Masters Running

Mon Dec 21 Post Blizzard Runs and Workouts (Read 423 times)

Well, post-blizzard for some of us on the East Coast anyway Smile

3.2 miles, 29:44, 9:24/mi, AHR 136 (66% MHR)

They finally plowed late yesterday.  Very icy in places - mixture of a bit of dry pavement, mostly packed snow,  a bit of slush, and the ice - should have used yaktrax.  Not sure if I'll be able to run fast on this surface later this week.

A couple of pics from yesterday's run...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning Lou. Wow - that looks like a wicked storm. Beautiful pictures though. Don't you love it when the sun comes out after a big snowstorm and everything looks so white (after you get over the pain of back-breaking shoveling  Are you guys all set for baby Nate?

Yep - you have to be careful on icy streets, especially in the dark. I ran 4 outside yesterday with Yaxtrax and it was a tough go. Some parts of the streets were cleared, others it was like hurdling over ice-packed ruts. Today I decided to be a wimp and go to the Y. 4 miles, 9:21 pace with some ab work.

Spent yesterday wrapping presents, making candy and cookies and watching the Packers lose to the Steelers on a last second play. That really hurt. The good news was that I got to watch the loss with baby Will on my lap.

Tselb - glad your DW's surgery went well.

Twocate - great pictures yesterday. Stay out of those snake infested waters!

Eliz - glad you're having fun in your YaxTrax.  Way to tough it out and make it to your performance over the weekend.

Holly - where's my English toffee? Or, how about the recipe instead?

Hope everyone is shoveled out from the big storm. Have a good day good people.

Slo

Recovery Set Back....

I'm hurting after yesterdays run. Not good.

Just back from the pool, good work out.

Great Pics WRFB !.......Hope you had some hot chocolate waiting after your runs.

Jlynne.....Last nights game.....'nuff said....

I better finish getting ready for work.....Short week !!!!

dg.

quick rest day post.  

Lou what cool pictures!  they make my knee hurt (literally) just looking at them.. PDR I said this already but it's really great that this didn't hurt.    Tough to run in but it sure is beautiful.

morning Jeanne!   I meant to mention yesterday... I took an embarrassing amount of stuff with me for my LR... I take ice packs, fluid, food, extra warm things, dry workout clothes for the gym, stuff to go home in which has to include dry jackets,  blah blah  blah.  I always hope no one is looking when I trudge out to the car.  But yesterday, what did i forget?  yaktrax.     Give Will a kiss for me!

Woke up this morning stepped out of bed and OUch!

My left foot is very sore . I do have a bone spur on that foot that enflames every once in a while and while it kind of  feels like that the pain goes all the way into my toes. Plantar issue probably. I am not sure what happened but I believe it is because of an 8 miler yesterday on the snow and ice and this being my first longish run in these conditions this year My feet are planting funny and caused this inflamation? I duuno but I am pretty sure no running for a few days for me. Hopefully this will be a short term issue and not a SF or something longer term. I was just getting back into a groove.

Lots of snow out east. We have missed most of the big stuff so far this year and thats OK with me.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

That's exactly what Michigan looked like the previous weekend.  Beautiful pictures.

DG, did you take along your personal Port-a-potty as well?  Geez girl ...

Ryan Hall will be at the ING Miami Marathon and Half in January.  He'll be signing autographs at the expo also.

During my 5K on Saturday, I followed a strong, smooth looking runner for much of the race.  He looked to be running way too easy.  So I decided to try to keep with him and pick him off.  With about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile to go I did so.  As I approached the finish he went sailing by me as if I was standing still - and chuckled at me as he did so.  I tried to keep up but he was way too fast and smooth.

I got the last chuckle on him however.  He's 31.  I've got 26 years on him.  Heh.

3.5 easy miles this morning.  Tinman is running me easy through the end of the year.  Then bring on the hillage!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Lou - nice pics!

Jlynne - sorry to hear about the tree catastrophe - hope it is still standing.  Love the Santa baby!!

{{{Slo and Hallar's foot}}}}

DH and Ispent yesterday digging out the white stuff - we had at least 20".  DH tried the snowblower, but it was futile, so he had to crank up the tractor.  It still took him over 4 hours to clear the driveway.  It only took me an hour and a half to clear the front walkway, front porch, deck and concrete pad at the walkout door.  I earned the scones I made after I warmed back up.

We probably could have done our long runs on the trail Saturday, but we were worried about the incoming snow, and it was really windy.  So, 18 miles on the treadmill - the last long run before Disney.   6 easy treadmill miles this morning @ 10:12 and 144 AHR. 

OK, I didn't see the request for the Santa hat, but here's Jesse in the snow (it was well over her shoulders in places, and I had to shovel a spot so she could do her business) and on the treadmill....

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Eliz wrote:

Took the Yaktrax out for their first test run around the neighborhood......I LOVE THEM!!!  I practically tried to fall down on every kind of surface from dry pavement to slick ice to packed snow and everything in between.  Where have they been all my life?  My hope of doing every training run for this marathon outdoors may just happen now that I'm Super Yaktrax Girl.

I don’t have any Yaktrax, since most of the winter we seem to have pretty clear roads, but you just about have me talked into getting a pair - they sound great!

Twocat - I love the pictures!

Mariposai – Billy Joel was one of my first music loves, too.  I had his greatest hits on 8-track tape when I was a teenager.

Breger – congratulations on 1st AG in your 5K Saturday – great racing!

WRFB – beautiful pics!  Quite a workout, running in that stuff.

Jlynne – funny story about the English Toffee.  My DH’s aunt in California makes it, and when we were visiting once we had some, and I asked her for the recipe, but she would not give it out.  Apparently she was one of those “recipe-hoarders” – I have no idea why.  Maybe she was afraid that I would show up at the same gathering with “her” English Toffee?  All the way from Ohio?  Anyway, DH’s sister wrangled it out of the aunt and passed it on to me, and I’ve been making it every Christmas ever since.  I have no compunctions about posting a great recipe, so I’ll post it on a separate thread for you.

{{{Halllar’s foot}}}

Sue – 18 miles on the TM – youch!  And Jesse is a beautiful dog.

2 recovery miles on the TM today @ 10:10, followed by some light x-training: front raises, reverse flies, bench dips, leg lifts with ankle weights, face-up and face-down, lunges, bench step-ups, a 12-minute 6-Pack Abs video, and 7 chin-ups.  I am up to being able to do 3 chin-ups in a row.  (What a weakling, I know...)

Judging from the tight waistband of my pants, I overindulged on the toffee and wine (and maybe last week's cookies had something to do with it, too).  Time to ease up on the overeating for a few days....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

During my 5K on Saturday, I followed a strong, smooth looking runner for much of the race.  He looked to be running way too easy.  So I decided to try to keep with him and pick him off.  With about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile to go I did so.  As I approached the finish he went sailing by me as if I was standing still - and chuckled at me as he did so.  I tried to keep up but he was way too fast and smooth.

I got the last chuckle on him however.  He's 31.  I've got 26 years on him.  Heh.

Bill

This brought a huge smile on my face. Way to show off BQByll. I am proud of you.

Sue, 18 miles on the TM would be a torture, but if you have a good movie on, then it is  another story.. Nice looking dog you have there.

Great picture Lou. It seems like your running route is hilly.

{{{hallar}}} I am so sorry to hear about your sore foot.

slow_hand....not good to hear that you are still hurting.

jlynne, you are no wimp...you are just wise.

Holly, where is my toffee???

dg, are you finished with your Christmas shopping?

As for me, 4 easy recovery miles at dawn. I just realized that I passed the 2,000 mile mark for the year a while back. I should be able to get to 2100 by the end of the month.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Whoa, I have some catching up to do.

Just back late last night from Florida.  Sigh.  Watched all the snow news in shorts, ran a marathon in shorts and singlet.  After decades of being in the middle of that kind of news (used to live in Mich., Mass., Minnesota, and now SD), it was a first to be a participant.  Ran on the beach one day then plunged into the ocean for an A1 cool-down.

Sue, Jesse is gorgeous. 

Hallar and Slo, fast healing to you both.

BQill--If you ever have cause to be in the Orlando area, check out the National Training Center in Clermont.  The race was put on by that organization, and while there were no big hills, the entire course seemed to be rolling hills.

Congrats on the AG 1st!

Mari--high fives for passing 2000.  That's my goal, but I won't make it this year by a couple houndred.  Good work!

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                      evanflein

Hey Aamos, I can't believe you don't have 2,000 for the year! That was my big goal, too, but I had to let it go. I'm just over 1,800 for the year and don't see me getting a whole lot more the next couple of weeks. Nice marathon for you! This will be the first year in a few that I haven't gone somewhere warm and sunny for a mid-winter race. It's a nice break, isn't it.

Slo, so sorry to hear about the setback. Same spot? Over did the return to running a bit or something else? I hope it's just a minor thing...

And Larry! argh more foot problems. I hate foot problems. Mainly because you just can't stay off your feet! Well, I guess you "could" but it's not easy. Hope it clears up soon.

Byll, that's funny. He may have chuckled as he passed you, but you were holding your own with him there for awhile. High 5 for putting the heat on the kid. (heh, calling a 31 year old a kid...)

Oh that picture of Jesse is adorable! Sue, she's very much a glamour girl with some striking markings. She does look happy to be trotting along on that treadmill. I wonder what goes on in their heads when they do that?

Beautiful pictures from Twocat and WRFB... totally opposite environments! Careful running in that snow, you guys. And glad to hear Twocat isn't going to be croc-snack on his trip.

Holly, you can keep the toffee. I love it... but I've got to cut back. Holidays or no, I'm not buying new pants! My "fat jeans" are hard to zip these days...

So good to hear an upbeat post from Divechief! Welcome back, Dave. I know you've been through some pretty gut wrenching stuff, but we're all here for you. Please be a regular and let us know how you're doing. I read Stevie Ray's write up on Bataan... very impressive.

I'm so tickled to have run over 20 miles last week! Funny thing... I'm always experimenting with the insoles. Over the years I've accumulated quite a collection... some work great, others not so much. Well, I've had some sorbothane arch support insoles for awhile, got them for my Nike Pagasus that I tried a year or so back. Nice shoes but more like bedroom slippers... felt like they had absolutely no support in them at all. The arch-insoles seemed to help, but I mostly use those shoes for gym workouts. For yesterday's run, I took the right arch-insole out of the Nikes and put it in my old Speedstars. Left the left insole alone. So... off I go with mismatched feet. Worked great. I tell ya, this is a work in progress, but that seemed to work out pretty well.

Gym workout at lunch, pool run after work. That's the plan at least.

Tramps

Happy solstice!  Our holiday tree has a big smiley gold sun on top, beckoning longer days.

Nice weekend long runs from Karin and Holly and dg other folks!

Carolyn—our dogs are quite old and I don’t run with them, which is why I never mention them.  I do feed them at the end of morning runs though; it’s part of my cool-down.

Divechief—great to see you back and signing up for Bataan (Rosie and Ralph ran this, too, as I recall).  My wife has Kahtoola-like devices from her winter hiking days.  But those babies are big!  I never thought of them for running.

Twocat—great photos the last few days!

Byll—excellent 5K and funny comment today!

Eliz—it’s remarkable that your concert went ahead in that storm.  It must have been something special.  You’ve got me thinking about investing in Yaktrax, too--but then again, we so rarely get this kind of weather.

Walt—an excellent 5K for you, too! 

TomS—glad to hear your wife’s knee surgery went well but sorry to hear about the arthritis.

Erika—your comments about throwing snow out for the plow brought back memories from my NH days; it was always a fine line!  And brrrrrrr (-20).  Glad to hear you hit 20 miles for the week.

PDR and Lou—sounds like we got similar snowfall, but you’ve got much, much better services (and a snowblower!)  Isn’t that cheating?    Be careful out there.  Nice pics!

Slo—be careful.  Hope this is only a brief setback.

Hallar—same for you; take care of that.

Sue—funny treadmill puppy picture!

Mari—woo hoo on the 2000+ year!  Congrats.

Aamos—funny to think of you in Flordia during a snowstorm!

Final snow tally was around 18-19 inches here. Plenty of wind, so there wasn’t much left on the trees and we had some impressive drifts.  Much to our surprise, we never lost power or Internet satellite.  But since we live on a side-side road, we won’t see a plow until later this week.  That makes all but 4-wheel-drive travel iffy at best, so we’re hunkered down enjoying the change of pace. 

And we dusted off our ancient cross-country ski gear, packed a lunch, and were off for the day.  Here’s the road we live on.  A heavy truck went by at some point during the storm, leaving deep ruts to ski in.

Hmmmm…I don’t remember this tree being here.

We then headed off onto a trail (old dirt road, really)—which looks remarkably like our street under all this snow, except there were no ruts.  Breaking trail was a solid workout, using some muscles that definitely don’t get used running.

After about 5 hours of skiing, it was back for some shoveling, a nice cozy fire, a cold beer, and a wonderful dinner.

Running may not happen for a bit, though. 

Have a good week!

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

3 frozen miles today along with 4 blocks of ice skating to/from the beach to get some running in....sheesh the wind was bad.  I was scheduled for 9 but my brain said....well, we'll skip what my brain said.

Having a terrible time keeping up with my running in a sugar- and alcohol-induced euphoria.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Sue - Little Walter is now requesting a treadmill!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Henrun

La T, LW looks ready to sprint.    

Out for 5 miler this morning post blizzard. Good job snow removal and most of the sidewalks and roads were down to bare pavement. Did get wet shoes at the intersections with the sun melting the snow. Did my usual one way run to enjoy a tailwind. When I finished my run downtown Marj met me with a container of hot soup, having just bought her lunch. Took the T home.

Hard to imagine but the Brooks I wore today I last wore one week ago running on the beach in Florida..-from sand to snow in 7 days!