Masters Running

Get mentally prepared for your Spring Marathon (Read 200 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Here is a series of RR quotes compiled by DaveinAA in October '06. These should help drag you across the finish! From DaveinAA 10-28-206: Those goal races are finally here, and so are the race reports from the battlefront. No matter who you are and how much you train, whether your goal is to break 6 hours or go well under 3:00, the marathon is hard, so hard. Some very tough and inspiring runners brought their tales to the board last week. Then calf cramps slowed me to a crawl. I thought I was properly hydrating but I have concluded I was over-dressed and was perspiring at a much greater rate than I perceived. … After several attempts to stretch the offending muscles I mentally gave in to the distance and hoofed it home.--Dick McDermott (Whistlestop Marathon, 5:53) During mile 18, the cramps start coming and never stop. It is now no longer a game of trying to hold a faster pace at just below LT and at 'goal MP' (and HR is way lower than I'd hoped due to the body breaking down). The game is now to run as fast as I can before the leg locks up and cramps, then slow down, lengthen/shorten the stride and repeat. Let me tell you, this is a game that is not fun. It is taxing to no end. I'm reminding myself for the next 8 miles that it's only about an 'hour more', then only '1/2 hours more'... time goes by so slowly... I am now pushing up to the point of cramping as best as I can, but now I remember that marathons hurt...a lot. I suffered through the last 8 miles… --dtoce (Hartford Marathon, 3:15) By mile 18 I was starting to lose it again, just so tired and really without the will to try to push the pace. I really couldn't put any finger on the REASON I had to slow down, but just couldn't find the will to go faster. … Those last 8 miles were just a featureless, long haze, as I stared at the spot on the road 6 feet in front of me and just ground it out to the finish.--MM Hippo (VCM, 4:06) Shortly after that my quads began to tighten up and I could not work them loose. At 16 I stopped for a minute and stretched them, but it really did not help. I knew I was steadily losing ground but could not do anything about it.--tnally (Hartford Marathon, 4:15) Felt great and relaxed for the first 18 miles. Left quad tightened up really bad at 19. Had to stop and stretch. Tried to rub out the pain. No luck. Last 6 miles quad just plain hurt. --jjchaney (Columbus Marathon, 2:50)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

#artbydmcbride

Wow! Thanks for the reminders to respect the distance, perchcreek! As for me, when I start to get tired I am going to try to picture your smiling face! Big grin

Runners run

evanflein

Wow... sounds like 18 miles is the point to watch out for! Seems like my el-crappo mile is 21... but I tell myself it's just a 5 mile training run to the finish and get going. Sometimes it works... sometimes, not so much.