Masters Running

40's on the Run... Too hot outside, better stay in and watch football (Read 366 times)

jfa

Hi All, I was due for a bad one and I got it this morning. Planned 16m for a long run, struggled to finish with 10m. Underestimated runtime heat (75*-83*) and humidity (91%-87%) Dead and seduced myself to a late start by thinking that summer was over. Oh well ~ Go Giants !!!!

Thanks for getting us going Joe! That humidity will get ya everytime! I can take the 80 degree temp, but mix that with 90% humidity and you got a tough run ahead of you. Still very hot here and of course always humid in the summer. No running this weekend and I don't feel guilty. I got lots and lots of school work done, including preparing my speech which includes 2 visuals and got all my astronomy homework done and completed my Legal Terminology assisgnment and quiz. That's my online class. I hate online quizzes. They are timed and my fingers start sweating right when I click the start quiz link. A tad bit of housework (bathrooms) and I'm now gonna go watch some football! Hot diggity dog, the Colts won! Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Yuppers, football day here, too. The Hub is an avid (rabid?) football fan. Especially college ball. He and his buddy are going back to Notre Dame at home in a couple of weeks. He's so excited, he can hardly stand it. Been a HUGE ND fan since he was a kid. Also, housework day, too. Even managed to mop my kitchen floor for the first time in . . . well . . . just a little while. Thought it'd be a waste of time to do it before we canned last weekend, which was right on the money. Trying to figure out my race schedule for next year. Gotta make it work with conferences. This may be tough if I end up with a new job. Think a new boss would mind if I was gone for at least a 3-day weekend every month? Maybe I'll be able to negotiate 4 work days a week. (Just saw a commercial on TV that the show "Knight Rider" is coming back. Wasn't that stupid the first time around? Or am I the only one who thought so?"

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Thanks Joe, heat and humidity will zap my runs quicker than anything!! Jewels wow school is keeping you hopping this weekend. Round 2 of the Achilles tendonitis hit yesterday. Too muddy to run out here so went to town and ran the 5 k course too fast so between the harder surface and fast pace I was fired up pretty good last night to the point of limping again. I was going to try for a 12 miler today but after yesterday figured that would just about put me down for the year and settled for a very slow 4 and seemed to get along ok. Tendons never felt good during the run but not terrible either and feel pretty good this evening as opposed to how I felt last night. Got the run done and grabbed a bite and some more coffee then hooked up grain cart we put the scales in to the tractor, lifted it off the jack stands and powered up the console and wah la!! I stepped up on the tongue and it weighed me correctly YAY!!! Moved that rig out of the way and pulled the auto steer tractor with grain drill (wheat seeder) up to the shop and finished it up and then roaded it to the first field. Moved the semi with wheat seed out by the bins, dropped the forklift off the 4020 tractor (90hp little) hooked it up to an auger and swung the hopper under the semi. Then we hooked the 2.5 ton truck to a seed tender and ran that rig under the auger and loaded 200 bushel of seed. Then we hooked my ford pickup to a 1000 gallon liquid fertilizer trailer and pumped it full from storage. We moved both rigs to the field filled with seed and fert and spent the rest of the afternoon dialing in down pressure, seeding depth and rate and fertilizer rate. Satisfied with all we called it a day 'bout 6:30pm after only seeding about 8-10 acres but will go fast now, just get in and go. The fall farming campaign is now underway so I guess a good time to cut back and get healthy. No substantial races on the calendar, maybe shoot for a spring HM somewhere.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Dang, this is one hard working group! Joe, I hear you on the bad run. Haven't run since my stinker on Friday. Wicked humidity monster is going to kill us all. I'm getting back in the saddle tomorrow morning...forecast of 61 degrees Smile. How about you? Jewels, sounds like you're doing great balancing school and life. Hope you enjoyed a little let your brain drift football time! Leslie, just tell those new bosses what you need. Best time to negotiate is before you accept the job. Looking forward to hearing of your planned adventures for 2009. And yes, Knight Rider seemed pretty silly to me too. Something about a car named "Kit", right? R2, sounds like some rest is what you need, though your idea of rest is a little...um...different. I shuddered at the realization that my vehicle inspection is due this month, so cannot imagine maintaining all that equipment. Hurricane Ike was thankfully a non-event here, as it tracked east a bit quicker than they thought. Just a few breezes, and a little rain, and more wicked humidity. But we have since had a cool front, and...have I mentioned it's supposed to be 61 degrees in the morning? Big grin Have a great week!
            Progress Trumps Pefection
            saltyd

Hi Everyone, Wow, everyone is so busy with school work, housework, and crop work. My weekend was spent mostly doing housework, it just seems to never get caught up. Then I thought I would take the '77 VW Bug Convertible for a cruise, and once I got it started, it was leaking gasoline! Not a good thing. I had to leave it in the driveway, so it wouldn't leak gas in the garage, and the smell into the house. Today is time to call the mechanic, then the tow truck. This week I go back for my 4 week check up after my surgery. I should get the go ahead to start running. I went for a brisk walk Saturday, and it felt so good, but many times along the way I wanted to just start jogging. But I held back. It's still a little too warm in the afternoon after work to go outside, but the mornings on the weekends are nice. So weekdays are treadmill days, then the weekends I get to play outside. Big grin Salty
              Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
                Morning, folks! Salty - Nice to hear from you! Has it already been 4 weeks? Wow. Sounds like you're doing good, and congratulations in NOT breaking into a jog before doc says it's OK. Wink Carol - Happy to hear Ike missed you guys. Boy, was Galveston hit hard, though. I just can't imagine. Farmer Jim - There's just no rest for the wicked, is there? Smile Sorry to hear about the Achilles, but you were smart to dial it back for now. Sounds like maybe it wasn't 100% yet. Take care of yourself. 5.22 miles this a.m. with 4 30-second hill sprints at the end. The 5 miles went by really fast, more than likely because I was running stories through my head again. No, I'm not nuts - at least I don't think so. Confused I'm an avid reader and have always wanted to write something, even if just for myself eyes and no one else's. Kind of getting to the point where I think, well, what are you waiting for? It ain't gonna write itself! Have a great week, everyone!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

I guess it's a "Good Afternoon!" Thanks for starting us out Joe...sorry 'bout the sucky run Sad I think we all get those sometimes...that H&H woulda kicked my butt too! Sounds like you're rolling well w/the homework Jewels! Smile always feels good to get a load done! Leslie: don't forget to consider when we're all getting together whilst working out your race schedule Wink....we never did work out what we should do.....?? Carol: GLAD Ike missed you guys!! also glad it didn't kick up to a high cat 4 like they thought it was going to!!! Galveston looks pretty bad as it is! So, did you get a little run in the cooler temps this am? Diana: Good to hear from you...& it's wonderful that you're healing so quickly! hopefully Doc will kick ya loose any day now! Jim: on second thought, mebbe I DONT wanna do cross training w/you guys!! Evil grin you work waaaay too hard! I didn't watch FB yesterday - just some of the highlights on eve news...although it would've been a cool game to have been able to make/go to...home opener...granddaughter's 1st season game on the field @ halftime as a Junior Denver Broncos Cheerleader Cool ...It was just that I'd spent the entire week cleaning house & prepping for a houseFULL of guests for my niece's bachelorette party! (wedding is next wknd) 16 people staying @ my house through the wknd!!...and I did get in 18m w/the TNT folks on Saturday am - just barely before the 1st 5 showed up! Was a bit hardish - just never had a point where it got "easy" but was still motoring along w/o too much trouble & then came up on a couple of the women having much bigger issues - one having some muscle spasms, another having some intense foot pain...since this is supposed to be a "team effort" and I myself was having a bit of a sucky run anyway....I walked w/them in to a point where a coach could come pick them up (4 miles reeeal slow) then jogged the rest of the way in myself...my feet really didn't like walking that far in the middle of a long run!! so I guess I actually only ran 14 miles of the 18 I traveled... And THEN the coaches ganged up on me & told me that they want me to knock off the boot camp & other "extra" stuff until the marathon! "Just follow the training schedule as it is. Nothing else!" WTH!? I was nearly the last one off the course because I stayed with a couple of women having a difficult day - not because I was injured!! Aww well, maybe it's a good idea anyway..I was planning to drop boot camp in another week or two anyway.....except that the TNT schedule by itself is only about 60% of the mileage that my other schedule calls for...?? I'll chew on that a bit.. 5 weeks to go...and I am REALLY looking fwd to just going out for a run just for the sake of running! Rest day (as in no run) on Sunday (but w/a couple of cocktails) & felt sleep deprived the whole day!! Got in 6.9 rolling hilly miles w/Mairead this am though...@ a pretty steady 10:58 pc/155 AHR not too bad after the insane wknd! Tongue Doug didn't get his long run in for the wknd either....didn't get any runs in whatsoever due to....stuff! and he has a HM next Sunday...I'm volunteering to hand out Gatorade Wink free tech shirt for "working" it!
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Leslie: don't forget to consider when we're all getting together whilst working out your race schedule Wink....we never did work out what we should do.....??
                    Actually, that crossed my mind when I was looking at stuff in Utah, if a destination run ends up being possible. Since we have direct flights from Arcata to Salt Lake City now, it might be a bit cheaper. Oops - gotta go!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Kelly - congrats to Jack, what an amazing achievement! I looked at the topos and maps and that route ain't no joke! Looks like a potential for lots of exposure to extreme temps. Joe - ugh, sorry to hear that you had a bad day.. seems to me that even though we learn that bad days happen, they're still...well...um...bad. Jewels - keep on plugging away with your classes! All my, shall we say, "mature" students are the stars...people who have been through some knocks and who know what hard work really means. Leslie- mopping, schmopping. Forget that. Tell hub to pay for a cleaning lady, you've got a run to do while he watches football with his fat pals (then run and duck...) Evil grin Jim - I don't know exactly why your report is fascinating, but it is, I just imagine you chugging along with machine-like efficiency. I can't believe you do all that and keep a running schedule as well! Carol! It's 61F! Go run! Now! What I'd give for 61 right now! It hasn't been 61 here for months! Salty - OH! I'm so proud of you! It must be so hard to resist just pushing a little bit...sounds as though you're pushing just right! Kelly - Phooey! Only YOU know what you can do, not coaches, take it with a grain of salt. You already know to be careful and listen for warning signs. Some of these coaches seem to get a bit of a god complex, eh? Nothing much new here, just steady miles. As the temps inch slightly lower, it's been nice to see my heartrate go down and pace go up. I think the HR is slightly lower and the pace slightly higher than where I left off in the spring - just a hunch. More important, those little aches and pains I used to feel are almost nonexistent, I think the weeks and months of steady, slow miles are paying off in terms of just hardening up the ol' bod. I'm gonna need it the next 3 - 4 months. Arla

Ex runner

Hi Gang - The Hub and I are home with "intestinal issues" today. I think it's something we ate, but we're not sure what. Needless to say, running is not a good idea. Need to go find the diaper rash lotion. Big grin Big grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

EEEEWWWWWW!!!!!! Leslie! Tight lipped No Upon my feelings of training madness....ahem, missing just running for the sake of running....Me & Mairead did a little creek migration this am....w/a coupla bursts interspersed to it would look like a "real" run to the log Big grin....6.92 mi in 90 mins....auto-pause said we messed around in the creek for a total of 22 mins.... Wink 61* F/28% H beeootifully clear blue CO am Smile
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            Hiya 40ish peoples! Salty, glad to see you are up and almost running. Your treadmill w/ weekend rewards plan sounds good. How's your bug doing? So Leslie, what type of book would you write? Sounds like something you should pursue since the passion for it continues to crop up. We all benefit your writing here, so why not share with others? Cindy, good job helping your TNT teammates. Having to bag a run and catch a ride home really sucks, but I have a feeling that you kept things light and fun even in the midst of adversity. Sounds like you and Maired had a great migration. We constantly remind ourselves here that it's all about the dogs, so good that you too have figured that out! Arla, sorry it's still stinkin' hot where you are! Sounds like slow and steady mileage is really benefitting you. I think that's called a base, or so I've heard Smile. Speaking of stinkin', well, Leslie, hope you put your troubles behind you soon Blush Wow, this cooler weather is making me feel soooo much better! Just in time for 10K this weekend Smile Yesterday morning was 5 miles avg 10:36 pace w/ hills in the last mile. I looked back at same time last year, and had a 5 mile run on Monday the week of the very same 10K. Last year's 5 miler was at 10:29 pace and a slightly higher heart rate. So now I'm wondering if I can beat my time from last year afterall (9:40 ish pace). So I did a little 3 mile tempo/progression this morning (10:25, 9:28, 9:17) followed by hills. It is within the realm of possibility and will no doubt depend on how much race day adrenaline can carry me through, how I'm feeling that day, etc. Geez, I was wondering on Friday if I'd even bother to show up, and now all this swirling in my head. Is it possible to be bi-polar just about running?
                            Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Hi Folks ~ busy buncha bipeds we are... Carol- Good Luck with your race!!! Sounds like you have a good handle on it. I try to plan (start out)conservatively then see how you feel on the course. Glad Ike missed you, so many areas,as you know, that were not so lucky. Happy too that it's cooled off for you. Arla- your log (I peeked) is a model of consisitency. Good Job! Great when you see and feel results from all the workouts that you've done.Good news that it's cooler for you too. Leslie- hope DH and yourself are feeling better.I'll refrain from the very obvious jokes that could come up in such a situation. Aw crap, one snuck out. Evil grin And Carol's right, whatta ya waiting for? Write a lot and often and see where it goes.You write very well here. Cindy- you're making me and Buddy jealous with all that creek fun.Nothing he likes better than to get as wet and muddy as possible.Good luck to Doug in his race. Wtg helping out those ladies.Maybe coach is right,after all,you do have a marathon coming up! Salty- you'll be picking up the pace soon enough.Good job listening to Doc and taking it easy. Hope those temps drop for you as well. Jewels- sounds like you have your hands full with school.You must be worn out by the end of the day from juggling all that! How did you become a Colts fan? Are you from Baltimore or Indiana? Jim- just wanted to let you know that I'm not dissing you by putting you at the bottom of our posts.Us guys have to stick together but ladies first, ya know! Take it easy on your bod so you can have a good fall of running. Sounds like you're doing enough working out from working! Back in the saddle tonight for 8.5m @ 9:30 ish around the other reservoir. It's a paved 1.6m loop so I tend to feel like a hamster after 5 loops. Worked on my pushup plan and finally (on the sixth try) got through w6d1 !!! That is sets in this order; 50 + 40 + 36 +30 + 51 = 207. All with only a short break in between. Whew ,that was tough. Somehow soon Confused all this is going to be able to allow me to do a 100 pushups in a row !!?!? Confused Confused I think this willl require a bit more practice...... Have a good Weds Cool

Cindy - I hear ya about running just for the sake of running. Just wait 'til you start tapering. It'll drive you a little nuts. Smile Carol - You'll do great this weekend. Very nice that cooler temps have stuck around. We're definitely getting Fall weather now. Blush We didn't get much of a summer this year, so it sort of sucks. Re the book I'd like to write - I have a real cornball one going through my head right now, but I've always wanted to write one about my mom. Not to be a downer, but she suffered for a long time from rheumatoid arthritis and other physical problems due to the medication taken to combat the RA, but was a really phenomenal woman when it came to forgetting about her own ailments and supporting others. She was a pretty special lady. It would take quite a bit of research and sitting down with my dad and other family members to get the whole story. The problem is figuring the time to do it. Anyway - Feeling better tonight! Will definitely run in the a.m. And am considering running this in December: http://www.othtc.com/ultra/index.htm An aunt and uncle live in Ridgecrest - free lodging!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance