Masters Running

Sunday, Sept. 20 Runs and Smiles (Read 415 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Woods Lady – you are most definitely a runner.

Roch – nice 13.1 for you yesterday.

Ribs – congratulations on your post-surgery PR.  I knew the days when I could keep up with you would be short-lived. 

Jlynne – I may run 13.1 easily enough, but I don’t RACE 13.1 easily at all, so no, it’s definitely no walk in the park for me.  Yesterday kicked my butt. 

Eliz – good luck today!

7.1 easy-paced miles for me today in 64°.  Legs feel pretty good – tired, of course, but nothing hurts.  Life is good.

Off to church and errands and such.

Good luck to the day’s racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Holly and the others to follow ... nice race!  Too bad we didn't get to meet up due to the timing.

My race was ok ... finished in 3:41 after the pacer took us out waaaaay too fast through 7 mi (7:22 pace ... 3:13 pace)  when the target was supposed to be 7:38 ... so he took us out in HM pace!) After realizing he wasn't going to slow down to get on pace I let them go and still went through the half in 1:38:27 ... (the pacer went through it in 1:37:12 ... a 3:14 pace ... ugh ... what was he thinking!)

Still a BQ and I'm proud of the effort I gave during the second half especially due to the classic too fast of a start and then being sick all week (and still am).  It took a lot of heart to finish beginning at the 12 mile point and on.

Glad to see others are having success!  Nice race CNYrunner!

More to follow in a race report ...
      Amie

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Lots of GRETA racing yesterday!!    Congratulations Erika on the Equinox!!   Wow - little over 5 hours is so great!

Good job on your 1/2 yesterday Holly.   You are such a stronger competitor.

Amy - congratulations!!   Can't wait to read your full report. 

Congrats on your PR too Ribs!!  Big grin

DH did really well yesterday and brought in 10 big king salmon!   Not enough to win the money, but he was in the middle of the pack, which I think is great for his first time and competeing against all those big charter boats.   His top 3 weighed in over 47 pounds.

I have a batch of bottles in the kiln, so my run will have to wait a couple of hours.  

Have a nice Sunday everyone!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

Do you know that Va Beach is the largest city in Va.?  I leave for that town, home of jdmom, in just a few minutes.

Amie, very well done, and too bad about the dopey pacer.

Holly, you aren't serious.  My pace was only 7:48.  I know you can beat that in a fivek.

Thought I would be tired today after yesterday's race, but as you all know, sometimes those are the days when you have your peppiest runs. I got in 8 miles in 73 minutes.

Must be neat to live in the hopeful household.  They catch king salmon, melt bottles, breed dogs....   Spareribs

Tramps

Haven't had a chance to come by this week, so I know I've missed a lot.

After looking back at running log records, I decided my prolonged lethargy was likely caused by just too much mileage.  So I cut back and had an easy week, focusing on having a good run today.  I ended up with 21 miles @ 8:35.  That included 16 miles in the middle @ MP (<8:00) and a walking cool-down mile. I was pushing but felt much better than I have in recent weeks, so I was happy with that.  On the other hand, I'm pretty stiff so I'm not ready to do a full marathon at an 8:00 pace.

Hope everyone's doing well.

Be safe. Be kind.

So much strong running by so many strong runners. Looks like all the training is coming to fruition.

Ribs-I like your post-race surgery accolades (or is it post-surgery race accolades?)....It's well-deserved.

22.45 in 3:17:17, miles 10-21 at 7:39-7:50 MPish. 139/164 HR. The last mile or so involved jogging up the hill of my little township....it ascends 225 feet over that distance. That one I did at a 13 m/m....really took the wind out of my sail.

Tramps: are you running Philly in November? I'd love to do that.

Walt

spacityrunner

Beautiful day for a run here in the nations capitol.  Sun glistening off the Potomac, bikers, walkers, and familys out enjoying the day.  did 9 in about 1:50 for a 12:30 m/m.  it felt easy...just what I wanted.

Mr. ribs, congrats on your race.  Nice comeback!

Erika...wow!  Hope you had fun.

Hi Tramps, sometimes a rest week is just what the runner ordered! 

Looking forward to all the nifty race reports....

good runs and good day everyone

liz

Trails Rock!

Like Tramps, I've been absent here all week.  Just too much going on at work.

Congratulations to Ribs, Amie and Erika!

I decided to try something of a progression run today, but I wasn't able to hold on.  This is a very hilly course. As an example, I see from Garmin Training Center that at 16.8 miles I had 1.4 miles of steady climb from 319' to 489'.  That about killed me, and I never quite got it back.

Miles 1-5: 10:23 pace
                  Miles 6-10: 10:03
                  Miles 11-15: 9:41
                  Miles 16-20: 10:33 (oops)

In any case, I had one 16 miler, one 18 and two 20's this cycle, with two peak weeks over 50 miles.  That oughta be enough.  I usually do a 3-week taper, but I fell behind my intended schedule this year. So two weeks it is.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Wow.. really awesome running!

Congrats on th BQ Amie!! (very speedy!)

Trmps (21), Walt (22), PDR (20)... great efforts!

20.5 miles on the Rails-to Trails (American Tobacco Trail) in 2:49:22 (8:23 pace, AHR 153). The last few miles were MP'ish.  No music, hydrated about every 2 miles. no gu, no e-caps. Felt fine whole time except it got harder after mile 17 but then I realized my pace was getting faster too. Nice workout and knee held up.

This capped of a 30 mile weekend too!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Wow lots of really nice runs out there today!

Great racing, too: ribs, holly, cnyrunner, runningsmarter, and more I'm sure I missed.

RS what pace was the pacer supposed to be running? -- that stinks!

For me a relatively easy 16 miler:

16.2 miles, 2:22:04, 8:45/mi, AHR 147 (75% MHR)

5@9:08(137), 6@8:49(145), 5.24@8:18(157)

Time for a nap!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

How is the new ultra queen today?

stellar BQ for runningsmarter...any pictures of Holly and you at the race yesterday? ...I thought you can trust those pacers  Sad

tramps, great 21 miler with a hefty MP. Resting did the trick, righ? ... and you get a butterfly hug every time you rest Smile

Thanks for your sweet comments on my hiking report. I will post more pictures on Facebook.

14 miles with 12x2minutes at 8:12ish pace. I started out with an easy 6 miles just to make sure that the legs and heels were happy with me then I started doing the 2 minutes speed splay sandwiched with a 10 minute pace aveg. Hey my last 2 minutes was at 7:48 just to have a taste of the wiseone's pace yesterday in his 5k.

Off to church then to a 50th b-day party of a friend.

Hug someone today!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Congratulations, all you wonderful runners who ran races yesterday.   Bravo!!! to each of you. 

Eliz, thanks for the guote of John Bingham;   "The miracle isn't that I had the courage to finish:, it's that I had the the courage to start".   Love it, and have copied it off.   It applies to two areas of my life right now: runnng, and my goal of learning a very hard piece by Bach on the violin.  I am making progress on both. 

Tramps

I was just poking around on yesterday's thread great running this weekend, including nice racing from Erika, Jlynne, CNY, and Holly !  You can see marathon season is upon us.

And Ribs is back in the 1st place AG award limelight! 

Amie--great race!  I had a similar experience last year with a pace leader in Richmond and bailed after just 2 or 3 miles--and vowed never to use a pace group at the start again.

Walt--yes, I'm running BayState at an easier pace and targeting Philly as my "A" marathon.  We'll see.  (nice running today!)

Steve--you are running well.  You'll do great in Richmond.

Lou--slacking and napping. 

Ooo, a butterfly hug.  I'll have to rest more often.

Be safe. Be kind.

Just popping in to congratulate:  Holly on her HM, evanflein on her 50K, runningsmarter on the BQ, and Spareribs on his AG win!  Also, a second congratulations to him for doing it just one year after his operation!  It is simply amazing.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Ran a great 10K this morning, stretched it into a pretty good 10-miler, and but the problem was that the race was a HM!  

Still managed to achieve my goals for my first HM, though:  I finished, not last and healthy.  And the girl that used to despise racing genuinely had a good time, even if Holly's words of wisdom from yesterday about immodium will haunt me for the rest of my life.  Smile  (How's that for a RR teaser?)

Full RR this evening.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com