Masters Running

40's on the run....First full week of Spring! (Read 437 times)

Afternoon everyone..... Finished up the painting Friday at moms house. Thank Gawd! Messed up the back again....I think it is the moving of furniture, HEAVY, HEAVY furniture that is bothering the back rather than painting. Couple days rest, should be fine. Congrats to Carol on an awesome 5k this weekend. A PR as well....26:58.....thats smokin'...... Hope everyone enjoys their Easter Sunday and a great week ahead! Hub is cooking stuffed shrimp (crab meat), salad, crispy shredded cheese potatoes and brocolli. YUM! Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Got in an 8 mi long run to town before we went to DW's folks for a traditional Easter dinner of ham, and all the fixings. Still cold this morning @ 22 when I left, but the run went well. Lots of new baby calves with their moms wintering in cornstalks by the roads. A couple of the mamma cows thought I was just a little too close to their babies and were shadowing me from the other side of a single wire electric fence. Would of liked to had a HR monitor on then. With my hip "thang" of last winter my progress sure seems slow, but when I went through my old garmin records after today's run and noticed I was at least 10 minutes quicker on that run than anytime previously. Nice Pr Carol!! Jewels hope your back heals fast. Happy Easter and Have a great week forties folks. Cool

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Carol Big grin Big grin Ran a 5K this morning in 26:58. Very happy with that time...a new PR ! Had I run down the teenager ........ Note to self: next time, trip the teenagers early ! ( I dunno how to quote from another thread.... Big grin ) Jewels: I one other suggestion, besides rest....Massage!!! Happy Spring Everybody! Smile Yesterday was supposed to be the "coldest day of the week!" Smile Had small amt of snow over night & a chilly start @ 17*....but w/sunshine, I had an easy 45* by the time Mairead & I headed out for our "long run"... 11.2 miles along the creek trail @ ave 12:42 pc (several walk/water/potty breaks) & I had to fight it often....I really, really, really need to practice more self restraint! Blush We had a friend's birthday party the night before....knowing full well that I had 11 miles on my schedule, I still drank 3 glasses of wine & 1 Guinness! Cry & then didn't get home until 1:30am!...... Dead..... I really need to either kick my own butt for this carp or reconsider Colorado HM signup in a couple of weeks...... Cindy
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          Belated Happy Easter to everyone. Carol - Congrats on the 5k! I say trip the youngsters Evil grin, they'll recover quicker. Wink Jewels - I echo Cindy's recommendation of a massage. Tain't nothin' like it in the world! Well, I lived through my 30k. I'll post a more complete race report later w/pics, but the abbreviated version: This was the hardest thing I've ever done. We climbed, and we climbed, and we climbed, and we $%@#& climbed! Climbing 20, 30, 40 minutes at a time. Steps, 20+ at a time. Sliding on shale rock. Climbing on the balls of your feet 'cause it's too steep to push off from your heels. At least 10 degrees hotter than what we've been training in, and probably hotter at times due to very little to no wind. 95% or more of the run in the direct sun. Terrible job fueling, bloating, nausea, light-headed/dizzy at times. Horrible bathroom issue toward the end, no place to go, TONS of poison oak. Didn't mess myself but very close. Finished 18.8 miles in 5:00:04. Considering how awful I felt through most of it and that I wanted so badly to quit, I'm very proud of that time and very proud that I finished. Yes . . . . and I don't ever care to run that course again, thank you very much. Tongue Have a great week!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Congrats Leslie! 5 hrs. of running makes me tired just thinking about it. Glad you were proud of your time. Nobody knows how tough those things can be unless you've done one yourself. Can't wait to hear the full report. Again....you did it girl! r2...woot, woot! An 8 miler. Way to go! Just when I think I'm not progressing like I should I look back at my log 16 months ago when I was struggling to even run 1 mile and I feel happy. Cindy....you're doing great! 11+ miles the day after a little drinkin/late night celebration. As soon as I hit 12 miles for a LR I'm gonna sign up for a half. Right now I've done 10 a couple of times but for some reason I feel if I can run 12, I can run 13.1 One more day of rest and I should be O.K. to get out there and run. One more time, congrats to Carol on her race. You've come a long way baby.... Jewels

jfa

Hi Forties Folks- Happy belated Easter to all Jewels- thanks for starting us off this week.Also hoping your rest pays off. Leslie- what a run! Holy Smokes that sounds tough.How are you feeling now? Cindy -way to go toughing it out with all that in you!Coulda just said "never mind" and stayed home. Dead R2- nice running for you mister!And watch out for those cows,they're sneaky Wink Carol-that's really funny.Congrats on your 5k!That's fast! Things have been getting back to normal for me. 3 runs since I strained what I think is a knee tendon.Had only one run in 6 days.Then 4.2 on Thurs, 10.3 on Sat,then 6 more last night.Taking what the knee is giving me,and I think it's almost better.Feels"tight " in the am,then feels fine through the day.I succumbed to "peer pressure" (thanks guys) and got a video gait analysis.It's not that I didn't want to,I just could not find a place that did it.Found one at Paragon Sports in NYC.No real suprises,I'm a slight pronator so I could use neutral or stability shoes.My previous shoes have all worn evenly so I bought another pair of neutral Nikes that feel pretty good.Don't know how it will shake out for the May marathon but don't really care if I miss it.I Really missed running during my time off so if I have to back off to get better,so be it. Take care folks

Top 'O the World!

Shocked WOW!.... Jes.. WOW!! Leslie!! {wish this site had sound effects!!} I be thinkin' walkin' that woulda kicked my butt!!!....& oh yeah, CONGRATULATIONS!! Big grin Big grin Jewels - I'm thinking about doing a couple of HM's....before the full in Oct....more for training/experiential than racing....& I keep looking for the events that allow Mairead to run w/me....Oh! & you really shouldn't post a dinner menu w/an extended invitation! Wink.... Yay R2!! Great runs ya be havin' lately! I'm kinda getting the same thing..(except w/o the hip thangy)....feeling not-so-fast...then looking @ my Garmin records from nearly a year ago... Yes....& letting myself feel a little bit proud of my progress.... {{{rib poke}}...I read this really cool chapter in a running book specifically talking about "older runners"...& that even starting @ our age, we can expect up to 8-10 yrs worth of improvement before we "level off!" ...Maybe that means that we should pace ourselves & enjoy the journey a bit! Wink 0712am 39* F/33% H, 15mph breeze & brilliant sunrise.... 4.17 miles~ 3.3 @ 5k pc + wu/cd & Mairead potty breaks..= 12:29 ave pc (a year ago I was walking most of this!) Cindy MTA humor link: http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-walt-babyboomers-blurb,0,1036393.blurb
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Well, you guys are all kickin' some road butt. Good for you! Farmer Jim - Glad things are progressing nicely for you and that it seems you're able to keep the hip somewhat under control. (Dang those buckin' broncs from the good ole days!) Jewels - I echo Cindy on the menu thing. Can your hub come cook for me?? Cindy - I think it's so great that you're looking for runs in which you can include Mairead. She's such a lucky pup! Joe - Glad the knee's doing better, and also glad you see the sense in foregoing the marathon if need be. There will always be another one on the horizon, and we want you healthy and around here a long time. I go see the PT today and will hopefully get a gait analysis, as well. Am taking all 3 pairs of shoes with me. I'm feeling better today. I slept so hard last night, it felt great! Best night's sleep I've had in 3 or 4 days. Did 3 easy miles this a.m. in 33:30 = 11:10. It felt good, but my legs are still pretty tired and heavy. Got an email from Coach last night after he read my extended review of the run. Looks like (1) I'm probably just someone who has to eat the entire time to maintain the energy level, and (2) I was dehydrated, which is what caused the dizzyness. I'm suppose to use a water bottle set up with my runs for awhile and mark the bottle at 6 oz intervals so I know what it feels like to drink 6 oz at a time, which is more than likely NOT what I was doing. He's also going to have me start running The Hill by my house. Ugh! This sucker is steep and I've been avoiding it like the plague. But if helps . . . . Anyway, he was very positive and encouraging, as usual, and has me thinking I can complete the 50k in May. We'll see. Have a great day, everyone! Cool

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Okay - Let me see if I can remember what the PT told me. Basically, I'm a mess from the waist down. He actually said that! Wink There are problems with my right side that are more than likely associated with my initial ankle injury. There's a muscle that runs just above and to the inside of the knee that's not doing what it's suppose to. Both knees are out of alignment with the hips. They turn inwards when doing this single leg stair climb thing (I'd have to show you). My butt isn't strong enough, especially the right side. And without me having to tell him, he knew exactly where my back hurts on the right side when it's messed up. My IT bands are way too tight. There was good news. Except for those conditions named above (and maybe something else??), I'm in excellent condition compared to most women he sees. When checking hip alignment, etc., he said it was nice to actually be able to find the correct spot without having to "dig" into thick hips. Big grin He gave me a couple of exercises that I believe are suppose to work on alignment and butt strengthening, and he gave me a killer (ouch!) IT band stretch. I'm suppose to work up to 200 each per day of the alignment exercises and 2 minutes w/the IT band stretching. He also said that with my explanations of my knee pain and other things he detected, I was right on the edge of basically ruining my knee. Nice! But it doesn't seem like anything that can't be corrected at this point. Regarding running, just listen to my body. With regard to the orthotics, stick with the Montrails for now. No gait analysis. I think he wants to wait and see what happens with all this corrective stuff. He said it would also be a good idea if I could exercise on a Bosu, so I'm going to search the Internet and see if I can get a deal on one. He was suppose to give me the name of the top knee PT in the country to look up on the Internet, but we both forgot. Said that this guy is the only PT who's invited to some major physicians conference, and his seminars are always packed. There are actually waiting lists for the next however many years. I'll get the info tomorrow and see what I can find. And you thought I wouldn't let you know what happened today . . . . Cool

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Been out of town again - and wow, you folks have been busy! Carol - Niiiice PR! You were movin'! I think I can run ONE mile at that pace. r2 - good to hear that you're on the road to recovery...is that hip pain pretty much completely gone? jewels - OK, so you've got the men to take over cooking, next step is to get 'em to do all the heavy lifting! Big grin Leslie - That trail run sounds like a death march...you are one tough lady! Hope your PT gets you straightened out, sounds like you have some hard work ahead of you. I'm curious what he suggested, if anything, that specifically strengthens butt muscles. Joe - be careful! I'm so amazed with your healthy attitude, I don't know if I'd be so chipper about possibly having to skip a marathon. Cindy - Hangover runs just make you tougher Wink As for me, spring break was spent first in Calistoga - think HOT, relaxing mud baths at night and easy runs in wine country with colorful hot air balloons overhead - and maybe one too many stops at wineries (I think you're supposed to spit, although I've never seen anyone do that)...then a few days at Point Reyes National Seashore where a moderate dayhike will get you here: Meanwhile, my lingering cough faded some more, so I was able to get in my first long run in 3 weeks on a very hot and sunny Easter Sunday, then enjoy a nice Easter dinner (grilled lamb kabobs! YUM!) at the in-laws. Oh...and the pace bunny didn't catch me while I was sick. Big grin Stay healthy everyone... Arla

Ex runner

Gorgeous picture, Arla! That's a framer. Last weekend definitely was a beautiful weekend in Northern CA. Great time to visit. Re the butt strengthening. I have a foam roller. I sit with my back straight and flat against the wall, foam roller under the legs at the knee. Let's go w/the right leg - keeping the heel pressed lightly to the floor, the foot up (but not stressed) and slightly laying toward the outside, and the thigh up and in a straight line out from the body, you press the leg hard into the foam roller for 5 seconds, let go, repeat. Start w/50 for each leg and increase over the days until you're doing 200 in a day. Can be split up 100 in a.m., 100 in p.m. Does that make a little sense? You can feel it in your butt and hamstrings. The other one is with a towel rolled up under the knee, and for the life of me I can't remember what I'm suppose to do. I have to call today. Premenopausal brain fart. The IT band stretch - Lie flat on your back, legs extended. Loop a belt, rope, whatever around the end of one foot, keeping leg straight, raise it as high as comfortable, turn entire leg slightly inward, the pull the leg across your body toward the opposite side. I've been doing this w/out the slight inward turn. BIG difference. Hold for 10 seconds, let go, repeat 5 times. Switch legs. Work up to 2 full minutes at 20 second intervals w/each leg.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy Hump Day All..... Leslie, sounds as though the PT had some good advice for ya. Gawd, it's hell gettin' old! I know, I know, you're only as old as ya feel. Well.....I'm feelin' it this week. Back is still not right. Did an easy 3 yesterday. Sitting in my chair all day at work is the WORST. Right where the back meets the butt is where it is sore. Need to bring my cold pac with me to work and use it. Place it right on the top of my "CRACK" and awwww! Not quite sure if anyone wants to see my "crack" at work so I'll have to be discreet about it. joe, great hearing from ya! Ya, missing your runs is tough, but like you said, if that's what you have to do to get better then so be it. There's plenty of marathons, but only one Joe! Cindy, Oh....you're doing a full in Oct. I thought it was a half. Good for you. I think you doing a couple of HM's before the marathon would be some great training runs like you said. Down here in Florida, it's Triathalon season. Getting a bit too warm for super long races, but just right for the Triathalon folks as the rivers/lakes are warming up quite nicely for their swim event. Nov-Feb are the best months for HM's and fulls. I THINK I MISSED THE SEASON!!! I wanna know that I can run 13.1 miles "comfortably" and not "painfully". Arla, nice to have you back! Your spring break sounds splendid! Spring break here, is April 7th! Beautiful picture. Glad to hear you are still getting in those runs. Gotta go....Jewels

Top 'O the World!

Awesome Springy Wednesday to all!! Cool Jewels: Come on up North for some cooler Summer training weather! Wink I've got approx. 6.5 mos. till the Denver Marathon....hopefully, plenty of time!!! both of my HM's are in the foothills, so cooler environments too. & Sounds like you're having a bit of psoas/SI joint stress...think Yoga! (particularly pigeon pose, etc) + heat & "vitamin I" if you can....& a quality massage therapist will know how to help you w/that... Arla: Smile Smile Ahhhhh....don't care how long the walk was...that was worth it!! ~ & I second the "frameable!" & I wouldn't have been able to tell by your log that you'd had a bug... Tongue no way that rascally rabbit's gonna catch you! (meantime, I'm still behind him! :rollSmile Leslie: <putting> ahhem, you get more mileage to any stretch (& therefore, more effect) by the tissue being warmed up 1st(think Silly Putty)...be it excercise, hot shower, hot tub, massage therapist w/hot stones! etc....just be careful to not overdo said stretch! On that same note Joe: If it's better towards the end of the day...sounds like you could use some more warm up + gentle stretching to help ease it back on the road... glad it's not the shoes...but ??? Surfaces?? Guys? We have some Docs who hang out over in the main board & in the 2000 mile club (I think they call it the Swamp? Confused ) Anyhow, one of them is Trent....maybe not a bad idea to post a coupla ??'s to him.... Why are we all having "issues lately??" Don't tell me it's age!....! oh wait, mine are entirely self induced Tongue (I will be using up this body before leaving this planet!)....Suppose maybe it's a bit of Spring Fever?!?! frustration pushing into a little overtraining? I keep forgetting I'm not 25 any more..... Lack 'O Time this am = 3.35 miles @ 12:39 avg pc/ 129 AHR Laters! Smile </putting>
                              Cindy.....Heat? I've been putting the ice pack on the ole crack! Hmmmmm....and why am I sitting here lurking and typing when it hurts worse when I sit? Jewels

Queen of 3rd Place

Jewels! You're cracking *ahem* me up! HA! Gawd, sometimes we're a creaky bunch - but we keep goin'... Arla

Ex runner