 9:07 pace Total: 62.5 crunches,planks,sit-ups, push-ups, yoga etc. 3xweek CNYrunner How was Nipmuck ultrachick? Pretty good week all in all and mileage is climbing again as planned. The hamstring twinge disappeared and now I need to work on getting more sleep and adjusting to the heat.

Hill Runner

Sun 15.05 miles Mon -- Tue 10.11 miles Wed Thur 10.13 miles Fri Sat 8.03 miles 43.3 miles for the week

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, BTW, I'm not complaining but I got left off last week's list.
                    Whoops! Sorry. I do the tally in between documents at work, and sometimes multi-tasking scatters me a bit. Gotcha now. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks Holly.... Hopefully I'll get a more normal schedule this week.
                      DayPlan Actual Comments
                      Monday7 mi GA5 mi with THAT hill about 9:15 pace overall
                      Tuesday8.2 mi with 5 mi LT8.2 mi5 mi at 7:30 pace
                      Wednesday14 mi m-LR14 miat 9:10 pace in the warm humidity
                      Thursday5 mi recovery4 mismooth as silk at 10 min pace
                      Friday6 mi GA6.6 mi8:23 pace, hot and hilly
                      Saturday4 mi recovery4 minice and easy in the heat
                      Sunday20 mi LR20 mihardest 20 miler ever with temps ending in the 90's lost 5% body weight..meh
                      Totals:6261.8 mitired after that week!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I Can Go The Distance

Whoops! Sorry. I do the tally in between documents at work, and sometimes multi-tasking scatters me a bit. Gotcha now. Smile
                        Thanks Holly for adding me to last week. Smile Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Thanks, Holly. Hey, login to MM and do the "Add My Marathon" thing... you probably have better data records than I do (still gotta find some of my '77-'82 stuff...) Plan - take it easy on the legs, have a few rest/off days Mon - off Tue - 13 miles easy, park trails Wed - 5 miles easier Thur - 1 mile easier then 13.5 miles easy, park trails Fri - 4.5 miles easier Sat - 10 miles fairly easy then 1 mile easier Sun - off Total for week: 48 miles

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thank you Holly. with only a 5K and marathon this week, I won't even make 30 miles so put me on reserve until the annual 50 mile trail run at the end of July. thanks. - jon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks Holly Smile For this week.......
                              DayPlanActualCommentary
                              Sunday12 –14 long14 long
                              Monday rest rest
                              Tuesday7.5 – 8.5 easy8.5
                              Wednesday7-8 easy 10 med long
                              Thursday7-8 easy 8.5 With 12 X 100 striders
                              Friday rest rest
                              Saturday5K + 65K + 6 3 mile warm up/ 5K / 3 mile cool down
                              Total45+/-50.1
                              pfriese

Thanks Holly. I'm babysitting grandsons in Seattle (actually Sammamish) for the next couple of weeks. No real plan except try to get in as many nice cool runs as I can while I'm up here away from the heat in Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure I'll need free passes for the next couple of weeks.
                                DayMilesComment
                                Monday2 miles running - done 9:44/mile avg pace
                                Tuesday5 miles running - done 9:11/mile avg pace
                                Wednesday3 miles running - done 9:42/mile avg pace
                                Thursday2.2 miles running - done 8:41/mile avg pace
                                Friday7.4 miles running - done 9:05/mile avg pace
                                Saturdayrest day - done
                                Sundayrest day - done
                                Total19.6 miles runningDONE
                                Paul