Masters Running

Sat May 15 Runs - Races - and Workouts (Read 590 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run." (running really helped me out a lot, when I would be bummed out about being unemployed....running is such a great outlet and stress releiver....yes?)

Good morning everyone,

Don't know for sure who's all racin this weekend, but know for sure that Nancy and Tampster are......good luck Pretty Ladies 

I pretty much have all the details all worked out for my new job.....and we came to an agreement with my salary. This owner wants someone for the long haul - me too at my age now - and we both are going to spend the weekend making sure this is a good fit for both parties.....it will be I am sure. So Monday we will meet and then decide when I will start...the person I am replacing is not leaving till August, so there is no huge hurry to start, but we agreed right after Memorial Day would be a good starting date. Since my other job I took jerked me around soooo much, I will just let them pay me for another 2 weeks or so, then I will tell them because of their ineptness and unprofessional manner in which they do business, that I was tired of waiting and found a new job. So it looks like the LONG wait is over and I can get back with it. There are 3 Women that I will be supervising in the office......they really liked me . Along with managing the shop - estimating - quality control - dealing with Insurance Co's, and so on like I am used to doing.

Heading out pretty soon for a 16 miler or so, since this is my shorter LR weekend.....hopefully add speed work too. Then just one more real long run next Sat then taper for the 50K race with Holly 

Hope everyone has a Great Day and Weekend,

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Slo

Have a good run Tim

I just got back from a very easy 3.85. Now it's time to wash and vac the car, pack and head North.

Looking forward to meeting Jlynne !

Glad to hear your job situation seems to be cleared up Timbo

Have a nice run!

No run for me today, got to get ready for DD's college graduation today.  Legs are really feelng tired so hopefully the extra rest will take care of that.  

Good runs & great races this weekend everyone!!!

Very nice running weekend here in NE Ohio.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning All!

I'm up early for a little bit of running today.

Good racing and runs and happy Saturday!

Until later,

Francesca

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Somehow, I am VERY suspicious when Francesca says she's doing a LITTLE bit of running.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good Morning folks,

I am with you Stumpy, a little bit of running for Francesca probably means a marathon! Enjoy.

Good luck to maraposai who's dong a marathon today just for fun. Speedy paces to you Slo_Hand---you've trained well, now go for it. Good luck JLynne and all other weekend racers.

Just back from 8.4 miles with Dr. J and Canada J--sunny, breezy and beautiful out, a few walk breaks at Canada J's request as she's tired from radiation treatment (breast cancer). We will walk all the miles with her if she needs us to. I am just glad she wanted to get out for a run. 

Mulch, mulch, mulch later and who knows what else.

Enjoy the day

Dave59

Good morning.  I'm back from one of my better runs of the year.  I ran 11 miles and took 3 minutes less than last week's 10 miles.  Of course, last week it was cold and the wind would blow you over, while today it was sunny, 50, and beautiful.

I also seem to do better when I run shorter loops.  Today I did a 6.5 mile loop and a 4.5 mile loop.  Something in my mind handles that better than one long loop.  But I have to do the shorter loops on days when I am not likely to cut the run short.   In last week's weather I would have been tempted to stop if I came back around the house.

Clear and breezy here- wonderful out. 10.25 in 1:24:00 (8:12 m/m)....I tried to do my final 5k sub-23, as a nod to Dopplebock's staggering achievement.

Tomorrow I have a LR scheduled with CNY runner, so if this is my last post you'll know that she trampled me into the ground.

Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim – nice to hear your new job sounds like a great fit!

{{{Canada J}}}

Just when I thought I could sleep in before running, they moved DD’s game earlier, so up at 4:30 again to get my LR in first.  Early golf game with DH planned tomorrow, so today was better.

15 mile wave run, with miles 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 at (8:40, 8:16, 8:06, 8:12, and 8:31).  This was surprisingly speedy on legs that were still dealing with DOMS from Thursday’s lower body workout.  The speedy miles are supposed to be MP, HMP, HMP, HMP, MP, and even my best MP and HMP are 8:45 and 8:20-ish, so my paces were well ahead of my goals today.  VERY happy with this workout.

DD’s soccer team won 14-0 today, 2 of those goals being DD’s.  I had to pull my two best players off the field halfway through the second quarter and tell them not to score any more, but then other kids kept getting goals.  While I love that we have a winning team, this season we are as unbalanced as we were in the other direction last fall, when out team scored one goal the entire season. 

Good luck to the racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

You'll be fine Walt.  Just tie CNY's shoestrings together.  That'll help keep the pace manageable.

Good news on the Job front Tim.

Very nice run Holly!

21 miles at EZ 9:19 pace this morning.  I ended up with a nice inner thigh abrasion for some reason.  I wasn't wearing anything new so that's strange.  I managed only a couple of MP miles but I'm okay with that.  It was warm and humid even well before sunrise.  All downhill from here till Bayshore.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Very nice run for you, Holly! I'm happy you had a good run today. Always nice to be surprised by speedy miles when you aren't expecting it.

Yeah, when Franc says "a little running," I'm thinking ultra. Hope she checks in later to spill the beans.

Good luck to Slo and Jlynne tomorrow!

Walt, you'll be fine. I'm really envious of all the peeps CNYrunner gets to run with! Have fun you guys.

Good news on the job front, Tim. It's about time you give the other guys the boot. That situation was just too weird. Not sure what papers you might have signed on that agreement, but be careful that there wasn't a clause somewhere saying you can't do what you just did.

DS1 made the qualifiers for the 400m dash at the Track & Field Regionals prelims yesterday. He wasn't happy about that, really. He didn't want to have to go there today and spend his whole day at the track. Oh well. It's good for the team overall, even though he won't place high. He's just on the edge of "fast," and would be a contender if he put forth the effort but he's not that interested, I guess. I think he does it more for the social aspect. But they also have their last home game of soccer tonight, and will be honored as a graduating senior with three years of varsity play on the team. That he's more excited about. 

I'll try to fit in a run somewhere, but I'm finding with no marathon on the horizon, I'm lacking motivation.

#artbydmcbride

So jealous, Walt!  That you get to run with CNYrunner. 

I had a great time racing the Palos Verdes half marathon this morning..... I got to hug on huskydon, and got 3rd place in my division.  Smile    It was a beautiful morning, that course is as good as Big Sur anyday. 

Runners run

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Erika--CNY consults for universities, you work at one--can't you work out a need for her to come to Fairbanks?  Just wondering

Back to pump class after a week away and felt the quiver on a lot of the exercises.  A little cross-scooping (Max was a busy boy) and cross-mowing this afternoon.  I was thinking of a 5K tomorrow after my the first 3 of my 4 miles on Thursday were as fast as my 5K a month a go.  I'm happy with the progress, but I'm thinking 7 miles at a little more relaxed pace would be more practical.

Very nice long runs for a select group today.  Everyone else out still running?  Have a good rest of your Satrday

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Nice run Holly and Walt.  Good achievement for Holly's girls and for Erika's DS even if he is not that interested.  Soccer is pretty cool too.  I always loved team sports and could never imagine running X-country (boring!)  The people that did were weirdos.  Track was for the real athletes and I wasn't one.  Lots of skill, no athleticism.

Yesterday I had the exterminator guy here examining our small ant problem.  He had me doing all this yardwork before he would spray.  (I was thinking he should be paying me!)  I had to trim back bushes and trees touching the house, roof and along the ground.  So I asked him, "should I go do the whipper snipping now?", I get a blank stare.  "Should I go start the whipper snipping now?"  Blank stare.  Oh, "Should I go weed whack now?" (American speak)  Then he finally understood me and I had to explain it is called a whipper snipper in Canada.   He said I bet you also say "chesterfield", well my parents did that's for sure.

56F and climbing, breezy, painfully sunny and hot when not in the shade.

4.8 miles easy pace which seems to be coming down slightly so I'm happy with that.  Legs felt great today.

Deb - I was just tired after two nights of crappy sleep but I slept great last night - who doesn't on the weekend?

ETA- WTG Ilene!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Great running Holly! The speed is there. Great day for you.

Congratulations Ilene! Sounds like a great day for you and a fun time. 

Great idea Stumpy---an Alaska client would be awesome. Erika, we just need to compare conference/travel schedules or something and make it work. I'll be in CA a lot over the next months, but that's not close enough. 

And Walt...quit the sandbagging already! I'll have to open a can of...oh never mind.

Bill! Tie my shoelaces together???!!! Wow, and here I thought you were so nice. 

I ran indoor and outdoor track to stay in shape for cross-country and very proud of my weirdo status! My father used to wonder what the heck we did when we all disappeared into the woods. He'd yell things like: "Go Karin, finally we can go home! What'd you do, stop for a hot dog?!" always with great cheer and a smile on his face. He was a talented and whip fast hurdler and sprinter so anything over hill and dale seemed crazy to him. Running around in circles lots?bleh. I do love watching track meets though and Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah is still my all time favorite track athlete---gorgeous form over those hurdles

Good Luck to your DS Erika.

ETA:  Thanks for the hug for Judy Holly. She is a phenomenal woman and a fighter.

Amazing athlete as well----read this about her pre-running athletic life: 

http://www.waterski-wakeboard.ca/hof/judymesser.htm