Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 12.18.17 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3 morning TM miles + 2 Titan’s game TM miles)
    Marj (4 cross-Brooklyn Bridge miles in low 30s temps)
    Henrun (ditto what Marj said)
    Quickadder (7.6 post-rain trail miles with DD)
    Holly (15.34 miles in 36° temps with a chill breeze)
    C-R (11.7 trail miles in temps in the low 30s with deer and downed trees)
    Metalmancpa (10.8 miles at 8:37 pace in 30° temps over unfrozen water?)
    StarrRuns (3 mile run with photo stops)
    Tramps (approx 20 mile bike ride in dark and raw weather)
    Dave (Winter Series 5K in 24:54 for fastest pace since 3/15 and race PR)
    Wildchild (10 new trail miles with a group)

Twocat (20 miles, not at MP)

Mike (6 pre-church miles)

Deeze (Jingle Bell Run 5K in 26:35 - 21/219 AG)

Evanflein (11+ tough, not glamorous miles)

Tammy (12.5 morning trail miles with friends and a dog)

Thanks for your thoughts about chilling down during a workout. For those of you who get cold hands, I highly recommend Saucony mittens. They are great by themselves in moderate weather, and with varying glove liners, can be effective (for me) to temps in the single digits.

Quickadder, if you are curious about race finances, look to see if the race is a fundraiser, or put on by a for-profit race organizer. In my 5K fundraiser, we try to get enough sponsorships to cover our costs (about $6-8,000) so the entry fees can go to the beneficiary. We try to be in the low-midrange of entry fees, which has been about $25 for the past few years.

HAPPY ANIVERSARY,  Falconfixer!

Congrats on some great racing, Dave59 and Deeze!

Great pics, Wildchild and StarrRuns and Tammy!

Hang in there, Deeze. I imagine there will be more ups and downs with Justin, and I just hope there are more and longer-lasting ups than downs.

Surly Bill, any race around here (fundraiser or not) requires permits, probably police detail (depending on the course), insurance, etc. etc. Quite often the 2 biggest expense items for any race are the timing service and race shirts. Permits and insurance can be a nuisance to secure, but permits are usually free or with a nominal admin. charge, and insurance is often among the least expensive items to pay for (a couple of hundred dollars), and well-worth it if something unfortunate happens.

We had done earlier Christmas shopping online, and finished yesterday at some local stores (stopping at a local coffee shop for a cafe mocha), and were happy to support them.Today is shipping day.

Today is normally my SRD, but I felt like getting out for a bit, so I did a short 3.5 mile pre-dawn RW workout in 17° temps. I wore some new compression socks under my tights and wasn't impressed. Meebe I shouldn't wear them with tights, or perhaps they make more of a difference on a longer workout.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

metalmancpa

Good morning all, and thanks for the usual start and recap coastwalker.

Rest day for me today. Yesterday could potentially be the last run of 2017 for me, not by choice, but by a simple act of stupidity. I stubbed my toe last night, something I have done many times over my life. This time though I think I caught it perfectly, and it feels & looks like I could have broken it, if not a bad sprain...

I do have a tendency to be a clutz, but this one just plain hurt. Debating if I go to the Dr or just R.I.C.E. and stay off it since there really isn't much that can be done. Not to happy with myself to have a self-inflicted wound derail me.

Ugh.  That looks terrible!

3 miles- got a late start but got out the door.  Drizzly but not really "rain", so out I went.  Seems gloomy and dark, but at least fresh air!

2.2 miles after work on the dreadmill.  Just a couple weeks left to hold off the pace bunny.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Nice pics yesterday.  Today, not so much.  

5-miler this morning. Yay!  I've been slowly building up to this distance, hoping the knee would hold up okay. It pretty much has but I don't intend to push it any further.  5 miles, every other day, EZ pace only; that's as far I'm going to push.  Enough to get some exercise without triggering a flare-up.

Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Nice pics yesterday.  Today, not so much.  

Woo hoo Tramps! Nice 5 miler this morning! Easy does it now...

Good morning Jay and RunnerKSA.  Thanks for the weekend recap and nice neighborhood treks for both of you this morning.

It was downright balmy here this morning. 30° and no wind. The main roads were mostly clear of snow. Side roads? Not so much. And I'd rather run in snow than slush and rutted down tire tracks. 6.2 miles and 15 minutes of weights and core.

I had my three grandsons over yesterday to help me frost and decorate Christmas cookies. It took us about an hour. Then it took me 4 hours to clean up the kitchen after they left.

Hope everyone has a great start to their week!

Dave59

4 miles in the park this morning. Dark, 40°, and a light mist.

The winter series here consists of a 3 mile, 4 mile, and 5 mile runs. No cumulative scoring. 10 year age groups with awards 3-deep for each race. If you sign up for all 3 three and show up to the last one you get a long sleeve shirt.

Still feeling good about my last mile yesterday, My loose, would be nice, kind of goal for next year is to get my 5k times down to an 8:00 minute per mile pace. For the level of effort I put into "training" that is what I consider a good time.  So hitting that pace for 1 of the miles yesterday was nice.  Before the race I was talking to a guy from work at the back of the "pack".  (Only 104 people so not a big pack.)  What that allowed me to do is pass people for the whole race and that gives me motivation to push as much as my legs & lungs can take.  During the last mile I would catch up to this young man (12-15?) who was running with someone I assumed was his father. He was struggling but it was just a mental struggle because every time I caught up to him he would take off.  I wasn't trying to beat him but I was having fun making him go faster than he wanted to go.  Tweaking him is what helped me run such a good last mile.  It took everything I had to catch back up to him every time he finished one of his surges. He blazed far ahead in the last quarter mile.

I enjoy going to local races. I ran 15 this year which probably consistent with past years. I don't like races where you have to sign up in advance to secure a spot, worry about parking or bathrooms. But give me 50-300 locals running a fun run and I enjoy pushing myself and having some fun.

Well, I guess I better get back to work. After working all day Saturday my motivation is low this morning. People are already pushing for the next project. They never let up.

Dave59

I had my three grandsons over yesterday to help me frost and decorate Christmas cookies. It took us about an hour. Then it took me 4 hours to clean up the kitchen after they left.

My wife has pictures of me making cookies with my daughters when they were little. They "helped" roll out the dough, cut them, and then decorate them. I was covered in flour and super frustrated. It's funny looking back now and I wish I could go back and tell myself to enjoy the time more.

Thanks so much for the recap, Jay.  No time to comment except that that is not a pretty toe, metalman!

Dave, I so enjoy making cookies with the kids but didn't try to do that by myself this year.  When all six of them are awake they can be a handful, much less baking in the kitchen!

Here is a picture from our Christmas weekend.  Not easy to get them lined up and sitting still by yourself either. This looks like the moon in the window but it is just the lamp reflection!

Youngest grandson, I think he is pretty cute.

And from my run yesterday, yeah twocat I know I took a lot....

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

It's funny looking back now and I wish I could go back and tell myself to enjoy the time more.

+1

I remember one Easter when we poked the ends of eggs and made little creatures out of the hollowed out shells, bumble bees and butterflies and such, and hung them on the ceiling fan over the dining room table.  Then DS accidentally flipped the switch, turning the fan on high, and the little egg-critters went flying off into the wall - splat! splat! splat!  All that work, gone in a matter of seconds... but looking back it is hilarious.

Starr - beautiful pics!

Metalman - hopefully it will heal quickly.

No run for me today, just 40 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

I wish I could go back and tell myself to enjoy the time more.

There's an app for that (sort of).

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

It's funny looking back now and I wish I could go back and tell myself to enjoy the time more.

Dave, this could be the quote of the day. And I like your approach to racing, good for you to make that kid work for it!

Metalmancpa, you might try taping that toe to the one next to it to keep it straight and limit movement. I heard that's about the best treatment for a broken toe. Sorry about that, I hate stubbing my toe!

Jlynne, I think four hours clean up for one hour of cookie decorating is about the right ratio!

Tramps, funny app. Not sure I'd want that on my phone.

I think yesterday's run took a lot out of me. I just crashed early last night (early for me is 9:30) and slept all night. Today is another snowy day and I just can't deal with that again so it's probably a rest day if I don't run on the TM tonight. Which I probably won't...

...'cept for The Foot,

we got some pretty cute pics today...........

==========

PT tomorrow,

plan to go over what I may have done wrong this weekend

....a token 20-min x-bike today

............good Running to Ya.....................and Non-Stubbing to metalmancpa.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good morning all, and thanks for the usual start and recap coastwalker.

Rest day for me today. Yesterday could potentially be the last run of 2017 for me, not by choice, but by a simple act of stupidity. I stubbed my toe last night, something I have done many times over my life. This time though I think I caught it perfectly, and it feels & looks like I could have broken it, if not a bad sprain...

I do have a tendency to be a clutz, but this one just plain hurt. Debating if I go to the Dr or just R.I.C.E. and stay off it since there really isn't much that can be done. Not to happy with myself to have a self-inflicted wound derail me.

I don't know what's wrong with everyone else.

but I've never seen a bare foot I didn't like, . . .

at least in the proper perspective. Smile.

Almost two hours of up-and-down 1,202 of the 1,686 stairs on the city's stair climbing map and getting to-and-from them.

Sayin' prayers and counting our blessings as current events make us do all the time nowadays, this time arriving to the news of multiple fatalities on the Amtrak to Portland I take down there all the time.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

1.2 easy miles to stay in the holiday challenge

Finished up what I plan on doing for Christmas shopping - just need to bag everything and get a few cards.

Finally talked with Justin's case manager today - he signed a release this afternoon. They realize he is still off and working on adjusting meds... and we just keep on moving forward.

Tet - thankful you were not on the train today!! Praying for all those affected!!

Starr - beautiful grandbabies and beautiful photos!!

denise

8.25 on the east Bay ridge trails, 820' of elevation gain, 8:51

As usual, there were people walking and carrying "trekking poles". They seem to function more as weights around here than as an aid for hiking. Saw a couple "real runners" at the trailhead, which is rare. Overheard them talking about a recent workout at college, 8 miles with :15 second cutdown each mile starting at 7:00 and ending with a 5:00. Made me feel old.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying