Masters Running

Saturday, 1.7.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but I'm running (walking) late, and don't have time for much of a post this morning.

But I did want to say that Tammy wins the challenging weather contest (so far), and that Mike is still a funny guy (Henry sounded OK to me too)!

We went out to dinner with neighbors last night and got home a little late, so I got up about half an hour late this morning. I walked 5.8 mi. on one of my regular loops in 16F temps (WC at 9) and under mostly cloud-filled (very few stars) skies. I was dressed fine, except for my hands which got a little chilly. I've stretched, showered and had a light breakfast, and now have to head out to lead a racewalking training session. The reason I walked early instead of at the training session is that the Winter Warrior Challenge that I signed up for requires a minimum of a mile run or walked OUTSIDE every day in January. Our training session is on an indoor track, so that wouldn't count toward my Challenge mileage.

We're supposed to get a 'dusting' of 4-8 inches later today, so I'm looking forward to a shovel & snowblower workout tonight or tomorrow.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning friends!!

Ran 3.2 miles to the start of the Fudgcicle Race - its a 7 or 8 week series 5k organized by a local running group. Raced the 5k with an average pace of just under 8:30, then (after a little standing around talking) ran 3.8 miles home to get in 10.1 total. Now I need to stretch, core, shower and get ready for annual Ladies Luncheon!!

Make it a great Saturday!!

denise

Good morning Jay, Deez and all to follow. I'm proud of both of you for getting out in the cold temps for your runs this morning. Here, not so much!  It was -5 with a 10 mph wind here, and I just didn't feel like bundling up.  Off to the Y for 6 miles on the dreadmill, then off to obey the 1 hour limit and 28 laps on the track to finish with 8 for the morning.

DS#1 and DIL share the same birthday - January 13 and we're having a little birthday party for them tonight, since they're going to Chicago next weekend to celebrate (without the 3 boys). Off to bake a chocolate cake.

I hope everyone gets plowed/shoveled out today. Stay warm people!

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

No run for me, today.  We have to go to a kid's wedding in a little while and I figured I would use it as an excuse to take a day off...since my knee hurts...and my hamstring feels a little sore...and the bottom of my...oh, forget it...I need a day off.

So this kid who is getting married is a kid from down the block.  Tall dorky kid.  He is a year younger than Eric and they used to play together all the time.  One Saturday, around 4:30, I saw him just hanging around in our driveway...by himself.  I asked him if he was playing with Eric and he told me that Eric didn't want to play anymore and went in the house.  I asked him why he didn't just go home and he said, "My mom told me to be home at 5:00."  I just thought that was one of the funniest things I had ever heard.  Anyway--he's getting married, today.

I am trying to decide on my next marathon.  If I do the Shiprock Marathon in New Mexico on May 13th, my training plan needs to start next week.  If I do the Sandhills Marathon in Nebraska on June 3rd, I have a couple more weeks to prepare for the start of my training plan.  May 13th, fits better in my plans for the year, but I don't really care for the whole logistics of that marathon...but I don't know that Sandhills will be any better.  Oh, the decisions we poor Americans have to make...

Oh...so one day--a few years later--I was sitting in that kid's driveway, having a couple of beers with his parents and I told them the story about how their son didn't realize that he was supposed to be home by 5:00.  And his mother said, "No--I told him he couldn't be home before 5:00--I needed a break!"

Okay--I'd better get in the shower and get ready to go--see ya!

spacityrunner

3.75 miles with the running club this morning.  It is winter series time, and every Saturday in January they host a fun run and have a theme.  This year it is run the parks, and we ran out at Stephens park, which is at Blakely dam.  We ran across the top of the dam.  It was a big hill up to the top.  it was 10f and I won a bag of almonds.  What a fun Saturday morning!

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Some early morning fun on the sledge. Our road was solid Ice for a while

https://www.facebook.com/Catwhoorg/videos/10212191331767104/

(Set to public so everyone should be able to see it)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Bitter cold outside but i pulled 8 miles out of my magic bag of tricks. But wow brrrrrrrr.

Mike E that story is hilarious. And I find it weird that all my kid's friends are growing up and getting married and having babies while I haven't aged at all.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

flats

turtle runner eximious

It was so cold this morning, the windows on my poor Subaru wouldn't open.

I thought I would play with my Garmin on today's run, so I programmed it to stop after I burned 800 calories. It was entertaining to see where my final mileage ended up.

Michael

Marathon Maniac #957

I hope everyone gets plowed/shoveled out today.

Well, it IS Saturday, after all, but probably a good idea to show some restraint.....

Catwhoorg - that does look like fun!

Bertha - so true! 

Kudos to all of you who got outside, you brave souls.  It was 3 degrees here (don't know the wind chill) so I just stayed in on the TM.  Don't know how I will manage 20 miles tomorrow.  I may put it off until next week and just do two 20-mile LR weekends in a row. We shall see.

5 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

An easy 6 miles outside in the snow..... I don't run very fast in the snow.

Paul

We're not getting snow, but we're supposed to get about 11 inches of rain between yesterday and Tuesday.  May have to build an ark!

10 miles this morning at the McKay.  It was just starting to flood in places, and by tomorrow a significant portion of the first mile should be at least ankle deep.  I haven't run more then 5 miles 3 or 4 times over the last month, and 10 miles - dang!  Sure doesn't take long to lose it, does it?

Toward the end of the run, we heard a loud *SNAP* and realized a part of the tree we were near was coming down.  Heidi took off at a sprint thinking the whole tree was coming down.  I couldn't even begin to run that fast with my hammy.  Turns out it was a branch, but still scared the poo out of us.  The look on Heidi's face as she was running away was priceless.  My hammy didn't appreciate my attempt at a burst of speed, so it pouted the rest of the run.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

6.6 on the TM to keep warm.

Had an afternoon play session outside, plus took the outdoor lights down, so being in the warmer basement was appreciated.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TammyinGP

oh, Heidi is going to have fun our relay!  

funny story MikeE!  

gee, I won for challenging weather. I don't want to win for challenging weather. I want to go back to our non-newsworthy, nuthin' happens in so. oregon weather.

So, today was the first official race of the year. The Frostbite Run 10K. I anticipated with our weather it would be a bit frosty and that was fine. this is not a PR course at all with the hills. what I didn't anticipate was waking up to another 3-4" of snow! and almost complete white-out of thick fluffy snowflakes falling AGAIN!   My DH who was going to drive me and a friend to this race, about 50 miles from here, put a kabosh on it. We live on a 3/4 mile hill that was surely iced and snowed over. I don't blame him really and the early reports from the morning were that the hilly parts of the course had plenty of black ice. not worth the drive and potential falling on the course. so I skipped it. ughhh,

the race still went on though and while it drew a smaller crowd than normal, folks that live at the valley level were much less challenged to get there.

so there's my non-race report for the day. with not being able to attend the Resolution run and then missing this one, I'm already out a potential 20 points towards runner of the year. frickyfrackfruck.

Tammy

Still streaking...

3.3 miles, not the 4.4 I needed to stay on pace.  I was just tired, having to get up so early for the Robotics kick off.  Ever see a whole gymnasium full of very geeky/nerdy teenagers?

Think I will just stay warm in bed tonight (it's been a cold week, like for everyone else) and drink tea and read a book.

Wise move to skip the race Tammy!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Hey all. No snow today just single digits. I decided on the treadmill mostly because I was at kiddos wrestling tournament most of the day volunteering. They sure eat lots of food.

Funny story Mike. Spring marathons are interesting. The one we have here in town is really good. Carmel Marathon. Check it out. I bet you might even find free room and board.

Good luck with the snow folks. Gotta jet.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/