Masters Running

Friday, Sept 25 Runs and Recoveries (Read 569 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Is no one going to start the thread today?

4.15 recovery paced (ave 10:48) miles for me today in a refreshingly cool 60°.

I can't tell you how happy I am to arrive at Friday.  Between work, soccer games and school, I've not gotten home until almost 9pm every night this week. 

DH and I are going to an alumni wine tasting event tonight at the community college.  This is the first time we’ve gone to a wine tasting, and it should be fun.  DH has become quite the connoisseur of red wines, and is looking forward to some new taste treats.

Btw, that apple cake recipe yesterday was Tammy’s recipe, just to give credit where due.  And, in spite of the fact that it came from Cooking Light magazine, a piece that is 1/12th of the cake is 281 calories, so don’t let that Light talk fool you.  /Besides, like Leslie said, who can stop with a 1/12th slice?

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!  Where is everybody today?

I had a nice 5.6 mile run after work yesterday.  I ran the first 3 miles fast, avg 9:23 pace, then another 1.5 a bit slower, 10:19 avg.  Then I went to pick up DD after play practice, but she called just as I was getting there and said they weren't quite done, so I ran another 1.1 miles while I was waiting for her.  My overall average was under 10mm pace so I was happy with the run.  55° and overcast, IRC! 

Happy Friday!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Holly, Have fun at the wine tasting. The sikrit...eat something light before you go there...drink water between tasting and you should have the time of your life. Also...people tend to dress up a bit for this kind of party...so...put on your girl power shoes and have a blast.

Rest day for my wings, I will do yoga and enjoy the day off. 20 miler tomorrow. Tonight is DS's Xcountry teams' carboloading feast at one of his teammate's house. I will make apple cake for the event.

Have fun you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Something is going on today folks, or maybe we just weren't invited. When I went out to do some errands after my run this morning, there was nobody in line at the post office (very unusual), and when I walked into the barber shop there was nobody there but the barber (also unusual). And now only 3 have posted ahead of me by 11AM?

Anyway, I had a great run this morning, doing 8.2 at roughly HM pace, wearing my HRM to see how various paces worked along the way. I really want to run so that I can enjoy the event, but fast enough to feel just a little competitive.

Good luck to the weekend competitors, if anyone else shows up here today.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly, have fun at the wine tasting!  I've never been to one, so I'll have to find out where they have them around here.

It was 55 and windy this morning, but my RP and I had a wonderful 8-mile run on a fairly hilly route.  I'm so happy that I don't call 8 miles "long" anymore!  I just have to keep reminding myself that I almost always feel carpy the first three miles or so.  My body seems to forget that, and every time I run, tries to make me stop!  Once I get to three miles, things go much better.  Does that mean I need to warm up before the HM next week??  That seems crazy since it will be hard enough for me just to finish the 13.1 miles.  Hmm.  Any advice?

I thought everyone decided to take the day off! Maybe on Friday mornings people are planning their EXCITING  weekends and forget to post.

7 miles for me in mahvelous running weather this morning. 55°, no wind or humidity and sunny skies. Just the way I like it. Finished up with 7 minutes (trying to work my way to 10 and more) jumping rope and some ab work.

Holly - sounds like you need some R&R after a very hectic week, and the wine tasting might be just what the doctor ordered!

Nice run this morning, Roch. I like your thoughts about running for enjoyment yet still being competitive.

Enjoy your rest today, Butterfly lady. Do you get to carb-load before your long run tomorrow?

Carolyn - hope your snow is all gone. It's not even October yet!

Tomorrow is the big craft show. Keep your fingers crossed that the rain holds off.

Happy Friday everyone.

dg.

good morning!

Holly, have fun tonight.   9 every night?  I'd be exhausted.   Will you get a break this weekend?

Hi Carolyn.  Have you tried your habanero sauce?

Nancy I'll be thinking of you during your 20 miler tomorrow.   Then you can lend me your wings for Sunday.  deal?  Smile

Doug, just like in the movies.   empty streets.  eeerie.  

Teresa, I'm in no position to give any advice on that... but what is your goal?  Could the first 3 miles just be your warm up?

nice running this morning, ya'll.

I'm happy with my run too.   I thought it was supposed to be 9 miles because I still can't add, realized when I woke up that the plan asked for 11.  2 miles w/u & c/d, & 7 at half marathon pace.  This morning I decided to pretend that was 9:30.   It turned out ok!  I didn't stop the polar for water stops, but did for a shoe change (will explain later) & a pit stop.  av. pace 9:44, max 8:17.  Here are the miles..  10:15, 9:53, 9:29, 9:29, 9:37, 9:38, 9:32, 9:34, 9:48, 9;43, 10:11.  I know, I was all over the place (& didn't quite meet the target) but less than I usually am.  ;-).  I went mainly by feel, but did look at the pace regularly.  w/u & c/d were faster than my recovery pace, ... going that slow seems to make the rest harder.

back to work. more later.

happy Friday!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, Have fun at the wine tasting. The sikrit...eat something light before you go there...drink water between tasting  

But won’t that get in the way of my buzz?    

Jlynne – good luck at your show!

Dg – much quieter this weekend, the only big plans are one soccer game on Sunday afternoon and my last big LR on Sunday morning.  Of course, I have all these errands to run, and the grocery shopping, etc.  But Saturday night is marked off as a “veg in front of the TV” night” – we DVRed  the 2-hour season premier of House to watch.  BTW, very nice run!  But why are you running 11 miles today?  Isn’t your 20-miler Sunday?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Hi everyone!

Got in a 5.2 mile run, in 50:08, last night. It was nice and cool at about 80 degrees!  Busy day today so no time for running. working all day, then will watch my son's football practice from 5:30 to 6:45, then off to watch the highschool's first home game after that. This will be the highschool that my son will go to (and where he has aspirations of being the star football player someday). And then tomorrow a.m. he has his football game and of course, there's football games to be watched all weekend too. good thing I like this game.

Will go donate blood on my lunchhour today.  Sunday we have some out of town family visiting so will have a family dinner at my mom and dad's, so will likely need to find the time tomorrow to get my long wknd run in.

have a good weekend everyone. Good running, biking, swimming, vegging to you all!

Tammy

evanflein

Holly, have fun at the wine tasting. Forget the water and food tips, just enjoy the wine! Heh, just kidding... are they offering the wines for sale? Oftentimes there are some good prices to be had so take your time and find something you wouldn't normally buy... you might find some very good deals. We used to go to wine tastings a lot, but we cut back as part of our general pulling-back-the-spending efforts. Some of the events around here are really big and crowded, and you have to map out what you want to try first or they might run out. Also, start with the lighter whites, move to the reds. Just some ideas... I prefer the smaller sit-down events now. Got to calling those bigger affairs "combat wine tasting" and not so much fun.

When's your race, Doug? Good luck with it, when it happens. Nice to see you running so well, btw. Seems like you were down for quite a while with hamstring problem or something like that.

Of everybody's races coming up this fall, I'm most excited for Deb and her marathon! I think you're going to do really well with this, not that it'll be easy (don't know that they ever get "easy"), but you'll have a great feeling afterwards! Ok, that's all I'm gonna say, don't want to jinx anything.

Took my car in for tire changeover to winter tires this morning. Service guy just called and said "you need two new tires, I won't put those old ones on!" Rats, I knew that, but had forgotten about it. Shoot. I wasn't planning on spending $325 today on the car, but I guess it needs to be done.

I'll RAL, maybe run down to pick up the car later. DS1 has his last XC meet today at 4... JV Regionals. I'm sorry he won't be running much anymore, but I know he's relieved to be done with the daily practices. Now he can work on getting his grades back up!!

Mariposai

jlynne, you bit. I am already starting the carbo-loading at lunch time when I take DS out  for a lunch date Smile

Holly....listen to me....my way you can taste more and still be able to do a LR next day Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - my LR isn't until Sunday, so I'm cool....

But seriously, I won't be going overboard too much anyway.  What with trying to get down to my "racing weight," I'm trying to keep my empty calories to a minimum.  Well, sort of.

Erika - thanks for the tips.  I don't know if they offer wine for sale or not, but if they do, I'm sure we'll find something to take home.

dg.

But won’t that get in the way of my buzz?    

Jlynne – good luck at your show!

Dg – much quieter this weekend, the only big plans are one soccer game on Sunday afternoon and my last big LR on Sunday morning.  Of course, I have all these errands to run, and the grocery shopping, etc.  But Saturday night is marked off as a “veg in front of the TV” night” – we DVRed  the 2-hour season premier of House to watch.  BTW, very nice run!  But why are you running 11 miles today?  Isn’t your 20-miler Sunday?

Holly, ... your version of much quieter makes me tired.    .   thanks!  I forgot to say that I even had a little kick at the end (trying to do that when I remember & when I have it) .. just .10 miles but at 8:35.    yes, Sunday is my 20 miler.  I wondered a little myself, but it is "the plan",  & I already did less yesterday, and so, well, I did it.  As much as I read all about this, I still don't have a good enough understanding of the adaptation process to second guess.. except, of course, caution is always a good thing.

Ok, shoes.  I mentioned that I didn't have shoes for the marathon... my newer Frees are a possibility, but I also ordered Newtons over the phone from the company.   They are very helpful, & got them to me quickly.  It is ok to run in them outside... no questions asked return policy.  (just not in mud Wink ) .    I wore them for 4 miles & changed to my Frees.      soooo.    well.   we didn't talk color.    want to see them????   ok.

They're pink.  They're really pink.    oh my. 

mta,    Nancy, what are your favorite carbs to load with?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, my, is right!!  DD11 would love those! 

Yee Haw! dg and I have the same Newton sneakers. I have the hot pink racing flats and LOVE them for races less than marathon distance. You will feel sleek dg and people will notice, so wear them with joy. Check my profile photo and you'll see. They'll give you ZOOM dg.

I thought I had posted today's run, but spaced on that....11.3 miles this morning at 5:45 and 44º, crisp and clear and humidity gone...felt zippy on the tempo portion. 3 miles wu/5 miles at 7:10-7:15 pace/3 miles cd...as I turned onto my street (live on a cul de sac set back from road and up a hill) I saw two black bears just ahead crossing over to the wetlands area. Well Hello! I jogged in place until they were out of sight and scurried into my house. They are getting ready to sleep and out foraging a whole lot right now. That was an adrenaline boost. I see 5-10 a year anyway, but still...

Good running here today with plans for weekend jaunts and some playing too---wine tastings are fun. No wine for me for awhile now, but I'll take recommendations for the glass I plan to enjoy on October 5. :-)

Happy Friday all