Masters Running

East Coast Thursday Up & At 'Em: 11.21.13 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

1 week to turkey trots and fests...

I use Facebook sparingly, and mostly to promote organizations/races. My only comment is that you should assume that whatever you put anywhere on FB will be seen by the whole world. So if you want something to truly be private, communicate it somewhere else.

Good luck with the new phone, Twocat. Nice run on the Mariposai Memorial Route. Any run by the water is a good run.

Good luck and have fun with the new job, Tramps!

Nice surprise on one of your favorite routes, LaT.

Sounds like fun (but tiring?) time with the GS, Tselbes.

Stumpy, I haven't done the Maine Coast Marathon. But if they had a half, I'd be right there!

Last night's meeting (#3) was a Planning Board meeting that included a public hearing for 2 Impervious Surface warrant articles we are proposing for our 2014 Town Meeting (where residents vote on budget, zoning, and other issues). We have some serious flooding and water quality issues in town, and one way to address them is by reducing the percentage of impervious surface per lot (it's complicated, but that's the quick explanation). Both of the warrant articles got approved by the Planning Board, but not without some 'interesting' discussion.

5.6 miles at 4:20 in 22F temps under a moonlit sky adorned with wispy clouds sailing along. I ran the first 2 miles, then switched to racewalking. That switch is always a bit discombobulated because everything changes including muscle movements, body usage, means of propulsion (meaning using arms more and legs/feet differently) and even perceived ( as well as actual) speed across the ground. So it took me a while to get into a good racewalking rhythm, but once I did, I sailed along.

We're getting some firewood delivered this afternoon, so it looks like I'll have a good cross-training op.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Not that you see a lot of folks at O dark 30, but do people that know of you do a double take when they see you running?

As Jay said, a nice brisk morning in NE.  4 miles instead of the 5 that I planned, due to one extra snooze cycle in the nice cozy bed.  Realized why when I got back after showering and the bedroom thermometer showed 55°.  A little chilly even for us.  Still a little bit of speed in the air with a 9:15 pace.

Enjoy the new adventure, Tramps.  I haven't done the job change too often--lasted 22 years at my first company and just passed my 10 year anniversary at my "new" place.  Hoping to hit double decades here, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

We’re not going to get into East Coast/West Coast gang wars are we?  I’d hate to go the way of Tupac or Biggie.

Jay and Stumpy—thanks.

We try to teach students about the perils of TMI on Facebook (which is declining in popularity among this age group) and other sites.  For all the talk of “digital natives” they can remarkably naïve about what is and isn’t private.  And the technology’s constantly changing.  One example: there’s now pretty sophisticated facial recognition software targeted at employers that can do a photo search of a prospective job applicant.  1) Find the applicant’s Facebook page and pull down an image of them. 2)  The software sends bots across the web to find other likely photos of them.  The picture of you in a goofy Halloween costume that your cousin Frank posted on his Flickr stream?  Got it. That embarrassing photo that your friend posted via Instagram of the night you got totally wasted?  Yup.  They all can potentially turn up even if they’re not things you posted, even if your name is not attached to any of them.  And forget about deleting things.  It’s likely Archive.org has already got it.

EZ 5 on another chilly morning....just the way I like it!

Be safe. Be kind.

My guess is that over time inappropriate for a job interview photos will be so common in the population that employers will just ignore them.  For now, I think it is mostly an issue for the 40+ crowd.  We seem to mistake taking an old paper photo, making a billion or so copies and scattering them about the world with what we see on the internet.  At the same time, when I do not want the world to see or read something I keep it off the internet and that includes email, SMS or any other form of electronic type written communication.

Interval day today.  Last speed work prior to the marathon.  On dock was 6x1000m @ 5k pace.  I pretty much hit it through all 6 intervals.  But I can tell you at the end of #6 I was spent!  I so wish that I could pull off tempo runs like so many do here.  Black eye  I just cannot get my body to do them, so speed work and MP stretches in long runs it is.  That and as many tempo pace length races as I can find!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

One example: there’s now pretty sophisticated facial recognition software targeted at employers that can do a photo search of a prospective job applicant. 

I tell DS#2 this all of the time. He likes the "F#&% sensitivity" website and pastes their stuff on his FB page all of the time. When I remind him that employers look at FB, he look at me like I'm from another planet. But then he wonders why he keeps putting in for promotions at the company he works for and never gets them. Coincidence??

Congrats on the new job Tramps. Hope you really like it.

5 miles with the Y girls yesterday. We take off at 5:15 and run a trail that's close to the Y. Pitch black and already a little slippery in spots. And yesterday one of the dog walkers left a plastic bag filled with doggy droppings right on the path Dead Really? Come on folks, it's not like there's garbage cans every half mile or so.  5 miles solo this morning. I'm trying to enjoy these last few days of warm weather. The forecasted HIGH temps for the weekend are 20 to 25°

Bought a new pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 9's yesterday and took them out for their maiden voyage today. The manufacturers are sure coming out with some funky colors these days. The guy at my local running store was pushing to sell the bright orange ones but I opted for the more calm black with turquoise trim.

Have a great day everyone.

Interval day today.  Last speed work prior to the marathon.  On dock was 6x1000m @ 5k pace.  I pretty much hit it through all 6 intervals.  But I can tell you at the end of #6 I was spent!  I so wish that I could pull off tempo runs like so many do here.  Black eye  I just cannot get my body to do them, so speed work and MP stretches in long runs it is.  That and as many tempo pace length races as I can find!

Ummm, maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but Tempo pace is typically defined as 10K to HM pace.  If you're trying to do your Tempo runs at 5K pace you're doing them too fast.  That is speedwork - which is fine, but a different purpose.

Having said all this, when I do my Tempo runs at 10K pace I'm always spent afterward.  HMP Tempos too!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Bill may be spot on about these workouts being too fast TC.

Good luck Tramps.

My logic on the FB and internet thing is that because of my age (67) and the kind of work I do, I don't really care what's out there, nor does anyone else. I mostly write about running.  I'm not applying for jobs, etc., but I do see how it can affect younger people.

5 miles at MP this morning, totally by accident. I said to my RP when we were done, "That felt a little fast."  Spareribs

breger1 and Spareribs I was doing speed work.  I am not sure a 1000 meter tempo run would be of much use!  Especially with the 90 second jogs I had between each of them.

What I wished is that I could get myself to do tempo runs, yes something like 10k to HM pace for a few miles.  I saw one workout that had you start at MP and work down to HM pace by speeding up a bit every mile or so. If I give a tempo run a shot I may start there since at least I know I can pull off the MP start.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

When I remind him that employers look at FB, he look at me like I'm from another planet.

Maybe forward this link?

"CareerBuilder also asked employers why they use social networks to research candidates, and 65% said they do it to see if the job seeker presents himself or herself professionally....A third (34%) of employers who scan social media profiles said they have found content that has caused them not to hire the candidate. About half of those employers said they didn’t offer a job candidate the position because of provocative or inappropriate photos and information posted on his or her profile; while 45% said they chose not to hire someone because of evidence of drinking and/or drug use on his or her social profiles. Other reasons they decided not to offer the job: the candidate’s profile displayed poor communication skills, he or she bad mouthed previous employers, made discriminatory comments related to race, gender, or religion, or lied about qualifications."

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

On the plus side (of the internet), DD2 got her latest job when a recruiter found her on LinkedIn.

5.57 gray miles for me.  Mid-Michigan is gray a lot.  But the run felt great.  I am going through some tedious stuff at work and my brain starts to fog over.  Testing every possible scenario to see if I break some new software (that I wrote.)  The run helps blow out the cobwebs.  You so want your own code to succeed that it's hard to push yourself to test it fully.  But I am trying to get it as good as I can before turning it over to the users to test.

DW started the "Couch to 5k" thing last night.  First she went to the running store and bought some shoes and then down to the basement for day 1.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tramps - not that lawyers have anything to hide or anything like that but the law library had a class for attorneys on “losing your trail” yesterday that included archive.com and links to anonymous search engines.  The former retrieved a long lost photo from a URL that I thought had disappeared into cyberspace forevermore when the URL was revised last summer. However, with regard to searching anonymously, since I’m working for myself, I guess it’s okay if I found out that I was searching in the middle of the day when I was supposed to be pretending I’m working. Oh well.

is that what you teach?

Ixquick.com
                        www.duckduckgo.com
                        ps - amongst today's annoying teasers smoothering aol users' opening web page

was one about fish, spinach, onions, orange juice, curry, etc. reducing knee pain.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/knee-pain/knee-pain-what-to-eat.aspx?xid=aol_eh-pain_3_20131118_&aolcat=ESO&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D408872

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Because I have kids, grandkid's, cross country kids, etc, as friends on Facebook, I 'me pretty careful about what I say...so if somebody wants to check up on me, I think they would find me pretty boring.  Of course...my real life is pretty boring, too...

Speaking of tempo runs...shoot.  I have to go back to work...I'll tell you about it later.

Marathon Maniac #957

DW started the "Couch to 5k" thing last night.  First she went to the running store and bought some shoes and then down to the basement for day 1.

The basement couch?  Smile

DS is in JSA at school (Junior Statesmen of America) and there is a fall conference in Cincinnati he and his club members will be attending this weekend, with an overnight at a hotel.  He actually invited me to come along as a chaperon, which tickled me pink.  (My teenage son still thinks it's cool to hang out with mom.  Surprised)  They will be participating in a mock Congress, each school trying to get their bills passed.  I think it will be very interesting, and am looking forward to it.

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 41 degrees and light rain.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

I'm with you Mike. My FB is pretty boring and I tend to keep things lite. Someone once told me "Don't put anything online that you would be ashamed to have your grandmother see/read." Seemed like good advice.

3.1 miles today. Legs were heavy after yesterday's workout and I have Monkey coming up. I have more excuses ready if needed. Just let me know.

Jay ran and stumpy is referencing Rapper wars. Oh boy.

A "you know you're getting older when" story for me. I work from home when not traveling and it's nice to have some "white noise" around. Usually this is soccer matches I've taped (yeah I know but work with me here) or the music channels (no not MTV or VH1) where I can listen to lots of variations. We recently changed to DirectTV and they have music channels as well only many more than Uverse. So I'm looking around and find a channel called Flashback/New Wave which is what I frequented in college. The tag line on the info was - This channel is for those of you who remember when MTV had VJs and music. Hahaha. Nice to be able to go back in time a bit. Oh and the kids came down yesterday and started asking more about artists like Bronski Beat, Echo and the Bunnymen, Adam Ant, The Cure and Depeche Mode.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave, good luck to Cindy in C25K.   Does she have any friends who are doing it too.  I suspect that would help with the motivation.  Twocat, I'm not good on the terminology but I call anything that's repeated speedwork.  Good job.

This morning, it was in the high 30s and there was a little wind.  I did 4 miles at a 10:50 pace.

My brother in law sent a funny message to my wife today.  Two old guys were sitting in a bar and one said to the other, "Look at those two old geezers over there.  That's us in 10 years".  His buddy looked at him and said, "You dummy, that's a mirror".

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS