Masters Running

How a rainy, cold, slow, lousy, rotten, miserable, pathetic, carpy, first marathon of the year became one for the ages. (Read 361 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

2009 Dizzy Daze marathon/50K/50mi/100K - Green Lake (Seattle, Washington) March 28, 2009 - <40 degrees/rain.="" 109th="" marathon(99)/ultra(10).="" 6:40:00="" (est)="" since="" all="" the="" ultras="" around="" the="" pacific="" northwest="" are="" on="" rocky,="" rooty="" trails,="" when="" the="" rd="" allowed="" barefoot="" runners="" to="" use="" the="" inner="" paved="" pathway="" in="" the="" first="" annual="" dizzy="" daze="" 50/100k="" last="" march,="" it="" was="" a="" rare="" chance="" to="" try="" for="" a="" first="" barefoot="" ultra.="" in="" fact,="" i="" was="" hoping="" that="" this="" year="" might="" be="" a="" chance="" for="" the="" barefoot="" 100k="" some="" others="" in="" my="" runningbarefoot.org="" group="" have="" achieved="" in="" other,="" more="" barefoot-friendly="" parts="" of="" the="" country,="" or="" at="" least="" a="" new="" barefoot="" distance="" pr="" as="" much="" beyond="" 50k="" as="" possible.="" unfortunately,="" other="" parts="" of="" life="" had="" been="" so="" busy="" recently="" that="" i'd="" even="" had="" to="" deactivate="" a="" new="" facebook="" account="" just="" opened="" to="" try="" to="" stalk,="" .="" .="" i="" mean="" keep="" up="" to="" some="" of="" the="" missing="" too="" much="" goddeses=""></40><>faamos/arfie/soundie/hallie/dove/mustang/jura/ilene/econo)>>>) and certainly hadn’t permitted enough training for an ultra-marathon (only 7.75 miles in two runs since 2/14). Therefore, two days before the last minute, when the RD added a marathon option (and 50mi), it instantly became a challenging chance to see if the 13.1 mile training guideline* for non-competitive fitness runners not running for the clock that had started off all of my running years since 1978 would work for 7.75 miles too. However, starting off in a light drizzle, I wondered if even doing the 4:1 run/walk that former CR-goddess Jura had convinced me is okay instead of running all the way would be enough.** In particular, as the rain steadily increased to the kind of downpouring I had vowed several times before never to run in again, the kitchen timer I had set for the necessary walk breaks shorted out and I too was getting drenched by the end of the first 2.8 mile lap around the lake. Fortunately, I had stashed a pack of dry clothes at the start/finish tent in case the day’s forecast came true and I’d have to break my anti-nasty-weather vow again. First to come out was a quilted wind breaker to wear over the long sleeve tech shirt that otherwise would have been sufficient for a March marathon. Then followed a wool ski stocking cap and the ski gloves I hadn’t worn for running since the 2007 Seattle Marathon (and most recent anti-weather vow). With nearly invisible grains of sand on the paved course starting to feel like coarse sandpaper on my wet soles, I also put on the comfortable black thongs I’ve worn in other ultras on the trails and for rough-surfaced marathons. As conditions deteriorated, the 35 minute first lap settled into 40-45 minutes counting sometimes prolonged pit-stopping for themos cup of hot green tea and event fueling with brownies, oreos, pbj quarters, boiled potatoes and chips, gels, ClifBars, etc. I’d been worried about a little right knee twiggle in the last couple of months so I secured any extra movement with a snug knee brace. It prevented noticeable movement under the kneecaps until laps 7 and 8. Fortunately, shorter strides, . . . and some nearly half-mile walks between the now pond-sized puddles whenever Mr. Knee felt like getting out-of-kilter, set the stage for a joyous nonstop last lap. At nearly 6hr/40 minutes, it was one of my slowest marathons to date (current PR is 7:09:54 in 2005) but every single 50K’er had long finished their ultra-runs and, though I probably finished in dead last place by more than a glorious hour or two, a couple of volunteers were still sticking it out. However, they were very happy when I confirmed quitting at 26.2 miles. Me too. ps - 12 oz quilt jacket weighed nearly three pounds before I put it in the dryer afterwards. pss to francesca - thanks for your cheering encouragement as you'd overlap me on the muddy, wet outer course and in the aid tent. You looked like you could have run 200K. * - anyone who is in good physical shape anyway can run a marathon distance on the basis of being able to run 13.1 miles without stopping - The Runner Magazine (April 1978) . . . defunct sometime shortly thereafter. ** disclaimer - in no way associating Jura's splendid first marathon of four-and-a-half hours with my now five and sixes.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

You dear, poor, sweet, wet, soggy, bedraggled ol' fren... I'm always impressed with your outlook on things as you look back on these races. But really... I don't know of anyone who times their run/walk splits with a kitchen timer. Do you need a Timex or something??
        Dude running barefoot in that weather! You are seriously off your rocker! Big grin Congratulations on finishing a marathon barefoot in conditions that would have kept me home for anything but a destination goal race! You are waaaay tougher than I am.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Hi Tet, Yikes! I probably would have paid more serious attention to those anti-nasty weather vows! So congratulations to you for sticking it out, regardless of the minimalist training, of the weather, of what was underfoot, of what Mr. Knee was doing to you, and of the extra pounds of wet clothes you were carrying around in the later stages. It sounds like your last lap was a good one, and it makes any race better when you can finish strong. Congrats also on having marathon #109 behind you now! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

#artbydmcbride

{{{tetsujin}}} I am sending you a virtual hug...and a virtual hot toddy. Smile

Runners run

Tramps

Yuck. That's quite an experience. Kudos for hanging in there.

Be safe. Be kind.

tet, I admire your attitude towards running and racing. In taking on this race, barefoot as usual, and in nasty weather, you lived up to your reputation. Congrats on your tough marathon and great attitude. TomS
                Slo

Tet.....Amazing.....I'm in awe and awe inspired. Thanks for the report !
                    . But really... I don't know of anyone who times their run/walk splits with a kitchen timer. Do you need a Timex or something??
                    LOL, glad Erika said it, and not me! Wow, I had no idea you were going to do the dizzy daze. That is 3 Seattle gods and goddesses I knew there. I should have come over the bridge to lend some encouragement....but as you knew first hand, the weather was extremely sucky and I am just not that nice. If you still do 5K's, there is one in my neck of the woods on April26.... I promise much nicer weather. But, what an inspiration you are. Congratulations on another barefoot marathon.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

Hehehe. That was some day. Congrats on sticking with it. There is absolutely no way I could have stuck that out for 6+ hours. You and frankie are incredible.

PJH

I feel miserable just thinking about running in those conditions. Congrats for sticking it out and completing your 109th marathon! PJ
                        TammyinGP

oh my Jon. Only you. let's see, run 7.75 miles over the course of about 5 wks, not to mention your usual winter running in absentia, and then be ready to tackle an ultra. only you Tet. use a kitchen timer on your laps. only you Tet. a quilted jacket for running in the rain. only you Tet. you are magnificent Tet! Good running my fren! I ran 10 mi in the mix of sun, rain and sleet yesterday. But then I soaked in the hottub for about 45 min in the evening. Were you able to do the same?

Tammy

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Jon, quite a day indeed!!!! Coming out of your winter taper into such awful weather was remarkable.....I can vouch that while the running in those conditions is somewhat tolerable and keeps your limbs relatively warm, the walking stretches are the real killer ....I greatly admire your courage and persistance.......but after all....you've been my inspiration for the past year!!! So........see you at Mt. Si?......we still have a date at the finish line pending from last year!!!!! Again,Great Job Jon!!! Francesca
                            huskydon

Jon, Congratulations on a unbelievable effort. You just don't know when to quit, do you? Take care of that knee, and hope the next race is not so wet.
                                As if the quilted jacket, the kitchen timer, and the iffy knee weren't enough, you wore THONGS? That's worse than barefoot! There could be a movie made of this..you and Francesca co-starringShocked Great report!