Masters Running

Sunday 11.12.16 (Read 36 times)

mrrun

Good luck to our RD and racers today!  Hope all the fires are minor

We have my brother & SIL visiting from brooklyn for the w/e, so big family gathering yesterday and small one today.  managed to get out for 30 minutes before the day starts.  Much as I love seeing everyone, it's also tiring!

instead of where's waldo, where's amy, as others have said!

enjoy your sunday

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Marj - you're starting the Sunday thread a bit early, aren't you?  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Marj - you're starting the Sunday thread a bit early, aren't you?  

just super fatigue - it was supposed to be saturday.....

Hey everyone, I've been off my run for six weeks now because of a broken foot. (Dropping a heavy table on it) . I just got back from a 3.3 mile run in sunny and pain free conditions!!!!! Yay for me. I have been extremely busy at work anyway so my running time will be limited for another few weeks. I am working 14 hour days and 6 and 7 days a week building up for X mas. I am hoping to ease back into this being careful of the foot. I opted out of the boot / cast idea because I am just to busy at work to deal with all that. Probably not the best plan but I did promise to  not run for six weeks and I have stuck to that. I actually had 3 bones fractured at the top of my foot one worse than the others.

Feels great to be able to run again.

I will need to catch up with all that's going on here but for now I'm off to work,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Congrats to all that raced yesterday and good luck to all racing today! Yesterday was an off day for me, planned on running but didn't quite work it in. Easy 8 in cool rainy conditions this morning. Welcome back to running Larry! Happy running and a good Sunday to all!

Clark

Absolutely beautiful race hosted by our own CoastWalker - the support was spot on, the scenery spectacular, and I am in for 2017! Unfortunately I did not see Andy or Jay - we will need to plan that better next year.

Larry - I cringed when reading your post - sounds painful. Good to be on this side of things - no?

Marj gets an award today for being the early bird.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Halllar - Ouch!  And those are some long workdays in the coming weeks....

Beautiful here, but it was 25 degrees when I woke up.  I decided to wait until the sun came up to warm it up a bit, and took the time to do a breakfast "Fry-up" for the family - bacon, eggs, fried potatoes, pancakes - putting my family into cardiovascular danger, I am sure. When I headed out at 9am, it was 35 degrees and sunny, and warmed up another 10-12 degrees during my run.  I had to swing by the house at 10 miles to drop off a layer of clothing.

15.1 miles total

Tonight we are returning with our friends to a once-a-year wine tasting event in which we will be able to taste wines that cost up to $225/bottle.  These are wines that we would never purchase, but it is fun to try the expensive stuff.  Not that I really can tell much difference - most of it is wasted on me, given that I can't really taste all of those subtle nuances, but the others seem to really notice the difference.  Everyone stands around swirling their glasses and saying things like, "It's got great nose."  Mostly I am over grazing on the food tables - they really put out a nice spread of nibblers.  Good thing I ran long today....  DS, bless his heart, is our designated driver.  Have I mentioned what a great kid he is?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hallar - your post made me cringe as well!! Wishing you continued healing!!

Very happy with the inaugural Cambridge 1/2 marathon today. Course and support was great and the post-race party was incredible!! They reserved a whole level of a parking garage and the atmosphere was rocking!! I was very happy with how I felt throughout and with my finish time. No consistent speed work or tempo runs since this sciatica started so my conservative goal was 2:05 and my hopeful goal was to squeak in just under 2 hours - well my official time was 1:58:15!! Very pleased and thankful! My Garmin had me at 1:58:20 with 13.22 miles so that's what I put in my log. I ran the first 10 with a friend I was pushing to PR and she not only shattered her PR but also finished about 30 seconds ahead of me - so very happy for her!!

Finished the day with a beautiful family birthday celebration and now I am ready to crash!!

Have a great week ahead my friends!!

denise

an amazing likeness

I'm only an occasional interloper in the daily conversation, but jumping in to share a bit on my run today...

Well, I have to say that today's Seacoast Half Marathon was run in weather you just do not expect in November. Instead of the expected cold, damp, grey and spitting rain or snow -- we were greeted with September temps (50F) and bright sky.  Even a tad warm at times as the sun came out.  The only hint of November was a stiff headwind in miles 5 - 6, and 11 - 12.

Spent some time chatting with our esteemed Coastwalker post race:  compliments as always for a race with excels in all dimensions -- organization of start and finish areas, course marshaling, and all the little things that make a difference: signage that is clear and concise, pre-race emails which are clear and have all the needed information, split clocks on course at all the right locations, and stunning views of New England.

Having run this race 6 times in its 11 year history, I expressed my usual "complaints", namely: something has to be done about that hill at 12.2 miles, and why, oh why, despite meticulous attention to running tangents can't I get this race distance to be even close to 13.1miles.

Jay and I checked in post-race to see if we could spot La Tortuga, but no luck -- very disappointing as I've treasured meeting RA masters the rare times it happens.

As to my race, I applied my recent strategy of 'run strong to 10mi, then fade to the finish' to best effect. This is not a good strategy.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hallar wow coming back from a broken foot. Nice to hear you are running again.

My SIL's dog Baxter nabbed 6th in the biathlon today. I was very happy to hear that since Baxter had been shut out in all of the other events. How good is 6th? Think of this as finishing 6th in the US Olympic trials and you have the general idea. While Baxter was showing off his stuff my DW and I flew home. Got to the baggage claim. Then waited over 40 minutes for our luggage to come out. Thank you Delta. At least they do not charge for handling luggage. Oh wait! They do charge and charge quite a lot!  This evening at home I decided to celebrate my BQ race time with some of my best bourbon. No, hally not that one! But one that is pretty darn good. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Head Procrastinator

Awwww, Matt open that one will ya? 

I have it on good authority that LaT did awesome at the Seacoast half, maybe she will expound on it tomorrow.

I rode my MTB today, saw some fun friends on the trails,  took a nice walk on a different trail after,visited a friend who is physically challenged and did some computer work for him and then attended a Geocaching event.

Bedtime, it's work day tomorrow.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy belated Sunday, all.

a slow 10K for me this morning.  Beautiful weather here and glad that Jay had the same.

Sent a FB message to Amy and she says she is good.  hoping for details.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Awwww, Matt open that one will ya? 

Yes, do it, but wait until I am there Smile

It seems like our stellar Rd,Coatwalker did it again. A great race experience for the participants.

There was a La Tortuga sighting at the race? How fun.

Great to hear that Aamos is doing OK.

I did run 11 slow miles this afternoon. I did enjoy the slow running gift.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

As to my race, I applied my recent strategy of 'run strong to 10mi, then fade to the finish' to best effect. This is not a good strategy.

Well done to the racers, and especially to Jay for all his hard work on putting on a great event!