Masters Running

Master's (formerly Evrday's) Subject of the Day (III) (Read 378 times)

Evr see a runner out running in the cold and the snow? Me too. I wonder what challenges these cold weather runners face? What joys do they experience? Where are their mothers? Does their daily running routine change because of cold or inclimate weather? Cold weather gear? Master tips for winter running? Inside workouts on the treadmill? I'm sure the subject has been discussed at length and there's a wiki or some thread buried deep in the running forum archives I could search for.....but that wouldn't be near as much fun now would it? Big grin
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      I think the only time I don't run due to weather is if the snow is too deep and the street hasn't been cleared. Even with ice I try to use my yaktrax. Bundle up. Of course, I don't live in Alaska. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I live in New Mexico. I don't know what Yaktrax are, but they sound like snow tires. We get snow and ice here but my most common wintertime opponent is wind. Consequently, my best allies are: 1. Knit gloves 2. Knit mittens for really cold days 3. Tights down to 32 degrees. 4. Good pants for below 32. 5. Cotton socks (I ditch the tech socks when it gets really cold). 6. Fleece cap 7. Wind briefs (best invention ever, IMHO) BTW, I just turned 40 in October, and thought I'd join the group. You guys look a lot younger in person. Wink
        Do bears bear? Do bees be?
          I think the only time I don't run due to weather is if the snow is too deep and the street hasn't been cleared. Even with ice I try to use my yaktrax. Bundle up. Of course, I don't live in Alaska. Smile
          Yes... I run in ever weather as well. - There is a certain joy to running in the pouring rain or a hard snowfall. You dress appropriately and your fine. I had a treadmill once, but got rid of it as I couldn't stand runing in one place.... Ray
            Nope, never have. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

#artbydmcbride

Welcome ajaxinacan! Big grin No snow here unless I drive up to the mountains to run. But it does get cold and sometimes rainy. I have a pair of long wind tights that have front panels that seem to be wind and water proof. I gave my treadmill away last May so this winter I will run out doors all the time!

Runners run

Renee the dog

Tip: Put your socks on the heat register while you are getting dressed. Feet will be happier. I HATE WINTER RUNNING AT THE COAST. (Yes, I'm yelling). The combination of strong sun and freezing cold wind that waxes and wanes means almost no run is comfy cause you can't dress properly no matter which way you choose to go. Too hot/too cold/too hot/too cold is the general experience. My best strategy is to get out early before the sun is a warming factor (yes, you read that right -- go out while it is colder) for a more comfortable experience. Or go after the sun has set. Oh, and skiing accessories are your friend. Big grin MTA: Ajax, welcome. I live about 40 mi south (yes, south) of the FAA Tech Center near Atlantic City.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

coastwalker

I HATE WINTER RUNNING AT THE COAST.
                  Yeah, it can be chilly and windy. But the winter ocean has a majesty all its own that is incredible to see during a workout, and is well worth the trade-off of having to deal with a little extra breeze. If the winds are howling, however, I'll favor more of an inland route.
                  My best strategy is to get out early before the sun is a warming factor (yes, you read that right -- go out while it is colder) for a more comfortable experience.
                  Getting out early works for me too. Except the temperature often drops another 2-3 degrees between 4 and 6am, so it's usually chillier at the end of my workouts than at the beginning. The only thing wrong with early workouts by the ocean in winter is that it is usually too early to catch the sunrise, and that's a shame. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BTW, I just turned 40 in October, and thought I'd join the group. You guys look a lot younger in person. Wink
                    Yeh, the internet makes you look 10 years older than you actually are! Welcome ajax. breger.....go ahead, rub it in! Big grin
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    DickyG

Well, I certainly don't live as far south as Bill, but it usually ain't all that cold in Virginia. Sometimes when the temps are below freezing and I'm bundled up, I'll run at the track...boring but as I heat up I can start throwing off caps, gloves, etc. and then not have to drive all over town looking for them. Yaktrax are cool..I've got some but only used them twice so far...they're like chains for your shoes. Suddenly a hot tubs sounds good... DickyG

Renee the dog

Yeah, it can be chilly and windy. But the winter ocean has a majesty all its own that is incredible to see during a workout, and is well worth the trade-off of having to deal with a little extra breeze. If the winds are howling, however, I'll favor more of an inland route. Jay
                        Oh I don't really mind the wind. I mind its inconsistency! I hate when it dies and then the sun starts broiling me. Then I discard some clothes to pick up later (it's really dead around here, so I leave them folded on the curb and no one ever takes 'em). Problem is a mile or two later, before I've made my turn back, wind kicks up again and I'm suddenly freezing! ggrrrrrrr Makes for some quick running back to the pile of clothes. Then, 1/4 mi after I've redonned all my gear, wind dies. Black eye I really prefer the cloudy days in the winter. That's generally my favorite time to run -- I can dress confidently knowing how it'll feel out there. As you note, though, these are nice problems to have, being by the ocean. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I want to be where Byll is. As I've said b4, I'll trade your H&H for scooping snow and sliding on ice. grins, A southerner trapped in a northerner's body.
                          Masters 2000 miles
                            Open Invitation to all of you. Anytime. Just let me know when you'll be here. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

I use yaktrax and run in the snow a lot. If the snow's too deep for running, I go skiing! Evryday, my mother is in Pennsylvania. What's she got to do with winter running? Cool

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

flatland mountaineer

When the snow is really deep use bigger shoes!!!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III